Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: What did you just watch?

Silk (2006, Taiwan; Chang Chen, Yosuke Eguchi, Karena Lam Ka-Yan, Barbie Hsu) - Rewatched this recently. Really like this horror/sf/action movie -- it's one of the best Asian horror movies around. The DVD I have includes a subtitled director's commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    I'd just watched Transformers 3 and it was really awesome
    Is it worth seeing in 3D?

I watched Dragon Squad, Triple Tap and Black Ransom and all disappointed me badly. They all start off good but the movies ends terribly after the half way mark. If they are not going to develop romantic themes properly then leave them out and concentrate on other themes instead of leaving everything dangling out in a mess when the credits roll.

And they dedicated "Triple Tap" to the late Leslie. Why bother? Just watch the original "Double Tap" which is 10 times better with way more charasmatic leads. Louis is just too bland in this multilayered role and Daniel doesn't have enough scenes. Chapman To and Lam Suet just annoy me even more!

I want to beat the living daylights out of the editor for "Dragon Squad" for putting in annoying flashes of the Korean guy posing in the middle of Sammo Hung's duel. It is bad taste, looks cheap and spoils the whole fight. Same goes to the flashes of "cool people" flashing out their guns to pose in the middle of an intense gunfight. Why on earth is everyone posing? Nice to see Hugo Ng back though!

And as for Black Ransom, then only thing good about it was Xing Yu vs Andy On. Anything else was either unintenionally hilarious or cheap. The story totally did a 180 degree turn after some guy got shot in the eye and started sinking down the drain. Liu Yang should stay away from Wong Jing who makes her look trashy.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Caught up watching The American, The Expendables, 3 Idiots (from India), Fantastic Mr. Fox, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Despicable Me. Needlessly to say, the only one that was close to any good was Despicable Me, although Avatar wasn't all that bad.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Is it worth seeing in 3D?
    It depends if you like 3D or not?I watched it without 3D,since there are many CGI FX graphics in the movie it is enough for me.The aero view shots was done nicely so you can see each charactercarefully in the movie.Tons of explosions,actions,and surprises.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Rose, Be My Love (1966, HK) - Drama about star-crossed lovers. Not much to recommend it to modern audiences except for the period setting (and clear and simple Mandarin which is nice if you're learning the language).

Screen shots

The Drunkard (HK, 2010) - "At the heart of the tale is Mr. Lau (John Chang, of Love Massacre and A Brighter Summer Day), an aging mainland Chinese émigré stuck in a boozy haze and struggling to get by as a writer. The city in the early '60s is already money-mad, and disenchantment is never far off for anyone trying to make it in the arts [...]"

I found it interesting, particularly as the story of an alcoholic Chinese writer in the '60s may be the closest we'll see to a movie about Gu Long's life.

The other day I watched The Sniper (神枪手) on YouTube. It wasn't bad, although it was pretty obvious that they must have cut most of Edison Chen's part. The plot became a little confusing as a result. Huang Xiaoming's character was more interesting than Richie Jen's character. At least the script let him do some emoting.

Saw Cars 2 the same day. Not quite as good as the first one, but still very cute and fun. Definitely worth seeing. Michael Caine is awesome even when it's just his voice.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Watching Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief now. Lots of plot changes. Too different from the book. I don't know what will happen later.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Rashomon

Classic movie. I can see why it's classic. Acting is superb and the filming technique create a lot of emotion. But, it's a bit too slow moving for me.

Johnny English Reborn.
    Hilarious from the beginning till the end

I just watched Four Extraordinary Women and it's about 4 women in the family having to deal with breast cancer. I thought it's a great movie though I'm only familiar with one actor.
    Less Than Perfect

I've just watched The man from nowhere on yt unsplit
    8/10

Just finished watching Higanjima: Escape from Vampire Island, a J-movie. wow, holy cow! far out.
    Gackt-sama's eternal love slave

Typhoon, a Korean movie. The emotional aspects of the show is quite touchy.

23:59

A Singapore horror film. Pretty good. Not just pure scare, got a good storyline. The movie is supposedly inspired a famous army camp folktale/real life event/ghost story.

Quite a number of Malaysian actors in the movie. I wonder if it's a Singaporean-Malaysian collaboration.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-17-12 at 10:09 PM.

The latest episodes of Pretty Little Liars, the Lying Game and Gossip Girl. I was in dire need of decent fashion.

After Material Queen and In Time With You, I've been pining for better stylists to work with shows. Especially mainland ones (although Unbeatable II wasn't too bad in the fashion stakes).

Gone
    It had me guessing the entire time. I couldn't figure out if her mental disorders were getting the upper hand, or if the serial killer really existed. At some point, the truth became more blatant. I won't deny suspecting that brooding detective who disappeared towards the end, and who kept a tangent conversation with her.

The Woman Black
    I was sad by the time it ended. Bittersweet indeed. I liked Daniel Radcliffe's character. Endearing, fatherly, earnest, and brave. Kudos to him for delivering a memorable performance. Not as scary as I expected. Ron Weasley made an appearance, of course.

Safe House
    This has become a favorite. Admired the reluctant bromance between Denzel and Ryan. Tense and visceral.
    "You can stay blind, or you can open your eyes."

The Artist. Very impressive. Deserves the Oscars

Watched the Hunger Games... (very political, worth watching once but not again).

Also 21 Jump Street... suprisingly extremely good watch! Highly recommended for a huuuuge laugh
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.