View Poll Results: Who is your favourite protagonist from JY novels?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xiao Feng

17 24.64%
  • Guo Jing

10 14.49%
  • Yang Guo

16 23.19%
  • Zhang Wuji

8 11.59%
  • Linghu Chong

13 18.84%
  • Shi Potian

4 5.80%
  • Yuan Chengzhi

0 0%
  • Wei Xiaobao

0 0%
  • Chen Jialuo

0 0%
  • Hu Fei

1 1.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite protagonist from JY novels?

Post Who is your favourite protagonist from JY novels?

Who is your favourite protagonist from JY novels?

Xiao Feng, Guo Jing, Yang Guo, Zhang Wuji, Linghu Chong, Shi Potian, Yuan Chengzhi, Wei Xiaobao, Chen Jialuo, Hu Fei.

Continuing the craze of polls. Due to limited space in the poll, I can't add all. Notable absences are Ah Qing, Xuzhu, Duan Yu, Li Wenxiu and Di Yun. But point them out, if you like them.
    ..ext88

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

wow another poll......
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

I'm suprised to see XF only getting one vote...

Linghu Chong, by far. And I've read every major Jin Yong novel and watched every major novel's TVB adaptation, so I know all the protags.

My next favorite would be Yang Guo

Xiao Feng... meh I can't understand why you guys like him that much. He's a good guy and all but just doesn't have the same coolness as LHC.

Zhang Wu JI... He's a pussy.

Guo Jing... He's kind of retarded, although you can say this of the previous 2 heros I mentioned.
    http://paleng.blog.com
    http://omnilude.sitesled.com
    http://www.the2d.com/content/view/107/54/

Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan.

All I have to say is that Xiao Feng would kill Linghu Chong... in wine drinking as well as fighting.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by tyrantashen
    Xiao Feng... meh I can't understand why you guys like him that much. He's a good guy and all but just doesn't have the same coolness as LHC.

Guo Jing... He's kind of retarded, although you can say this of the previous 2 heros I mentioned.
    Xiao Feng - retarded?
    ..ext88

Linghu Chong, by far. And I've read every major Jin Yong novel and watched every major novel's TVB adaptation, so I know all the protags.

My next favorite would be Yang Guo

IMO XF is much better that LHC ,he is a true hero whereas LHC is more of a reluctant hero. I was really impressed by Hu Jun as XF in the china adaptation of DGSD such that hes definitely No. 1 in my list. As for GJ I dun really like him either ,hes kinda boring and slow and the china adaptation of LOCH makes him looks like a retard

i can relate to yang guo the most. that's why i voted for him.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

lolxxx...yg
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

Xiao Feng could have more "heroism", according to you, like I guess you could say Guo Jing too, than LHC, but that doesn't equal to being the most likeable. But then again, the more heroism part is just your opinion too. IMO, they're both heroes in their own different ways. Also Ling Hu Chong doesn't have as much of an impulse to kill like Xiao Feng does. Xiao Feng could be a killer, it's just his moral code and conscience that's curbing him from going on a total killing rampage on all those Wulin noobs that accuse him of this and that. Even w/ that, he still killed many in that meeting thing where he is trying to get Ah Zhu cured. Oh, remember the story he told Ah Zhu about when he was young and how he 'handled' a doctor? even though the doctor deserved to die, that made young XF a innately vicious killer - you don't go off and kill anybody just because you don't like him/her.

And to mention Ah Zhu;

Xiao Feng and Ah Zhu together create one of the most ridiculous and retarded romances of all of Jin Yong's main characters... by far. I seriously doubt whether Jin Yong actually wrote 100% of this novel or did he pay some college creative writing grad to write the story for him.
    WoW she likes him so she goes to Shaolin to steal Yi Jin Jing (Which Ling Hu Chong actually learns in XAJH) for Xiao Feng even though this really makes no sense and there is no way Xiao Feng would agree to learn it. And then she gets hit by both XF and Fang Zhang and almost dies. Then Xiao Feng would risk his life and defame himself even more by begging that doctor guy to cure her and at the same time killing many wulin noobs w/o even asking why did she steal the YJJ. But then the most literally retarded moment comes when XF confronts Duan Yi's father (Duan Zheng Chuen) thinking it was him who was the "dai to da ge"... The conversation goes something like this:

XF: "I need to ask you a very serious question!"
    DZC: "Ok... what is it"
    XF: "Have you done a very wrongful thing in the past??!?!?!"
    DZC: "sigh... can't say that I haven't"
    XF: "Have you made any child very sad!?!?!?"
    DZC: "sigh... shame on me but I've indeed put pain onto many a child's shoulders"
    XF: "(almost passes out from anger) OK THAT'S IT, MEET ME TONIGHT AT 12AM on the BRIDGE!"
    DZC: "???"

And then what was a shocker to me was that Ah Zhu would not even tell anyone that DZC is her father, leading to her personal finaly by taking some subdued dragons through her heart, killing her. What she didn't realize was that not only doing it this way is extremely irresponsible, because it doesn't resolve anything, but also this action will permanently put tremendous pain in XF for the rest of his life. It's like she committed suicide not only for nothing, but also to hurt her most loved ones.

So, as you can see, maybe the only one who exceeds Xiao Feng's retardedness is non-other than his match: Ah Zhu. Talk about a perfect match! Oh and an advice to Xiao Feng: before you kill someone for a family feud, make sure that someone is actually involved and knows what the hell is going on. Xiao Feng sure can subdue dragons, but he sure can't subdue his retardedness.

LHC on the other hand, didn't do any sorry or retarded things in the course of the novel, other than puppy-loving his Xiao Shi Mei, which is understandable because she is the only female in the right age he grew up with. LHC's devotion to his master and Shi Mei for a solid part of the novel serves to emphasize his loyalty.

Now to the other guy's comments about how Xiao Feng is > LHC in both drinking and fighting. Hmm, let's see, where should we make the comparison at? At the end of the novel? But we can't do that, because XF is sorta not breathing, w/ an arrow in his heart, and is at the bottom of a cliff that in the end of TLBB they just happened to be standing on. So if a dead person can drink and fight better than an alive person, then I am amazed, and you should call the Guiness world records.
    Cuz as far as I know LHC lives a happy life after the end of XAJH, with his internal energy cultivation coming solely from Yi Jin Jing, which is arguably the most profound and powerful inner energy cultivation. And his sword techniques based on none other than DG9J, which is the best sword technique of all Jin Yong novels.

So, even if QuanYin Pu sa ressurrects XF to battle LHC, no one can say for sure who will come on top? Subdued dragons? or the best sword + the best inner energy skills?

And to mention the aspect of drinking, as far as I know, there is nothing explicitly stated in both novels that we can use as evidence to prove who can outdrink whom. They're both avid hardcore drinkers. One can argue either way. Too bad this isn't like Dungeons & Dragons, where they got stats and stuff, like Constitution. Although I'd say XF's got more Con than LHC, Lol.
    http://paleng.blog.com
    http://omnilude.sitesled.com
    http://www.the2d.com/content/view/107/54/

Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan.

WoW she likes him so she goes to Shaolin to steal Yi Jin Jing (Which Ling Hu Chong actually learns in XAJH) for Xiao Feng even though this really makes no sense and there is no way Xiao Feng would agree to learn it.
    Hmm. I don't know about the novel. But from the adaptations I've watched, Ah Zhu stole the JYY not for Xiao Feng. She just stole it as her little revenge towards Shaolin because some shaolin monks guarding the door was being rude and unreasonable toward her and I think insulted her master too. Nothing to do with Xiao Feng.

But then the most literally retarded moment comes when XF confronts Duan Yi's father (Duan Zheng Chuen) thinking it was him who was the "dai to da ge"... The conversation goes something like this:

XF: "I need to ask you a very serious question!"
    DZC: "Ok... what is it"
    XF: "Have you done a very wrongful thing in the past??!?!?!"
    DZC: "sigh... can't say that I haven't"
    XF: "Have you made any child very sad!?!?!?"
    DZC: "sigh... shame on me but I've indeed put pain onto many a child's shoulders"
    XF: "(almost passes out from anger) OK THAT'S IT, MEET ME TONIGHT AT 12AM on the BRIDGE!"
    DZC: "???"

And then what was a shocker to me was that Ah Zhu would not even tell anyone that DZC is her father, leading to her personal finaly by taking some subdued dragons through her heart, killing her. What she didn't realize was that not only doing it this way is extremely irresponsible, because it doesn't resolve anything, but also this action will permanently put tremendous pain in XF for the rest of his life. It's like she committed suicide not only for nothing, but also to hurt her most loved ones.

So, as you can see, maybe the only one who exceeds Xiao Feng's retardedness is non-other than his match: Ah Zhu. Talk about a perfect match! Oh and an advice to Xiao Feng: before you kill someone for a family feud, make sure that someone is actually involved and knows what the hell is going on. Xiao Feng sure can subdue dragons, but he sure can't subdue his retardedness.
    Again, as far as I remember, Xiao Feng did ask DZC one last time for the truth on th bridge and this time, he was very clear about what he's asking. If the person on the bridge was the real DZC, everything would have been cleared. But, unfortunately, the person on the bridge was the equally blur Ah Zhu, who really thought her father was the 'Leader Big Brother', thus the tragedy. I blame this tragedy solely on the stupidity of Ah Zhu.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-06 at 08:03 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Shi Po Tian

Kidd you are right.. Ah Zhu stole YJJ for revenge, she didn't know XF much before then, why would she steal something for someone she barely knew?

I wouldn't blame Ah Zhu solely on her own death, but then how could you put all the blame on Xiao Feng? It's the matter of avenging his father here... He's cool headed enough not to kill DZC on the spot at their first meet, he wanted to ask more about what happened, but Ah Zhu only thought of protecting her father (and XF) and nothing else. Hence, the tragedy struck. According to what AZ said on the bridge, to XF it was very clear that DZC was involved in the massacre. You expect him to have some kind of telepathic ability that allows him to see whether one is definitely involved or have real concrete evidence? Sorry to say XF is a human and has human weaknesses, don't expect him to be that godly, and if he's not, please don't denigrate him as "retarded".. This statement is totally unfounded.

He killed many in the gathering because in case you haven't realised, if they don't die, it will be him who dies, and XF is not that "retarded" to tell them to kill him.

grr. i pressed on the wrong 1.. meant to vote for yang guo..
    盈盈道:“岳先生被逼吞食此药物之后,自是日夜不安,急欲解毒。一日不解,一日难以安心。他知道只有从你身 上打算,才能得到解药。”

令狐冲道:“这个自然。我是你的心肝宝贝,也只有用我,才能向你换到解药。”

我乃逍遥人,自然逍遥去。 - Fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless
    did you vote for guo jing?

In response to the debate over XZ and A Zhu, i am pretty sure JYY was not stolen for XF, but out of revenge against the Shaolin monks.

A Zhu's death was stupid, however it's possible to see why she chose that path. Xiao Feng could be very irrational, especially when it came to the issue of revenge, so she did not have much chance to talk it out with him. On the other hand, had she thought logically about what would happen if she told him, or if she did not, she would not have been stupid enough to get herself killed.

Xiao Feng is NOT retarded. He may be irrational, however he has morality, unlike some other protagonists, and he has always been considered to be one of the 'true' heroes alongside Guo Jing.

[QUOTE=0-0-0]did you vote for guo jing?

waa. i accidentaly pressed on hu fei.. a person tat i have never even heard of! i would rather vote for guo jing.
    盈盈道:“岳先生被逼吞食此药物之后,自是日夜不安,急欲解毒。一日不解,一日难以安心。他知道只有从你身 上打算,才能得到解药。”

令狐冲道:“这个自然。我是你的心肝宝贝,也只有用我,才能向你换到解药。”

我乃逍遥人,自然逍遥去。 - Fearless

Maybe i'll rate the protagonists on the list for fun

1. Guo Jing
    2. Ling Hu Chong
    3. Shi Po Tian
    4. Zhang Wu Ji
    5. Yuan Cheng Zhi
    6. Xiao Feng
    7. Yang Guo
    8. Hu Fei
    9. Chen Jia Luo
    10. Wei Xiao Bao

A Zhu's death was stupid, however it's possible to see why she chose that path. Xiao Feng could be very irrational, especially when it came to the issue of revenge, so she did not have much chance to talk it out with him. On the other hand, had she thought logically about what would happen if she told him, or if she did not, she would not have been stupid enough to get herself killed.
    Xiao Feng is NOT irrational. He had evidence, and DZC had confessed to his crimes. To him, the killer had to be DZC of course. This would be irrational:

DZC: I killed your father, I confess.
    XF: No, I should investigate more into this matter.

Some of you might find this behaviour normal, but would you do the same if you were in his shoes. Somebody killed your dad and confessed to his crimes, but you wanted to investigate more even when there is evidence. Did XF find anything amiss? No. The Madam Ma thing was weird, but that shouldn't be something that made him become "benevolent" and pardon DZC's life. In case you haven't realised, he was kind enough to try only a certain amount of palms on DZC, if DZC survived, everything would be fine. What about Yang Guo then?

Yang Guo didn't have concrete evidence that Yang Kang was killed by GJ and co. He tried killing GJin the dark something XF would never do. He didn't ask GJ whether he killed his parents or not, neither did he ask for the cause of his parents' death to make things clear. XF got both answers.(although those answers are flawed)

Xiao Feng is NOT retarded. He may be irrational, however he has morality, unlike some other protagonists, and he has always been considered to be one of the 'true' heroes alongside Guo Jing.
    He is a true hero, don't know why you added the inverted commas.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    did you vote for guo jing?
    waa. i accidentaly pressed on hu fei.. a person tat i have never even heard of! i would rather vote for guo jing.
    Haha. It's fated. Hu Fei is so far away from Yang Guo and u can still accidentally vote for him. Maybe u should start getting to know Hu Fei better.

Here's a thread to help u know Hu Fei better : Personality of characters as written in the book
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-06 at 08:22 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    Xiao Feng is NOT irrational.
    What about Yang Guo then?
    I find some of XF's actions very irration in DGSD. The questioning of DZC/AZhu was not one of his most irrational moments. I think they occurred in some of the fights between him and the beggar clan, where he killed many INNOCENT people. They were not rational decisions and XF did let his emotions cloud his decision making skills.

I made no comment on Yang Guo... so i see no reason to drag him into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    He is a true hero, don't know why you added the inverted commas.
    yes, he is a true hero. what i meant by the inverted commas was that he was a 'true' hero unlike some heroes in JY's works such as WXB, whom i do not regard as a true hero in any sense, even though theoretically he is the 'hero' in the novel.