View Poll Results: How would Gwok Jing have responded to Gwok Seung's attempt to save Cheung Gwun Bo?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • "We should help him, Seung-yee."

24 77.42%
  • "This is none of our business, Seung-yee. Let's go."

7 22.58%

Thread: If Gwok Jing had accompanied Gwok Seung to Shaolin...

Default If Gwok Jing had accompanied Gwok Seung to Shaolin...

Gwok Seung was a just-minded and brave person even as a young girl, so when she saw that Cheung Gwun Bo (the young Cheung 3 Fung) was about to be brutally punished (having his tendons severed, crippling him for life) by the Shaolin authorities for breaking the restrictions against learning Shaolin martial arts without approval, she naturally acted to save him...even though her martial arts at the time were so weak that she was hopelessly overmatched by the Shaolin monks. She and Cheung Gwun Bo did escape thanks to the intervention of Gwun Bo's teacher, Gok Yeun the Monk, but their salvation cost Gok Yeun his life.

What if Gwok Seung's father Gwok Jing had been there at Shaolin with her, however? As Gwok Seung's father, Gwok Jing naturally would have protected his daughter if she were attacked by the Shaolin monk, but would he have supported her choice to save Cheung Gwun Bo? Gwok Jing sometimes confused adherence to rules with actual justice. Cheung Gwun Bo did indeed break a regulation (although he had good reasons). What would Gwok Jing's response have been to Gwok Seung's inclination to save Cheung Gwun Bo?

A). "You're right, Seung-yee. What the monks here want to do to this poor boy is wrong. We must save him."

or

B). "I feel sorry for this boy, but he did break the school's rules. Therefore, he deserves to be punished. Let's go, Seung-yee. We shouldn't interfere in others' business."

I feel that he wouldn't interfere with shaolin's business, but at the same time he wouldn't let the monks break his legs or anything that would cripple him for the rest of his life...

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i belive he would interfer because ZGB used skills he learned from the iron arhat dolls that GX gave him. so he would feel responsible. the moves he learned from YG would not count because he learned from a master, not on his own. probably he would take ZGb and GX back home and take ZGB as a disiple. and then make GX marry him to stop her from pinning for YG.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Guo Xiang would have intervened even if Guo Jing was to disagree.
    And seeing her daughter in trouble, he would eventually step in and indirectly help the young Zhang Jun Bao.

well guoxiang is the little devil, so of course she would interfere though guo jing objected to it
    and therefore guo jing will assist, and if that happened things about 9yang and ZSF would be more different i assumed.
    Let him be violent,
    Let him be evil,
    For me, it is enough if I
    just breathe in my pure energy."

http://echallengor.blogspot.com

http://ech33.ui2u.com

Neither of these, I believe. Guo Jing would bring Guo Xiang back to Xiang Yang from the first time the monk said no lady could go inside Shaolin!!! It might be better if the one who accompanied her was Huang Rong.

Honestly, I just don't see Guo Jing wanting to leave Zhang Junbao to his own devices in such a situation. The monks are not going to just give the boy a couple of smackings, but severing his tendons for god's sake!

Guo Jing might have a thing for rules but I don't think he will let something like this happen.

1) As someone mentioned before, Guo Xiang was indirectly responsible so as her father, he might feel somewhat responsible too.

2) Zhang Junbao hasn't done anything which deserves such a cruel punishment. Instead, he had just saved the face and dignity of Shaolin thus all the more he shouldn't be punished like that.

So yes, I think Guo Jing will interfere and save Zhang Junbao.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    Honestly, I just don't see Guo Jing wanting to leave Zhang Junbao to his own devices in such a situation. The monks are not going to just give the boy a couple of smackings, but severing his tendons for god's sake!

Guo Jing might have a thing for rules but I don't think he will let something like this happen.

1) As someone mentioned before, Guo Xiang was indirectly responsible so as her father, he might feel somewhat responsible too.

2) Zhang Junbao hasn't done anything which deserves such a cruel punishment. Instead, he had just saved the face and dignity of Shaolin thus all the more he shouldn't be punished like that.

So yes, I think Guo Jing will interfere and save Zhang Junbao.
    I suppose so. I could picture Gwok Jing saying to the monks, "Great masters, please pause. With all due respect for your rules, the punishment you have given this poor boy is too harsh. He meant no harm, and it would not be Buddha's way to force him to live out his days as a cripple. I beg all you great masters to please reconsider."

And if they don't, well, I guess Gwok Jing and the Shaolin monks are going to rumble.

Which leads me to my new thread here.

I am not too sure. GJ might just respect Shaolin's house rules if they do not listen to his pleadings. And if GX intervenes, GJ can just seal her accupoints if she refuses to listen to daddy.

In wulin, its very rude to interfere in other sects internal rules. And both GJ and Shaolin were world famous names at that time. GJ might not interfere. Remember, this is the guy who wanted to chop off his own daughters arm!

Main characters like Linghu Chong, Yang Guo, Duan Yu, Xu Zhu and Zhang Wuji are more likely candidates for interfering. Duan Yu and Xu Zhu would be particularly interesting to watch if they did so.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I am not too sure. GJ might just respect Shaolin's house rules if they do not listen to his pleadings. And if GX intervenes, GJ can just seal her accupoints if she refuses to listen to daddy.

In wulin, its very rude to interfere in other sects internal rules. And both GJ and Shaolin were world famous names at that time. GJ might not interfere. Remember, this is the guy who wanted to chop off his own daughters arm!

Main characters like Linghu Chong, Yang Guo, Duan Yu, Xu Zhu and Zhang Wuji are more likely candidates for interfering. Duan Yu and Xu Zhu would be particularly interesting to watch if they did so.
    Guo Fu is going to be punished because she did something very wrong. Zhang Junbao is going to be punished because he did something good.

How could you compare the two on the very same scale?

GJ wanted to chop off GF's arm because of his intense feelings or sorrow and responsibility towards YG not because of his respect for rules. GJ was definitely extremely passionate at times.

However, YG was going to be killed almost for this teacher-student business. If GJ was the one who introduced YG to XLN as a student, he will still punish them nonetheless and also blame himself for not choosing a better .

This is why this hypothetical scenario is only interesting if you plug Gwok Jing in there. If it were Gwok Seung's grandfather, East Heretic Wong Yerk See or her "big brother" Yeung Gor, there would have been no question: either of them would definitely have intervened for Cheung Gwun Bo. Wong Yerk See would have done it just because he has no respect for authority; Yeung Gor would have done it because he puts justice ahead of authority. Gwok Jing, however, was conditioned to respect authority...but he was also dedicated to justice. Of all those who might have accompanied Gwok Seung to Shaolin that day, Gwok Jing would have been the only one conflicted about what would be the right thing to do.

I wonder why people think that GJ wouldn't intervene? Because he wanted to chop GF's arm off? That was a very different situation, and I agree totally with ChronoReverse. He respected rules but it doesn't mean that he did so blindly.

If GJ were like some of you said, he wouldn't stop Genghis Khan from killing those civilians.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    This is why this hypothetical scenario is only interesting if you plug Gwok Jing in there. If it were Gwok Seung's grandfather, East Heretic Wong Yerk See or her "big brother" Yeung Gor, there would have been no question: either of them would definitely have intervened for Cheung Gwun Bo. Wong Yerk See would have done it just because he has no respect for authority; Yeung Gor would have done it because he puts justice ahead of authority. Gwok Jing, however, was conditioned to respect authority...but he was also dedicated to justice. Of all those who might have accompanied Gwok Seung to Shaolin that day, Gwok Jing would have been the only one conflicted about what would be the right thing to do.
    There's no question if GJ were there. He was NOT conditioned to respect authority. I really hate to keep posting the list of his rule-breaking instances so feel free to do a search. GJ was passionate about doing the right thing and helping/saving people. ZGB was the type that GJ would be fond of. He would do anything to save ZGB, even if it means kicking some Shaolin donkeys' arses. He wasn't good with words so you wouldn't see him mock and put down Shaolin for their hypocrisy and cruelty like other protagonists would, but he would fight to protect ZGB like any of them.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I agree with what Candide says about GJ. I mean at the Hero's Conference, when YG was fighting Da Er Ba, Gj also interferred as he cared for the well-being of YG.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    He wasn't good with words so you wouldn't see him mock and put down Shaolin for their hypocrisy and cruelty like other protagonists would...
    Fortunately, he'd have his saucy-tongued younger daughter to do it for him.

When it comes to having *verbal* confrontations, it's necessary to bring the Gwok Family women along. Gwok Jing should stick to the physical altercations.

Then again, his speeches to Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan were among the most memorable in wuxia history...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Fortunately, he'd have his saucy-tongued younger daughter to do it for him.

When it comes to having *verbal* confrontations, it's necessary to bring the Gwok Family women along. Gwok Jing should stick to the physical altercations.

Then again, his speeches to Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan were among the most memorable in wuxia history...
    Hmm now that you mention it... the girls in the Guo family are actually verbal fighters while the men are just... well, quiet.

Yang Guo and Zhang Wuji should pull them all out of the fire without much hesitation, I think. Yang Guo would be more straightforward, while ZWJ might pull a Brightness Peak deal, and someone will inevitably say "You... you've mastered the 'Divine Art of Diamond Body Invulnerability?!' at some point.

Xu Zhu is interesting because he's a lowly Shaolin monk. I can imagine large amounts of panicking, hesitation, and nervousness due to cognitive dissonance over the issue.

Duan Yu will probably be the most interesting, though. He'd probably start quoting Buddhist sutras, and after a philosophical debate some guy gets up to go and smack him, only to start getting sucked. Then everyone panics, some guy tries to pull the first guy away only to get sucked as well, and then some third guy goes up to hit Duan Yu and gets sucked as well, and afterwards DY starts glowing in the dark and Jue Yuan, ZJB, and GX escape in the chaos.

I think he will try to plead for leniency and not blindly allow the punishment to happen. In the end i think he will have to awe them into being lenient.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time