Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: LoCH Chapter 14 forward

Daily updates for me too!

Whoever requested it being weekly, you can just copy and paste all the translations once a week and read them all at once. No need to endanger the rest of our addiction

I also want daily updates, PLEASE!!!

Last edited by foxs; 06-07-06 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Moved to LoCH unabridged

Thank you for all your inputs. You don't have to copy and paste the whole chapter, I will do that at the end of each chapter. Just check the index.

There was another reason I prefer daily update. I did not want to divulge it for fear that I was just being selfish, but after a good night rest I decided to tell y'all anyway (sort of giving you 'behind the scene' bonus feature ... ):

Remember when this novel was 'dead' for quite some times? Right after we finished RoCH, we (the translators of RoCH and LoCH) kind of contacted each other via pm and emails. One of us expressed his/her feeling that he/she did not feel motivated (to continue LoCH after RoCH) because there was almost nobody post anything on LoCH, unlike the RoCH thread.

In a way I can understand his/her frustration. In my opinion there are a couple of reasons why:
    1. This story is so well known with so many TV adaptations that there is no more surprise for the readers, hence, nobody brought up anything.
    2. If the updates are not regular, then the readers would be unmotivated to check more often; hence, nobody post anything.

I can't do anything with the first, but I can try with the second.

Are we (the translators) selfish of wanting to get some readers' feedback? No, I don't expect you to say 'thank you' everytime we post something ... that's not my point here. This is a labor of love, there is no other reward for the translators than knowing that somebody out there is enjoying our hard work.

I was going to present this last argument to defend my daily updates but since all who voiced your opinion say you prefer daily, then I need to say no more.

Thanks Foxs and all the translators working on LOCH. I agree that knowing that someone is enjoying your efforts is a good motivator to continue putting that effort. :-)

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

yep...daily updates here too..

btw..how many parts can you stretch a chapter?
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Hrm. HYS isn't going to be happy about GJ. And it seems his disciples love him for some reason.

sorry if the translators feel that their effort are not being appreciated...i have actually been folowing this thread for the longest time but never really commented because i thought u guys didnt want people spamming the thread...i am actually really glad that we have this thread going on..i loved the tv adaptations of this story and am very eager to read the book's version...

so to all translator's, THANK YOU SO MUCH! i'd be so lost if you guys hadn't taken the effort to translate this book!! keep it up!!

I am guilty of just reading ROCH and never really saying TY or anything to the translators, but I won't let that happen with LOCH. I thought the same as Rachellam,-about not wanting people spamming the thread. Now, if I have questions or comments, I will post them. Thanks and keep the updates comming!

Thank you for all your comments.

Demonic: Jin Yong's chapters average 30 pages on MS-Word document (0.8" margins all over, Times New Roman, 12 pt.) I usually post al least 2 pages, at most 3 (I compared the length of my post to other novels in this forum). More dialogs the longer, because sometimes a sentence a paragraph; fighting scene shorter because the paragraphs are longer. My idea is: 2 weeks for a chapter, no longer than that.

Rachel & Santi: Again, a thank you for every post is not what I had in mind. Simple comments like:

oo...huang yaoshi is here [Demonic Swordsman] or Hrm. HYS isn't going to be happy about GJ. And it seems his disciples love him for some reason. [ChronoReverse]

show that you follow the story closely and most of all, enjoying it. These are what make the thread alive. (Again, it's not only my personal thought, but also the thought of other translator that I had contact with)

ChronoReverse: HYS is a 'I want to do what I want to do' type of man, when he loves someone, he would do anything for that person; on the other hand, when he hates someone, he would be terribly wicked. So he was very good to his disciples. Hong Qigong is more 'righteous' or 'stand on justice' type of guy. You will (if you don't know already) read more in the coming chapters.

Last edited by foxs; 06-07-06 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Moved to LoCH unabridged

whheeee!!! what a pleasant surprise! i did not expect foxs_ to post on a sunday! but you did! thank u!

and did i mention i love the interaction between huang rong n her father?

Well, thanks for stopping by. I try my best, although not always possible. Anyway, I missed hhaung on my previous post: Thanks for sharing another translator's view.

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

what does ‘gui yin zhuang’ mean?

thanx for the update
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Swordsman
    what does ‘gui yin zhuang’ mean?
    I think it's 'Gui Yun Zhuang' which is actually Gui Yun Manor, the residence of Lu Chengfeng.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

thanks for translating this for us everyone.

Just wondering if any of the translators or anybody else know an online source for jin yong stories that are in fan ti writing? I've only found simplified chinese versions so far.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 06-05-06 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks Demonic Swordsman and Sunnysnow for pointing that mistake. Yes, it should be 'gui yun zhuang' [Cloud Manor], I had it at the beginning of Chapter 14. That is an issue I'd like to have your input:

On names (places, stances and the like), I usually will put down the pinyin, and if I cannot find a good english translation, I simply write down the literal translation. However, if the same name appear again later, should I:

1. repeat the explanation; e.g. 'gui yun zhuang' [lit. returning cloud village - Cloud Manor]
    2. use the pinyin only; e.g. 'gui yun zhuang'
    3. use the translation only; e.g. the Cloud Manor

BTW, I am going to mention this later when I post the chapters in the unabridged thread, but I want y'all to know that Sunnysnow had helped me with several difficult passages. She has promised to help me again in the future. I should also point out that she was the one reviving the LoCH translation.

Default Chapter 14 - Part 13

Last edited by foxs; 06-07-06 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Moved to LoCH unabridged

It would have been entertaining to see HYS's face after taking the palm if the stupid kid had been Xu Zhu instead.

or even ZWJ with his 9Yang
    TaZzY InC