Thread: Moving Targets

Default Moving Targets

I can't seem to find the thread for this--so moderators can delete this if there's already a thread.

Has anyone watched it? I heard mixed reviews, and I just got some free time, so thought I would give it a try. Bad choice --I thought that even if the movie itself was bad, the eye candy would redeem itself in some way, but that was certainly not enough.

Yes, Nicholas and Edison looked great in there, and Gillian is very pretty (if you're a guy), but that just doesn't cut it.

I suppose not all of it was the actors/actresses' fault given the script and plot, but they sure didn't help at all.

Did anyone feel that the entire movie was tailored and forced? Nearly every single action, tear, line that ran through sounded cheesy and fake. Yes, I understand that you're supposed to sniffle when your boyfriend is almost going to get caught by the police, and yes, you are supposed to have those tears drop down your face when you realized your father was wronged, etc. etc. But it still comes off as being forced. It's hard to explain, but it was one of those movies where I felt there wasn't much room for the viewer to make their own discretions and judgements, it was like everything was thrown at you in a well-formulated manner and you're just supposed to take it in and nod informingly, "Oh yes, so that is paternal love, that is sacrifice for your loved one, and that is "true brotherhood". For instance, maybe they could actually SHOW us that Gillian's character fell in love with Kit or decided to give him a chance instead of having her say frankly, "I decided to give myself a chance, do you really like me?" (not exactly translated, but you get the idea).

And it wasn't so much "bad" acting that annoyed me, but just bland, average joe, do what you're supposed and nothing much more acting that bored me. Nicholas is alright in his emotional role, sniffles and cries at the right times, gives his signature intense look, but doesn't do much on top of that. Edison gives his shy smile with Gillian, attempts to look pissed off and threatened on cue, but if you replace his pretty face with an average Joe, I'm sure the number of viewers would decrease. Gillian--let's not even get into it. She does nothing but pout, sniffle, look shy, and oh of course, pretty and innocent. Of course she doesn't really have "bad acting"--there is no room for her character to have good or bad acting, there is basically nothing there really to expand on . Plus, she hardly shows up anyhow, except every now and then for eye candy and to capture more Twins fans and viewers. Simon Yam was your typical good cop figure with lots of angst in his history. felt that he was rather boring in his role as well; his expression didn't seem to change much from the steady look required for his wise, experienced fatherly figure.

One thing I don't get--did the bad guy (not the baldy, but the one who set up Kit) not have a gun? Why couldn't he find a gun rather than keep beating up Nicholas? I guess more dramatical that way...

Another thing--are Nicholas and Gillian not cousins? How can they even be together in the first place? Unless they were really really distant cousins? But even so...

Some other things I felt were annoying was that handshake thing, which was repeated TEN times at least. Yes, I get the point that brotherhood is very important *yawns*

Overall, I'm not impressed. I guess it might appeal to fans, but I really don't like movies where I am told what to feel and conclude
    Last edited by yearning; 05-09-06 at 09:02 PM.

yes i've seen this film, i only saw it for Michelle Yim, she plays Nic's mother.

and exactly like wat u say, its very average, so average that i wished it was bad instead. at least then u have something to say.

by the time simon yam entered the picture i could guess what was going to happen by the end.

and the main cast nic, edison and gillian looks like a bunch of school kids. the police force look like they only contain young people, why would the task force consist mostly of 'kids'?

unless ur a fan of nic, edison or gillian then most people will find it really boring.

Yeah the mom was okay in her role, I thought she looked a bit familiar. Her character was useless though basically, typical stock character. I completely agree with the police force thing--completely ridiculous. Even in Infernal Affairs--the police force seemed a bit unrealistic at times. Oh well, it's media, I guess we can't really expect much.

As far as I know, this movie is made as if it is TVB Police Cadet but, as I read from the above views, it seems that the movie is nothing in comparison with the classic series.

even my sis, who is a crazy fan of nic.....comment tat this movie is a pile of shit..

well dear thanks for sharing this information