Thread: Yeung Gor is a true hero?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Default Yeung Gor is a true hero?

I read many old threads when I have nothing to do and I noticed that people don't really regard Yeung Gor as a hero. Why is that? Didn't he do a lot of stuff during the 16 years? We may not know what he has done but obviously people all heard about him and people even tell stories about him. Even Kwok Seung was stunned by his heroic deeds and she was the daughter of the legendary Kwok Jing himself. And yet people, during Kwok Seung's birthday and all, listened to him and followed his instructions. And how long did these people really know him? I doubt Yeung Gor's deeds are any inferior to that of Kwok Jing's.

But since Jin Yong didn't tell much about the 16 years when Yeung Gor did all those deeds, we must have thought he was just a good-for-nothing bum, heh?

All his deeds during the 16 years apart from XLN were definitely heroic... he also spent a lot of time practising his kung fu and inventing new techniques himself, esp. when he thinks of his wife.
    However, a number of those deeds were largely motivated by his longing for his wife...so, when he sees others bullying or ill-treating their wives/girlfriends, he'll teach them a lesson!

But, probably can't rank him the same as Kwok Jing... Kwok Jing was heroic in his lifestyle and it permeates thru his entire family tree, whereas YG really kinda did that to help pass the 16 years of loneliness without XLN. After that 16 years, YG & XLN disappeared... the story goes that Kwok Jing and his family (except Kwok Xiang) died in the next major battle with the Mongolians. We do not know where YG & XLN went but obviously their family tree survives till (at least) the HSDS storyline... and we can see that he still keeps in touch with matters of the world, but really separates himself in an effort to avoid anything ever separating him from XLN ever again. Even his descendants only really pops out to intervene when absolutely necessary.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tulipdroob
    All his deeds during the 16 years apart from XLN were definitely heroic... he also spent a lot of time practising his kung fu and inventing new techniques himself, esp. when he thinks of his wife.
    However, a number of those deeds were largely motivated by his longing for his wife...so, when he sees others bullying or ill-treating their wives/girlfriends, he'll teach them a lesson!

But, probably can't rank him the same as Kwok Jing... Kwok Jing was heroic in his lifestyle and it permeates thru his entire family tree, whereas YG really kinda did that to help pass the 16 years of loneliness without XLN. After that 16 years, YG & XLN disappeared... the story goes that Kwok Jing and his family (except Kwok Xiang) died in the next major battle with the Mongolians. We do not know where YG & XLN went but obviously their family tree survives till (at least) the HSDS storyline... and we can see that he still keeps in touch with matters of the world, but really separates himself in an effort to avoid anything ever separating him from XLN ever again. Even his descendants only really pops out to intervene when absolutely necessary.

I have to agree that he only did many of his heroic deeds because he had nothing to do. But then again, his deeds were probably really great because you can see GX admiring him more and more and finally starting to love him. His deeds are probably nothing less than GJ. But I don't like him with XLN because if he got XLN he don't care about anything else.

Yeung Gor earns his hero stripes, but he was a reluctant hero, and that'll cost him a few points in comparison to Gwok Jing, who dedicated his life to heroism.

But it's splitting hairs...the difference between an "A" and an "A-."

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Yeung Gor earns his hero stripes, but he was a reluctant hero, and that'll cost him a few points in comparison to Gwok Jing, who dedicated his life to heroism.

But it's splitting hairs...the difference between an "A" and an "A-."
    Well yeah the difference between their heroic deeds is really small. Even though YG wasn't really heroic and it was just something he wouldn't do if XLN was there, he still deserves to be called heroic.

Yang Guo is a reluctant hero, accidental hero, anti hero - however you want to call him He learned martial arts because he didn't want to be bullied, not because he wanted to help people.

If XLN did not disappear, the 16 years of Yang Guo's life would be in some isolated place (perhaps living in the Ancient Tomb) with his wife and not care about the world.

Of all the Greats in ROCH, only Guo Jing (Northern Hero) could be considered a true hero. I wouldn't call Southern Emperor, Eastern Herectic, Northern Beggar, Central Divinity, Western Poison and Central Urchin as heroes. They mainly keep to their egocentric affairs.

Guo Jings heroicsm is stubborn and sometimes stupid.. whilst Yang guo is the much more smarter and thoughtful hero IMO.. sure GJ dedicates his life for the good of china, but YG though may not be that dedicated still did many great stuff.

Yang Guo to me had always been a lover not a fighter
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Yang Guo to me had always been a lover not a fighter
    But he's pretty good at both.

wei wou wei gugu, xia...

wei wou wei gugu, xia...

杨过心想:“此生得与龙儿相会,老天爷实在待我至厚,今日便是死了,也已无憾。男
    儿汉大丈夫为国战死沙场,正是最好的归宿。”
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    wei wou wei gugu, xia...
    someone care to translate for the non-chinese speaking folks, please? i have a general idea that he's whining for his xln.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    someone care to translate for the non-chinese speaking folks, please? i have a general idea that he's whining for his xln.
    Roughly means "For me, for Gugu... (That's) Heroic".

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing

儿汉大丈夫为国战死沙场,正是最好的归宿。”
    Haha, but was that just before he unleashed his sad palm. Seems like what he 'thinks' isn't what he wants.

I interpret as a hero for myself and my gugu (as oppose to GJ who's a hero for the country).

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing

儿汉大丈夫为国战死沙场,正是最好的归宿。”
    can sumone please translate

Quote Originally Posted by yeung gor 2
    can sumone please translate
    Already translated. See Chapter 39 in the RoCH thread in the Wuxia Translations forum. It's about 3 fifths down the chapter.

Basically it says:

YG thinks to himself: In this lifetime, I am able to meet Long-er (XLN) again, heaven has already been very kind to me. I have no regrets if I die today. Being a male and not a pussy boy, dying in battlefield indeed is the best end.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    It was an altered version of Guo Jing's famous quote "wei guo wei min, xia zhi da zhe" which goes "For the country and the people, that is a xia's (hero's) duty." But instead I switched it around a bit to what IcyFox said ;0

Haha, but was that just before he unleashed his sad palm. Seems like what he 'thinks' isn't what he wants.
    Well, he actually had this thought before rushing the mongol king. He could have just went off with XLN at this point, he had already saved Gx. I do realize that Yg is no Gj and sacrificing his family for his country would not be as easy for him. One sequence that sticks in my mind is Gj admitting to Hr that his life, Hr's life are insignificant when compared to protecting the country. Yg could not have made that choice as easily as Gj...but in that sequence he realized that there was a good chance he could be killed, but he went into battle anyways. Yg is no patriot but he does have his moments...at this point he was very willing to die for his country.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

i see, thanks for the immediate translation icy and k2g and yittz.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)