View Poll Results: Your way of watching movie?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture first

13 41.94%
  • Subtitles first

13 41.94%
  • Not Sure

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your way of watching movies?

Post Your way of watching movies?

How do you watch movies? It sounds like a silly question, but think carefully.

Do you see the picture on the screen first OR the subtitles first then the picture screen when you are watching a movie?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    I know what u are trying to say but... aren't u looking at the picture before the subtittles are out? There's no way that one will happen to see the subtittles first...
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

So are we debating about whether it's more effective to read the subtitles or look at the picture? I think it depends for me--if it's Chinese, I definitely look at the picture first rather than try to decipher the words. English---my mind might subconsciously might float towards the subtitles..

i always put subtitle on whatever i watch, whether english or foreign.. force of habit growing up with a family who are not adept in speaking english.. SO when ever i watch something, always my eyes run to subtitles
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    i always put subtitle on whatever i watch, whether english or foreign.. force of habit growing up with a family who are not adept in speaking english.. SO when ever i watch something, always my eyes run to subtitles
    Same here... I always always look at the subtitles when I am watching something, even if the subtitles are in a language I don't understand, my eyes still run to the subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    Same here... I always always look at the subtitles when I am watching something, even if the subtitles are in a language I don't understand, my eyes still run to the subtitles.
    Me too, but mostly for different reasons. @__@;

I'm inept at understanding English on screens without the subtitles, especially English spoken by the white population. c.c;

I tend to be surprised and elated if I found that I could actually understand the lines in a Hollywood movie without the subtitles! e.e;

But of course, even if I could understand what's being said... I still read the subtitles. Oddities of the mind. c.c;
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Singlish is that bad, eh?

There's no subtitle in the movies here. When I watch my DVDs, occasionally I'd turn subtitles on if the movie has some weird names or phrases that I haven't heard before (e.g scifi). Or when I want to listen to audio commentary, I'd turn subtitles on for the main audio so I can follow both at the same time.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Do you see the picture on the screen first OR the subtitles first then the picture screen when you are watching a movie?
    In better English "what is more eye catching to u?"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Singlish is that bad, eh?
    It's not really that bad, but it's since a mish-mash of all the languages present in Singapore, and any caucasian would find it hard understanding what we are trying to say.
    ..ext88

It's not really that bad, but it's since a mish-mash of all the languages present in Singapore, and any caucasian would find it hard understanding what we are trying to say.
    Not just Caucasians, most foreigners would find it hard to understand Singlish.

I'm talking about you bloody Singlish speakers finding it hard to understand proper English spoken by others, which is what Guo Xiang said.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

TommyH
    Unregistered

I only watch Chinese or English stuff so I don't need subtitles. But if there was subtitles then I'd read the subs first.

I'm talking about you bloody Singlish speakers finding it hard to understand proper English spoken by others, which is what Guo Xiang said.
    It's just me. I don't know about the others though.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

When watching foreign movies with subtitles, I look at the subtitles first then look at the picture. That's because subtitles go off the screen quicker and I need time to read them all. A glance is all I need to look at the picture.

if i watch a movie with subtitles, i usually spend most of the time looking at the subtitles as opposed to what's on screen. My eyes are just drawn towards the words, even if i can't read them.

Smile

Singlish speakers are not bloody, and that is a fact. We spoke Singlish only among Singaporeans, but not towards proper English speakers. We definitely understand proper English.

In fact, there are a lot of foreigners who are very interested in Singlish.
    ..ext88

Yeah right, you sure do speak proper English to English speakers, lah! Bloody Singlish, lah!

I always read subs first.. probably because I watch too much animes.. so now I'm training to watch movies without subs as long as its a language I understand because I realize I focus too much on the subs and then only the movie and that actually made me missed out alot of things.

Yeah right, you sure do speak proper English to English speakers, lah! Bloody Singlish, lah!
    Wrong usage of Singlish, it would be more correct if its something like this -

Yah lah, you think speak proper English to English speakers meh? Bloody Singlish sia!

In order not to go too far away from topic - I watch quite a bit of anime as well, not to mention jdramas, reading subtitles is a must for me, otherwise I wouldn't know what's going on. In fact I am so pro at reading subtitles that I get peeve when the timings are not quite right.

Smile

Haha. I think we are going a bit off-topic with Singlish leh. I believe we all could score A for Singlish if there is this subject lor. Ya lor.
    ..ext88