Thread: Shen Zhao Jing [神照經]

Default Shen Zhao Jing [神照經]

Lets discuss this lesser known internal energy cultivation art.

How do you rate this art?

How does it fair compares to other internal energy cultivation art like 9Yang, 9Yin, JYY etc?

Please don't say the art sux just because it's a Qing Dynasty martial art.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-04-06 at 03:33 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

hmm when was this art practice and which series?
    sounds awesome though... better than the other names

The art is feature in the story 'Liang Cheng Jue' (Linked Cities).

People say martial artists in Qing Dynasty is weak, but I got to defend Di Yun and his honour.

Both Ding Dian and Di Yun only partially mastered it, and already practically become the most powerful guys of their era.

There were sentences in the novel stating that Shen Zhao Jing is powerful.

一日晚上,丁典在他耳边低声道,“我这“神照经”功夫,是天下内功中威力最强,最奥妙的法门。 ”

丁典见他练得起劲,笑道:“练成神照功,天下无敌手。难道是这般容易练成的吗?。。。。。。”

Just like other powerful internal energy arts, Ding Dian didn't suffer any physical pain at all, because he has his Shen Zhao Gong for protection. This includes intensive beating till his body bleeds, and also for screwing this pipa bone, yet he felt no pain at all.
    ..ext88

It could also revive someone who was technically dead, though I think this was someone who had just stopped breathing (Di Yun), probably still some brain activity.

It was not just an internal power cultivation method; I think there was also a long distance palm/punch attack. Di Yun shot vultures/condors out of the sky with his internal power.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Just like other powerful internal energy arts, Ding Dian didn't suffer any physical pain at all, because he has his Shen Zhao Gong for protection. This includes intensive beating till his body bleeds, and also for screwing this pipa bone, yet he felt no pain at all.
    Wow, I didn't know that didn't feel any pain at all while beaten. I only know he can unlock his own locked Pipa bone with Shen Zhao Gong.

When did he stop feeling the pain? I doubt level 1 or 2 will can do that for him.

Both Ding Dian and Di Yun only partially mastered it, and already practically become the most powerful guys of their era.
    But in the series, Ding Dian said he already reach level 10. He reached level 10 in time to revive Di Yun.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Please don't say the art sux just because it's a Qing Dynasty martial art.
    It's funny you should mention that. I have a difficult time taking Qing Dynasty martial arts seriously because A). DUKE OF MT. DEER was set in that time period and Wai Siu Bo as, you know, not quite your archetypal Jin Yong hero, B). I've always thought that Qing Dynasty hairstyles and clothing looked ridiculous, C). my father's influence has long taught me that the Qing Dynasty was the most humiliating and degrading chapter of Chinese history.

But in the series, Ding Dian said he already reach level 10. He reached level 10 in time to revive Di Yun.
    I'm not so sure, maybe I forget about that part lah . But I think I remember in the novel that Ding Dian was pretty disappointed when dealing with an enemy in the prison cell. He couldn't really finish that guy off swiftly, and that guy is still alive after being hit by his Shen Zhao Gong.
    ..ext88

Wow, I didn't know that didn't feel any pain at all while beaten. I only know he can unlock his own locked Pipa bone with Shen Zhao Gong.

When did he stop feeling the pain? I doubt level 1 or 2 will can do that for him.

I don't think there was a level system for this kung fu in the novel, but I can be wrong (can't remember). I just remembered that the only reason Di Yun was able to quickened his use of Sun Jiu Kong by 20 years was the way he was choked by the rapist monk sect leader. I would rank Di Yun, Ding Dian, and Di Yun's "See Gong" as the top fighters of Linked Cities. I always thought the martial arts levels of the fighters in Linked Cities seems a lot higher than those of DOMD probably because of Sun Jiu Kong. Still, guys like Yue Doe Lo Joe, the 4 Lok Fa Lau Shuis, Di Yun's master and Di Yun's martial arts uncles all seem quite powerful to me and they're not even in the same level as Di Yun, Ding Dian, and Di Yun's grand master.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    B). I've always thought that Qing Dynasty hairstyles and clothing looked ridiculous.
    I don't like the Qing costume too, especially the half-shaved head and pigtails. That's my my copy of Lian Cheng Jue is especially precious to me. After Jinn Yong clarify the time period this story set in, future adaptations will have Ding Dian and Di Yun in pigtails.

But, I still think Shen Zhao Jing is powerful, despite it being a Qing Dynasty martial art.

C). my father's influence has long taught me that the Qing Dynasty was the most humiliating and degrading chapter of Chinese history.
    Your father a Ming loyalist?

I'm not well-verse in the history of the later part of Qing Dynasty, but I admire Emperor Yongzheng and Emperor Kangxi a lot, especially the former. Very hardworking and shrewd Emperor although very paranoid too.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-04-06 at 05:43 AM.

Can anyone tell me when exactly is Linked Cities set in? I know it's in Qing Dyansty, but under whose reign? Is it before or after Flying Fox?

Can anyone tell me when exactly is Linked Cities set in? I know it's in Qing Dyansty, but under whose reign? Is it before or after Flying Fox?
    It takes place after B&S, DOMD, Flying Fox. The story takes place at the very end of Qing Dynasty. I'm not sure about the timeframe of Horse Neighing in the wind and Yuan Yang Dao novels, but they both take place in Qing Dynasty also.
    ..ext88

It takes place after B&S, DOMD, Flying Fox. The story takes place at the very end of Qing Dynasty. I'm not sure about the timeframe of Horse Neighing in the wind and Yuan Yang Dao novels, but they both take place in Qing Dynasty also.

I don't think so. I know it takes place after Bik Yuet Kim and DOMD, but definately not Flying Fox. Wu 6 Kei's name was mentioned in the 3rd edition of Linked Cities. I don't think Wu Fei / Wu 1 Doe, Chen Ga Lok, etc were ever mentioned, but I haven't read the 3rd edition. Anyway, the martial arts levels of the people in Linked Cities vs the martial arts levels of the people in Flying Fox seems night and day. No one in Flying Fox is capable of taking on any of the 2nd tier fighters in Linked Cities.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

It takes place after B&S, DOMD, Flying Fox. The story takes place at the very end of Qing Dynasty.
    The end of the Qing Dynasty would be modern times. The Qing Dynasty ended in 1911 and was replaced by the Republic of China. By then, there were already airplanes, trains, automobiles, etc. The wulin world as it was known in wuxia novels was long gone by then.

The end of the Qing Dynasty would be modern times. The Qing Dynasty ended in 1911 and was replaced by the Republic of China. By then, there were already airplanes, trains, automobiles, etc. The wulin world as it was known in wuxia novels was long gone by then.
    Not that near to the 1900s, its around 1700s to 1850s. Officially after the 1850s, its still Qing Dynasty, but at this time the opium war and other colonies is also present in China so I won't count that period as Qing Dynasty.
    ..ext88

It's funny you should mention that. I have a difficult time taking Qing Dynasty martial arts seriously because A). DUKE OF MT. DEER was set in that time period and Wai Siu Bo as, you know, not quite your archetypal Jin Yong hero, B). I've always thought that Qing Dynasty hairstyles and clothing looked ridiculous, C). my father's influence has long taught me that the Qing Dynasty was the most humiliating and degrading chapter of Chinese history.
    Man, your papa must not have liked Manchurians. The Qing were just unlucky to be where it was in the time period of world history(industrial rev by the Euro). The Qing in MO had one of the most strong rulers than any other dynasty. Qin-1(QingShi Huang), Han-5(Gaozu,Wendi,Jindi,Wudi,Gwangdi), Sui-1(Wendi), Tang-3(Taizong,Xuanzong,Zetian), Song-1(Taizu), Yuan-1 (Kublai Khan), Ming-2(Hong wu,Yongle), Qing 5(Nurhaci, Huang Taiji, Kangxi,Yongzheng, Qianlong). And during Yongzheng's reign, taxes were extremely low. At a point in Qianlong's reign(about his 30 something year), there was no taxes because the treasury was so full. I definitely won't say Qing is one of the worst chapters of Chinese. It's just that Qing was unlucky.

Well, Bi Xue Jian and Linked Cities had pretty strong martial arts. Bi Xue Jian's Hwun Yuan Palm (this was Cheng Kwun in HSDS's main internal cultivation). Sen Jiao Jin is also strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    Bi Xue Jian's Hwun Yuan Palm (this was Cheng Kwun in HSDS's main internal cultivation).
    Not the same one surely? Just the same name?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Flying Fox and Book and Sword both takes place in the 18th century (1700's). So if it takes place towards the end of the Qing dynasty then it leaves me to guess it takes place during the late 1800's. Jin Yong created such a "powerful" martial art at such a late period?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Haha! I also dislike the hairstyle of the Qing's. Why do they need to shave half their head and leave a tail?

But I don't mind watching Qing wuxia series but I prefer Jin Yong novels that takes place in the Ming dynasty or before because I find those martial arts in those novels more amazing. Nothing towards the Qings though.

So, how is this martial art set compared to 9Yin, 9 Yang and JJY?