Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief of Time 《群星會》

Default Thief of Time 《群星會》

English Title – Thief Of Time
    Vietnamese Title – Hội Quần Anh

Cast – Deric Wan, Elaine Ho, Ha Yu, Dicky Cheung, Alex Man, Eddie Kwan, Andy Lau, Idy Chan, Damien Lau, Paul Chu, Adam Cheng, Stephen Chow, Ng Man Dat, Roger Kwok, Aaron Kwok, Noel Leung, Ada Choi, and many others...

This movie was produced in 1992. It was the 25th Anniversary Special for TVB. It has a funny, enjoyable plot and a star studded cast. What more can I ask for? A pity that TVB no longer produces such special movies anymore. First time I watched it, I was both surprised and ecstatic that the producers were able to get so many stars to appear in it. I recently re-watched the dvd and loved every minute of it. Does anyone still remember it? Comments? Opinions?

Summary – Deric Wan, Elaine Ho, & Ha Yu played characters that were accidentally transported back in time. They went through many adventures before they were able to return back to modern day HK. Their first encounter was with a top ranking Mongol general (played by Eddie Kwan) and Genghis Khan (played by Alex Man). It was great to see Alex once again show up as the Conqueror, Temujin. Next the trio were on the run and were saved by none other than the one armed Condor Hero, Yang Guo! Andy still looked so impressive in the role! . Of course, how can Yang Guo be without his precious GuGu? Idy Chan graced the screen with her presence as Xiao Long Nu. Oh the memories! We later get to meet Damien Lau as the mustached ladykiller, Luk Siu Fung, the role that he perfected. The best part is we get to see LSF interact with The Romantic Swordsman, Li Xun Huan (played by Paul Chun). It’s like watching Spiderman and Batman together… an awesome feeling! There is even Adam Cheng as the evil Yip Gu Shing. What fan can witness this and not get all giddy? Next, we are transported to the series, Final Combat. When the King of Comedy, Stephen Chow and his trusted sidekick Ng Man Dat showed up, their scenes were just comical. Adam had another appearance as the hero from The Misadventures of Zoo. There was a brief guest appearance by Roger Kwok as a king. Lastly, when Deric and Elaine managed to get back to modern day HK, they met up with the cast from Revelation of the Last Hero. Yup, Aaron Kwok, Noel Leung, and Ada Choi showed up in their respective roles. It was just so cool!

Yesasia recently released the Cantonese vcd – http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1001813505/

I’ll post screen captures later when I have more time.
    Last edited by triumph2004; 01-20-09 at 05:06 PM.

I remember this. I bought a copy recently but it was not very sharp. May buy the original this time since it is available now. Yay.

chey.... u gave me empty happiness

I got a surprise when i saw the cast...was such a dream cast till possible for TVB today? Then i realized u were talkin abt an old show...

Sorry for giving you false hope, CheungKafai. I revised the post above so it will be more clear when reading that it is an old show .

Oh my gosh I remember this movie too , it was so funny that me and my mom almost laugh to death , and you right the story is pretty good . So many star and so funny I especially love Stephen Chow and Ng Man Dat with their " reading poem and killing himself " part and also Aaron Kwok playing a superstar ( himself ) part , now I still remember the way he put his nose up in the air and act the vain moviestar ( never see this side of him , I'm impress ) just wish it would release in Viet so I can buy this for my mom . We still talk about some of the scene in this movie sometime .

Hi balloon! Good to see someone else enjoyed this movie as much as I did. Yeah, I am also waiting for the official viet dubbed dvd release. However, I don't think it will ever come out . I was lucky enough to recently get a copy on dvd. It is ripped from vhs over to dvd. The picture quality is pretty good considering it's such an old movie. I'm still happy ...

Some screen captures I made from the movie:

Dicky Cheung was so young! And he had hair! Not use to seeing him with normal hair as he is frequently bald nowadays...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9238/capture10ty.jpg')

The trio meeting up with Genghis Khan...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2669/capture29sy.jpg')

A couple more screen captures....

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2836/capture35ug.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8089/capture44dv.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/497/capture50vw.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2161/capture60nz.jpg')

Last batch of screen caps

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7917/capture78cw.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4871/capture80xq.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1622/capture90hn.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7926/capture105ct.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3345/capture118ob.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3307/capture123ye.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6132/capture137rr.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/9295/capture146ci.jpg')

This was one of the most interesting original series TVB ever produced (although naturally, it borrowed its basic inspiration from such time-travel movies as BACK TO THE FUTURE and BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE). It was quite impressive how TVB managed to lure back many of its departed stars of yesteryear to reprise the various legendary roles that made them into household names years earlier, and it was fun to see TVB nod affectionately and humorously at its own history. They should make another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    This was one of the most interesting original series TVB ever produced (although naturally, it borrowed its basic inspiration from such time-travel movies as BACK TO THE FUTURE and BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE). It was quite impressive how TVB managed to lure back many of its departed stars of yesteryear to reprise the various legendary roles that made them into household names years earlier, and it was fun to see TVB nod affectionately and humorously at its own history. They should make another one.
    Actually, it was a telemovie. I recall seeing this movie when I was very young but too bad I don't remember much of it. However, I do remember enjoying it though.

The formula for this movie is far from original, but it is so vastly entertaining. If TVB could make another one featuring series from the Golden 80s, the allure will definitely pull in a large audience. Without a doubt, I will stand in line to purchase the movie. To think... the 80s DGSD, LOCH, HSDS, DOMD, Flying Fox... I know, I'm still in dreamland. TVB is way too cheap nowadays to do such a production.

It was a memorable production... & i remembered an extremely funny part where the gal (?) had to pull her pants down to prove her innoncence to the lecherous Stephen chow (Duan Fei) & Ng Man Tat ...

yeah if only TVB would make another comprising of serials from the early 90s right to today... and imagine reuniting Gallen, Louis koo & Felix wong for cameo appearances!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CheungKafai
    It was a memorable production... & i remembered an extremely funny part where the gal (?) had to pull her pants down to prove her innoncence to the lecherous Stephen chow (Duan Fei) & Ng Man Tat ...
    LOL! Yes, that part was quite funny. Stephan accused Elaine of stealing. To prove her innocence, she undressed, but only the upper half. Ng Man Tat lewdly suggested to see the bottom half as well . She didn't have a chance to pull her pants down. Interrupted by Ha Yu

I think it will be hard to lure back Gallen, Louis & Felix since they are no longer with TVB. What a shame...

It'd be more difficult to pull off now because another fourteen years have passed. In 1992, it was still possible to have actors from the classic 1970s and 1980s series reprise their old roles because they were still young enough. Now, it would be *really* difficult to see the actors in their younger roles.

It'd be more difficult to pull off now because another fourteen years have passed. In 1992, it was still possible to have actors from the classic 1970s and 1980s series reprise their old roles because they were still young enough. Now, it would be *really* difficult to see the actors in their younger roles.
    It's a fruitless wait, but I still want to see Felix once again step into the shoes of Gwok Jing. He could portray an older, more mature version.... perhaps from ROCH. That would be the so awesome . I'm sure it could be arranged as Felix is semi-retired. Not contracted to do any series/movies lately.

Andy and Tony still look good enough to be Kang Xi & WXB. I think a lot of actors from the 80s can pass off for the roles they took on back then. Even taking some series from the early 90s wouldn't be a bad idea either. I know, too much wishful thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365
    It's a fruitless wait, but I still want to see Felix once again step into the shoes of Gwok Jing. He could portray an older, more mature version.... perhaps from ROCH.
    When yet another adaptation of ROCH is inevitably made (not by TVB, necessarily, but by somebody), casting Felix Wong as the older Gwok Jing is a no-brainer. Who better to portray the mature Gwok Jing than the actor whose young Gwok Jing was probably the most famous and most popular depiction of the character ever committed to film or videotape?

When yet another adaptation of ROCH is inevitably made (not by TVB, necessarily, but by somebody), casting Felix Wong as the older Gwok Jing is a no-brainer. Who better to portray the mature Gwok Jing than the actor whose young Gwok Jing was probably the most famous and most popular depiction of the character ever committed to film or videotape?
    I wholeheartedly agree! Since another LOCH is in the works, I'm sure someone will pick up ROCH in a couple years. It remains to be seen if there are producers/casting directors out there with the brains to use Felix. I am sick of remakes, but if I can see Felix in the role that made him famous decades ago, I'll watch it in a heartbeat even if the series is crappy . I'm such a devoted fan

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365
    I wholeheartedly agree! Since another LOCH is in the works, I'm sure someone will pick up ROCH in a couple years. It remains to be seen if there are producers/casting directors out there with the brains to use Felix. I am sick of remakes, but if I can see Felix in the role that made him famous decades ago, I'll watch it in a heartbeat even if the series is crappy . I'm such a devoted fan
    The bittersweet part of it, of course, would be the fact that the late Barbara Yung would not be able to reprise her role as Wong Yung alongside Felix.

The bittersweet part of it, of course, would be the fact that the late Barbara Yung would not be able to reprise her role as Wong Yung alongside Felix.
    That is true. I sometimes still can't believe she is gone

Perhaps they could feature GJ with the 4 Greats. Oh, a battle among them would be so worth seeing! I haven't seen any recent pics of the actors playing the Greats, so I wonder how much they have aged. Either way, old or young, I'll still watch them. Even to see ZBT again is great fun...