Thread: Did the early Mongolia-based chapters of LOCH lack wuxia action?

Default Did the early Mongolia-based chapters of LOCH lack wuxia action?

Critics of LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES have often noted that one of the story's weaknesses is the extended Mongolia prologue that featured great, memorable passages about Gwok Jing's early development (in martial arts and character) as well as descriptions of the early formation of the Mongol Empire...which of course was central to the themes of LOCH. What these critics often complain about is the decided lack of *wuxia* action early in LOCH. The story begins with a few skirmishes between Yau Chui Gei and the Gong Nam 7 Freaks and a little later, the Freaks and Chan Yeun Fung/Mui Chiu Fung. After that, however, there's virtually nothing until Gwok Jing migrates to China and meets Wong Yung. Even then, the wuxia action didn't really kick into gear until North Beggar Hung 7 Gung showed up and by then, LOCH was about 1/3 finished already.

Do you agree that this story, as great as it was, took a while to get going from a purely wuxia point of view?

I personally think that it's because it wasn't non-stop "wuxia action" that LOCH can be so great. It's what differentiates a good story from tired drivel so to speak (fanfics often suffer from this).

In terms of wuxia, the buildup for GJ just makes it more sweeter when he finally achieves greatness in the realm of martial arts.

I would have liked a bit more action, but compared to the DGSD start where I had to put up with Duan Yu before Xiao Feng appeared, that was far worse!

It is perhaps a good thing to consider the word "wuxia", which is made up of "wu" (martial arts) and "xia" (chivalry). JY himself once wrote in the endnotes to one of his novels that there often tends to be more "wu" than "xia" in "wuxia" novels. In this vein, it might be good for the "wuxia" genre in general to have a bit more "xia" and a little less "wu" in the first quarter of LOCH, to set the tone for the rest of the story. For example, the initial "wu"-based bet that Qiu Chuji had with the Jiangnan Seven soon became a highly-commendable "xia" endeavour as the Seven roughed things out in the northern deserts until they found Guo Jing and contributed to his growth in both "wu" and "xia".

My two cents...
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    It is perhaps a good thing to consider the word "wuxia", which is made up of "wu" (martial arts) and "xia" (chivalry). JY himself once wrote in the endnotes to one of his novels that there often tends to be more "wu" than "xia" in "wuxia" novels. In this vein, it might be good for the "wuxia" genre in general to have a bit more "xia" and a little less "wu" in the first quarter of LOCH, to set the tone for the rest of the story. For example, the initial "wu"-based bet that Qiu Chuji had with the Jiangnan Seven soon became a highly-commendable "xia" endeavour as the Seven roughed things out in the northern deserts until they found Guo Jing and contributed to his growth in both "wu" and "xia".

My two cents...
    a real enlightening two cents i must say....

a lill OT here: any idea when is the translation of She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan gonna finish?
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Those first chapters, especially the part about the Mongolians with their great ambition, courage and spirit, are what make LOCH great. It makes you appreciate the "Hero" in Legend of the Eagle Shooting Hero. Then of course as HYS mentioned, the bet between QCJ and Jiangnan 7 Freaks and how the Freaks did their best to keep the promise. If that's not plenty of wuxia, I don't know what wuxia is anymore.

What's not very wuxia is stuff like some crybaby kissing a girl's eyebrows because he misses his gugu.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Those first chapters, especially the part about the Mongolians with their great ambition, courage and spirit, are what make LOCH great. It makes you appreciate the "Hero" in Legend of the Eagle Shooting Hero. Then of course as HYS mentioned, the bet between QCJ and Jiangnan 7 Freaks and how the Freaks did their best to keep the promise. If that's not plenty of wuxia, I don't know what wuxia is anymore.

What's not very wuxia is stuff like some crybaby kissing a girl's eyebrows because he misses his gugu.
    Yeah, I really like the bet between QCJ and the Jiangnan 7 Freaks. It's unique and classic.