Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes the Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre what they are?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Default What makes the Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre what they are?

I was just reading a part of the translation of HSDS the other day when I came across this part (an part from chapter 1):

The tall monk was shocked and angry and yelled out: "Of all the nerves! How dare you come to ShaoLin to wreak havoc!" He turned his body and and advanced one step in front and his right fist aimed at Guo Xiang. His left hand was put on the back of the fist causing two palms striking down. This was the 28th technique of "Dashing ShaoLin" namely "Turning Over Split"

Guo Xiang held on to her sword and pressed down her sword with scabbard and all to the monks' shoulder. The monk held on to the sword.

JueYuan was very frantic and called out: "Stop! Don't fight!"

The monk tried to pull the sword over, suddenly he felt a shock through his palm and both arms felt numb he cried: "No!" Guo Xiang swept her left leg and kicked him down the slope. He was somewhat more injured than the other monk, his face was bleeding.
    What is it that makes the monk's arms feel numb? It couldn't possibly be GX channeling her internal energy through the Heavenly Sword, is it (was that the Heavenly Sword by any chance or was it another sword)? Is there special material or something that makes the sword this way?

You do know that HS & DS are made from Yang Guo's Heavy Sword right? Cuts through any metal/ weapons.

I think it is Guo Xiang's internal energy. Perhaps those monks aren't up to par.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-16-06 at 05:58 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    You do know that HS & DS are made from Yang Guo's Heavy Sword right? Cuts through any metal/ weapons.

I think it is Guo Xiang's internal energy. Perhaps those monks aren't up to par.
    Well it has been a few years and I have a feeling GX's internal energy improved greatly (maybe?). She has a relation to all the greats...

I don't get the last paragraph...can someone tell me what happened? What happened to the monk's face?

The heaven sword and dragon saber are just nigh-unbreakable and unimaginably sharp.

GX isn't using that here anyways, it's just a normal sword. Therefore it's her technique and internal energy an accupoint that's causing it.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    The heaven sword and dragon saber are just nigh-unbreakable and unimaginably sharp.

GX isn't using that here anyways, it's just a normal sword. Therefore it's her technique and internal energy an accupoint that's causing it.
    Is there any other parts from HSDS that shows the HS and DS in action? Is unbreakable and unimaginably sharp all there is to the HS and DS? I use to think there was special power in it for some reason...as if it had some magical power within...

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Is there any other parts from HSDS that shows the HS and DS in action? Is unbreakable and unimaginably sharp all there is to the HS and DS? I use to think there was special power in it for some reason...as if it had some magical power within...
    Well no one has ever thought about the connection between HS and DS besides the leaders of E Mei who knows the secret about the two weapons. They're both unbreakable and its only when HS and DS hit each other that it would break/cut through each other.

We do see Mie Jue Shitai wielding the Heaven Sword and later Zhao Min, who took it from Mie Jue.

We also see Xie Xun wield the Dragon Sabre for like twenty years on Fire Ice Island.

Golden Flower Granny was at odds with Mie Jue for some reason and saw how powerful Heaven Sword is and wanted to find XX because he had the Dragon Sabre which was known to be a powerful weapon too. She just didn't know the secret about the two weapons. Only ZZR got to the two weapons first.

Theres no magic in the weapons, they're just weapons made from the Heavy Sword. The magic is in the wielder of the sword/sabre.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Well no one has ever thought about the connection between HS and DS besides the leaders of E Mei who knows the secret about the two weapons. They're both unbreakable and its only when HS and DS hit each other that it would break/cut through each other.

We do see Mie Jue Shitai wielding the Heaven Sword and later Zhao Min, who took it from Mie Jue.

We also see Xie Xun wield the Dragon Sabre for like twenty years on Fire Ice Island.

Golden Flower Granny was at odds with Mie Jue for some reason and saw how powerful Heaven Sword is and wanted to find XX because he had the Dragon Sabre which was known to be a powerful weapon too. She just didn't know the secret about the two weapons. Only ZZR got to the two weapons first.

Theres no magic in the weapons, they're just weapons made from the Heavy Sword. The magic is in the wielder of the sword/sabre.

So if what ChronoReverse said was true then even if the sword GX was holding was the HS (which ChronoReverse said isn't) then it was her own internal power that made the monk's arm numb?

So if what ChronoReverse said was true then even if the sword GX was holding was the HS (which ChronoReverse said isn't) then it was her own internal power that made the monk's arm numb?
    Those monks were just low-class monks, how could they do harm to Guo Xiang? At that time in Shaolin, she was away from home before the fall of Xiang Yang so this situation was pre-existence of the sword and the sabre.

By the book, the HS and DS are just really sharp and unbreakable, but that's it. Even if the opponent is very skillful you can play around it by only hitting the flat of the blade or by not touching it at all, etc.

On the other hand, all the adaptations seem to give extra significance to these swords by having stuff blow up from a distance every time the weapons are swung, and other innate LDA characteristics like that. The most extreme example of this is probably that Jet Li movie loosely based on HSDS called "Evil Cult" or "Kung Fu Cult Master" where the Heaven Sword would glow like a lightsaber and when swung beams or lines of golden light would come out of it and break people's swords from 50 feet away, or allow the user to kill 30 people by spinning around with the sword pointed at the general direction of the enemy.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    By the book, the HS and DS are just really sharp and unbreakable, but that's it. Even if the opponent is very skillful you can play around it by only hitting the flat of the blade or by not touching it at all, etc.

On the other hand, all the adaptations seem to give extra significance to these swords by having stuff blow up from a distance every time the weapons are swung, and other innate LDA characteristics like that. The most extreme example of this is probably that Jet Li movie loosely based on HSDS called "Evil Cult" or "Kung Fu Cult Master" where the Heaven Sword would glow like a lightsaber and when swung beams or lines of golden light would come out of it and break people's swords from 50 feet away, or allow the user to kill 30 people by spinning around with the sword pointed at the general direction of the enemy.
    That's crazy...that's like to a new level of the world...sounds to me like a Mythical Series more than Wuxia.

wuxia is basically like mythical anyway... people tend to like watch massive attacks dealt in adaptions. over the top ones are like stormriders

Was it not the case that Granny Gold Flower guessed there was some linkage between the Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre? Hence she wanted to "borrow" it from the weakened Emei Sect and blackmailed ZZR into following her.

The old hag's intentions seems to have been to get her hands on both the weapons. Imo it seemed that taking ZZR along was because she suspected she knew something about them since she specifically wanted the new leader.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

TommyH
    Unregistered

I wonder what the HS and the DS can cut through and can't. Can they cut through marble? Glass? Iron? Steel?

I wonder what the HS and the DS can cut through and can't. Can they cut through marble? Glass? Iron? Steel?
    Anything JY wanted ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    Was it not the case that Granny Gold Flower guessed there was some linkage between the Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre? Hence she wanted to "borrow" it from the weakened Emei Sect and blackmailed ZZR into following her.

The old hag's intentions seems to have been to get her hands on both the weapons. Imo it seemed that taking ZZR along was because she suspected she knew something about them since she specifically wanted the new leader.
    actually the linkage between the two weapons were known by the entire wulin, not only the Granny. Everybody at that time heard of Dragon Sabre being the strongest and everybody should listen to the user's every word. Only the Heaven Sword can challenge its wrath, or something like that.

Both HS and DS can cut through glass and iron, perhaps marble. HS is awfully sharp, when sheathed the aura emanating from the sword could even break Granny Gold Flower walking stick. Hence, the sharpness of the two legendary weapon is indescribable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    Both HS and DS can cut through glass and iron, perhaps marble. HS is awfully sharp, when sheathed the aura emanating from the sword could even break Granny Gold Flower walking stick. Hence, the sharpness of the two legendary weapon is indescribable.
    The techniques of making both the Heavenly Sword and the Dragon Sabre were of the highest abilities/qualities, probably better than the Warring States legendary Gan Jiang and Mo Xie's ability of making weapons.

They can cut through any weapon with the exception of Ming Cult's Sacred Fire Tablets and the Dog Beating Stick. Dai Qisi's walking stick was said to be made from rare material found from the bottom of the sea, but it's still inferior than compared to the Heavenly Sword and the Dragon Sabre.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    actually the linkage between the two weapons were known by the entire wulin, not only the Granny. Everybody at that time heard of Dragon Sabre being the strongest and everybody should listen to the user's every word. Only the Heaven Sword can challenge its wrath, or something like that.
    Ppl only knew that HS can challenge the DSabre but i don't think anyone except Granny wanted to gain control of it because they suspected that it can unlock the secret.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Dog Beating Stick can't be cut through? I thought it was basically a bamboo rod and not particularly special in terms of properties or craftmanship.

^Was it not made of green jade hence its name green jade staff?

It couldnt be of bamboo, or else it would have rotten after all thoose years
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?