Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why didn't H7G accept any disciple?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    those villains are more scary than those whose intention are clearly. YG would've been good as a villain.
    Yeung Gor tended to wear his heart on his sleeve, which would have made him an ineffective villain.

Chow Chi Yerk was somewhat close to being such a villain, but the better villains in this vein were some of Gu Long's. People such as Yip Goo Sing or the Wooden Taoist, whom you really couldn't believe were heels when they were finally exposed as villains (because they had appeared so virtuous).

I suppose Ngok But Kwun is the Jin Yong villain of this mold, but we (the audience/reader) know what a heel he is way before Ling Wu Chung and the rest of wulin do. I think the most effective villains are the ones who shock even the audience/reader, because you just don't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    We did an inquiry into this subject a few years ago at this forum, and if I recall correctly, at least half of the people who responded said they thought that Hung 7 Gung would have taught Au Yeung Hak or Yeung Hong had either of them brought him fine food. Either these were very bad readers who missed the point entirely, or Jin Yong really did portray Hung 7 Gung as a character who put his food fetish ahead of his wulin responsibilities.
    my memory may be faulty, but i vaguely remember H7G saying something about teaching GJ XL18Z because the latter was "loyal, honest, kind, etc". but then again, i could be influenced by TV...

though, before he taught GJ XL18Z, he did make a comment on how GJ was a bit "dumb" but was very "earnest".

Quote Originally Posted by LOCH translated from wuxiapedia
    "Kneel down and make a vow," said Hong Qi-Gong sternly. "If you don't have my permission, you are not to impart my kungfu to anyone, not even that crafty wife of yours."

Guo Jing hesitated: But if Rong'er wants me to teach her, how can I refuse? So he said, "Qi-Gong, I don't want to learn this anymore. I don't mind her having superior skills."

"And why is that?" asked Qi-Gong in surprise.

Guo Jing replied, "If she wants me to teach her and I refuse, I'll be letting her down. If I agree, then I'm letting you down."

"Silly fellow, you have a good heart. Simple-minded and honest," laughed Hong Qi-Gong. "Tell you what, I'll teach you one stance called 'The Proud Dragon Repents'. With Huang Yao Shi being so full of himself, I doubt he will stoop to the level of learning my specialty skill even though he admires it. Besides, we have very different styles of martial arts. I can't learn his kungfu, and neither can he learn my kungfu."
    either way, I am quite certain H7G was not "tricked" into teaching GJ (lack of self control perhaps...but not "tricked"). he knew exactly what HR wanted when she cooked for him and when she "praised" him.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 02-08-08 at 05:24 AM.

Yeung Gor tended to wear his heart on his sleeve, which would have made him an ineffective villain.

Chow Chi Yerk was somewhat close to being such a villain, but the better villains in this vein were some of Gu Long's. People such as Yip Goo Sing or the Wooden Taoist, whom you really couldn't believe were heels when they were finally exposed as villains (because they had appeared so virtuous).

I suppose Ngok But Kwun is the Jin Yong villain of this mold, but we (the audience/reader) know what a heel he is way before Ling Wu Chung and the rest of wulin do. I think the most effective villains are the ones who shock even the audience/reader, because you just don't see it coming.
    True, well it would be shocking if GJ turned out to be a villain whose goal is to rule wulin .

True, well it would be shocking if GJ turned out to be a villain whose goal is to rule wulin .
    That might have been cool, actually...Evil Gwok Jing from the reverse universe of Earth-Three or something like that.

Too bad Jin Yong never did any "What If" type stories (alternate realities, etc.).

That might have been cool, actually...Evil Gwok Jing from the reverse universe of Earth-Three or something like that.

Too bad Jin Yong never did any "What If" type stories (alternate realities, etc.).
    nah i prefer GJ turned evil goes to the dark side after Gengis Khan tempting him that he could save his mother from death or something

nah i prefer GJ turned evil goes to the dark side after Gengis Khan tempting him that he could save his mother from death or something
    and then what? GX & GPL will be given birth to a few years too early? and GX will be dumped in front of QZ doorsteps (and transfered to AT to become "big dragon girl")?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    and then what? GX & GPL will be given birth to a few years too early? and GX will be dumped in front of QZ doorsteps (and transfered to AT to become "big dragon girl")?
    yeah that's cool and the person bringing GX to QZ is YK but he gets murdered by GJ later when he refused to tell him about where the twins are

yeah that's cool and the person bringing GX to QZ is YK but he gets murdered by GJ later when he refused to tell him about where the twins are
    and then GPL will compete with YG for GX's affection? eww....

H7G's pride was partly to blame for his deciding to teach GJ The Proud Dragon Repents, as it was wholly to blame for his deciding to teach YG the dog beating stick technique. HR made up some BS story about HYS being impressed by H7G's palm technique, which delighted H7G and made him decide on the spot to teach GJ a stance from the Dragon Palms (after sending HR back to the inn).

However, what came next was what really made H7G persevere with GJ (he could easily have dragged out the process if he'd wanted to, teaching less in the same space of time). H7G made GJ promise not to teach HR anything H7G taught him, but GJ refused, saying he'd rather not learn because he couldn't truthfully bring himself to keep such a promise. H7G was impressed by his honesty, and taught him anyway, and continued teaching him. 2003 mainland version.