Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Prince of Han Dynasty 《大汉天子》

Default The Prince of Han Dynasty 《大汉天子》

m... not sure if this is in the right section. It is produces by mainland China, is it not? Hm...

neways.... can someone please tell me more about this series? I've seen the second one and i loved it, it was HILARIOUS! And i'm interested in seeing the first one.

Could someone please get me some info about it? Like the actors etc... thanx in advance!
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-07-11 at 10:37 PM.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

It stars Chen Dao Ming, Huang Xiao Ming, and Gu Jing Wen. There's some information about it here, but it's mostly in Chinese: http://video.tigercool.com/ProductIn...ProductID=1365
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Since you've already seen the sequel, it should be easy to explain.

DHTZ 1 is about the ascension of Liu Che(Huang Xiao Ming) to the throne and fully grasping it. The story mainly involves him going against his Empress Dowager grandmother, who had populated the court with her relatives. Later he goes against one of his uncles in a rebellion. The theme of the race from the north, Xiong Nu, also had a fairly major role.

In the first serial, Chen Dao Ming(one of the most famous mainland actors, played Qin Shi Huang in the 'Hero') plays the character Wang Gang took over in the sequel. He plays DongFang Shuo(his name has been changed to DongFang Hui in the sequel for unknown reasons, but DongFang Shuo is the actual name of the person in history), a political genius disguised as a fortuneteller. He would become the main support for Liu Che during the show. He acted very well here. Sure, you don't get the humor that Wang Gang's famous for. But it's a different kind of "Great". Cheng Dao Ming's scenes tend to be the most interesting in the show.

The other major characters in DHTZ1 includes:

Liu Che's servants/friends. I can't remember all their names. Zhang Tang, the chief justice, is among them. He is also renamed in the sequel, but his historical name is Zhang Tang.

Princess Ping Yang. Liu Che's older sister who helped him on numerous circumstances. She later married Wei Qing, which is historically accurate.

Wei Zi Fu. A different actress portrayed her in the first one. Her story is basically how she became Liu Che's wife.

Empress Dowager. She's the villain, and the actress who played her did so very well.

Wei Qing. A different actor, since he as young back then. His common upbringing is consistent with history, as is the fact that he became the top general in Liu Che's reign.

Also, Alyssia Chia played a character that I forgot who. She's the love interest of DongFang Shuo, and Liu Che had a crush on her for quite a while. But not a major character by any means.

umm, also he is called 9 ge throughout the series, as hes the 9th son of the former emperor

another of his servants, sacrificed his childbearing abilities (u ll find out when u watch it) and more...wont spoil it.

also forgot to mention the royal cousin, the crazy empress , forgot her name

the first one had some really cool fortune telling from words...very interesting

Originally posted by Meh

Also, Alyssia Chia played a character that I forgot who. She's the love interest of DongFang Shuo, and Liu Che had a crush on her for quite a while. But not a major character by any means.
    Her character is called Nian Nujiao. Yes, a pretty insignifant character, in my view too.

Originally posted by Zhang San Feng
    also forgot to mention the royal cousin, the crazy empress , forgot her name

Chen Ah Jiao. Irritating and a bit detestable at first but after she becomes crazy, I can't help sympathising with her (slightly) though it is undeniable that she brings all these upon herself with her unreasonable jealously and cruelty (how she goes all out to get rid of Wei Zifu)

Complete list on the cast here:
    http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/2002-10-16/1402106773.html
    Please visit the sites dedicated to the TV dramas, Mainland CCTV Xiao Ao Jiang Hu 笑傲江湖 and HK ATV Heroine of the Yangs 穆桂英 respectively. Thanks!!

ooo..if you've seen the second one, can you tell me bout it? I really really want to see it, but can't get hold of it...so what happened to Li Ling and Qiu Chan? They were my fav characters, but I heard that they got changed =(

Originally posted by 999roses
    ooo..if you've seen the second one, can you tell me bout it? I really really want to see it, but can't get hold of it...so what happened to Li Ling and Qiu Chan? They were my fav characters, but I heard that they got changed =(
    Both Li Ling and Qiu Chan changed actors. Li Ling's name even changed(along with all other buddies of Liu Che and DongFang Shuo, for some reason). They didn't end up together. Qiu Chan ended up with that little boy in DHTZ1 Huo Qu Bing. HQB became a general in the sequel, and was a hero against the Xiong Nu race(both consistent with history). Li Ling ended up with the princess who saved him.

Wei Zi Fu became an Empress when she produced a male heir. And his brother Wei Qing becoming top general. But the Wei Siblings power made Liu Che paranoid, and he kept trying to weaken both of them during the series.

Wang Gang replaces Chen Dao Ming as the "Genius" in the show. His trademark humor is here, very funny character.

The story focuses more on the ongoing warfare with the Xiong Nu, and further consolidating his power against his uncles. And at the end, they tell you that a third portion is in production. Obviously, he'll accomplish both, earning him a nice little spot in China's history.

thanks for the info =) it really sux that Qiu Chan and Li Ling didn't end up together, and what's the point of changing everyone's names? I guess for variety? *rolls eyes* but it's just stupid that she ends up w/ the little boy, I mean....isn't he just a TAD bit young for her? and I hated that princess girl Li Ling was with, eek...*thumbs down* well can't wait to see it, but I just get this general feeling that they're doing too many sequels...why don't they just end the thing? blah

Historically, what was Liu Che's formal title(like, for instance, how Li Shimin = Tang Taizhong, Liu Bei = Shu-Han Zhao Lie Di, etc.)? Was he a good emperor?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Historically, what was Liu Che's formal title(like, for instance, how Li Shimin = Tang Taizhong, Liu Bei = Shu-Han Zhao Lie Di, etc.)? Was he a good emperor?
    Actually, I believe Liu Che's the first emperor to create the whole title thing. His title was Han4 Wu3 Di4, or Han's "Wu" Emperor. He was known for taking away lands from the nobles(outlined by DongFang Shuo near the end of the first series). Hence fully concentrating the power in hands of the emperor.

and what's the point of changing everyone's names? I guess for variety
    Perhaps copyright problems? Because the names in the first series are the ones in history, so there's no reason for the changes.

but it's just stupid that she ends up w/ the little boy, I mean....isn't he just a TAD bit young for her?
    Umm... this is a few years after the end of DHTZ1. So he's grown up.

well can't wait to see it, but I just get this general feeling that they're doing too many sequels...why don't they just end the thing? blah
    If they rush and tell his whole story(covering his whole rule lasting 50+ years), it would be more of a historical serial, like Yong Zheng Wang Chao or Kang Xi Di Guo, rather than historical drama.

Thanks for the information, Meh.

Isn't Chen Dao Ming in DHTZ II as well? His face and name is on the series box(http://video.tigercool.com/ProductIn...roductID=11331). However, if Wang Gang took over his role as Dongfang Suo(Hui), who does Chen Dao Ming play in the second part?
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 01-13-04 at 06:59 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Could somebody tell me if Chen Dao-ming is even in here?! I'm two-thirds through the series and I don't see him anywhere. The only scene I saw him in was in the beginning where they were showing flashbacks and summarizing what happen in the first part. Otherwise, I haven't seen him since. I'm doubting he is going to show up anytime soon. I'm beginning to feel cheated. His face is so big on the poster, yet where is he?! Anbody a favorite of Qiu Chan? Hehe, love it when she starts pushing Emperor Wu's buttons and getting him angry. She got guts.

I'm sorry to say, but Chen Dao Ming is NOT in the sequel, at all. Yeah, I felt cheated too. But since the serial was good, I figured what the hell.

Originally posted by Meh
    I'm sorry to say, but Chen Dao Ming is NOT in the sequel, at all. Yeah, I felt cheated too. But since the serial was good, I figured what the hell.
    They should at least remove his face from the cover, then.

Are they making a DHTZ III? If so, when will that be out?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by beepbeep
    Could somebody tell me if Chen Dao-ming is even in here?! I'm two-thirds through the series and I don't see him anywhere. The only scene I saw him in was in the beginning where they were showing flashbacks and summarizing what happen in the first part. Otherwise, I haven't seen him since. I'm doubting he is going to show up anytime soon. I'm beginning to feel cheated. His face is so big on the poster, yet where is he?! Anbody a favorite of Qiu Chan? Hehe, love it when she starts pushing Emperor Wu's buttons and getting him angry. She got guts.
    \
    old Qiu Chan or new qiu Chan? I was a fan of the old one...but I haven't watched to see if the new one is good or not....is she better than the old one?

They should at least remove his face from the cover, then.
    Well, he is *technically* in the show, even if it is all flashbacks. I know it's cheesy, but what are you going to do?

Are they making a DHTZ III? If so, when will that be out?
    At the very end of DHTZ2, they wrote that DHTZ3 is in production. Besides, DHTZ2's ending left a lot unsaid. The only resolution was on the Xiong Nu attacks, which would allow northern Han's people be w/o fear of attacks, and fully develop the land there.

The main issue of destroying the feudal system by carving up the nobles' land inheritance was unresolved in DHTZ2. Nor was anything talked about him turning many private enterprises into government institutions. Nor his laws which helped really helped farming. I'm not sure they'll ever talk about stuff late in his rule, when he wasn't a good emperor, and there was a peasant uprising.

Originally posted by Meh
    Well, he is *technically* in the show, even if it is all flashbacks. I know it's cheesy, but what are you going to do?
    It's not just cheesy, but cheap too. What am I going to do? Nothing.
    Anyway, since Chen Dao Ming's Dongfang Suo is only in flashbacks, does that mean the show is technically saying that Wang Gang's Dongfang Hui is indeed a different character, or no? I'm not sure how it works...

Originally posted by Meh
    At the very end of DHTZ2, they wrote that DHTZ3 is in production. Besides, DHTZ2's ending left a lot unsaid. The only resolution was on the Xiong Nu attacks, which would allow northern Han's people be w/o fear of attacks, and fully develop the land there.

The main issue of destroying the feudal system by carving up the nobles' land inheritance was unresolved in DHTZ2. Nor was anything talked about him turning many private enterprises into government institutions. Nor his laws which helped really helped farming. I'm not sure they'll ever talk about stuff late in his rule, when he wasn't a good emperor, and there was a peasant uprising.
    I see. Thanks for the info.

I know that historically, Wei Zifu committed suicide. Do you know if it was on her own accord or was she forced to do so? What were the circumstances surrounding her death?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks Meh. I was kinda suspicious already when they show the opening theme song and I didn't see Dong Fong-shu. I knew something was up. If his picture is so big on the poster, his scenes would have appear in the theme songs. Guess not. But Wang Gang did a good job replacing Chen Dao-ming, his character was quite humorous.

Do you guys know when the third installment will be out? later this year? next year? I try searching the net for some info, but nothing came up . Instead, I ended up finding the "Da Han Tian Zi II" website.

old Qiu Chan or new qiu Chan? I was a fan of the old one...but I haven't watched to see if the new one is good or not....is she better than the old one?
    Both, but I like the old one better. She was more cute and bubbly.

I know that historically, Wei Zifu committed suicide. Do you know if it was on her own accord or was she forced to do so? What were the circumstances surrounding her death?
    Lady Zhuge, are you serious, Wei Zifu committed suicide down in history? Really, why though? what happen? Gosh, this series got me addicted to learning history now.

I have never heard of this dynasty before until now and I'm very interested in learning more. Was this after the Chin Empire or after the 3 Kingdoms? I know its before the Tang cuz their clothes looked too old to be after the Tang. If its possible, could somebody give me a very brief background of this dynasty or maybe direct me to a site where I get some info (english preferably). Thanks

does that mean the show is technically saying that Wang Gang's Dongfang Hui is indeed a different character, or no?
    You misunderstood me. Wang Gang plays a different character(Zu Fu Yan), but also the genius type that Chen Dao Ming portrayed. It's CDM's character's name that was changed.

I didn't know about Wei Zi Fu's suicide. I only have Chinese history books, which don't exactly concentrated on emperor's wives unless they're historically significant. My mom has a book series on the important empresses/concubines of ancient China, but she forgot where she put it. So I can't look at that either.

I have never heard of this dynasty before until now and I'm very interested in learning more. Was this after the Chin Empire or after the 3 Kingdoms? I know its before the Tang cuz their clothes looked too old to be after the Tang. If its possible, could somebody give me a very brief background of this dynasty or maybe direct me to a site where I get some info (english preferably). Thanks
    You didn't know the Han dynasty? Ever wondered why Chinese call themselves "han people"? It's from this dynasty.

In order, from what I remember:

Shang: First dynasty, very little is known about it

Zhou: Very decentralized dynasty. A fuedal system. Written language is more prevalent. It's hard to say when Zhou truly ended, since the process was gradual with the king having little power.

Spring-Autumn: Due to it's decentralized nature, Zhou eventually broke up as the local warlords take control and started to fight against each other.

Warring Nations: Overlaps with the Spring-Autumn period, so many people combine the two and call the era "Spring-Autumn Warring Nations". It was also during this time that Sun Tze's Art of War and Sun Bin's Art of War were created. In the end, only seven countries are left. Qin, Chu, Yan, Zhao, Han, Wei, Qi.

(221-214 BC) Qin: The first offical dynasty. The first emperor Qin Shi Huang(name's Ying Zheng) united the seven nations to create the first trully unified China. Did away with the feudal system. Built the Great Wall of China. His dynasty is also the shortest one, lasting basically one generation. Technically, his second son and grandson also became emperors, but puppet emperors.

(206BC-188AD) Han: Near the end of Qin, Xiang Yu(those who saw A Step in the Past may remember him as Xiang Shao Long's son... ficaitional of course) and Liu Bang(Liu Che's great-great-grandfather) both led rebellions against the government. After the fall of Qin, Liu Bang defeated Xiang Yu and created the Han dynasty. Han lasted for a few hundred years, and added much land to China through expansion. Han is divided into two eras, Western Han and then Eastern Han.

(220-280AD) Three Kingdoms Era: The gap in time is because there was great confusion from the fall of Han. Only after a while did the powers become concentrated in three countries. I'm sure most are familiar with this era.

(281-420AD) Jin and the sixteen countries: SiMan Tan rose to power(Jin) after the 3 Kingdoms era. But Jin never did totally control China. Very divided time. Note that this "Jin" has no relationship to the one in LOCH, for JY fans.

(420-589AD) North-South Dynasties: Don't know much about this era. More than two countries though.

(589-618) Sui: Finally reunification again, under Yang Jian. But lasted only two generations, as his son Yang Guang was an infamously bad ruler and gave away the nation. YG was notable for building the "Yun He"(canal) in China, which helped commerce within China greatly. He didn't do it for the people, though. He did it so he could ride a boat north-south on his vacations.

(618-896) Tang: Probably the peak of ancient China. Although it began in 618AD, unification did not exist until Li Shi Min came to power in 627AD.

(960-1126AD) Northern Sung: The gap is again basically a time of chaos and fighting. And reunification came under the Sun dynasty.

(1127-1279) Southern Sung: Basically gave up northern China to the outside invaders from the north.

(1279-1368) Yuan: This is the time when Mongols ruled China.

(1368-1644) Ming: Started when Zhu Yuan Zhang overthrew the Mongol rule. A very insular rule.

(1644-1892) Qing: Manchurians took over China

(1892-1949): Again, there's no centralized rule as warlords ruled the land. Chiang Kai Shek's "rule" was more a federation than a centralized one.

(1949- ) People's Republic of China: Present day communist China

Originally posted by Meh
    You misunderstood me. Wang Gang plays a different character(Zu Fu Yan), but also the genius type that Chen Dao Ming portrayed. It's CDM's character's name that was changed.
    OH. I gotcha now. Heehee. *feels stupid*

Originally posted by Meh
    I didn't know about Wei Zi Fu's suicide. I only have Chinese history books, which don't exactly concentrated on emperor's wives unless they're historically significant. My mom has a book series on the important empresses/concubines of ancient China, but she forgot where she put it. So I can't look at that either.
    Yeah, according to my Chinese Emperors book, she commit suicide in 91 B.C. Maybe it's one of those historical mysteries? I'll ask around.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")