Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat OT: Remembering an old wuxia poster named "Mindy"

Default Somewhat OT: Remembering an old wuxia poster named "Mindy"

This is somewhat off-topic, but it's something I've wanted to discuss for a while...especially during the past few days when the old poster "Kwok" from the Yushy Jin Yong Discussion Forum was brought up.

About six years ago at that forum, one of the most enthusiastic posters was a girl named Mindy Chow (who posted under both the names of "Mindy" and "MC"). She was a real delight to chat with. She was gregarious, friendly, and completely obssessed with wuxia. She was especially a fan of LOCH and the character of Gwok Jing, so I felt a special kinship with her.

For about eighteen months spanning 2000 and half of 2001, I kept up a regular correspondence with Mindy through the Jin Yong Discussion Forum and private messages on ICQ. Like me, Mindy had not read the novels, but was a fan of wuxia through the TVB adaptations of the 1970s and especially the 1980s. Mindy did have greater Chinese literacy than I did, however (or was beginning to acquire it), and in the later days of her time at the Jin Yong Discussion Forum, she had begun the process of reading some of Jin Yong's novels.

Early in May, 2001, Mindy said that she was going to take a three-month sabbatical from the Jin Yong Discussion Forum because she was traveling to Australia (Mindy lived in Norman, Oklahoma, USA at the time). She said she would be returning in August of that year and would continue posting. For some strange reason, I felt that it would be the last time I would hear from her.

It was. Five years have passed, and I haven't seen or heard a trace of Mindy since.

BaiQi44, who is also an old forum friend of Mindy and mine, has speculated that perhaps Mindy met with some unfortunate situation, and that is why we never heard from her again. At first, I rejected this proposition as too morbid to contemplate, but as the years have passed without any indication of Mindy's whereabouts or activities, I must confess that the possibility has crossed my mind more than once. It didn't help that 9/11 occurred a month after Mindy did not return as she said she would.

So Mindy, if you're out there reading this, speak up!

And if BaiQi was right in his speculation, well...it was wonderful knowing you.

Either way, we won't forget you, Mindy.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    This is somewhat off-topic, but it's something I've wanted to discuss for a while...especially during the past few days when the old poster "Kwok" from the Yushy Jin Yong Discussion Forum was brought up.

About six years ago at that forum, one of the most enthusiastic posters was a girl named Mindy Chow (who posted under both the names of "Mindy" and "MC"). She was a real delight to chat with. She was gregarious, friendly, and completely obssessed with wuxia. She was especially a fan of LOCH and the character of Gwok Jing, so I felt a special kinship with her.

For about eighteen months spanning 2000 and half of 2001, I kept up a regular correspondence with Mindy through the Jin Yong Discussion Forum and private messages on ICQ. Like me, Mindy had not read the novels, but was a fan of wuxia through the TVB adaptations of the 1970s and especially the 1980s. Mindy did have greater Chinese literacy than I did however (or was beginning to acquire it), and in the later days of her time at the Jin Yong Discussion Forum had begun the process of reading some of Jin Yong's novels.

Early in May, 2001, Mindy said that she was going to take a three-month sabbatical from the Jin Yong Discussion Forum because she was traveling to Australia (Mindy lived in Norman, Oklahoma, USA at the time). She said she would be returning in August of that year and would continue posting. For some strange reason, I felt that it would be the last time I would hear from her.

It was. Six years have passed, and I haven't seen or heard a trace of Mindy since.

BaiQi44, who is also an old forum friend of Mindy and mine, has speculated that perhaps Mindy met with some unfortunate situation and that is why we never heard from her again. At first, I rejected this proposition as too morbid to contemplate, but as the years have passed without any indication of Mindy's whereabouts or activities, I must confess that the possibility has crossed my mind more than once. It didn't help that 9/11 occurred a month after Mindy did not return as she said she would.

So Mindy, if you're out there reading this, speak up!

And if BaiQi was right in his speculation, well...it was wonderful knowing you.

Either way, we won't forget you, Mindy.

I never heard of her. I guess it's because she wasn't from this forum and I was not really good with computers back during those days.

PS: Ken why don't you read a translation or something?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    PS: Ken why don't you read a translation or something?
    I don't like starting something and then having to wait to finish. I'm most curious about the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY, but since all three parts have not been translated yet, I'm going to wait until they have before reading them. I'd rather read them completely rather than piecemeal.

TommyH
    Unregistered

I don't like starting something and then having to wait to finish. I'm most curious about the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY, but since all three parts have not been translated yet, I'm going to wait until they have before reading them. I'd rather read them completely rather than piecemeal.
    well the ROCH piece at WuxiaPedia is complete i read a few chapters there but still nothing interesting

Yeah. I remember Mindy. I visited the old Jing Yong Forum and Gu Long Forum (before they merge into one) quite often back then. I prefer to think she has just lost interest the forum. Maybe found a boyfriend and too busy dating to go foruming and now happily married with kids and even more busy.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Yeah. I remember Mindy. I visited the old Jing Yong Forum and Gu Long Forum (before they merge into one) quite often back then. I prefer to think she has just lost interest the forum. Maybe found a boyfriend and too busy dating to go foruming and now happily married with kids and even more busy.
    I hope so too...although I wouldn't mind a return visit every once in a while.

Maybe this girl moved on and found other interests instead. I mean people say things all the time and don't mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_One
    Maybe this girl moved on and found other interests instead. I mean people say things all the time and don't mean it.
    Probably. Mindy was so absorbed by wuxia (to the day she left, she was) that I find it unlikely that she suddenly, completely dropped it by choice.

But maybe she did. It's better to accept that as the truth than other possibilities that BaiQi44 and I have imagined.

I don't recall knowing any Mindy. However, our forum has several disappearance of members. Namely Jennifer and Goofy.

Jennifer was one of the best moderators here and she left a couple years ago without a trace or word.

Goofy was a frequent fan-fic writer, member turned moderator. Last I've heard of her she was moving from New Zealand to Thailand(her homeland). She told me she's been feeling lazy and didn't feel like going to the forum to post. She hasn't post a thing since July 1st, 2004. And we all know the Tsunami in late December of 2004, I hate to think the worse of things. So who knows what happened to her. I tried emailing her but no response. Before when I email, she would normally reply even though she's not at the forum. But I haven't heard from her for a long, long time.

Maybe she changed her email and she's still feeling lazy or busy with business or family. Or perhaps, she has stumbled upon a huge dvd collection of tv series and have spent the last two years watching them and thats why she's not posting? We may never know. Well, hopefully in the near future they'll think of Spcnet and come back to post.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-02-06 at 12:11 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I miss 'Son Of Light' the most.

What about jinjin and ghost of jinjin?

I do remember another frequent poster in the Yushy forum who seems to have disappeared as well. Can't remember her name, but I'll know it when I see it. She was writting a fanfic on the life of Dugu Qiubai - I believe she finished it. Anyone remember her and knows what happened to her?

Edit: I remember her name now - Sheraldine.
    Last edited by dgfds01; 05-02-06 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I miss 'Son Of Light' the most.
    good ol' son of light... that guy was very pro feminism

Yeah. He's even more feminist than the many female forumers here.

She probably decided to become me when she was in Aussieland.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    She probably decided to become me when she was in Aussieland.
    Unlikely. The personality differences between you and Mindy are about as great those of, say, Chow Bak Tung and Mit Jeut See Tai.

If you've only visited SPCNET and not the old Jin Yong Discussion Forum, it's likely you never encountered Mindy because she disappeared months before SPCNET was even founded. More than a year passed between Mindy's final appearance and my SPCNET debut (gives you an idea how long ago it was).

does anyone know where picket went?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Aww... I feel like I would've liked this Mindy... I wonder what ahppened...? I really do hope that it's just that she's busy.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    Aww... I feel like I would've liked this Mindy...
    Mindy would have been a great addition to the SPCNET community. Were she with us, I have no doubt she'd be one of SPCNET's most prolific and most well-liked posters.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Mindy would have been a great addition to the SPCNET community. Were she with us, I have no doubt she'd be one of SPCNET's most prolific and most well-liked posters.
    Ahh! I wish she was part of SPCNet. Hehe! I also like Kwok Jing a lot.