Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no reviews for ROCH 2006 here?

Default Why no reviews for ROCH 2006 here?

Just wondering why there are no reviews for ROCH 2006 at the review section? Is it too new?

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

no it's not
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

Coz i know if i do one i'll get bashed up by radical fans...

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

why don;t u juz go to the threrad 4 it?
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Coz i know if i do one i'll get bashed up by radical fans...
    indeediosis

Yes and then 0-0-0 would be told to:
    1) Do a tv adaptation if you think it is so easy to just complain.
    2) Rewrite the novel if you think it is so easy to just complain.

Next we'll be told to apply in writing for approval if we want to make any negative comments of that INCREDIBLY PERFECT ROCH06. We must not complain because it is so perfect.

Indeedidiosis

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    indeediosis
    Last edited by Surferket; 06-11-06 at 07:46 AM.

actually i do agree wit 0-0-0 on this, if someone did write a review, good or bad, someone else is bound to write one back, or start a topic argueing their case. might even get a few emails of complaint.

better not write any, it'll start another war. both ways.

The problem with ROCH06 is that it could easily have been THE classic ROCH version, an overactive HXM notwithstanding. It was beautifully shot with rich colours, had almost great acting, the definitive XLN. What really ruined it and turned it into a piece of souless work was the editing. To the general watchers who had no experience of past ZJZ works and other TVB versions then they'd not notice the flaws.
    But to the more discriminating and demanding viewers, it spelt the doom of the series as a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    actually i do agree wit 0-0-0 on this, if someone did write a review, good or bad, someone else is bound to write one back, or start a topic argueing their case. might even get a few emails of complaint.

better not write any, it'll start another war. both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    The problem with ROCH06 is that it could easily have been THE classic ROCH version, an overactive HXM notwithstanding. It was beautifully shot with rich colours, had almost great acting, the definitive XLN. What really ruined it and turned it into a piece of souless work was the editing. To the general watchers who had no experience of past ZJZ works and other TVB versions then they'd not notice the flaws.
    But to the more discriminating and demanding viewers, it spelt the doom of the series as a classic.
    I agree about the part on the classic ROCH but HXM's overacting and editiing was not the only thing I found dissatisfying about personally. If I could, i would have change a dozen other stuff. Example like some of the other cast, the costumes and having more variety in the scenery shots, the dubbining voices chosen.

These are, to an extend, minor. The important thing to look for is focus and flow which seems very disjointed in this version of ROCH06. TVB, despite their cheap productions and terrible costumes and largely in-door shooting had very good focus and flow.

I would rate ROCH06 as a classic if it was a longer version that results in a more complete telling of the story. But as we all know now, ZJZ had his "I no money enough" excuse for chopping it up.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    I agree about the part on the classic ROCH but HXM's overacting and editiing was not the only thing I found dissatisfying about personally. If I could, i would have change a dozen other stuff. Example like some of the other cast, the costumes and having more variety in the scenery shots, the dubbining voices chosen.
    Last edited by Surferket; 06-12-06 at 12:08 AM.

These are, to an extend, minor. The important thing to look for is focus and flow which seems very disjointed in this version of ROCH06. TVB, despite their cheap productions and terrible costumes and largely in-door shooting had very good focus and flow.

I would rate ROCH06 as a classic if it was a longer version that results in a more complete telling of the story. But as we all know now, ZJZ had his "I no money enough" excuse for chopping it up.
    I like the way you described the TVB production because that's how I feel too. Truthfully, I thought that a story that flows and is focused on the story development is a pre-requisite of any serial. its kind of sad that ROCH 06 didn't do the basics.
    Last edited by strawberry; 06-12-06 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    I like the way you described the TVB production because that's how I feel too. Truthfully, I thought that a story that flows and is focused on the story development is a pre-requisite of any serial. its kind of sad that ROCH 06 didn't do the basics.
    i agree with you and Surferket about the story telling...TVB focus a lot more on the storyline. You could get a better feel of the series and learn to like or hate each characters. with roch '06, you dont get the chance to feel that.

however, for newcomers...they'll enjoy the face pace/high tech/beautiful scenery over a good storyline...

I used to dislike TVB productions for the cheapskate budget and slow moving plot. But after suffering thru ROCH06 I learned to appreciate TVB versions for the superior story-telling abilities of their producers/directors/actors/actresses. They did very well with limited resources and general lack of real martial arts expertise background.

If someone were to write a review on ROCH06 I'd prefer him/her to be a person of discriminating tastes able to tell honestly what's good and what's not good in a fair way.

If someone were to write a review on ROCH06 I'd prefer him/her to be a person of discriminating tastes able to tell honestly what's good and what's not good in a fair way.
    That ROCH review is not going to happen. There's something called

DIE reviewer DIE
    YOU ARE RETARDED
    DID YOU EVEN WATCH THE SERIES?

I'm sure that's the type of feedback that most people would get, regardless of how objective their review may be.
    Unless they write it as:
    Here's a summary
    These were the characters
    Overall ROCH was good

I used to dislike TVB productions for the cheapskate budget and slow moving plot. But after suffering thru ROCH06 I learned to appreciate TVB versions for the superior story-telling abilities of their producers/directors/actors/actresses. They did very well with limited resources and general lack of real martial arts expertise background.

What would you think a critic who knows nothing about wuxia series will say about ROCH '06/83..?

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    What would you think a critic who knows nothing about wuxia series will say about ROCH '06/83..?
    A critic who knows nothing about it will probably be more touched by 83, and find the flow of the series better. However, a marketer would definitely sell ROCH 06.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    A critic who knows nothing about it will probably be more touched by 83, and find the flow of the series better. However, a marketer would definitely sell ROCH 06.
    83 will be easier to understand..but roch '06 will sale more.

ROCH06 will appeal to those who is into MTV and short attention span. But to a serious and professional critic it would be lambasted as a piece of beautiful fluff utterly lacking a soul.

Yea, i agree. The same goes for LOCH. LOCH 83, i find is a classic, and i love that adaptation, however if i was selling, especially to people who know nothing about wuxia, it is definitely the newer flashier one that will sell better.

I think the same goes for movie critics. They know that movies are not up to scratch, but they also realise that for some movies, it will still sell well, even if it's not a well constructed film

Andy Lau's version will always be the best. But ROCH 06 is right next to the very best, Surferket's intolerance of dissenting views nowithstanding. Had they fixed the editing problems, ROCH 06 would be on par with Andy Lau version. I would recommend ZJZ fired ROCH editor and find a better one next time.