Thread: offical wuxia translations coming out

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Cool offical wuxia translations coming out

looks like the the book and the sword aren't the only translations coming out from jin yong.

The Book and the Sword (書劍恩仇錄) - published by Oxford University Press, translated by Graham Earnshaw, edits by John Minford and Rachel May
    The Deer and the Cauldron (鹿鼎記) (in three volumes) - published by Oxford University Press, translated by John Minford
    The Legend of the Condor Heroes (射鵰英雄傳) - forthcoming from John Minford and Oxford University Press
    Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain (雪山飛狐) - published by the China University Press, translated by Olivia Mok

looks like we'll have more choices from now on.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Deer and Cauldron's been out for a few years... so has Olivia Mok's

As for John Minford's LOCH, we will be finished it here long before him
    havent come up with a good one yet..

I couldn't read past a few pages in Olivia Mok's translation. It doesn't read too well for my taste.

I did enjoy John Minford's Deer and Cauldron although I do wonder how much he had cut off to make it to three books. I wished he hadn't abridged it.

I felt like punching someone while reading John Minford's The Deer and The Cauldron. Talking about going way overboard when dumbing it down for Western readers. In fact, all of them have the same problem. Western readers who seek translated Chinese novels aren't bogans/rednecks. They can understand or figure out for themselves the subtleties (which aren't hard anyway).

In all of those, The Book and The Sword was the only one I thought was alright.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Why waste money on JY translation novels when we have free translations available in this forums? The quality should be somewhat same, if not better in here.
    ..ext88

I borrowed two books through my library, The Deer and Cauldron: Volume 2 and Book and Sword that just barely became available. After skimming through each book I would return them the day after. When I found out the protangonist for The Deer and Cauldron was renamed Trinket I was discouraged immediately. The translations for pressure points sounded cheesy to me. The Book and Sword looked more well putted together but couldn't bring myself to read it either. However, it's great to hear that Legend of the Condor Heroes is coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    After skimming through each book I would return them the day after. When I found out the protangonist for The Deer and Cauldron was renamed Trinket I was discouraged immediately.
    Wei Xiaobao ~ Trinket.
    ..ext88

I read Book & Sword. I enjoyed it. I think it's rather good. I didn't know the original story in Chinese, but from bit & pieces I picked up from this forum, it was pretty faithful.

I really wanted to buy The Deer & The Couldron before, but since I found out that they changed the names, I decided not to.

The Flying Fox by Olivia Mox, is it a comic or a novel? Where can I find it? I don't think I've seen it on Amazon.com

I enjoyed the Book and Sword in English too but because I read the translated version in Burmese years ago, I felt something was missing. Our language can be very poetic and the novel became so sweet and poignant because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    I felt like punching someone while reading John Minford's The Deer and The Cauldron. Talking about going way overboard when dumbing it down for Western readers. In fact, all of them have the same problem. Western readers who seek translated Chinese novels aren't bogans/rednecks. They can understand or figure out for themselves the subtleties (which aren't hard anyway).
    It helps that I haven't read this novel in Burmese or English before. I did notice that whenever he describes fight scenes, I just couldn't get into them like I could with ROCH, LOCH or Lanny's Smiling Proud Wanderer translations. They sounded all weird. I would have preferred him not to translate the names but given that his translation was quite fluent and the story was so much fun, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    The Legend of the Condor Heroes ( 射鵰英雄傳 ) - forthcoming from John Minford and Oxford University Press

Can someone please tell me more about this?

Some say it's discontinued, some say it's delayed indefinitely and some say it's nonexistent.

Thanks for any news.

It's almost an insurmontable problem to come up with meaningful and catchy English names for wuxia characters.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    It's almost an insurmontable problem to come up with meaningful and catchy English names for wuxia characters.
    It's not. The solution is that names should never be translated, but footnoted instead.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."