Thread: Yeung Gor and his grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum

Default Yeung Gor and his grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum

Yeung Gor is often compared to his villainous father, Yeung Hong, but other than their superficial similarities, they did not really have much in common...either in biographies or personalities and temperaments. Yeung Gor did, however, show some similarities to his grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum, whom he never knew:

1. Both were devoted husbands. Yeung Gor famously waited sixteen years for Little Dragon Girl; it should not be forgotten that his grandfather spent eighteen years (although somewhat stupidly, because he could have found her much sooner via Yau Chui Gei) searching for his wife, Pau Sik Yerk.

2. Both were judgmental hotheads whose tempers often got them into trouble.

3. Both seemed to be men ruled more by their hot passions than their good sense; they were impulsive.

4. Naturally, both were courageous and heroic.

Ironically, Yeung Gor probably knew nothing about who his grandfather was (perhaps not even his name). It was difficult enough for Yeung Gor to get information about his father from the people who'd known him, let alone his grandfather. Did Muk Lim Chi, Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, Yau Chui Gei, Wong Chui 1, or Ohr Jen Ngok ever tell Yeung Gor anything about his grandfather? Did Yeung Gor ever learn of his grandparents' tragic fate?

Although I am a Cantonese too, it is very difficult trying to undertand who are you talking about, like the Ohr Jen Ngok???..(I watched the TVB versions but they are translated into Chinese and my Cantonese is terrible) but anyway, I don't think any of them mentioned Yang Tie Xin to YG.

If GJ, HR did, they would see the good in him, won't they? GJ saw the good in him because he sees good in everybody. I doubt HR did, anyway she knew little about YTX too.. I think YTX's "reputation" is tarnished by YK. Despite the similarities mentioned above, I think people just looked at the superficial similarities. They just go"He looked so alike with his father, he must have his father genes"(well, he has, but they overlooked the fact that he has his grandfather's too.. GJ spared YG's life because of these superficial similarities too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    Although I am a Cantonese too, it is very difficult trying to undertand who are you talking about, like the Ohr Jen Ngok???
    Ohr Jen Ngok is Ke Zhen Er. I asked Ken before.

Anyway if anyone did tell him (which is unlikely), JY didn't say so in RoCH.

How about the great Miss Yang? Did she know that her great-grandfather Yang Kang was a Song traitor? She would have been more disappointed that Yang Guo himself when she heard this.
    ..ext88

It seems odd to me that Yang Guo would not have been told about his Grandfather by his mother who was raised as a daughter by Yang Tiexin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    It seems odd to me that Yang Guo would not have been told about his Grandfather by his mother who was raised as a daughter by Yang Tiexin.
    perhaps, but talking about his grandfather would naturally raise questions about his father, and we know that she refused to talk about him. YG could have found out about his roots during his 16-year wait for XLN, seeing as he travelled far and wide doing his heroic stuff; it's also possible that he found out after reuniting with XLN and wandering around with her -- after all, they did discover the origins of gumu after leaving mt. hua.

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy
    YG could have found out about his roots during his 16-year wait for XLN, seeing as he travelled far and wide doing his heroic stuff; it's also possible that he found out after reuniting with XLN and wandering around with her.
    By the time Yeung Gor reached adulthood, there were only about a half dozen people on Earth who knew anything about Yeung Teet Sum and his life story. Yeung Teet Sum was a nobody in the greater wulin, and only his immediate associates knew anything about him.

Default YG was unlike his father YH, but was he like his grandfather, YTS?

Yeung Gor's personality was quite different from that of his father, Yeung Hong, but would you say that Yeung Gor had more in common with his grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum? Yeung Gor waited sixteen years for Little Dragon Girl, but Yeung Teet Sum similarly searched eighteen years for his wife Pau Sik Yerk. Both also had a short fuse, which I think Yeung Hong lacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yeung Gor is often compared to his villainous father, Yeung Hong, but other than their superficial similarities, they did not really have much in common...either in biographies or personalities and temperaments. Yeung Gor did, however, show some similarities to his grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum, whom he never knew:

1. Both were devoted husbands. Yeung Gor famously waited sixteen years for Little Dragon Girl; it should not be forgotten that his grandfather spent eighteen years (although somewhat stupidly, because he could have found her much sooner via Yau Chui Gei) searching for his wife, Pau Sik Yerk.

2. Both were judgmental hotheads whose tempers often got them into trouble.

3. Both seemed to be men ruled more by their hot passions than their good sense; they were impulsive.

4. Naturally, both were courageous and heroic.

Ironically, Yeung Gor probably knew nothing about who his grandfather was (perhaps not even his name). It was difficult enough for Yeung Gor to get information about his father from the people who'd known him, let alone his grandfather. Did Muk Lim Chi, Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, Yau Chui Gei, Wong Chui 1, or Ohr Jen Ngok ever tell Yeung Gor anything about his grandfather? Did Yeung Gor ever learn of his grandparents' tragic fate?
    Didn't Qiu Chuji knew his grandfather and could have told him about his grand father?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yeung Gor's personality was quite different from that of his father, Yeung Hong, but would you say that Yeung Gor had more in common with his grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum? Yeung Gor waited sixteen years for Little Dragon Girl, but Yeung Teet Sum similarly searched eighteen years for his wife Pau Sik Yerk. Both also had a short fuse, which I think Yeung Hong lacked.
    Yang Guo's personality wasn't really like either. It was nearly fully formed by the time we first encounter him, as a boy taking on Li Mochou to save Cheng Ying and Lu Wushuang. We see the last pieces fall into place with his encounters with Ouyang Feng, Granny Sun and Xiao Longnu, as we see him become deeply attached to people who show him kindness. Before that, we already see him indulge in casual kindness and heroism just because it pleased him (even when he was supposedly in no position to show such). Of course, the final piece, turning his already heroic character traits to a formal level, would come with Guo Jing's talk with him about the nature of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    Didn't Qiu Chuji knew his grandfather and could have told him about his grand father?
    For sure, somebody could and should have told him about his heritage. It would have clarified so much for him.