Thread: Which Great could have saved Kwok Seung?

Default Which Great could have saved Kwok Seung?

In the last battle of ROCH, Kwok Seung was held captive on top of towel and ready to be burnt. The powerful Golden Wheel Monk guards her fate. We all know that Yeung Gor battle to the brink of death to overcome Golden Wheel Monk and rescue Kwok Seung. I wonder how would the other Greats do if they were to try and rescue Kwok Seung alone. Remember there is a time limit as the fire is gorging the towel so whoever is attempting to save Kwok Seung needs to defeat GWM in a timely fashion. Which Great can do it? Have fun with your imagination and describe the scene.

Guo Jing. Jinlun Guoshi would just piss his pants and run away as GJ approached.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Guo Jing. Jinlun Guoshi would just piss his pants and run away as GJ approached.
    Nah, Jinlun Guoshi was too powerful for Guo Jing at the end of ROCH.

Wang Chongyang.

How about Zhou Botong? GWM would get annoyed by him easily.
    ..ext88

Any one of them could have done it, provided he had the element of surprise. None of the other Greats was able to approach the tower because the Mongol army separated all of them from the tower, but Yeung Gor was able to swoop in from nowhere (nobody had expected him to show up) and catch the Mongols off guard.

It was all about timing and the element of surprise. Had Yeung Gor been standing in the middle of Seung Yeung Fortress with the other Greats, he would have been just as helpless as they were.

YG saved Guo Xiang only because GWM didn't want to kill her and saved her in the last minute.

So if not for GWM changing his mind in the last minute, no Great, including YG could have done it. You'll need one of the DGSD guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    YG saved Guo Xiang only because GWM didn't want to kill her and saved her in the last minute.
    That's true in the current edition of ROCH, but in the first two editions, Yeung Gor had a "cleaner" save.

Quote Originally Posted by CC

So if not for GWM changing his mind in the last minute, no Great, including YG could have done it. You'll need one of the DGSD guys.
    Actually YG would have still save her if GWM didn't chang his mind as this scenerio already occur in the previous edition so it shouldnt be a doubt YG would still save her regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Any one of them could have done it, provided he had the element of surprise. None of the other Greats was able to approach the tower because the Mongol army separated all of them from the tower, but Yeung Gor was able to swoop in from nowhere (nobody had expected him to show up) and catch the Mongols off guard.

It was all about timing and the element of surprise. Had Yeung Gor been standing in the middle of Seung Yeung Fortress with the other Greats, he would have been just as helpless as they were.
    For the sake of discussion, I did assume all the Greats had the opportunity to face Golden Wheel Monk at the burning towel. But I highly doubt they could defeat Golden Wheel Monk in a timely fashion as which this situation demands or else Kwok Seung will be burnt to death.

Lets look at Golden Wheel Monk vs Yideng. Golden Wheel Monk is not focus on the fight for few reasons but seems to have a slight upperhand on Yideng where as Yideng is old and would appear to lose in the innerpower exchange between the two. So at the battle on the towel, GMW was more than ready to face anyone one on one and I don't think the Greats will have an easy time defeating him esp under this time constraint, I might even go as far as to say GWM would even defeat some of the Greats while suffering severe injuries himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    For the sake of discussion, I did assume all the Greats had the opportunity to face Golden Wheel Monk at the burning towel. But I highly doubt they could defeat Golden Wheel Monk in a timely fashion as which this situation demands or else Kwok Seung will be burnt to death.
    That would apply to each of the Greats, however, Yeung Gor and Gwok Jing included. Remember: they were all more or less on par with each other.

The Golden Wheel Monk's own hubris helped to defeat him too. He underestimated Yeung Gor and let his guard down way too soon. He thought he'd beaten Yeung Gor, but didn't count on Yeung Gor catching a second wind and landing a fatal blow on him. The Golden Wheel Monk committed one of the cardinal sins of combat and paid the ultimate price for it.

That would apply to each of the Greats, however, Yeung Gor and Gwok Jing included. Remember: they were all more or less on par with each other.

The Golden Wheel Monk's own hubris helped to defeat him too. He underestimated Yeung Gor and let his guard down way too soon. He thought he'd beaten Yeung Gor, but didn't count on Yeung Gor catching a second wind and landing a fatal blow on him. The Golden Wheel Monk committed one of the cardinal sins of combat and paid the ultimate price for it.
    Actually in the novel, GWM did not receive just one blow that ended the fight. He might of tried to finish off YG but YG caught him with a suprise hit which wasnt the fatal blow, then GWM afterwards came again at YG and YG used the full essense of Melancholic Palms at him and GWM couldn't avoid them and he was defeated. So it wasnt a total suprise since GWM was hit by a warning shot by YG before the rest of the Melancholic Palm stances came at him. So GWM had amble time to be on guard after the first hit.

Read it yourself and notice the warning hit he receive from YG:

Fa Wang was about to be victorious and suddenly he was hit on the shoulder. His chest hurt greatly and he trembled. He was furious and surprised and instantly attacked again.

Yang Guo backed away and retaliated with [In A State Of Disunity], [Irrational Direction], [The Settled Cessation] and another move quickly followed these three attacks which was the [The Meaningless Wanderer]. This stance was a kick, but it was a most elusive attack. Fa Wang could only vaguely see a leg, it was there but it was not. He could not avoid this kick and he suffered a heavy kick at his chest. He coughed up blood and fell. Both armies yelled, the Song yelled with joy and the Mongolians cried with surprise.

So notice, YG backed away after the hit so the exchange that follow isn't a suprise anymore and it was the last move "the elusive kick" that landed the fatal blow on GWM.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 06-09-06 at 04:08 AM.

Fa Wang was about to be victorious and suddenly he was hit on the shoulder. His chest hurt greatly and he trembled. He was furious and surprised and instantly attacked again.
    I think by this point, although Yeung Gor hadn't delivered the fatal blow yet, the Golden Wheel Monk was already screwed. He'd lost the initiative, and although he wasn't dead yet, he'd pretty much lost the capacity to launch a really meaningful counterattack. The element of surprise had already done its job; the Golden Wheel Monk had already lost the fight. The final blow was almost a mere formality.

I think by this point, although Yeung Gor hadn't delivered the fatal blow yet, the Golden Wheel Monk was already screwed. He'd lost the initiative, and although he wasn't dead yet, he'd pretty much lost the capacity to launch a really meaningful counterattack. The element of surprise had already done its job; the Golden Wheel Monk had already lost the fight. The final blow was almost a mere formality.
    From that quote, GWM was hurt by the suprise hit but the fact he "instantly attack again" tells me he hasn't lost the capacity to launch a meaningful attack. So he was hurt but not that severe, only when he was hit with the elusive kick that he spit out blood and was down for good. I still believe the weight of the victory has more to do with the awakening of the Melancholic Palms. But we all have our opinions.

From that quote, GWM was hurt by the suprise hit but the fact he "instantly attack again" tells me he hasn't lost the capacity to launch a meaningful attack.
    No, it just means that he was desperate, but it was essentially all over. I think his fate was etched in stone already because although his strength wasn't completely gone yet, he was more or less like a balloon with a hole in it...all it would take would be a Great's best blow and he was done for.

Half of this thread was merged into the Official Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor Thread as it was headed in that direction rather than the original topic.