Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is HSDS related to LOCH and ROCH?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Default How is HSDS related to LOCH and ROCH?

HSDS doesn't exactly talk about the characters of L/ROCH nor does it talk about a Condor (or does it)? So why is it part of the Condor trilogy?

PS: Sorry...I'm not "that" familar with HSDS...

Well, for one thing, the book starts with a quote from Qiu Chu Ji.

Many people are seeking the heavens sword and dragon slaying saber
    which were created by Gj and HR I believe
    also descendents from YG and XLN are in there

The Yellow Dressed Lady in HSDS is believed to be the granddaughter of YG and XLN.

The E Mei sect was created by Guo Xiang.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Moreover, the weapons contained the 9 Yum Jen Ging (plus Gwok Jing's other essential martial arts skills) and Ngok Fei's war tactics manual. It also dealt with the final arc of the Mongols' invasion and occupation of China (which began in LOCH, continued in ROCH, and finally ended after HSDS).

Gwok Seung appeared in the first chapter of the novel (and was later referred back to constantly as the founder of the Ngor Mei Sect, which had a prominent role in HSDS). The entire epilogue to ROCH (the final Mt. Hua scene) set up the beginning of HSDS.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    also descendents from YG and XLN are in there

I heard that a girl in "yellow" is believed to be YG+XLN decendant but how long does this girl stay in the book? Whole story? One chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    I heard that a girl in "yellow" is believed to be YG+XLN decendant but how long does this girl stay in the book? Whole story? One chapter?
    She makes some quick cameos towards the end of the story.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    She makes some quick cameos towards the end of the story.
    Ehh so that means she isn't of "much" importance to the story . I'm really curious how is HSDS considered the 3rd installment of the Condor trilogy when it takes place 100 years after ROCH...and it doesn't really have much to do with L/ROCH. It could have just been a separate story...

The first 2 chapters of HSDS take place only 2-3 years after the end of ROCH. HSDS is a continuation of ROCH.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Ehh so that means she isn't of "much" importance to the story . I'm really curious how is HSDS considered the 3rd installment of the Condor trilogy when it takes place 100 years after ROCH...and it doesn't really have much to do with L/ROCH. It could have just been a separate story...
    Without the setup of L/ROCH, HSDS would not have happened the way it did. Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's creation of the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre was the foundation of the whole story. Their death and defeat between ROCH and HSDS established the Mongol occupation of China which provided the setting and context of HSDS. Their daughter Gwok Seung founded the Ngor Mei Sect. Finally, a likely descendant of Yeung Gor functioned as a deux ex machina when it seemed that all was lost.

Even Cheung 3 Fung's road to martial arts Greathood began in the final chapter of ROCH when he met all the surviving Greats of ROCH at the summit of Mt. Hua.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The first 2 chapters of HSDS take place only 2-3 years after the end of ROCH. HSDS is a continuation of ROCH.
    I know HSDS is the continuation of ROCH but it doesn't talk much about the characters except that you said the first two chapter is about the continuation of ROCH...how about the other chapters?

I know HSDS is the continuation of ROCH but it doesn't talk much about the characters except that you said the first two chapter is about the continuation of ROCH...how about the other chapters?
    The characters have changed, but the saga continues. The events of HSDS happen as a consequence of events that happened in LOCH and ROCH. It doesn't have to be about the Gwok and Yeung families to be part of the same story. The overall underlying motif is the Chinese resistance against the Mongol invaders.

TommyH
    Unregistered

So the Condor trilogy centers around the rise and fall of the Mongolian Yuan Dynasty? Cheung 3 Fung had a relation with who...was it Kwok Seung?

So the Condor trilogy centers around the rise and fall of the Mongolian Yuan Dynasty? Cheung 3 Fung had a relation with who...was it Kwok Seung?
    They were good friends. Young Cheung Gwun Bo (later Cheung 3 Fung) had had a crush on Gwok Seung since he first saw her at Mt. Hua when he was 13 and she was 16, but she was (ironically) hung up on Yeung Gor, so an intimate relationship between the two wasn't going to happen.

The two did found the most prominent new martial arts schools in the Post-ROCH era, however: Mo Dong Sect and Ngor Mei Sect.

TommyH
    Unregistered

They were good friends. Young Cheung Gwun Bo (later Cheung 3 Fung) had had a crush on Gwok Seung since he first saw her at Mt. Hua when he was 13 and she was 16, but she was (ironically) hung up on Yeung Gor, so an intimate relationship between the two wasn't going to happen.

The two did found the most prominent new martial arts schools in the Post-ROCH era, however: Mo Dong Sect and Ngor Mei Sect.
    So that means Kwok Seung found NgorMei? Isn't Ngor Mei for nuns? So that means Kwok Seung became a nun?

So that means Kwok Seung found NgorMei? Isn't Ngor Mei for nuns? So that means Kwok Seung became a nun?
    Yes, she did. She never found Yeung Gor, and later learned that her entire family perished at Seung Yeung. I imagine the older Gwok Seung was a very unhappy woman, and drowned her sorrows in martial arts and Buddhism.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Yes, she did. She never found Yeung Gor, and later learned that her entire family perished at Seung Yeung. I imagine the older Gwok Seung was a very unhappy woman, and drowned her sorrows in martial arts and Buddhism.
    Yeung Gor is how much older than her? He was...20? when she was borned...by the time she gets old enough to start liking...Yeung Gor'd be around 40 or high 30's...

Yeung Gor is how much older than her? He was...20? when she was borned...by the time she gets old enough to start liking...Yeung Gor'd be around 40 or high 30's...
    Yeung Gor was about 36 years old at the end of ROCH. Yes, Gwok Seung's infatuation with Yeung Gor was a bit creepy considering their age difference. He was old enough to be her father (and, he was a married man).

TommyH
    Unregistered

Yeung Gor was about 36 years old at the end of ROCH. Yes, Gwok Seung's infatuation with Yeung Gor was a bit creepy considering their age difference. He was old enough to be her father (and, he was a married man).
    I'm glad JY didn't make her some stupid character who goes at any rate to gain YG's love.

I'm glad JY didn't make her some stupid character who goes at any rate to gain YG's love.
    Well, it wasn't for lack of trying. She just couldn't find him.

I think Gwok Seung pined away for Yeung Gor until the day she died.