Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best ROCH Characters in all ROCH Versions

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxia_FTW View Post
    in my opinion carman was too stiff and cold. i know in the story XLN is supposed to be like that but on screen you need to show emotions on the face so that it is more pleasant to the audience.

I still think crystal liu did a better job overall.
    Everything is subjective, of course. Liu Yifei certainly did better in here than she did in DGSD, but I felt that she laughed a bit too much. Looks-wise, she was perfect. However, Carman was perfecter (sp?). It might seem like she's stiff in acting, but her eyes do all the acting. She's incredible. LYF's eyes didn't seem to have much soul. All she did was look sad half the time.

Yang Guo - 1984
    Xiao Longnu - 2006
    Guo Jing - 1984/2006 - tie
    Huang Rong - 1984. The subsequent actresses just look too maternal.
    Li Mochou - 2006
    Guo Fu - 1984 - perfect body language
    Guo Xiang - 2006? I don't like the character so the actresses' performances don't stick to memory
    Gongsun Zhi - 2006. Norman Tsui in the Richie Ren version is also good, but under-utilized.
    Gongsun Lu'er - 2006
    Golden Wheel Monk - 2006
    Wu brothers - 1983 (lol entourage)

(As you can probably guess, the 1995 version is a very blurry memory in my mind)

this is such a subjective thread...

Quote Originally Posted by omidus View Post
    this is such a subjective thread...
    I personally find it fun to see what others think of characters and their actors.

i prefer to know what they think of characters more then actors, as peple are bias agaisnt their favorite actress or actor.

try saying something like "Carman Lee ruimed XLN!" and what people come to her defense, but if you said "LYF was the worst XLN ever!" less peope are going to defend her as there are more Carman fans here then there are LYF.

This is a thread about the characters, takes away the two main leads, i think i like Maggie Cheungs take on Cheng Ying the most, she was so gentle even though her acting was only so so.

Singapore's 98 Guo Xiang was also extreamly cute and had the mischivious look that was lacking in the other versions, to me the only version who was suited to the title of Little East Weirdo. Yang Mi's version was to sad and upright for my liking.

as for Guo Fu, i think i like the 95 version of Gigi Fu, i've always liked her and she was the least dislikable of all the Guo Fu. I felt Guo Fu wasn't as bad as some of the versions made her out to be, especially the lastest one, she was a constant b*tch through out. I don't remember Guo Fu being like that in the book, but then that may have been the third edition changes that i haven't read.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Liking an actor/actress doesn't necessarily mean a bias toward them. As long as actors carry their roles well, their performances deserve to be praised.

Without doubt whatsoever, not even a close competition, I think HR-GJ from ROCH 83 are the best. Nobody else even come as a close 2nd. If I think about "ROCH, HR & GJ", I will always picture AYPS & BL. I can't even remember HR-GJ from other versions because they are not that memorable to me.

Now, for other characters, I usually have 2 favorites so it's usually harder to pick just a single one.

XLN - 95 TVB
    YG - 83 TVB
    HR - 83 TVB
    GJ - 83 TVB

Other characters are not very relevant IMO.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    Without doubt whatsoever, not even a close competition, I think HR-GJ from ROCH 83 are the best. Nobody else even come as a close 2nd. If I think about "ROCH, HR & GJ", I will always picture AYPS & BL. I can't even remember HR-GJ from other versions because they are not that memorable to me.

Now, for other characters, I usually have 2 favorites so it's usually harder to pick just a single one.
    I couldn't agree more. GJ/HR in ROCH 83 are by far the most memorable characters for me.

YG & XLN :
    Young YG /first time YG & XLN attracted to each other, chemistry in 83 is better.
    but at the end, after 16 years, 95 is better.
    2006... Li Yiu Fei is very beautiful and HXM is so handsome, but I found their chemistry is forced, what's with the looking at each other in slow motion... not natural.

GJ & HR : 83 Auyang Pheisan was perfect. Other GJ were too old and a bit ugly
    GF, GX : 2006
    CY : 95
    LBS : 83
    5 greats: 83
    HD : 83 (kent tong)

LOCH83 is the best... in term of all the acting and story line...
    the 4 top master were play by the best actor.. non that come after them can compare...
    I love HR dad in 83 version.. he have that oral about him evil/good.. as for GJ master the begger chief.. the LOCH83 are so much better then any that came after him... All I can say is that all the main character to the sub from the 83 version is so so much better then any that come after it.. it did not need computer imaging it have good acting which i think that so many series now lack... they are so into fake computer generated that they forgot that the most important thing about a series is about acting.. and how the actors can effect the whole series in general...