Thread: Why is Taoist priest called cow's nose?

Default Why is Taoist priest called cow's nose?

In several Jin Yong's stories, a Taoist priest either calls himself cow's nose toaist priest or other people call him cow's nose toaist priest.

Why?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Yeah I am wondering that too.

Why that is?

Isn't it Ox-Nosed Taoist? I guess its just to poke fun at the Taoist or a nickname for fun.

I mean why do older people call younger folks Stinky Little Runt?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Isn't it Ox-Nosed Taoist? I guess its just to poke fun at the Taoist or a nickname for fun.
    I know it's a nickname. But every nickname has to have a reason for it. Why not Ox-Eared Taoist? Why not Horse-Nosed Taoist? Why Ox-Nosed? That what I want to know.
    I mean why do older people call younger folks Stinky Little Runt?
    Well, at least, there is the word 'Little' there to mean young people.

The Taoist's nose does not look like an Ox-Nosed in any way, shape or form.

Have u never thought of how certain nickname arrived?

You really don't think that a person's nose can't be similiar in shape at all? I mean look at American people's noses they're higher and some Asian noses tend to be flat. I don't have visual examples for an ox-nosed person on hand but there must be some resemlance somewhere.

Or they could really just be saying how that taoist is hot-tempered and the nose goes flaring like a ox nose.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

You really don't think that a person's nose can't be similiar in shape at all? I mean look at American people's noses they're higher and some Asian noses tend to be flat. I don't have visual examples for an ox-nosed person on hand but there must be some resemlance somewhere.

Or they could really just be saying how that taoist is hot-tempered and the nose goes flaring like a ox nose.
    Is toaist a special race? In JY novels, aren't they all chinese? Why would their noses be special? Why no one called members from other sect Ox-Nosed? Don't tell me they are all gentle peace loving people who won't get angry.

If one 1 specific Taoist is being called Ox-Nosed Taoist, I can understand. Maybe that toaist is hot-tempered or his nose looks like an ox's. But it's a cross-book reference. LHC called a toaist Ox-Nosed Toaist. Taoist Cong Xu called himself Ox-Nosed Taoist (self-depreciation joke). They are not the same Taiost. They are 2 different people from 2 different time period.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Is toaist a special race? In JY novels, aren't they all chinese? Why would their noses be special? Why no one called members from other sect Ox-Nosed? Don't tell me they are all gentle peace loving people who won't get angry.

If one 1 specific Taoist is being called Ox-Nosed Taoist, I can understand. Maybe that toaist is hot-tempered or his nose looks like an ox's. But it's a cross-book reference. LHC called a toaist Ox-Nosed Toaist. Taoist Cong Xu called himself Ox-Nosed Taoist (self-depreciation joke). They are not the same Taiost. They are 2 different people from 2 different time period.
    I'm just giving you some suggestions here. Since we don't know how to contact Jin Yong personally and ask him, all we have here is guesses and speculations.

The "air" in this thread feels a bit tense.

Since we're on facial features, just how many people really have a horse-face face? Is it really long like a horse? Because I've never seen anyone's face like it before.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

There are two known explanations:

1. The Taoist priest and priestess hairdo (the bun and the pin) resembles the nose of an ox. Hence, Ox-Nosed.

2. The founder of Taoism is Lao Tze (more or less), Lao Tze was known to ride an ox wherever he went. Sometimes his ox would not listen or be disobedient, Lao Tze was forced to pull the ring that was pierced through the nose of the ox, so that the beast would follow him. Taoist priests and taoist priestesses are followers of Taoism (therefore indirectly also followers of Lao Tze), hence Taoist priests are humorously called Ox-nosed.

Now back to my own Taoist seclusion. Ta Ta!
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Thanks Athena. You are a great help.

Thank God someone actually understand what I asked.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-03-06 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena

1. The Taoist priest and priestess hairdo (the bun and the pin) resembles the nose of an ox. Hence, Ox-Nosed.

2. The founder of Taoism is Lao Tze (more or less), Lao Tze was known to ride an ox wherever he went. Sometimes his ox would not listen or be disobedient, Lao Tze was forced to pull the ring that was pierced through the nose of the ox, so that the beast would follow him. Taoist priests and taoist priestesses are followers of Taoism (therefore indirectly also followers of Lao Tze), hence Taoist priests are humorously called Ox-nosed.

Haha...Wow...learnt something new. Only an expert could be of help. Well....can't blame some people for trying, however, futile.

hmm, learnt something today. thks, athena.

... sometimes truth is stranger than fiction :P

Heard if you pull an ox nose ring hard enough you can tear its nose up.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

how enlightening....thanx gurl!
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -