Thread: Sworn Siblings' Oath/Promises

Default Sworn Siblings' Oath/Promises

When the characters decide to become sworn siblings they make an oath that they "may not be born the same day, month and year but they wish to die the same day, month and year".

Does it really mean that once they become sworn siblings, if one dies, the other will have to die too? Or is it just the idea that they'll go through good and bad together and not literally die the same date as each other?

Because in all the sworn brothers/sisters story, one dies but the others still go on living.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    When the characters decide to become sworn siblings they make an oath that they "may not be born the same day, month and year but they wish to die the same day, month and year".

Does it really mean that once they become sworn siblings, if one dies, the other will have to die too? Or is it just the idea that they'll go through good and bad together and not literally die the same date as each other?

Because in all the sworn brothers/sisters story, one dies but the others still go on living.
    It's *rather* die on the same day, month and year not *wish* to die the same day, month and year. Either that or it's just something rhetorical they tear up when they sworn.

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

meh..in all these dramas, the one brother asks the other one go on living or something like that....

honestly i think it means theyll stick together through good and bad...look at romance of the 3 kingdoms
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

The philosophy of it is that if your brother's life is threatened you put yours on the line to prevent his death or die trying. If he is murdered, you also have to seek revenge or die trying.

But if he falls off a cliff, dies of syphilis or old age, you don't kill yourself!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    But if he falls off a cliff, dies of syphilis or old age, you don't kill yourself!
    now thats a good laugh!
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 06-05-06 at 04:48 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Then there was Temujin and his sworn Tatar brother who he had to execute for his traitorous behavior. And Guo Jing and Yang Kang whose fathers made them sworn brothers at birth. Sworn Brotherhood has it's limits.

I didn't think it was possible to swear brotherhood on someone else's behalf :P Although I wonder, when Xiao Feng swore brotherhood with Duan Yu and then Duan Yu swore brotherhood with Xu Zhu, did that make Xiao Feng and Xu Zhu automatically sworn brothers, or was it only after they swore it at Shaolin that it became official?

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    I didn't think it was possible to swear brotherhood on someone else's behalf :P Although I wonder, when Xiao Feng swore brotherhood with Duan Yu and then Duan Yu swore brotherhood with Xu Zhu, did that make Xiao Feng and Xu Zhu automatically sworn brothers, or was it only after they swore it at Shaolin that it became official?
    You can't swear on someone's behalf. Xiao Feng was not honour bound to take Xu Zhu as a brother but he did so as he thought Xu Zhu was risking his neck to come forward to acknowledge him as at that point, everyone on the mountain wanted Xiao Feng dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    You can't swear on someone's behalf. Xiao Feng was not honour bound to take Xu Zhu as a brother but he did so as he thought Xu Zhu was risking his neck to come forward to acknowledge him as at that point, everyone on the mountain wanted Xiao Feng dead.
    From chapter 1 of LOCH: "Guo XiaoTian asked: "What is it?" Yang TieXin explained: "If both our kids are boys, then they will be sworn brothers. If they are girls, then they'll be sworn sisters...." Guo XiaoTian cuts in: "And if it is a boy and a girl, then they'll be husband and wife." The two of them grabbed each other's hand and laughed heartily.

Bao XiRuo came back out from inside, smiled and asked: "What has made you two so happy?" Yang TieXin repeated what they just said to her. Bao XiRuo blushed, but she was happy in her heart as well. Yang TieXin suggested: "Let's trade our dagger right now as a pledge to the engagement. If they turn out to be sworn brothers or sisters, we can still switch back. If they are a little couple...." Guo XiaoTian joked: "Then I'm really very sorry, for both daggers would belong to my family then." Bao XiRuo laughed and replied: "You never know, maybe they would both belong to our family instead." So the two men switched daggers right there. Actually, arranging marriages before a child is born happens very often, there was nothing unusual about it."

Guo Jing was probably told this story by his mother in Mongolia when she gave him Yang Kang's knife. He likely felt bound by the fathers' wishes and regarded Yang Kang as his sworn brother.
    Last edited by JamesG; 06-05-06 at 09:36 PM.