Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536

Thread: [New Series]新《楚留香》-The New Zhu Liu Xiang:starring Ken Zhu, Hu Jing

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post
    Originally, when I 1st saw the previews, I was dying to get my hands on this series. The scenes look great since it was filmed on location. But, once I start watching, the story reveals that it sucks. I mean it really really sucks. If this is this the my 1st time getting to know CLX character, I would not EVER want to hear about this character again.

Chu Liu Xiang to my understanding is a very smart character. But, in this series he is so confuse and stupid, he needs help from everyone around him to hint to him who the bad people are. He never seems to be able to figure anything out like adding 1+1=2. They lump multiple stories in to one and try to link everything together. Awful. During some scenes, it makes me want to shut if off and smash my TV out of frustration. But that is my opinion.

I still like the charismatic smart CLX in the TBV 1984 series. At least from watching the 84 series multiple times, my TV is still intact.
    200% agree.

If the producer wanna make changes to the character personality and storyline, might as well change the name of the series.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

I don't get the last episode. What was with the woman pretending to be CLX's mother when she wasn't? What was the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Midsummer View Post
    Wow, I just finished watching the series and I read all 35 pages on this thread because I couldn't get enough of the series.

In the beginning of this thread, most people didn't like Ken Zhu. They didn't even want to watch the series because Ken plays the main role. At first I too didn't really want to watch this series based on the video poster and some video clips, but I gave it a chance and wow.. it's worth watching. I think Ken Zhu did a really good job. I turned from who the heck is this so-so guy to wow Ken Zhu is great, talented, handsome, etc. (I read more about him).

This series is worth watching! It's funny, touching, sad, and romantic (aww). Give it a chance!
    Yeah Ken does grow on you. I thought he did a pretty decent job. If you see his pics, he may not look that handsome. But the way he acts and carries himself, you can agree that lot of girls would fall for this guy. His portrayal is very "gentlemen-ish".

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post
    Originally, when I 1st saw the previews, I was dying to get my hands on this series. The scenes look great since it was filmed on location. But, once I start watching, the story reveals that it sucks. I mean it really really sucks. If this is this the my 1st time getting to know CLX character, I would not EVER want to hear about this character again.

Chu Liu Xiang to my understanding is a very smart character. But, in this series he is so confuse and stupid, he needs help from everyone around him to hint to him who the bad people are. He never seems to be able to figure anything out like adding 1+1=2. They lump multiple stories in to one and try to link everything together. Awful. During some scenes, it makes me want to shut if off and smash my TV out of frustration. But that is my opinion.

I still like the charismatic smart CLX in the TBV 1984 series. At least from watching the 84 series multiple times, my TV is still intact.
    I totaly disagree with you. CLX was portrayed as a smart person and he DOES figure out lot of mysteries. I really have no idea what you're talking about. He figures things out ON HIS OWN. Are you sure you're watching CLX 2007?

Anyway, to enjoy this serial you have to forget everything you've seen or read about CLX and just watch it with fresh eyes. Don't expect anything. Don't have high expectations. Once you do that, this serial is actually quite entertaining.

BTW my favorite version is still Adam Cheng's version. I grew up watching that so it'll always be my fave.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 02-09-09 at 07:43 PM.

I am super late! Just finished this series last night and thought i put in my couple of cents.

Was hesitant to watch this series because of the picture posted. I gave it a try anyways because well nothing better to do. I didn't like Ken when he first appeared I was like oh lord, and all the sexy off the shoulder custumes was making me go WOWzers is this a ancient series?? Heh, but like most people grew on me, and I soon told myself He ain't no Michael Mui or Adam cheng, and have to stop compairing them and start to enjoy this series on it's own. To be honest I was pretty hook, yes the first couple of chapters start of really slow, but I enjoy the middle up until the end when stuff just started to get confusing with all the baby switching and all.

I actually like Tian Er and I think that she has a very unique look, and wanted her to end up with the red dot, because it was funny how he saw her naked heh.

I pitty LHX character the most, SFF made me feel for this character with her facial expression, probably the least selfish character here! As much as I like the actors to pair up her and the Red dot, but i didn't see much chemistry between the two characters, even when she finally choose to love him in the end, it was still out of pitty.

The actress for SGY was amazing, I really like watching her! She had the brightest smile and sadest look. But I fot annoyed with all the mistunderstand with CLX.

And of course the most annoying characters ever in the series is Kong Nan Yin and her brother!

Yeah after watching the love story between CLX and SGY.I feel that I just want them to be together until the end.I think the director or the story writer for these version of CLX should cut down the scene of misunderstanding between CLX and SGY.Besides that they should just let CLX and SGY relationship continue until the 3RD part of the story which after the desert event together they go back to China to solve the Water temple problem(What I meant is SGY should appeared alongside with CLX in the 3RD part of the story) then they just get together until the end.But I think the director or the story writer did not put it this way because they want the 2nd part of the story to become like Korean romance drama maybe because the lead for the 2nd part is Korean actress.But in my opinion it is unecessary to make the 2nd part of the story like Korean romance drama although the lead is Korean actress.They can make a changes.I am sure many people will satisfied with the changes.

so are the fight scenes and story/mysteries good? is this version like the adam cheng or michael miu version? i don't mind who portrays him as long as the story line is good. the very least i even watch richie rens version just because i like him generally as a singer. ive seen this at the video story just the cover didn't look interesting so i never bought it, is there any misused of cgi? how many episodes?

i don't mind slow beginning, heck i watched flying fox 2006 and that movie was very slow imho compared to the tvbs version.

Just finished watching the drama and really the highlight point for me was definitely the cinematography, acting and music!! Does anyone have the original soundtrack link? Will be in gratitude forever!

I got lazy and read the last page, and oculdn't for the life of me figure out who "SGY" was, then I went back to the previous pages and almost fainted. Isn't she old enough to be his mother? She's Wuhua's mother!! They must have changed the story a lot, and just used the names! =)

Quote Originally Posted by pinyin753 View Post
    Just want to ask in Adam Cheng's version what role did Liza Wang play???
    I remember her name is "San" and died very early on...but haven't seen her in other versions...is that a made up role too...
    Lisa was Sum Wai San. At the beginning she teamed up with Chu Liuxiang to unravel the mystery of the deaths of several wulin fighters who seemed to have killed each other. During the course of the case, they became an item. Unfortunately, at the end of the first case, she is killed by Wuhua when she tries to expose him as the murderer in order to save Chu.

Later on, he meets up with her younger sister, Sum Wai Lum, played by Mary Hon, and they end up together.

I've recently watched this series on DVD.

Chu Liu Xiang, as a character, did not interest me at all. It's most likely because compared to all the other male actors, he couldn't act.

Loved Wuhua and Yi Dian Hong. The latter is my favourite as he delivers his lines with such a deadpan face even though they're hilarious. And Wuhua's acting is just amazing. He turns from this sage monk into an archvillain who still somehow has a heart, and he's so convincing. Will be keeping an eye on this actor's work.

Out of the female cast, Tian Er is my favourite because she's so lively and funny. She reminds me a bit of Captain Jack Sparrow, just a lot more innocent. I loathed Shi Guan Yin. The actress can't act. She's so over the top and unnatural and her character fluctuates so much. Decide on what you want to be and stick with it! Her scenes with Chu Liu Xiang bored me to death. Sometimes, I feel she has Schizophrenia. She does not have the charisma that's needed for an archvillainess. The actress who played Liu Wu Mei would have made a better Shi Guan Yin because she oozed stylish menace.

I don't like part 1& 3 of this series, I love part 2, that is only reason why I kept re-watching this series, to me they should focus the story on this couple instead of cutting is short

I've finished watching this version of Chu Liu Xiang, and overall I liked it quite a bit more than I expected. Prior to watching this show, I'm only familiar with Chu Liu Xiang from watching the 1984 version with Michael Miu and from reading Xue hai Piao Xiang (血海飄香).

There are quite a few differences between the different versions, and I feel that most of the design choices in this version are fair with the exception of the third part. While the costumes themselves could be better, the fact that there are quite a few Japanese/non-Han influences is appropriate.

Part 1: Xue Hai Piao Xiang
    The characters of Su Rong Rong and Li Hong Xiu are combined with other characters, but as a whole, it's pretty faithful to the original novel. The main problem is that it isn't presented as well as it should be, and the early episodes are a bit dull.

On the flip side, Sun Fei Fei as Li Hong Xiu is actually given a lot to do, and she does a good job with her role. Too bad she's less interesting after she turns lovey-dovey.

Part 2: Dai Sha Mo
    This part bears almost no similarity to the original novel. It's still the best section due to the wonderfully portrayed Shi Guan Yin. She's nothing like the character in the book, but she's multi-faceted and complex - a real stand out amongst the other characters. Chu Ya Hyeon does a great job in making her come to life.

This section relies of the love affair between Shi Guan Yin and Chu Liu Xiang, and I think that the show does so convincingly. Perhaps even overly, as it colors all of Chu Liu Xiang's other relationships. Heck, the female lead role is supposed to be Su Rong Rong, but Shi Guan Yin is way more prominent in both the opening and end credits.

Part 3: Hua Mei Niu
    I liked this section, but the plot for it is a mess. The audience is still supposed to buy Wu Hua as a major antagonist, and I don't think that's really possible any more. Moreover, Chu Liu Xiang himself has little to do with the either the main plot or its resolution. On the other hand, the Water Matron is quite interesting, and she's the main reason this part is worth watching. I don't really have any idea what the writers were thinking of when they decided to have her be behind all those mysteries.

The Chu Liu Xiang + Su Rong Rong couple is sort of cute, but it has nowhere near the depth of the romance in Part 2. And so it's just not as convincing as it should be. Liu Wu Mei and company just feel too ineffectual and detached from Chu Liu Xiang to make proper villains.

All in all, I think that the writing for this show is the weakest element. Faithfulness to the novel doesn't bother me, but Yu Zheng just doesn't seem to be very good at ramping up tension and creating a good story flow. Still, some strong performances from the three main female antagonists and to a lesser extent, the male characters, make it worth watching. Ken Chu is pretty decent as the lead even if I think that he doesn't feel like Chu Liu Xiang at all (why is he smiling with his mouth open all the time?).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I got lazy and read the last page, and oculdn't for the life of me figure out who "SGY" was, then I went back to the previous pages and almost fainted. Isn't she old enough to be his mother? She's Wuhua's mother!! They must have changed the story a lot, and just used the names! =)

Lisa was Sum Wai San. At the beginning she teamed up with Chu Liuxiang to unravel the mystery of the deaths of several wulin fighters who seemed to have killed each other. During the course of the case, they became an item. Unfortunately, at the end of the first case, she is killed by Wuhua when she tries to expose him as the murderer in order to save Chu.

Later on, he meets up with her younger sister, Sum Wai Lum, played by Mary Hon, and they end up together.

I am also very lazy and so I come to this page after page 1.
    1. Which series is this?
    2. Who is "SGY"? Shi Guan Yin and they fell in love?? My goodness how can that be?
    3. In the novels, I thought that CLX married Zhang Jie Jie in the end? Is Sum Wai Lum ZJJ? Anyone can post a picture of Sum Wai Lum to refresh my memory?
    Last edited by wkeej; 08-09-12 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    1. Which series is this?
    This is the 2007 version of Chu Liuxiang starring Ken Chu. It only covers 楚留香傳奇, and the rest of the novels are (mostly) ignored. For the most part, it's an extremely loose adaptation.

2. Who is "SGY"? Shi Guan Yin and they fell in love?? My goodness how can that be?
    That gives you an idea of just how many liberties are taken. The female characters tend to be combined with one another:

Su Rongrong is mixed with Hei Zhenzhu and Princess Pipa. She is the sister of the Qiu Ci king.

Li Hongxiu takes over Nangong Ling's role, and is combined with Qu Wurong. She is Wu Hua's sister and Tianfeng Shisilang's daughter.

Shi Guanyin is Tianfeng Shisilang's adopted daughter, and she is Li Hongxiu and Wu Hua's elder sister. She's also nothing like the book version of Shi Guanyin. I thought that the original version was a terrible character, and this one is a lot better.

The male characters feel much more like the book versions, except that I feel that Chu Liuxiang seems more like Yuan Chengzhi from Sword Stained with Royal Blood than the titular character.

3. In the novels, I thought that CLX married Zhang Jie Jie in the end? Is Sum Wai Lum ZJJ? Anyone can post a picture of Sum Wai Lum to refresh my memory?
    You're probably thinking of one of the other adaptations of Chu Liuxiang. I've just finished reading Da Sha Mo, and I think there are only 3-4 scenes that are in common with this show. It's still pretty fun to watch provided you don't think about the novels too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Midsummer View Post
    Wow, I just finished watching the series and I read all 35 pages on this thread because I couldn't get enough of the series.

In the beginning of this thread, most people didn't like Ken Zhu. They didn't even want to watch the series because Ken plays the main role. At first I too didn't really want to watch this series based on the video poster and some video clips, but I gave it a chance and wow.. it's worth watching. I think Ken Zhu did a really good job. I turned from who the heck is this so-so guy to wow Ken Zhu is great, talented, handsome, etc. (I read more about him).

This series is worth watching! It's funny, touching, sad, and romantic (aww). Give it a chance!
    I was the same way... but when I start watching it I got addicted. I actually like this version, very heart warming, just didn't really clear what happened in the last episode. I thought it had a pretty good looking casts. Got to know Ken Zhu for the first time in this series and he is definitely now on my favorite actors list. Don't know how he is in real life but this series gave me an impression that he would be a down to earth and caring person, a guy who would willing to give a 110% in a relationship.