Thread: Gender Swapped Shows.. Just Love, Handful of Love, When Rules Turn Loose

Default Gender Swapped Shows.. Just Love, Handful of Love, When Rules Turn Loose

Do you think these shows are realistic?

Why do the guy and girl change "roles" (as according to what is "normal" in society).. but in the end, they change back?

I've only watched A Handful of Love out of that list you posted. I think it's pretty realistic. Women are becoming smarter and more independent and men enjoy spending time at home with their families and children today. It's not completely far-fetched.

*-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

hmm.. but do you really think that men are willing to stay at home and be a househusband, just as many women stay home and be housewives?

yay you are willing to answer my questions

Yes, there are men who are willing to do so, especially when his wives earn more than them. These men feel that it's more economically sound to let the partner that earn more to continue with her job and while the one wo earn less to stay home to look after the kids and home. But these men usually not totally dependant on their wives for income. They usually has some side income. They just doesn't work full time outside.

The 3 series you listed i.e. 'Just Love', 'A Handful Of Love' and 'When Rules Turn Loose' reflect this.. All 3 househusbands have their own job. Househusband in 'Just Love' is a computer programmer who works at home. Househusband in AHOL is a part-time music teacher. The 3rd one is not exactly a househusband. We didn't see him do chores and stuff. He's stays at home because he's a writer/novelist. So, he also works from home. Later he works in a radio show.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-01-06 at 09:21 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

so you are saying that these are actually pretty realistic portrayals of our contemporary society? and hk society is accepting of these. because definitely in just love and handful of love, society (as represented by the other characters) defintiely questions the normalcy of the gender-swapped relationship.

(sorry! merely, playing devil's advocate! I'm just interested in hearing views before i actually start working on my dissertation. and doing indepth analysis, interviews etc. and yes, i will be rewatching the shows, because i saw them quite a while ago and not in full context. thanks )

Quote Originally Posted by dissertation
    so you are saying that these are actually pretty realistic portrayals of our contemporary society? and hk society is accepting of these. because definitely in just love and handful of love, society (as represented by the other characters) defintiely questions the normalcy of the gender-swapped relationship.
    These people are in the minorities, but yes, there are househusbands in society.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

It's true that A Handful of Love, for example, questions the normalcy of gender-swapped roles (when one of the sons gets mad at Joe Ma - the 'dad' - because other women say he's a 'sissy' in the grocery store). But it's also a point that TVB exaggerates the 'gender-swap' for entertainment's sake. I'm sure that in real life there are households where there seems to be a gender swap, but the mom still knows how to cook and clean the house and the man is still... well...manly?! Geez I don't know what men do anymore. I did Feminism and Anthropology in university and feel sorry for men in the last 50 years. They've had to deal with a lot of changes in a real short amount of time!

Anyways, my point is that TVB exaggerates reality for entertainment, but still at the core reflects the changes going on in society.

Have yet to watch La Femme Desperado... sounds really interesting.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

which character (from any tv show) do you guys think made a breakthrough for their gender?

Do you think these shows are realistic?

Why do the guy and girl change "roles" (as according to what is "normal" in society).. but in the end, they change back?

i think it`s realistic. some men, are now househusbands, and women are the working income of the houseohold. my mother is, & my father cooks and pretty much cleans. so they are realistic.

your other question, im` not sure why they change roles & change back. maybe the people, who write the script MAKE it so they turn back. :]
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^