Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret History of Kang Xi Emperor 《康熙秘史》 - Xia Yu,wallace Zhong,Hu Jing

Default Secret History of Kang Xi Emperor 《康熙秘史》 - Xia Yu,wallace Zhong,Hu Jing

http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/f/kchmsh/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2006-04-10/U1343P28T3D1044836F326DT20060410182459.jpg')

the forth one...um...chaerim is in too...Hu Jing is cute in this pix...
    TVB'7=Raymond+S4+Chris+Vin

Thanks for the pix! I didn't know they were going to have a 4th installment of the Mi Shi series?? I didn't really watch any of them all the way through. I may see this one. Hu Jing looks really cute and pretty!!I guess Ning Jing will not be in here...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

anyone have a summary for this?

Default A summary please!?

To Spcnet.tv/forum members,

Hey, how is everyone doing? Is everybody busy for the holiday season? Hehehe!

Personally, I have fallen helplessly in love with the first three "Mu Shi" series. I mean everything about them is just so spectacular! I cannot get enough of all the romances, character developments, powerful dialogues, and delicate situations with a historical background!

With this in mind, I am so ecstatic to find out there is a fourth installment in the "Mi Shi" series. I cannot wait to see it.

By the way, I have always loved spoilers! So, can someone please give me a summary for this series? I mean Emperor Kang Xi would obviously be the protagonist; however, what would this story be about and what secret(s) did it reveal in this series. The second installment, "Huang Tai Zi Mi Shi," was about Emperor Kang Xi's beloved second son, the twice dethroned Crown Prince, with Emperor Kang Xi playing a supporting lead role. So, I am assuming the storyline in this series would be very much similar?

Hmm, I am extremely interested in this series. Hence, if any members have other information, summaries, or character analysis, please share them with me.

Oh, I have one last question. Why is there a Korean actress in this series? Is it very common to have joint productions between Chinese and Korean nowadays? Also, what role is she portraying?

Thanks,

ChaeRim do many China series...

Bought this series mainly because Chaerim was acting in it. However what really got me hooked on it was Wallace Chung’s portrayal of Na Lan Rong Ruo, Kang Xi's advisor. His character was gallant and noble. He was also a brilliant scholar who was not afraid to speak his mind. He could be rash and naive at times but I guess this is what makes him so adorable.

This series is mainly about the young emperor Kang Xi growing to maturity to take hold of the reins of the kingdom. Xiao Yu was also quite good at portraying the cocky and spoilt young emperor who was used to getting his own way. He was very impatient to get control of the throne and this led to many strained moments with his mother who had taken over the running of the empire when the late king died.

My favourite scenes are the ones which show the confrontations between Na Lan Rong Ruo and Kang Xi. One particular confrontation was when Na Lan Rong Ruo rashly burnt the letter which could pardon him from any death sentence in front of the king. Kang Xi had given the letter to him in gratitude to him earlier and it was a great insult to the king. Another was when Na Lan Rong Ruo fought with Kang Xi not knowing that he was the king. The confrontations between the two of them are the highlights of this interesting series.
    Below are two pics of Wallace Chung's character - Na Lan Rong Ruo - couldn't help but adore his portrayal.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2006-12-04/U1735P28T3D1355463F326DT20061204150113.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://cimg2.163.com/ent/2006/11/28/20061128182904818ce.jpg')

It would not have been Kang Xi's mother, but grandmother (Dowager Empress Xiao Zhuang posthumously, she was never Empress since her husband died before her son ascended with the regency) who was taking over the reigns of running the country.

Also, it's "Mi Shi", not "Mu Shi".
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by myedi View Post
    ChaeRim do many China series...
    why are u mad?? i think it's a good thing.. i gotten sick modern series of korea.. though i was a fan of theirs for some time.. seeing a ancient series gives it a break... CR is quite a good actress.. though i hate these types of half bald series...plus kang xi thing.. getting so boring...

Oh... is this drama out yet? Seems like the plot is kinda interesting with KangXi & NaLan XingDe. I like the 3rd Mi Shi show, Tai Zu Mi Shi.

I only like chae rim in modern dramas..newayz.. got to see this

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia Lee View Post
    Bought this series mainly because Chaerim was acting in it. However what really got me hooked on it was Wallace Chung’s portrayal of Na Lan Rong Ruo, Kang Xi's advisor. His character was gallant and noble. He was also a brilliant scholar who was not afraid to speak his mind. He could be rash and naive at times but I guess this is what makes him so adorable.

This series is mainly about the young emperor Kang Xi growing to maturity to take hold of the reins of the kingdom. Xiao Yu was also quite good at portraying the cocky and spoilt young emperor who was used to getting his own way. He was very impatient to get control of the throne and this led to many strained moments with his mother who had taken over the running of the empire when the late king died.

My favourite scenes are the ones which show the confrontations between Na Lan Rong Ruo and Kang Xi. One particular confrontation was when Na Lan Rong Ruo rashly burnt the letter which could pardon him from any death sentence in front of the king. Kang Xi had given the letter to him in gratitude to him earlier and it was a great insult to the king. Another was when Na Lan Rong Ruo fought with Kang Xi not knowing that he was the king. The confrontations between the two of them are the highlights of this interesting series.
    Below are two pics of Wallace Chung's character - Na Lan Rong Ruo - couldn't help but adore his portrayal.
    With respect to Alicia Lee,

I am glad you enjoy this series. I have very high hopes for this series right when I saw the poster and realized this was the fourth installment of the “Mi Shi” series! Since I care so much more for the character development, interesting plots, meaningful dialogues and delicate situations, I would certainly not be watching this series because of Chae Rim. In fact, I do find it a bit strange to cast a Korean actress in a Chinese historical drama. Perhaps this series is not so heavily into history as much as it is for entertainment purposes.

I am so anxious to watch this series, but I have to wait since I am not Chinese; hence, I would have to wait for the Vietnamese-dubbed version. I am pretty sure this series would not have English subtitles. Besides, I really don’t like to watch Chinese series with English subtitles either since the translations are not as accurate as possible. With this in mind, can you please provide a synopsis for this series? Unlike other people, I always like spoilers. Since I pay closer attention to the characters, it really makes little differences whether I know the plot ahead of time or not.

Yup, this is my second desperate cry for a summary of the story!

I would like to know who the main character in here is. Since the title is “Kang Xi Mi Shi,” I am assuming Kang Xi is the main focus. So, does this series mostly depict the relationships between Kang Xi and Na Lan Rong Ruo as ruler/subject and as friends? Yeah, most gallant and noble advisors are certainly not afraid to speak of their mind even if this means offending the Emperor in more than one way. Na Lan Rong Ruo is definitely one of the most admirable ministers; however, if this series follows history closely, then he will have a very tragic ending!

One of the main reasons why I absolutely love the “Mi Shi” series was because they cover sentimental aspects of the imperial family not visible to others. Even significant figures like Huang Taiji, Xiao Zhuang, Nurhachi and Kang Xi had to undergo major challenges and struggles before they can become successful. The series did not portray them as the born-to-be-sage leaders history books often made them out to be. I also think this is a new method of portraying historical characters and making them come to life. If you have seen historical dramas in the past, you will see how radical these “Mi Shi” series are. I love this new approach so much!

There is one blooper I would like to point out. It could not possibly have been Kang Xi’s mother, who served as his regent since she died about one year after Kang Xi ascended to the throne according to history books. Hence, you either made a mistake or this series had false facts.

Hmm, may I ask why the confrontations between Kang Xi and Na Lan Rong Ruo were the highlights of the show? What was so special about these confrontations? Were they full of wits and figurative languages resulting in making nobody the real winner? Despite having so many confrontations, did these two men care deeply about each other in their heart?

I am so eager to know more about this series, so I would really appreciate it if anyone can leak out any news!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss View Post
    It would not have been Kang Xi's mother, but grandmother (Dowager Empress Xiao Zhuang posthumously, she was never Empress since her husband died before her son ascended with the regency) who was taking over the reigns of running the country.

Also, it's "Mi Shi", not "Mu Shi".
    With respect to Aphraeleiss,

Yes, you are right; it would be impossible for Kang Xi’s mother to rule the empire on behalf of her son for the reason I have mentioned above. It would be most accurate to assume this person was Empress Xiao Zhuang, Kang Xi’s grandmother, instead. She was conferred the title “Concubine Zhuang” when she married Huang Taiji. Her aunt was already created Empress long before her marriage with Huang Taiji. However, she did get elevated to the position of Empress Dowager because she was the birth mother of Shun Zhi, Huang Taiji’s ninth son, when he ascended to the throne. However, there would still be one more problem. Empress Xiao Zhuang never ruled the empire “behind the curtains” like Empress Ci Xi during both the reigns of Shun Zhi and Kang Xi. Two princes were appointed prince regents for Shun Zhi and four ministers were appointed minister regents for Kang Xi. Therefore, I am really curious as to which Empress Alicia is talking about, who took over the ruling of the empire.

Thanks for correcting my spelling error; I really appreciate it! I will edit my post to fix the spelling. I really know how to spell it correctly; however, I simply made a typo.

Regards,

Sorry Dai Hup for not replying earlier - been extremely busy at work.
    Yup, I made a mistake about Kang Xi's mother, it should be his grandmother. Sorry for misleading any readers.

This series is mainly about Kang Xi.
    Here's a brief summary -

Kang Xi is first depicted as a teenager ( has been emperor for 8 years) – that makes him about 16 or 17. He is impatient to get control of the throne from his grandmother. One day he sees a beautiful maiden ( Qing Er ) reading a book in one of his minister’s garden. He is deeply attracted to her as she is a rare beauty. He comes on too strongly and she tries to fight off his advances. Na Lan sees this and rushes to her rescue. He trades blows with Kang Xi as he does not know his real identity. The minister and his men rush to the scene on seeing the commotion. Only then, does Na Lan realize that he has committed a serious offence. He is put in chains and taken to the palace. Qing Er who is Ao Bai’s ( a very powerful minister) daughter pleads with the king – actually she seems to be demanding that Na Lan be freed but to no avail.

This news reaches Na Lan’s mother who sends her niece to plead with the empress dowager ( king’s grandmother) for his release. The grandmother decides to intervene and orders that Na Lan be released. She is impressed with Na Lan’s achievements as a scholar and even requests that he be one of Kang Xi’s advisors. Na Lan is grateful for this but as he steps out of the palace, Kang Xi nastily tells him he had nothing to do with the release and that if Na Lan made any mistakes he would not hesitate to execute him.

Back home, Na Lan’s father advises him to take up the offer as it is a royal command. The father also orders him to forget about his love for his cousin as she has been picked as a candidate to be one of Kang Xi’s concubines. This was devastating news to Na Lan as he and his cousin had loved one another since childhood.
    He angrily rejects his father’s orders as he has a very low opinion of the king, but later has to follow them when his father sort of collapses and warns him that he would be putting the whole family in danger if he disobeyed …………

This series continues with the development of the various characters. The relationship between them are depicted well. Kang Xi and Na Lan grow to both loathe and at the same time admire each other’s guts and convictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia Lee View Post
    Sorry Dai Hup for not replying earlier - been extremely busy at work.
    Yup, I made a mistake about Kang Xi's mother, it should be his grandmother. Sorry for misleading any readers.

This series is mainly about Kang Xi.
    Here's a brief summary -

Kang Xi is first depicted as a teenager ( has been emperor for 8 years) – that makes him about 16 or 17. He is impatient to get control of the throne from his grandmother. One day he sees a beautiful maiden ( Qing Er ) reading a book in one of his minister’s garden. He is deeply attracted to her as she is a rare beauty. He comes on too strongly and she tries to fight off his advances. Na Lan sees this and rushes to her rescue. He trades blows with Kang Xi as he does not know his real identity. The minister and his men rush to the scene on seeing the commotion. Only then, does Na Lan realize that he has committed a serious offence. He is put in chains and taken to the palace. Qing Er who is Ao Bai’s ( a very powerful minister) daughter pleads with the king – actually she seems to be demanding that Na Lan be freed but to no avail.

This news reaches Na Lan’s mother who sends her niece to plead with the empress dowager ( king’s grandmother) for his release. The grandmother decides to intervene and orders that Na Lan be released. She is impressed with Na Lan’s achievements as a scholar and even requests that he be one of Kang Xi’s advisors. Na Lan is grateful for this but as he steps out of the palace, Kang Xi nastily tells him he had nothing to do with the release and that if Na Lan made any mistakes he would not hesitate to execute him.

Back home, Na Lan’s father advises him to take up the offer as it is a royal command. The father also orders him to forget about his love for his cousin as she has been picked as a candidate to be one of Kang Xi’s concubines. This was devastating news to Na Lan as he and his cousin had loved one another since childhood.
    He angrily rejects his father’s orders as he has a very low opinion of the king, but later has to follow them when his father sort of collapses and warns him that he would be putting the whole family in danger if he disobeyed …………

This series continues with the development of the various characters. The relationship between them are depicted well. Kang Xi and Na Lan grow to both loathe and at the same time admire each other’s guts and convictions.
    o.O sound interesting ! Look forward to watching it. Any idea when the dvd version will be out ?

Its an interesting series- my first historical drama.

I was definitely hooked, saw all 40 episodes in a few days, and really liked the characters. Actually the Grandmother/Empress regent was one of my more admired... of all the characters she was the most steadfastly and absolutely a great ruler. The empire and people first and foremost... yet still gentle and caring of her grandchildren. Cool lady.

Hu Jing is very beautiful, as is the actress for Na Lan Rong Ruo's cousin (I don't recall her name, I'll refer to her as "Cousin"). Cousin is actually also a very accomplished woman and actually I would say that she suits NLRR more than Qing Ge Er (Hu Jing's character). QGE is incredibly lovely to behold, she's brave and accomplished, but she is also rather rash... perhaps too much like NLRR. Both of them have this tendency to threaten suicide every other episode that makes me roll my eyes! Doesn't keep this series from being very absorbing- full of interactions and conflict between characters, politics, love, drama, war, children, family... all the things that make a series fun are here.

click to show/hide spoilers

And, as someone already guessed, NLRR gets a tragic ending- but it was a nice rounding off to a story where not all the good guys get good endings. Perhaps like in real life. I do feel sorry for QGE and NLRR in the end- they waited for so long, and gave up so much for the country and the emperor, and just when they were finally going to get to stroll off into the sunset, he dies. Not sure I understand how he died either so quickly, but it was quite beautifully done that he writes one last poem in QGE's presence. I'd like to believe that he finally wrote her a poem (like QGE always hoped for, ever since he wrote Cousin that poem when she was first married to the Emperor)

I'm also still puzzled somewhat about when NLRR fell for QGE, it seems like he still thought of Cousin as the "dearest, most missed person in his life" through the whole series (he told Kang Xi that Cousin was "wo zhe shen zhong zhui qing, zhui xiang nian de ren") Yet somewhere in there, it seems like he had some romantic feeling for QGE.

Perhaps the main message is that after meeting Kang Xi, NLRR was really absorbed with Kang Xi's politics and struggles and the Empire's well being, and never really loved anything more than he loved his country and his Emperor. On his death bed, he calls meeting Kang Xi he greatest fortune and misfortune of his life.

Overall recommended, even if a tad too dramatic at times for my taste. Decent acting all around and, as I've come to expect from China serials, gorgeous costumes and scenery and filmography!

how is this series?

The plot is similar to "Yan Hua San Yue", which also centers round poet Nalan Rong Ruo and Emperor Kangxi.

Who is the "cousin" character? Its not Kong Sizhen is it? How is Chae Rim in here? If im not wrong, she plays Kangxi's first empress. An intelligent and capable woman who Kangxi respected greatly but she died very young.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Chaerim actually has a pretty small role here- as the empress who's quite possessive, but also a relatively kind person underneathe. She is at the heart of one of the political struggles between her family and the family of NLRR who, of course, support NLRR's cousin to be the Emperor's favorite (and bearer of the crown prince). She did a reasonable good job, but she was definitely not given as much screen time as the cousin or Qin Ge-er.

Not sure who the cousin is (sorry don't recall her name) but she is NLRR's childhood love and who NLRR continues to care for all the his life. She is actually super accomplished lady and fits NLRR to the T.

click to show/hide spoilers

The cousin eventually is forced to become Kangxi's concubine and she actually uses her talents and wisdom to help Kangxi think through his problems- becoming one of Kangxi's favorite. She is even the first to bear Kangxi a son, though her son dies almost immediately due to poisoning from the Empress' relatives.

She loved NLRR dearly and fought entering the palace with all her might, but she came to accept her fate, and try to help NLRR from Kangxi's side.

Still Qin-ge-er (Hu Jing) is my favorite character- probably because she gets so much screen time. She's clearly got faults, but she's also terribly loyal, brave and entirely in love with NLRR!

The emperor really likes QGE, but she insists she'll rather be NLRR's "small wife" (behind the cousin QGE knew NLRR loved) than the emperor's anyone.

There are lots of comic scenes at first of QGE trying to marry herself to NLRR while NLRR hides in confusion and professions of love for his cousin!

A fascinating conversation between the emperor and NLRR happens early in the series, with NLRR claiming he has no love left for anyone but his cousin, and the emperor laughing at this and saying he bets that NLRR will have for QGE! Its quite a cool conversation between a proponent of undying love and proponent of love being mutable and messy/unclear at times (the emperor claims he can love many women in his heart, proven by his hundreds of wives, many of whom he cares about, and NLRR attacks him saying then he doesn't know what true love is!).