View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in a beauty contest?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Princess Fragrance

54 56.25%
  • Xiao Longnu

42 43.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beauty Contest: Princess Fragrance v Xiao Longnu

yeah.. I don't find particurarily anything special about lyf... I mean I can see why everyone says shes really beautiful etc, but I just dont see anything else apart from a pretty face .. she doesnt to me IMO have the amazing charisma that most ppl see. While there are a lot of random actresses who i find more appealing... dunno why , I actually preferred carmen lees xln better and preffered GX in ROCH06 than XLN

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Xiao Longnu, people who saw her thought, "Wow, she's pretty hot."

Fragrance? "Oh my God, I made her sad! *decapitates himself*"
    In that case, I reckon Xiao Longnu is the luckier of the two. Imagine the poor princess having the fellow's death on her conscience.

Some excerpts from Graham Earnshaw's translation of The Book and the Sword:

He walked slowly back to the lake and, looking across, saw a young girl dressed in a brilliantly white gown sitting bare-foot on a bed of red flowers by the water's edge. She was slowly combing her long hair, still covered in beads of water, as flower petals drifted slowly down onto her head. He marvelled that such a beautiful girl could exist.
    As she talked, Chen gazed at her in wonder. He could never have imagined such jade-like beauty, even in his wildest dreams. Such a scene, such a situation was simply not of this world.
    The horse galloped off towards the end of the Manchu lines, and in the blink of an eye, had passed three companies of troops. Rank upon rank of armoured soldiers, bows at the ready, passed before them, and Chen knew that with one word from the Manchu commanders, he and the girl in his arms would immediately become the repositories of a thousand spears and ten thousand arrows. He pulled the reins in tightly and slowly cantered along, not even glancing at the soldiers.

The morning sun had just risen, and as they rode towards it, the troops stared in shock at the girl's glorious beauty, her hair, face, arms and gown splashed with pale sunlight, and each one, whether general or trooper, found his heart thumping furiously. They watched as the two gradually rode off into the distance.

Even General Zhao, who was in personal command, was overcome by a feeling of calm and peace, and he knew he was in no mood for killing. Looking round, he found all his officers and underlings likewise had expressions of serenity on their faces. They had already replaced their swords in their scabbards, and were obviously awaiting the general's order to retire.
    One of Zhao Wei's bodyguards moved forward to accept the letter. As he neared her, he was overwhelmed by her sweet fragrance and lowered his head, not daring to look at her directly. His eyes lighted on her flawless white hands, and he stood stock still, completely flustered.

The bodyguard started in fright, then stumbled and almost fell. The Princess placed the letter in his hands and smiled at him. The bodyguard gazed at her, oblivious of all else. Only after Princess pointed at Zhao Wei and gave him a slight push, did he go and place the letter on the table in front of the general.

Zhao Wei was furious at the sight of his bodyguard so spell-bound. "Take him out and behead him!" he roared. Several soldiers ran forward and dragged the bodyguard outside the tent, and a moment later, a bloody head was brought in on a plate and presented to the general.

"Put it on public display!" Zhao Wei ordered, and the soldiers began to retire. But the Princess was heart-broken at the sight of such cruelty and at the thought that the bodyguard had died because of her. She took the plate from the soldiers and gazed at the head, tears falling one after another down her cheeks onto the floor.

The officers in the tent were by now completely carried away by the sight of her, and any one of them would have willingly died for her. "If she cried before my head, would not death be welcome?" they thought. Suddenly, the soldier who had performed the execution, greatly distressed at the sight of her crying, shouted: "I did wrong to kill him. Don't cry!" He slashed his sword across his own neck and fell to the ground, dead.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    Suddenly, the soldier who had performed the execution, greatly distressed at the sight of her crying, shouted: "I did wrong to kill him. Don't cry!" He slashed his sword across his own neck and fell to the ground, dead.
    That is just sooooo unbelievable to the point of being ridiculous. No disrespect to JY, but... .

Comparisons between Xiangxiang and XLN.

Poise: ?
    Elegantness: XLN
    Looks: Xiangxiang
    Figure: ?
    Martial Arts: XLN
    Complexion: XLN
    Sex appealness: Does anyone know this?
    Character: XLN (I would say XLN is more compassionate than Xiangxiang)
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Comparisons between Xiangxiang and XLN.

Poise: ?
    Elegantness: XLN
    Looks: Xiangxiang
    Figure: ?
    Martial Arts: XLN
    Complexion: XLN
    Sex appealness: Does anyone know this?
    Character: XLN (I would say XLN is more compassionate than Xiangxiang)
    You are so bias. Fragrance has flawless white skin. How come her complexion is inferior to XLN? And she cried over the dead soldier, didn't she? She also dislikes cruelty. And she took the initiative to give water to the dehydrated bad guy. Yes, it's not a wise action, but this shows she's very compassionate.
    Last edited by kidd; 04-28-06 at 09:45 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    You are so bias. Fragrance has flawless white skin. How come her complexion is inferior to XLN. And she cried over the dead soldier, didn't she? She also dislikes cruelty. And she took the initiative to give water to the dehydrated bad guy. Yes, it's not a wise action, but this shows she's very compassionate.
    I agree, I think Xiaolongnu only wins in martial arts.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    You are so bias. Fragrance has flawless white skin. How come her complexion is inferior to XLN? And she cried over the dead soldier, didn't she? She also dislikes cruelty. And she took the initiative to give water to the dehydrated bad guy. Yes, it's not a wise action, but this shows she's very compassionate.
    Sorry mdm! So between Xiangxiang and XLN who have the better and whiter skin?
    ..ext88

i would say xiang xiang, she has flawless white skin. xln's skin is very white, but its pale, i think xln looks "icy-white". xiang xiang has the slightly better looking white.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Princess Fragrance = JY version of Helen of Troy
    No, Princess Fragrance = JY version of Aphrodite.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    No, Princess Fragrance = JY version of Aphrodite.
    How so? What similarity does she has with Aphrodite?

How so? What similarity does she has with Aphrodite?
    I don't know, but I just imagine PG as being far more beautiful than Helen of Troy and I like to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I don't know, but I just imagine PG as being far more beautiful than Helen of Troy and I like to argue.
    You don't even know why I equate Princess Fragrance with Helen of Troy and u are going to argue about?

And you equate Princess Fragrance with Aphrodite eventhough u don't know and can't think up any similarities between them.

Can see how weak your argument is?

According to western world/literature/legend, Helen of Troy is the most beautiful woman in the world. They even have a beauty measurement unit called 'Helen'

Beauty: The Helen
    Helen of Troy (from the Iliad) is widely known as "the face that launched a thousand ships." Thus, 1 millihelen is the amount of beauty needed to launch a single ship.

According to The Rebel Angels, a novel by Robertson Davies, this system was invented by Cambridge mathematician W.A.H. Rushton[citation needed]. However, the term was possibly first suggested by Isaac Asimov.[6] The obvious reference is Marlowe's line from the play The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus, "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships...?" [7]

Negative values have also been observed—these, of course, are measured by the number of ships sunk or the number of clocks stopped. An alternative interpretation of 1 negative Helen is the amount of negative beauty (i.e. ugliness) that can launch one thousand ships the other way.

MicroHelens are one-tenth of the unit of beauty required to motivate one sailor. They are sometimes given as the units for the common rating-out-of-10 scale of beauty.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uty:_The_Helen
    Last edited by kidd; 05-12-07 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    That is just sooooo unbelievable to the point of being ridiculous. No disrespect to JY, but... .
    It did look quite convincing in Book & Sword 76, though. There was really something rather angelic about how Candice Yu On On carried the role in that scene. She was so innocent, so sweet, so pure and so genuine in her speech that she kept the entire tent spellbound.

I really don't think any actress today can pull it off, though. Candice was perfect, and it fit very well with the mood of the rest of the series. That scene would look out of place in today's faster-moving serials, so I guess it's never going to happen again.

According to western world/literature/legend, Helen of Troy is the most beautiful woman in the world. They even have a beauty measurement unit called 'Helen'

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uty:_The_Helen

hope this isn't slightly OT, but there's always a whiff of unpleasantness around Helen--she's not a woman of good character, if you know what I mean. In the Iliad, she's busy with Paris while myriads of heroes die outside. I think Aeschylus even goes as far as calling her a wh**e (via the Chorus) in the Oresteia; Euripides definitely casts similar aspersions to her character in his plays too. So... Helen not quite = Princess Fragrance, although I know what you mean.

I can't think of a figure in Greek myths that completely corresponds to Princess Fragrance--maybe Galatea? She's also the epitome of beauty (ok, in Roman myths...)

Princess Fragrance wins this one. Its like pitting Sweeper Monk(Princess Fragrance) against Yang Guo(Xiao Long Nu) in a fight. I still vote for XLN though, because I just can't accept the crap about Princess Fragrance's beauty that's enough to make a man kill himself for making her cry.

Eh? I am really surprised that after what JY wrote (PF's beauty is like the DG9J+6MSJ+99YinYangYiJin Shen Gong of beauty), 20+ people still voted for XLN?!!?!

Go look at the excepts posted above! I don't like it either but unlike those vague 1 or 2 liners or other extrapolations and interpretations of JY's words that we use to argue about XF vs YG vs GJ, the evidence for PF's beauty is a lot more concrete.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Eh? I am really surprised that after what JY wrote (PF's beauty is like the DG9J+6MSJ+99YinYangYiJin Shen Gong of beauty), 20+ people still voted for XLN?!!?!

Go look at the excepts posted above! I don't like it either but unlike those vague 1 or 2 liners or other extrapolations and interpretations of JY's words that we use to argue about XF vs YG vs GJ, the evidence for PF's beauty is a lot more concrete.
    Yes, there are many things in JY that are vague and debatable. This is NOT one of them.

I concur. This is not even debatable. JY went out of his way to make the Princess the most beautiful with descriptions crossing the border of suspension of disbelief and insanity by a fair few miles, even more than his making Sweeper Monk the most powerful fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    It did look quite convincing in Book & Sword 76, though. There was really something rather angelic about how Candide Yu On On carried the role in that scene. She was so innocent, so sweet, so pure and so genuine in her speech that she kept the entire tent spellbound.

I really don't think any actress today can pull it off, though. Candide was perfect, and it fit very well with the mood of the rest of the series. That scene would look out of place in today's faster-moving serials, so I guess it's never going to happen again.
    Thank you. I'm flattered. *gives Ian a hug*
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post

Thank you. I'm flattered. *gives Ian a hug*
    Ah ha hah ha! Shows that all the self marketing worked!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!