Thread: My Kung Fu Sweetheart

Default My Kung Fu Sweetheart

My DVD of this film hasn't arrived yet, but here's a synopsis.
    I hope it's as funny as it sounds!

"Can you imagine swordsmen from period martial arts films appearing in a modern-set comedy? Cecilia Cheung now makes this possible by switching between a martial artist and an elegant office lady in My Kung Fu Sweetheart, a Wong Jing movie as amusing as any he has created. The well-known kung fu couple, Yuen Wah and Yuen Qiu, from Kung Fu Hustle, play her parents who hide their true identities as kung fu masters while secretly combating evil in contemporary China. Leo Ku is Dragon, our kung fu princess' boss who has seen her practicing kung fu when she is not supposed to. Together this quartet offer a hilarious crossover of martial arts films and comedies, filled with parodies of famous titles and swordplay novels to amuse movie fans from start to finish!
    Phoebe (Cecilia Cheung) is born into a kung fu family, and her parents (Yuen Wah and Yuen Qiu) are martial arts masters no different from those in the ancient world - they even dress in ancient swordsmen's costumes when conducting their secret missions. Phoebe's boss, Dragon (Leo Ku), witnesses a massacre at a business party and thus becomes the next target for assassination. Phoebe wants to protect him, and so enlists the help of her unusual pet, a huge condor just like the legendary one from the famous Return of the Condor Heroes. She also needs help from her divorced parents - her mother, who is a stock market speculator and her dad a public toilet attendant. How will they combat White Eyebrows and help Dragon to get through this crisis?" YesAsia

Found a picture:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i3.tinypic.com/wqsl83.jpg')
    Last edited by JamesG; 04-28-06 at 10:47 PM.

Well.. its not that cRazy.. but you can't say its so-so either. The humour is like.. above average, which really means.. it won't send you laughing throughout the whole movie like Kungfu Hustle. Anyways, though it has a little crappiness in the ending.. I can tell you, its not a bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    Well.. its not that cRazy.. but you can't say its so-so either. The humour is like.. above average, which really means.. it won't send you laughing throughout the whole movie like Kungfu Hustle. Anyways, though it has a little crappiness in the ending.. I can tell you, its not a bad movie.
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to watching it.

Watched the movie last night. This movie is supposed to be about stopping White Eyebrow’s plot to forcefully take over
    assorted businesses. He’s the only person to learn the 9 Negative(!!) Manual. [No yin or yang?]
    The conflict between Phoebe [Phoenix in the sub-titles] and Rouge over Dragon takes up much of the movie and their fight in a Ladies Washroom is funny. Phoebe uses two rolls of toilet paper like Xiao Longnu’s silk belts! Phoebe also gets a birthday present from her father… a gigantic 1000 yr old hawk [eagle?] that once belong to YG and XLN. The hawk can understand English, reads girly magazines and watches fashion shows and beauty pageants on TV. Sort of the Divine Chauvinistic Eagle. She calls it 'Big Bird'. Rouge’s mother is the sexiest lady in the movie.
    There are many things that sort of relate to Jin Yong’s stories in a funny way. Phoebe, Dragon, her father and mother have to learn the ‘True Love Kung Fu’ and use it together to defeat White Eyebrows. It’s quite an enjoyable movie and is worth more than one viewing to catch everything.
    Last edited by JamesG; 05-10-06 at 09:54 PM.

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

i watched this movie....it was enjoyable and watchable, but not a classic that you'd watch multiple times. It was hilarious tho with all the reference to Jin Yong wuxia terms, such as the giant condor from ROCH, and the kung fu manual from LOCH
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    Watched the movie last night. This movie is supposed to be about stopping White Eyebrow’s plot to forcefully take over
    assorted businesses. He’s the only person to learn the 9 Negative(!!) Manual. [No yin or yang?]
    The conflict between Phoebe [Phoenix in the sub-titles] and Rouge over Dragon takes up much of the movie and their fight in a Ladies Washroom is funny. Phoebe uses two rolls of toilet paper like Xiao Longnu’s silk belts! Phoebe also gets a birthday present from her father… a gigantic 1000 yr old hawk [eagle?] that once belong to YG and XLN. The hawk can understand English, reads girly magazines and watches fashion shows and beauty pageants on TV. Sort of the Divine Chauvinistic Eagle. She calls it 'Big Bird'. Rouge’s mother is the sexiest lady in the movie.
    There are many things that sort of relate to Jin Yong’s stories in a funny way. Phoebe, Dragon, her father and mother have to learn the ‘True Love Kung Fu’ and use it together to defeat White Eyebrows. It’s quite an enjoyable movie and is worth more than one viewing to catch everything.
    Yeah.. I liked the Condor. and COOO.

it seems after Kung Fu Hustle everyone is rushing to make these types of films, frankly speaking, My Kung Fu Sweetheart rates higher in my books the Kung Fu Mahjon (can never spell tis word).

its a cute film that holds attractions for both sex, unlike Hustle and Mahjon which i believe aimed mainly at the male viewers.

some knowledge of Jin Yong's novels would be needed to understand the comedy. its worth viewing but not buying.

Does anyone know who played the bad girl in black? She was rather cute and pretty, and it would be a surprise if she never acted in any other movies.