Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't H7G accept any disciple?

Default Why didn't H7G accept any disciple?

Did it say in the novel? Was the reason plausible? Kinda weird that all the other Greats took in disciples, yet H7G seems reluctant.

And how did he decide GJ was the right one? I am sure H7G would have met other people with a kind heart (maybe not near GJ's).

Do you think if H7G didn't take in GJ, and he met YG later on Mt Hua, would he have taken YG in? Or if OYF didn't show up, would H7G take in YG as a third disciple? Would YG accept given his situation when he met H7G. How would YG turn out with H7G? As good as he is in the novel (or GJ , yay another YG vs GJ debate)?

Enough questions.

I think he did have some beggars' in the Beggars' Clan in which he teach them some basic martial arts.
    ..ext88

tat would not be master-disciple situation i think
    TaZzY InC

North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was just lazy. The other Greats believed that they needed to have disciples either out of a sense of responsibility to future generations (i.e. Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung and South Emperor Deun Chi Hing/1 Deng the Monk) or to bolster their egos (East Heretic Wong Yerk See and West Poison Au Yeung Fung). Although Hung 7 Gung wasn't devoid of either a sense of responsibility (he taught Wong Yung the Dog Beating Stick Technique when he named her as his successor as Beggar's Union Chief because he didn't want to leave the Union leaderless and without its flagship martial arts skill in the then likelihood that he would die) or ego (he taught Yeung Gor the Dog Beating Stick Technique moves to one up Au Yeung Fung after the latter had insulted him), he generally couldn't be bothered unless there was a really compelling and immediate cause. Hung 7 Gung only agreed to teach Gwok Jing the Hong Lung 18 Palms because he wanted Wong Yung to cook for him. Hung 7 Gung was willing to teach, but motivating him to do so was a bit more difficult than motivating his fellow Greats.

I think he also taught Yang Guo's mum some moves though she was not an explicit disciple.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    I think he also taught Yang Guo's mum some moves though she was not an explicit disciple.
    Yep. He did that because she once saved two Beggar Sect members.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Did it say in the novel? Was the reason plausible? Kinda weird that all the other Greats took in disciples, yet H7G seems reluctant.

And how did he decide GJ was the right one? I am sure H7G would have met other people with a kind heart (maybe not near GJ's).
    Maybe because Huang Rong was such a great cook and he loved to eat!

Au Yeung Fung was also reluctant to accept disciples. He told Yeung Hong that he did not accept more than one disciple. Did Au Yeung Fung have any particular reason?

The other Greats did have more man power. Was Au Yeung Fung just not interested in being a leader? Having extra lackeys and minions do have their uses.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    Au Yeung Fung was also reluctant to accept disciples. He told Yeung Hong that he did not accept more than one disciple. Did Au Yeung Fung have any particular reason?
    House rules: the martial arts of Mt. White Camel could only be passed to one person (preferably within the Au Yeung family).

The other Greats did have more man power. Was Au Yeung Fung just not interested in being a leader? Having extra lackeys and minions do have their uses.
    The Au Yeungs actually had quite a few lackeys (many of them young females), but they were not very strong fighters (even the young Gwok Jing with only Gong Nam 7 Freaks training could handle two or three of them with little trouble). Au Yeung Hak used them quite liberally, but West Poison Au Yeung Fung rarely did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    House rules: the martial arts of Mt. White Camel could only be passed to one person (preferably within the Au Yeung family).
    The Au Yeungs actually had quite a few lackeys (many of them young females), but they were not very strong fighters (even the young Gwok Jing with only Gong Nam 7 Freaks training could handle two or three of them with little trouble). Au Yeung Hak used them quite liberally, but West Poison Au Yeung Fung rarely did.
    I don't think pre-H7G Guo Jing actually fought those girls in the novel - although he did in TVB's 82 adaptation. They also seemed to be Ouyang Ke's disciples rather than Ouyang Feng's, and for a bunch of peasant girls picked up from nowhere they actually got some pretty good training from him. However, they were never particularly talented, Ouyang Ke wasn't particularly serious about their martial arts development, and finally, Ouyang Ke wasn't really that great. A few hours with Ouyang Feng would have made things different but I don't think he would have bothered. They were quite loyal to Ouyang Ke - probably because his training gave them a whole new opportunity in life.

North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was just lazy. The other Greats believed that they needed to have disciples either out of a sense of responsibility to future generations (i.e. Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung and South Emperor Deun Chi Hing/1 Deng the Monk) or to bolster their egos (East Heretic Wong Yerk See and West Poison Au Yeung Fung). Although Hung 7 Gung wasn't devoid of either a sense of responsibility (he taught Wong Yung the Dog Beating Stick Technique when he named her as his successor as Beggar's Union Chief because he didn't want to leave the Union leaderless and without its flagship martial arts skill in the then likelihood that he would die) or ego (he taught Yeung Gor the Dog Beating Stick Technique moves to one up Au Yeung Fung after the latter had insulted him), he generally couldn't be bothered unless there was a really compelling and immediate cause. Hung 7 Gung only agreed to teach Gwok Jing the Hong Lung 18 Palms because he wanted Wong Yung to cook for him. Hung 7 Gung was willing to teach, but motivating him to do so was a bit more difficult than motivating his fellow Greats.
    yeah that's about it but he really liked YG so he would probably teach him some martial arts or at least give him some pointers so he could improve his MA. The fact is that all the greats liked YG and only 1 deng didn't teached him something

H7G only taught GJ 15 palms at first because he didnt want a sifu-student relationship.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    H7G only taught GJ 15 palms at first because he didnt want a sifu-student relationship.
    who could blame him GJ wasn't exactly the smartest nor the most interesting person to have as a student.

obviously H7G saw that GJ had a kindred heart

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    who could blame him GJ wasn't exactly the smartest nor the most interesting person to have as a student.

obviously H7G saw that GJ had a kindred heart
    And HR's cooking.

Actually, I think H7G was a bit irresponsible; at least when he taught GJ the first palm. He encounter them when they were cooking a chicken that they stole. And he was 'tricked' by HR to teach GJ MA by saying her father were praising his Dragon palms. It seems pretty easy to me how they (HR)manipulate H7G. And he keeps teaching and HR keeps cooking. It wasnt untill GJ had learnt 15 palms that H7G left after realizing that he might as well take GJ as student if he taught him the last 3 palms.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    And HR's cooking.

Actually, I think H7G was a bit irresponsible; at least when he taught GJ the first palm. He encounter them when they were cooking a chicken that they stole. And he was 'tricked' by HR to teach GJ MA by saying her father were praising his Dragon palms. It seems pretty easy to me how they (HR)manipulate H7G. And he keeps teaching and HR keeps cooking. It wasnt untill GJ had learnt 15 palms that H7G left after realizing that he might as well take GJ as student if he taught him the last 3 palms.
    Again, I hate to say this because the Jin Yong novel fanatics will ridicule me for it, but this was one of those instances where TVB arguably had a better take on one of Jin Yong's characters than Jin Yong himself did. There was a very subtle adjustment to the story in LOCH '82 that really helped to illustrate how wise North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was (or should have been, given his status and reputation). Note: the following is from LOCH '82 (TVB) only, and does not reflect the contents of the novel.

Hung 7 Gung had been traveling with Gwok Jing and Wong Yung for several weeks. During this period, he had gotten to understand their personalities, and found that Gwok Jing was loyal, honest, moral, and patriotic. The clincher, however, came when Hung 7 Gung asked Gwok Jing whom his martial arts teachers were. When Gwok Jing told him quite proudly that they were the Gong Nam 7 Freaks, Hung 7 Gung ridiculed him and his teachers, saying, "Those Freaks are your teachers? Hah! No wonder your martial arts skills are so poor!" Gwok Jing said nothing in his own defense, but quite adamantly defended the reputation of his teachers, telling Hung 7 Gung, "My teachers are very good to me." From this, Hung 7 Gung approvingly concluded that Gwok Jing was the sort of student who would honor his teachers and use their skills in noble, honorable ways. It was at that point that he decided to pass the Hong Lung 18 Palms skill to Gwok Jing.

What did this sequence show about Hung 7 Gung?

1. He was a wise judge of character.

2. He wanted to make sure that the the power of the Hong Lung 18 Palms would be passed on to someone who would use it honorably to uphold justice and never for selfish or evil purposes.

3. He understood the importance of passing on such a powerful skill to the right person.

I don't want to judge the novel since I haven't read it, but based on what I do know, Hung 7 Gung agreed to teach Gwok Jing ONLY because of food. If that had been Yeung Hong or Au Yeung Hak who had given Hung 7 Gung food, then he would have taught them the Hong Lung 18 Palms instead of Gwok Jing!

Jin Yong created North Beggar Hung 7 Gung, so I suppose he has the exclusive right of saying how the character is correctly portrayed. Be that as it may, I think TVB might have actually made Hung 7 Gung a more sagely character than Jin Yong did, and I frankly prefer it that way.

H7G is the kind of guy who doesn't speak it, but he knows well inside. he is able to judge the type of person GJ is before even teaching GJ the first stance of XL18Z. i'm sure if GJ turned out to be sleezy like OYK or non patriotic like YK, H7G would not pass on any palms no matter how well HR cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    H7G is the kind of guy who doesn't speak it, but he knows well inside. he is able to judge the type of person GJ is before even teaching GJ the first stance of XL18Z. i'm sure if GJ turned out to be sleezy like OYK or non patriotic like YK, H7G would not pass on any palms no matter how well HR cooks.
    We did an inquiry into this subject a few years ago at this forum, and if I recall correctly, at least half of the people who responded said they thought that Hung 7 Gung would have taught Au Yeung Hak or Yeung Hong had either of them brought him fine food. Either these were very bad readers who missed the point entirely, or Jin Yong really did portray Hung 7 Gung as a character who put his food fetish ahead of his wulin responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    true but they could've have pretended to be like GJ to fool H7G teaching him HL18P

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    true but they could've have pretended to be like GJ to fool H7G teaching him HL18P
    Woe to wulin if there were a wuxia villain that subtle and clever!

Most wuxia villains are about as subtle and clever as bricks, which explains why the heroes keep surviving even though the villains are more powerful.

Woe to wulin if there were a wuxia villain that subtle and clever!

Most wuxia villains are about as subtle and clever as bricks, which explains why the heroes keep surviving even though the villains are more powerful.
    those villains are more scary than those whose intention are clearly. YG would've been good as a villain.