Thread: When did Gwok Jing stop wearing Mongolian garb and begin to wear Chinese clothing?

Default When did Gwok Jing stop wearing Mongolian garb and begin to wear Chinese clothing?

Jin Yong is not known for going into lengthy descriptions of how his characters were dressed (which is probably one reason why the costumes vary so greatly from adaptation to adaptation), but one thing we know is this: at some point in LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES, Gwok Jing stopped wearing the traditional Mongolian clothing he had worn during his upbringing in Mongolia and began to wear the Chinese style of clothing suitable for young Chinese men at the time.

The question is when did he make the fashion change? In LOCH '82 (TVB), Gwok Jing left Mongolia still wearing the Mongolian garb, but had exchanged it for Chinese-style clothing before even crossing the Great Wall into China proper (i.e. prior to separating from his Gong Nam 6 Freaks teachers and meeting Wong Yung). In one of the best LOCH comics adaptations (Ming Ho Publications, 1999-2001), however, Gwok Jing continued to wear the Mongolian clothing through the suicides of Yeung Teet Sum and Pau Sik Yerk. It wasn't until just before he and Wong Yung met North Beggar Hung 7 Gung for the first time that Gwok Jing finally ditched the Mongolian clothing and began dressing in Chinese clothing.

Did the novel specify at what point he made the switch?

LOL thats a good question....

But something else i'd like to know is: did he always speak chinese? I mean, he was brought up in Mongolia, he would probably be speaking Mongolian most of the time, although this was not specified in the book/tv adaptions (I never read them, but there would not be mongolian i don't think). In the series, even though they were in mongolia, they'd be speaking cantonese XD.

Wouldn't Gwok Jing be like handicapped in his chinese? Even if he was taught and spoke it with his mother and 7 masters, there would be lots of things he couldn't say/express. Even if he were completely fluent....i'm sure he'd have some kind of accent? I dunno....was just thinking of this yesterday as my brother was watching the new mainland ROCH.
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

Well it's the Dragon Ball Z syndrome. where everyone speaks a common language

Ever wondered why the heck aliens who have never even heard of earth can speak fluent japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Jin Yong is not known for going into lengthy descriptions of how his characters were dressed (which is probably one reason why the costumes vary so greatly from adaptation to adaptation), but one thing we know is this: at some point in LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES, Gwok Jing stopped wearing the traditional Mongolian clothing he had worn during his upbringing in Mongolia and began to wear the Chinese style of clothing suitable for young Chinese men at the time.

The question is when did he make the fashion change? In LOCH '82 (TVB), Gwok Jing left Mongolia still wearing the Mongolian garb, but had exchanged it for Chinese-style clothing before even crossing the Great Wall into China proper (i.e. prior to separating from his Gong Nam 6 Freaks teachers and meeting Wong Yung). In one of the best LOCH comics adaptations (Ming Ho Publications, 1999-2001), however, Gwok Jing continued to wear the Mongolian clothing through the suicides of Yeung Teet Sum and Pau Sik Yerk. It wasn't until just before he and Wong Yung met North Beggar Hung 7 Gung for the first time that Gwok Jing finally ditched the Mongolian clothing and began dressing in Chinese clothing.

Did the novel specify at what point he made the switch?
    I think realistically the moment he entered the Central Plains, he wouldve stopped wearing the Mongol attire and change into the common Han clothes to fit in.

Besides the common people back then weren't exactly tolerant. All non-Hans were regarded as barbarians at worst or sinicized inferiors at best. Guo Jing would've been treated as a 2nd class citizen by his fellow Hans if he didn't change into proper clothing.

Besides wearing thick, super-warm Mongol clothing in sweaty, hot Jiangnan climate, is Guo Jing that stupid?!!
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

GJ speaks Chinese just fine apparently and could switch to Mongolian fluidly as demonstrated in the latest chapter of the LOCH translation when he bumped into his anda, Tolui.

Quote Originally Posted by kamii View Post
    LOL thats a good question....

But something else i'd like to know is: did he always speak chinese? I mean, he was brought up in Mongolia, he would probably be speaking Mongolian most of the time, although this was not specified in the book/tv adaptions (I never read them, but there would not be mongolian i don't think). In the series, even though they were in mongolia, they'd be speaking cantonese XD.

Wouldn't Gwok Jing be like handicapped in his chinese? Even if he was taught and spoke it with his mother and 7 masters, there would be lots of things he couldn't say/express. Even if he were completely fluent....i'm sure he'd have some kind of accent? I dunno....was just thinking of this yesterday as my brother was watching the new mainland ROCH.
    it said in the novel that gou jing spoke chinese with his mother since an early age so his accent would probably be Li-an llike his mom's.