View Poll Results: who do you dislike the most?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yuan Chengzhi

2 1.83%
  • Guo Jing

5 4.59%
  • Chen Jialuo

18 16.51%
  • Hu Fei

2 1.83%
  • Xuzhu

1 0.92%
  • Wei Xiaobao

12 11.01%
  • Zhang Wuji

19 17.43%
  • Yang Guo

29 26.61%
  • Duan Yu

12 11.01%
  • ANOTHER PROTAGONIST

9 8.26%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Who is, and why is he, the most hated protagonist by you?

My most hated protagonist would definitely have to be Yang Guo. His endless whining and cry for his Gugu is so annoying.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 07-07-10 at 05:43 AM.

I read all the posts again. Definitely hate-centric, which is appropriate to the topic, and I appreciated everyone's reasons.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I vote for YG. His constant need for his Gu-Gu makes it more a mother-son relationship which in fact I will not mind. He should have married GF/GX to end the Guo-Yang saga. But, to be frank, it is not YG to be blamed but JY the writer.

I checked the poll results and saw only one vote for Xu Zhu - wonder if it's because he's righteous (always tries to do the right thing) without somehow being annoying at the same time. I'd always have thought he'd garner some dislike for the windfalls that keep falling onto his lap.

Oh my! How could someone hate Xu Zhu? He is one of the most kind-hearted guys in JY novels and had the best martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by VetaMega View Post
    Sorry for posting in such an old thread but...

I don't get the ZWJ or YG hate at all....I mean Guo Jing is my most hated charcterter cause he's sooo stupid...who cares about herosim ...the guy's so stupid it's painful. Besides ZWJ is far more heroic in all aspects than GJ....and he's far cooler....YG is just awsome because of the ways he overcomes his situations...I really could care less if he's heroic or not but he helps his other girls all the time with their troubles. He's just an awsome person....plus he has a big *** sword and giant condor...who can compare.
    So what if he's not quite bright. His heroism and selflessness is for the most part unparalleled and the fact that he has achieved so many greats things despite not being the most intelligent is already worthy of praise. And how the hell is Zhang Wuji more heroic? You seem to think Zhang Wuji is more heroic and is a better person merely because he's 'smarter'. Sorry but human intelligence is not the only thing which decides who is a better person as a whole. The way Yang Guo handled his situations resulted in him bringing upon him quite a lot of troubles that he could have avoided and an example is him losing an arm to Guo Fu.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 10-31-10 at 04:46 AM.

cant pick between YG and DY, 2 douchebag of characters

Quote Originally Posted by forgot password View Post
    Oh my! How could someone hate Xu Zhu? He is one of the most kind-hearted guys in JY novels and had the best martial arts.
    Some find him boring. And he is, compared to the other protagonists.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Boring doesn't necessarily equate to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    Boring doesn't necessarily equate to hate.
    Well for a novel character which you have to spend a good amount of time reading, a boring character could easily be a reason for hating the character for wasting your time and spoiling a novel that could be super awesome.

I dislike Linghu Chong the most, out of what I've watched, cuz of his obstinate attachment with Yue Buqun / Yue Lingshan / Mount Hua. But I don't hate him. He was a cool and comical character, and if it wasn't for the above flaws he'd be one of my favourite protagonists.

It gets pretty draggy reading about Linghu Chong constantly pining for Lingshan throughout the whole novel and as a reader I want to smack him for not realizing how awesome YingYing is from the start-- despite his feelings being completely normal and understandable. That and how much he trusts Yue Buqun despite getting screwed over by him so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    I never think that XZ is a boring character. His story is sure not as colorful as XF's, GJ's, LHC's, YG's and ZWJ's, but it way more interesting than those of Yuan Chengzhi, Chen Jialuo, Duan Yu, Shi Potian... The martial arts aspect of the 10+ chapters in which he is the focus alone is more worth reading than all JY's minor novels put together. I also find his futile attempt to remain a Buddhist monk hilarious.

Xuzhu's story might not be as interesting as XF's one but it's far better than DY's one. OMG it's so annoying and frustrating when he's chasing after that Wang Yuyan.

Chen Jia Luo should not have abandoned Huo Qing Tong.
    At least Yuan Cheng Zhi of Bi Xue Jian (the book I hate the most) didn't leave Wen Qing Qing (that was her name, right?)
    欲取鸣琴弹,恨无知音赏。~孟浩然

My vote went to Wai Siu Bo. Just hate rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That was considered the best adaptation of SOD. If you thought that was bad, you ought to see the '84 version...
    SOD84 has Chow Yun Fat as the main lead. What did the SOD96 have for the main lead? By the way, I don't like the storyline of SOD but if you compare the two, SOD84 is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    SOD84 has Chow Yun Fat as the main lead. What did the SOD96 have for the main lead? By the way, I don't like the storyline of SOD but if you compare the two, SOD84 is better.
    Jacky Lui played Ling Wu Chung in SOD '96. Lui might not be an overall better actor than Chow, but just about *anybody* is better than Chow Yun Fat in wuxia drama.

Chow Yun Fat is my favorite actor of all time. I think he is capable of performances that no other actor in Asia (or even around the world) can replicate, but only in films set in *modern* times (e.g. 20th/21st Centuries). With perhaps only one exception (his Li Mubai in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON was OK, but other than that...meh...), Chow Yun Fat's attempts to do wuxia have been embarrassing. It's no accident that in all of Chow's years performing for TVB, the studio only tried him as a wuxia lead twice.

On the other hand, his performance as Shanghai gangster Hui Mun Keung in THE BUND is just legendary, epic stuff. He would have been a Hong Kong acting legend if that were the only role he had ever played.

Isn't he still a Hong Kong acting legend ?

The first HK movie I ever truly appreciated at the age of like 18 was "A Better Tomorrow" starring him and Di Long, so he has a special place in my heart.

Agreed that he is pretty terrible in wuxia, but I think it might be more of a length of a serial versus movie type thing. He really excels in emotion and almost hammy performances which work very well in minute long scenes, but loses it's impact when done many times and spread amongst 20 hours.

I wouldn't give up on him for wuxia movies, but he certainly cannot carry a wuxia series like my man-crushes Michael Miu and Simon Yam.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post

Agreed that he is pretty terrible in wuxia, but I think it might be more of a length of a serial versus movie type thing. He really excels in emotion and almost hammy performances which work very well in minute long scenes, but loses it's impact when done many times and spread amongst 20 hours.
    Chow Yun Fat was beyond masterful as Hui Mun Keung in THE BUND, and that was a 25-episode TVB series.

He was also great in those 1970s soaps he starred in such as HOTEL and THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY (aka THE MAN IN THE NET). Those were 80-100+ episodes in length, and he totally carried those shows.

Chow Yun Fat only sucks at wuxia; any other roles, he can do to perfection.