Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wuxia heroes... shallow?

maybe they were all scared of him ... didnt miss Ma want him to?

I agree almost all the key females in JY universe are of beauty. I rather it has some avg or fat girls in it that play key roles. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, how refreshing it would be if the hero has fall in love with a girl who isn't of typical beauty but the hero find her to be beautiful nonetheless.

There's the saying that goes, "The hero and the beaut complements each other." So that's often the rule when it comes to wuxia pairings rather than not.

But I remember one story in GL's Seven Weapons where the protagonist is devoted to a disabled, blind girl suffering from some kind of inhibited growth syndrome. She was no beauty but in his eyes she represented more than just that.

Even though GL's books tend to be filled with beautiful, promiscuous, and often evil women, he also is more likely to feature male characters who turn a blind eye to their charms.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

'revelation of the last hero' is a series that tries to defy this stereotype of where the hero gets the most beautiful or a gorgeous woman. the main guy ended up with his best friend who is of average looks...but of course he was completely smitten by "moon lady," the most beautiful woman in his generation but only to realize that he loved his best friend the most.
    Last edited by patricia n; 05-05-06 at 01:42 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    There's the saying that goes, "The hero and the beaut complements each other." So that's often the rule when it comes to wuxia pairings rather than not.

But I remember one story in GL's Seven Weapons where the protagonist is devoted to a disabled, blind girl suffering from some kind of inhibited growth syndrome. She was no beauty but in his eyes she represented more than just that.

Even though GL's books tend to be filled with beautiful, promiscuous, and often evil women, he also is more likely to feature male characters who turn a blind eye to their charms.
    Just finished reading Righteous Blood Clensing Silver Spear. The male lead also fell in love with an ugly girl. Even with a drop-dead gorgeous girl by his side, he still thought of the ugly girl (ok, the gorgeous girl was in disguise at the time, but he has seen her beauty, so, he knew how beautiful she was)

PS: I know what happen in the end. So, no need to point that fact out to me. Lets spare future readers the spoiler.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

how about Yang Kang? Mu Nianci was a beauty but not a top beauty. She could not even match Bao Xiruo. However, Yang Kang's feelings for her were at least true and i don't think based on looks per se. He was moved firstly by her dedication and tenderness to him.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    how about Yang Kang? Mu Nianci was a beauty but not a top beauty. She could not even match Bao Xiruo. However, Yang Kang's feelings for her were at least true and i don't think based on looks per se. He was moved firstly by her dedication and tenderness to him.
    Well. Yang Kang can't date his mom, can he?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Just finished reading Righteous Blood Clensing Silver Spear. The male lead also fell in love with an ugly girl. Even with a drop-dead gorgeous girl by his side, he still thought of the ugly girl (ok, the gorgeous girl was in disguise at the time, but he has seen her beauty, so, he knew how beautiful she was)

PS: I know what happen in the end. So, no need to point that fact out to me. Lets spare future readers the spoiler.
    The ugly girl must've died tragically and the hero ends up with the good looking girl.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Well. Yang Kang can't date his mom, can he?
    I don't think ancestral relationships were forbidden back then just like polygamy.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    The ugly girl must've died tragically and the hero ends up with the good looking girl.
    That's Outer Tale of Flying Fox, not Righteous Blood Clensing Silver Spear.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    I don't think ancestral relationships were forbidden back then just like polygamy.
    Nope, I think it has never been acceptable practice in Chinese culture. Cousin-cousin is as close as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    'revelation of the last hero' is a series that tries to defy this stereotype of where the hero gets the most beautiful or a gorgeous woman. the main guy ended up with his best friend who is of average looks...but of course he was completely smitten by "moon lady," the most beautiful woman in his generation but only to realize that he loved his best friend the most.
    "Best friend was better anyway" is an even more worn out cliche than "Beauty and hero" cliche.
    They are equally sickening to me...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

this is JY"s sarcasm towards males today

Cool Heroes always have beauties lining up behind them

Heroes in every martial arts story always have beauties supporting them. They always start low and later become great protagonists. The Bastard Swordsman, Yun Feiyang in Reincarnation, started off as a lowly servant and he likes Luo Wan Er. But, his love was reciprocated as Wan Er fell for Fu Yushu who was more accomplished. But later, when she realises that Yushu was a spy and despicable villian, she turned to Yun for help. Btw, Yun already has a sweetheart who is his own half-sister, Dugu Feng. Even after he mastered the 'Heavenly Cocoon' or 'TianCan Shengong', he was still a failure in love as he almost mistakenly married his own half-sister which almost turned out to be a disgrace to the pugilistic world. Then, Fu Xiangjun came into his life as she loves him very much, but, Yun loved his own half-sister instead and this had become the greatest irony in Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26988 View Post
    Did JY ever describe Ah Zhu as being beautiful?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    I guess A Zhu is an exception... but hey! both of them died... so no ugly girl has had a good ending with the wuxia hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Ah Zhu wasn't ugly no? She was daughter of the playboy DZC and since DZC only dig pretty girls, a beautiful mother. Her sister was pretty, so surely she's above normal in appearance.
    A bit late, but here is input on A'Zhu's appearance. In DGSD, A'Zhu is initially described in comparative terms to the women below:

Starting with Mu Wanqing, who:
    + Had a slim figure and long shiny black hair.
    + Had a pair of very dark eyes that shone with radiance.
    + Had skin as translucent as jade and as white as snow, a sharp chin, a cherry-like mouth with thin lips, and two rows of teeth so fine that they looked like bits of jade.

Then, A'Bi, who:
    + Had slim jade-like hands that looked translucent in the light that reflected off the waters of Lake Tai.
    + Had warmth and gentleness written all over her face, and elegance in the way she carried herself.
    + Not as beautiful as Mu Wanqing, but did not pale in comparison to the 'perfect' beauty because of her facial features (contributing 80% of her overall beauty) and warmth/gentleness (another 12%).

And finally, A'Zhu, who:
    + Was considered by A'Bi to be 10 times more beautiful than herself.
    + Had a face that was shaped like the egg of a goose, lively eyes, and a mischievous air.

Now, where do all that put A'Zhu in terms of appearance?

And coming back to the original topic, and going by the same token of "hero and beauty":
    Was Xiao Feng ... shallow ... to have fallen in love with A'Zhu?
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 01-27-08 at 12:23 PM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Then, A'Bi, who:
    + Not as beautiful as Mu Wanqing, but did not pale in comparison to the 'perfect' beauty because of her facial features (contributing 80% of her overall beauty) and warmth/gentleness (another 12%).
    I'm more curious as to where the remaining 8 percent's gone to.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I'm more curious as to where the remaining 8 percent's gone to.
    IIRC, JY isn't particularly good at math ... well, not as good as spinning wuxia tales anyway.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Strangely, Ah Zhu is the only woman that interests Xiao Feng
    So XF is the only one not so superficial other than YG hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    Do you think the wuxia heroes are shallow?
    I know in Flying Fox, Hu Fei loves both Yuan Zi Yi and Miao Ruo Lan, who are both very beautiful. the only girl he does not love, and cares for only as a sister is Cheng Ling Su, who is incidently ugly.
    Cheng Ling Su is not the most beautiful lady out there but she is far from being ugly.
    [img]6b98f428c89c49d495eb575a25dd059f.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx View Post
    Yang Guo said this to Cheng Ying re: Xiaolongnu's looks: "I long for her not because of her beauty - even if she was the ugliest person in the world, I would miss her just the same."
    Of course, he never found himself in a situation where he really had to put that claim to the test. It's easy to claim what one would do from the safety of mere speculation, but when faced with reality, how would one REALLY respond?

Every one of us likely wishes to believe that if we encountered a child trapped inside a burning building, we would have the courage and compassion to run into that building to save the child, but until we're actually faced with that situation, we don't really know that we have it in us to go through with it.