Thread: Chow Yun Fat

Default Chow Yun Fat

Am I the only one who believes that Chow Yun Fat did his best acting during his TVB days? I thought he was great in TVB's serials during the 1970s and early 1980s, but I've not been impressed with his film career at all.

Agree with you...in fact I feel that almost all actor's best days are with TVB.

Once they leave TVB and go into movie business the characters suck...I haven't seen in a long time any movie i like...almost all of them are bad language and sex-related....not just chow yun fat but also leon lai and andy lau and louis koo.

his movies were alright. he had A Better Tmr series, the Prison one (4got the name), Ah Lang story, God of Gamblers , Once a Thief

His series I liked were Man In The Net, The Shanghai Bund and Beggar So.

his comedies are funny but i think his acting chops/charisma are best shown in the above shows.

His TVB days were his best days for sure! Some of the old series back then he was in were tear jerkers ; ;

Apart from God of Gamblers and CTHD, I didn't pay attention to his other projects/films.

At least he seems pretty humble still, unlike the other TVB turn movie actors/singers they need to be feed some of Chow Yun Fat humble pie.
    Bah.. no image.. ah well... "I gotta shake, shake, shake, shake, shake it off....."

hmm...I could only comment on his series Shanghai Bund and Smiling PRoud Wander. I thought Shanghai was break thru... and other modern series he had.. were just ok.

his movies were either hit or miss. I think liked All about Ah Long, An autumn;s tale, Better Tomorrow, Hardboiled, and the Killer

I can't say his best was in TVb... but i can say his best was still in HONG KONG and not in America
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

The answer is..............NO

Because look at the films he's made:

1) A Better Tomorrow 1,2 & 3
    2) God Of Gamblers 1 & 2
    3) The Killer
    4) Hard Boiled
    5) City On Fire
    6) Prison On Fire 1 & 2
    7) An Autumns Tale
    8) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    9) All About Ah Long
    10) Hong Kong 1941

Some of the most influential and best films in hong kong & asia
    Have you come here to play Jesus?

Default Chow's new Movie

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/battleofredcliff.html

Yesterday John Woo and producer Terrence Chang's Lion Rock Production signed a deal with China Film Group, headed by Han Sanping, over jointly producing historical war drama The Battle of Red Cliff. Asian Union Film and Media has dropped out of the film project and has begun pushing for a TV version of the same subject. The battle occurred in A.D. 208, during the final days of China's Han Dynasty. In the battle fought by over one million soldiers, two warlords, Liu Bei and Sun Quan, set up an alliance and defeated the army led by invading warlord Cao Cao from the north. In Red Cliff, on the southern bank of Long River (Yangtze River), the allied force launched a surprise attack and torched Cao Cao's mighty fleet and camps on the northern bank. The movie is based on classic Chinese novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms." Set construction has already begun in Yi County (Hebei Province), about 120 km southwest of Beijing and about 1000 km north of the real Red Cliff. A local reservoir will be used to double for Long River. Works on costumes, miniatures and special effects have also started since February. Four US-based effect companies have been selected to do the CG shots. For the war epic, Woo will set up six units to shoot different scenes simultaneously. John Woo said the cast only has three members, Chow Yun-Fat, Leung Chiu-Wai and Taiwanese supermodel Lin Chi-Ling. Casting of other role will be finalized once the script is done. Lion Rock covers up to 70% of the film's total budget, which is over US$50 million, and the rest of the cost is shared by several Chinese investors. Production will begin by March next year.

I liked him as Linghu Chong.....

I like him most in those God of Gamblers role. He can carry out funny, serious, evil roles very well.

I love Chow Yun Fat, he's a very talented actor. He can act a different roles in a good way. And he's hot when he was young too. Too bad he and Idy Chan broke up, wish they could be a real couple tho.

Can anyone help me with this quiz: What is the brand of the chocolate that CYF's character loved in the God of Gambler?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by darknight123 View Post
    I love Chow Yun Fat, he's a very talented actor. He can act a different roles in a good way. And he's hot when he was young too. Too bad he and Idy Chan broke up, wish they could be a real couple tho.
    Hi,I agree totally with you and Chow Yun Fat is definitely one of my favourite actors. I really liked him in "The Bund" with Angie Chiew and was so sad when he died in the end. I also liked him in "Mong Chung Yun" - sorry, don't know what the translation is in English. He played a charactor called a Wai and was the son of Tang Bik Wan. He was framed for something and ended up in jail. Anyway, that was a great series and people here in UK loved that series. I have seen him in one movie only and it was with Teresa Mo and he rescued people in a fire in the hospital. Can't remember the title of that film but it was very good.Yes, a pity that he and Idy Chan broke up in the early '80s.Sau Han