View Poll Results: What's your favorite genre to watch?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Action/Adventure

6 10.91%
  • Adaptation (supposedly manga/books)

5 9.09%
  • Animation

2 3.64%
  • Comedy

11 20.00%
  • Kids/Family

0 0%
  • Romance

11 20.00%
  • Remake

0 0%
  • Suspense/Horror/Thriller

3 5.45%
  • Science Fiction/Fantasy

3 5.45%
  • All of above/Can't decide

14 25.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Genre?

Default What's your favourite/least favourite genre of series and why?

I was just thinking the other day that I'm pretty annoyed by the fact that I can't control which series I get to watch. Since I'm too lazy and cheap to actually rent/buy series, I just put up with whatever is shown on TV and most of the shows are so agaisnt my taste. Just curious to see what most people like. Maybe I'm strange, I usually hate most of the "hot series" on the market.

I find that I mostly go for a median b/w the historical/epic shows made by China such as Da Han Wu Di (the one w/ Liu Che done by Chen Bao Guo) which are too heavy on history and use too much ancient language that I get bored of, and the popular/idol slapstick comedies/romancies (such as Taiwanese idol series) that end up blowing up into fluff after repeated themes. However, the only exception to that would be Toastman's Kiss, which I partially enjoyed just because Xun was portrayed to have some interesting philosophical thoughts, which helped tie the series together.

My personal favourites are war-setting 1930s type of dramas with some love, but not as the focus. They usually involve some tragedy and the characters are pretty well-developed and involve some complex history. An example would be Spring Symphony or Song of Bitterness. Modern is okay too, like Goodbye Vancouver, as long as it has a good plot and acting.

I'm just curious--what is the appeal to idol series? I've seen a lot actually thanks to my TV station, i.e. MVP Valentine, Meteor Garden, Magic Ring (w/ Joel Cheng), The Rose, Secret Garden (I and II), Toastman's Kiss, etc etc...and I still scratch my head at the general appeal. Well, one could be looks I suppose, as the actors/actresses are generally above average. But I just find the plots to be highly unrealistic. Take Meteor Garden for example--4 "princes ruling an university"? I used to think that maybe it was the lifestyle in Taiwan, but then I realized that people overseas enjoy it just as much..so anyone care to enlighten me?

I can see where the appeal of Meteor Garden lies... an ordinary girl attracting the attention of 4 rich and gorgeous guys in school. And the richest and best looking of the lot ended up falling in love with her and they go through trials and tribulations, finally achieving happiness. That's a total fairytale that girls all over will love. Why? Because most girls are ordinary, not everybody has a pretty face and a great body to boot, MG make the ordinary girl into a very special person.

As for the other idol series I don't really know where the appeals lies... MG is the only idol drama so far that I can say I truly like (both the Taiwanese and Japanese version). I suppose the actors and actresses are good looking - bah, I don't really find them that good looking. Or perhaps I am abit too old and cynical for this kind of genre.

I can't pinpoint a genre that I really like... I like slice of life series, I like comedies, I like shows revolving around lawyers, I basically like stories that have a good plot and well thought out storyline. I don't have a particular genre I dislike either, hmm...

As for watching stuff on television, nah, the shows that are aired over here are so rubbishy that I don't bother to watch. I either borrow from friends, relatives or buy the series I want to watch, but most of the time, I just download off the net.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I'm just curious--what is the appeal to idol series? I've seen a lot actually thanks to my TV station, i.e. MVP Valentine, Meteor Garden, Magic Ring (w/ Joel Cheng), The Rose, Secret Garden (I and II), Toastman's Kiss, etc etc...and I still scratch my head at the general appeal. Well, one could be looks I suppose, as the actors/actresses are generally above average. But I just find the plots to be highly unrealistic. Take Meteor Garden for example--4 "princes ruling an university"? I used to think that maybe it was the lifestyle in Taiwan, but then I realized that people overseas enjoy it just as much..so anyone care to enlighten me?
    I want to know that too because I despise those series. They have ridiculous plots and way too much sap for me to handle.... it's just sickening to watch. When I first finished Meteor Garden I thought that I might be the one in a million who actually saw the whole thing.... guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    I can see where the appeal of Meteor Garden lies... an ordinary girl attracting the attention of 4 rich and gorgeous guys in school. And the richest and best looking of the lot ended up falling in love with her and they go through trials and tribulations, finally achieving happiness. That's a total fairytale that girls all over will love. Why? Because most girls are ordinary, not everybody has a pretty face and a great body to boot, MG make the ordinary girl into a very special person.

As for the other idol series I don't really know where the appeals lies... MG is the only idol drama so far that I can say I truly like (both the Taiwanese and Japanese version). I suppose the actors and actresses are good looking - bah, I don't really find them that good looking. Or perhaps I am abit too old and cynical for this kind of genre.

I can't pinpoint a genre that I really like... I like slice of life series, I like comedies, I like shows revolving around lawyers, I basically like stories that have a good plot and well thought out storyline. I don't have a particular genre I dislike either, hmm...

As for watching stuff on television, nah, the shows that are aired over here are so rubbishy that I don't bother to watch. I either borrow from friends, relatives or buy the series I want to watch, but most of the time, I just download off the net.
    You mean the Cinderella fantasy? It's worked too many times--especially in Korean series, i.e. the poor, hard-working girl vs. the young 20-year old hot CEO (come on, how many CEOs are in their 20s? )

I agree with you on the slice thing though---that's my deal w/ music as well, but I guess we may have an "inclination" towards a certain type of series. I just find good comedies w/o slapstick rare nowadays =(

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    You mean the Cinderella fantasy? It's worked too many times--especially in Korean series, i.e. the poor, hard-working girl vs. the young 20-year old hot CEO (come on, how many CEOs are in their 20s? )
    Oh yea, the cinderella story, the difference in Meteor Garden being that it is set in a school and the main female character, Tsukushi, totally kick @ss. Not the usual meek, get bullied, cry in one corner type of main character.

I just figured out a genre that I hate hate hate and would never watch... soap operas.

i hated meteor garden too but i thought i hated it just cuz of F4 but i guess i hated da story too lol

Question Your Favorite Genre?

What is your favourite genre you look for when watching TV series? Sometimes I go for movies based on combinations of comedy and romance or mystery and horror.

If I had to choose one out of all, I would choose comedy, nothing beats a day of fun and laughs for me!!!

*I have listed a poll that represents some of the major genre seen in dramas.
    Last edited by j-walker; 07-02-06 at 11:17 AM.
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

Smile

I luv romance den comedy followed by action and lastly horror. So i liked four genre. Butta i voted for romance of course.
    Alec Vicki, Raymond Michelle, Bosco Myolie

*Currently watching*
    Fantasy Hotel
    Life Made Simple
    Gentle Crackdown

I voted for romance, of course. I also like comedy. The least that I like is action. But it really depends on the actor who's in it.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

romance...,it's sotouching
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

No slice of life series, school based series and friendship series?

I don't have a specific favourite, since I usually watch whatever that's good, meaning a well written story and not too much lame acting. I guess I tend to watch more slice of life, school/friendship based and comedies - regardless of whether the show is an anime or drama, I tend to more of less stick to these genres.

I don't think it's appropriate to put in animation as one of the choices. Anime is not a genre like comedy or romance, it is a different medium from dramas in telling stories and has a wide variety of genres and sub-genres within itself.
    Last edited by beansprouts; 07-03-06 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Grammar

comedyy! i also love chick flicks too

i like suspense/horror/thriller mostly any of those 3
    Most Favorite TVB Actress:

Tavia Yeung Yi
    &
    Minh Tuyet Fan Forever!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

im totally for Action/Adventure. Wuxia is a total brilliance!

Sci-fi is also prefered, as long as it is tolerable...Aliens, Star Wars, Predators, Matrix, Stargate are excellent....but some of present sci-fi productions can be very over the top sometimes....
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 07-05-06 at 12:41 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

I'm not sure, I lyke time taveling(dr who, step in to the past) and buffy/angel/MDWAV types!!!

wot do u call those?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam-Freedom
    I'm not sure, I lyke time taveling(dr who, step in to the past) and buffy/angel/MDWAV types!!!

wot do u call those?
    i would class that as fantasy/sci fi

personally, i'm not a big fan of that. i think i prefer action/adventure overall. I like comedy and romance in small doses. I can't stand films that are just completely comedy or romance.

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

I also like Sin City, Spider-man, Fantanstic 4, Super-man they r the best !!!!

Dont kno where, but it sure is pretty. :]

Sad Romance...I know I'm a sap.
    SarangHaeYo Shinhwa!
    Avi featuring the beautiful Han Ga In! Current Obsession.

I voted for sci-fi/fantasy cos I'm tired of romance or comedy or other stuffs hehe
    but i still watch them if they are good series, dramas or movies
    be happy

i'm definitely a animation person. i'm more likely to see all the animation out even if its not good.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.