Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all... New to this place... Some questions...

Default Hey all... New to this place... Some questions...

Hey all, i'm a new member... This is actually me friend's acount, which he's given to me. I actually tried to sign up much earlier but i could never post as admin never sent me an activation email. I've been browsing the place for ages tho.

Anyway, i've got a few queries. Please take into consideration that i've only read experps from the net and seen the television versions of wuxia stories so my knowledge isn't as wide as say, someone like Athena's or Ken's.

1. So much emphasis seems to be put on how strong DFBB is and how s/he easily defeated LHC, RWX, RYY and the other guy (Sorry, don't know his name) when they attacked him/her all at once. What i want to know is exactly how strong DFBB was before he overthrew RWX? And did the sunflower Sultra improve DFBB THAT much? Or was it just because the other four that faced him didn't have as much time to improve (RWX and his right hand man espexially) between his imprisonment and the date of the duel?

2. I don't quite understand the Xiaoyao sect situation. So Wuyazi loved both TSTL and LQS at one stage or another. So why did LQS go and have an affair with DQC? And is DQC the student of Wuyazi or a martial arts brother? I've read plkaced where he's a student and then other sources imply that he was the martial arts rother of Wuyazi. An explanation of this would be appreciated.

Are these legitimate questions or just TVB jargon? =S

3. After Yideng renounced his thrown was there a successor? Was it ever mentioned?

4. Know where i could find competed and translated wuxia novels in Australia? Or would i have to order them online?

BTW, sorry. I probably should've addressed this in the other threads for their respective topics. But think of this as an intro for me. =D

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26988
    Anyway, i've got a few queries. Please take into consideration that i've only read experps from the net and seen the television versions of wuxia stories so my knowledge isn't as wide as say, someone like Athena's or Ken's.
    Don't worry! In that case you're in the exact same boat as Ken
    havent come up with a good one yet..

What i want to know is exactly how strong DFBB was before he overthrew RWX?

Another expert reader has provided some clue in the past. In Chapter 22, Ren Woxing said:
    今日普天之下,人人都知日月神教的教主乃是东方不败。此人武功之高,决不在我之下,权谋智计, 更远胜于我

It is known throughout the realm that Dongfang Bubai is the head of the Sun Moon Sect. This fellow's martial arts level is certainly not below mine. Furthermore his strategic skills are far greater than mine.

I assume that this is before Ren Woxing knew of DFBB's progress. If that is the case, then DFBB before practicing Sunflower Script is already as good as Ren Woxing.

And did the sunflower Sultra improve DFBB THAT much?
    Yes, Sunflower Script is a shortcut to attaining martial arts greatness (at an expense, of course). That's exactly why DFBB was willing to sacrifice his manhood, so that he can reach a higher level faster than everyone else.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Hi neo!

Actually, LQS only loved Wuyazi, she never really like/love DCQ at all. That affair wasn't really a "love" affair.
    ..ext88

Hi neo,

Question 1:
    -DFBB is not as strong as RWX before learning KHBD.
    -Most of the improvement since then can be attributed to KHBD.
    -Although RWX is being imprisoned under the lake, he has continued the development of his XXDF albeit making it more efficient and user friendly, rather than powerful. LHC and RYY's power obviously comes after DFBB learned KHBD.

Question 2:
    -WYZ married LCS
    -It is more likely that TSTL imagined or felt that WYZ loved her, than actually the case
    -WYZ became in love with LCS's sister and carved her likeness in a statue.
    -LCS trying to regain her husband's attention, then have affairs with other men, notably DCQ.
    -DCQ is one of the only 3 students of WYZ.

Question 3:
    -Yi Deng had a son, who went on to become the Dali emperor

Question 4:
    -Depending on where are you. China Books in melbourne have translated ROTK and Water Margin and Journey to the West. I would suggest amazon etc for translated wuxia novels though.

Han Solo

-DFBB is not as strong as RWX before learning KHBD.
    How do you know?

4. Know where i could find competed and translated wuxia novels in Australia? Or would i have to order them online?
    If you are looking for translated wuxia novels that were originally written by Jin Yong (Louis Cha) and Gu Long, those listed below are the only ones available commercially. Use their ISBN numbers to search for them on amazon.com or a bookstore (or more) near where you live:
    • Louis Cha's "The Deer and the Cauldron" by John Minford (ISBN: 0195903234)
    • Louis Cha's "The Deer and the Cauldron: The Second Book" by John Minford (ISBN: 0195903250)
    • Louis Cha's "The Deer and the Cauldron: The Third Book" by John Minford (ISBN: 0195903277)
    • Louis Cha's "The Book and the Sword" by Graham Earnshaw (ISBN: 0195907272)
    • Louis Cha's "Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain" by Olivia Mok (ISBN: 9622017339)
    • Gu Long's "The Eleventh Son" by Rebecca Tai (ISBN: 1931907161)

If you are looking for an organised collection of wuxia novels by Louis Cha, Gu Long and Liang Yusheng that are translated by fans into English, look no further than: wuxiapedia.com.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

danshu_ : Lol. You serious?

Extremer88: So it was like, a "I'm going to make you jealous" typa thing? Turned out great, didn't it lol...

PJ & Hans: I always had the feeling that DFBB wasn't as strong as RWX was prior to the overthrow. Mainly because of the 80's serial (Which i thought was a disaster anyway... ). But hey, i could be wrong.

Thanks for answering the questions all. Much appreciated. *Thumbs up*

danshu_ : Lol. You serious?
    Yeah but Ken's been watching * a lot * of TV series and asking * a lot * of questions here. That's how he earned his status as an authority on Wuxia here.

The Wuxia scholars here are mainly Laviathan, Athena and Huang Yushi. And of course, there are interesting guys like Candide.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    The Wuxia scholars here are mainly Laviathan, Athena and Huang Yushi. And of course, there are interesting guys like Candide.
    Thanks, Icy but my level of wuxia scholarship is nothing compared to those of Lav and Athena.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

welcome neo and hope u don't mind me stealing your thread to ask a question of my own...

the dog beating stick technique... is it supposed to be used with a long stick using both hands, or is it supposed to be a shorter stick using one hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Guo
    the dog beating stick technique... is it supposed to be used with a long stick using both hands, or is it supposed to be a shorter stick using one hand?
    I think it should be a thin bamboo stick (about 4 feet long) wielded by one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Thanks, Icy but my level of wuxia scholarship is nothing compared to those of Lav and Athena.

And their level of wuxia scholarship is nothing compared to Kwok.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    And their level of wuxia scholarship is nothing compared to Kwok.
    I doubt the accuracy of that claim.

Although I have never met Kwok, I have heard about his legacy. I believe that he was of the opinion that the Greats and the founder of Wudang are only as good as Duan Zhengming, Duan Yanqing, Ding Chunqiu, et al.

Didn't he also claim that Wang Chongyang was considerably inferior to the Greats?
    Last edited by PJ; 04-30-06 at 04:48 PM.

who is kwok??
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I doubt the accuracy of that claim.

Although I have never met Kwok, I have heard about his legacy. I believe that he was of the opinion that the Greats and the founder of Wudang are only as good as Duan Zhengming, Duan Yanqing, Ding Chunqiu, et al.

Didn't he also claim that Wang Chongyang was considerably inferior to the Greats?

No, he never said any of that stuff. Kwok didn't make one claim or the other when it came to comparing fighters of different novels. You're probably thinking of Kenny. I don't remember any novel reader ever claiming Wang Chongyang to be considerably inferior to the Greats. Kenny did believe WCY to be inferior to the Greats when the Greats were at their peak some 50+ or so years later, which seems pretty logical to me given the mass amount of time that passed by after WCY's death. Anyway, I've met plenty of novel readers online or in person and never have I met a reader with more in-depth knowledge than Kwok. I don't think he even needed to refer to the novels when he posted most of the times.

Lav and Athena are good, but too bad 99% of the people in here have never seen Kwok's posts or else they'll know what great is.

edit - Well, I can't find any posts of Kwok's (it's like impossible), but I did find translations done by him that are still floating around in cyberspace.

Secrets of The Link Cities - A detail summary done by both Kwok and LWC aka Flyingfox
    http://www.geocities.com/jyheros/translinkedcities.html

Translation of the 2nd Hua Shan Tournament: Done by both Kwok and Moin.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...=&threadid=677
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 04-30-06 at 10:52 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    who is kwok??

Some professor in England who read a lot of wuxia novels. I haven't seen him post in nearly 4 or 5 years. .
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    who is kwok??
    Kenny, Kwok, Lanny and Moin were the four greats of the old wuxia forum.

lol. Its seems like Kwok is mysterious old master that only the elders have heard of. Ha ha like Dogu. I hope I some day stumble over a cave with all his posts, then I would rule the forum world.

So cliché, so wuxia. he he

have only read few stuff from lanny, and kenny none from the other two