Thread: Ranking of the 5 mountains Sword School's swordplays

Default Ranking of the 5 mountains Sword School's swordplays

In SOD, almost all the secs and clans has their own unique swordplays... So if we were to compare the 5 mountains Sword schools sword styles with each other... how would they be ranked?

IMO, Huashan should have a slight edge over Song Shan, North/South Heng Shan and Taishan since they made a brief appearance in HSDS and assuming that SOD does take place after the events of HSDS... they would have more time to refined their sword arts... again this is just my opinion.

As for the other four... kinda hard to rank them... what are your thoughts in this guys?
    " Forgo your past and embrance the future OR abandon your future to save your past?"

This seems to be impossible to answer. Each school's swordplay has different characteristics; I don't believe that any school's swordplay is inherently superior overall.

With Huashan it would depend on whether it's the chi school or the swordplay school, wouldn't it?

Huashan contains remnants of some Quanzhen Sect's martial arts as their founder was Hao Datong.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Huashan contains remnants of some Quanzhen Sect's martial arts as their founder was Hao Datong.
    Huh?

Pls tell me, which is the source for this info?

Han Solo

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

wouldnt hengshan's swordart be better than songshans since two different songshan elites lost two hengshan elites?
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Swordsman
    wouldnt hengshan's swordart be better than songshans since two different songshan elites lost two hengshan elites?
    Yeah, but Chief Zuo of Song Shan would beat any heng shan fighters. So each school does have it's own strength.

Wouldn't it all depend on how skilled the person is? The swordplay only comes alive when the practitioner (sp?) knows how to use it well. If their training is not good, then chances are they'll be defeated, isn't that true? All the sword schools have to have some greatness in their swordplay skills in order to make a name in wulin. Some of the students of the schools may have not learned all the levels of the swordplay techniques taught and some just didn't have the skills/ability to learn to that higher level like the founders of the schools and earlier generations.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

How about comparing just the chief of each school?

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    How about comparing just the chief of each school?
    i think songshan had the strongest chief...i remember something about huashan having the most elites but they had internal fighting so songshan become the leader
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremer888
    Huh?

Pls tell me, which is the source for this info?
    I think this was true in real life, i.e. Hao Datong set up a Taoist school called Huashan, but it is not the same school as in wuxia, and I very much doubt that it is the same as in the JY universe.

You're right
    http://www.asianresearch.org/articles/1259.html

Though, there's never any assosiation between Hao DaTong and Huashan in JY works as far as i know.

Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Though, there's never any assosiation between Hao DaTong and Huashan in JY works as far as i know.
    Huashan Sect first appeared in HSDS among all the JY novels. Hao Datong was historically the founder of the Huashan Sect, and I believe this was the same as found in JY novels. HSDS was set after hundred years' later of Hao Datong's life. If in JY works, Hao Datong and Huashan do not have any connection, then why there's no mention or appearance of a Huashan Sect in DGSD/LOCH/ROCH? Wouldn't it be a coincidence?

And during both the Huashan Tournaments, why there's no Huashan Sect people viewing the tournament since its so NEAR to their home? It's because Huashan Sect haven't been form yet. And JY have a habit of using historical people and happenings in his novel, so Hao Datong could be the founder of Huashan Sect in JY novels.
    ..ext88

If JY wanted Hao DaTong to be the founder of Huashan, he would have explicitly made it so, i believe.

Han Solo

I agree with Han Solo on this point. I believe Jin Yong did try to make us have a feeling that the 7 taoists of Chuan Jen abandoned Chongyang Palace and went to somewhere and then they died due to their old ages and that Chuan Jen continued staying under the new leader but it has never been the same again. If Hao Da Tong set up Hua Shan during that time, Jin Yong must mention so. Moreover, as we see, Hua Shan's kongfu style is not somewhere similar to Chuan Jen one.

I think Hua Shan kung fu was a blending of Quanzhen and Dugu, with each faction representing one or the other. The Qi faction is Quanzhen, the Sword faction is Dugu.

"variation of emotions is important"...i think...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    I think Hua Shan kung fu was a blending of Quanzhen and Dugu, with each faction representing one or the other. The Qi faction is Quanzhen, the Sword faction is Dugu.
    The split occured after huashan elders obtained KHBD and it can be speculated that FQY got DG9J outside Huashan school.

Han Solo