Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial DGSD Ranking

Default Unofficial DGSD Ranking

I often regard TSPW, DSDG, LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS as a complete series. And out of the five stories, the ranking of the fighters in DSDG seems to be the most ambigious. And since its also my favourite Wuxia fiction, I have always pondered upon the question; just how do the characters stand against one another? Of course, the only true answer is in Jinyong's head, or perhaps he doesn't have one either but that doesn't signify Wuxia fanatics like us can't share and debate our views on the topic. Thus I propose a thread dedicated to the discussion on the strength of the characters in DGSD. However, just how do we consider who is stronger than another? For example, one person may perhaps be better in one area but inferior in another? So, in order to adopt a meaningful discuss, lets assume all of the fighters are at their peak and is fighting with 100% of their abilities. And the stronger person will be the one that can defeat the other in a 1 to 1 fight. With that said, here is my ranking (I have my reasons but I will save them for the discussion) and I would be glad to hear your opinions. And oh, don't be shy to share with us your list as well.

1. Sweeper Monk

2. Tianshan Tonglao

3. Wu Yazhi

4. Xu Fu

5. Li Quishui

6. Xiao Feng

7. Duan Yu

8. Mu Rongbo

9. Xiao Yuanshan

10. Jiu Mozhi

11. Kurong

12. Duan Zhengming

13. Duan Yanqing

14. Ding Chunqiu

15. You Tanzhi

16. Xuan Ci

17. Mu Rong Fu

18. Su Xinghe

19. The rest of Xuan Abbots
    Last edited by R!chard; 07-10-06 at 07:57 PM.

umm don't you mean DGSD in the title?
    I forsee maybe people disagreeing

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    umm don't you mean DGSD in the title?
    I forsee maybe people disagreeing
    yes, i disagree with some of the rankings. Not sweeper monk though

i believe XZ, XF and DY should be at the same level at the very least.

I agree XZ has much more potential left in him (using only 30% against DCQ and JMZ) but at the present, his skills aren't honed enough to compete with some of the veterans IMO

I revised Duan Yu's ranking because I believe I have ranked him too low as well. I totally disregarded the event when he was down in that well with JMZ.

richard reminds me of this other awesome poster keep up the good work.

How awesome? Sweeper Monk level awesomeness?

And oh I forgot to thank you for pointing out the mistake I made on the title.

Offtopic: Kim Hee Sun/Seon in The Myth = (that emotion with lots more drooling)
    Last edited by R!chard; 07-07-06 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R!chard
    How awesome? Sweeper Monk level awesomeness?

And oh I forgot to thank you for pointing out the mistake I made in the title.
    no problem0s

You mentioned _Peak_ abilities. Therefore you can't use the Xu Zhu from the Shaolin fight as a representative sample of his abilities. Both his and Duan Yu's skills can be consider 'honed' enough by chapter 50. They could pull off a feat which Xiao Feng was not 100% confident of pulling off (charging an army alone).

My List.

1. Sweeper Monk

2. No one close enough

3. Xu Zhu, Duan Yu, Xiao Feng, Tong Lao, Li Qiushui, Murong Bo, Xiao YuanShan, JiuMozhi

4. Another gap.

5. Duan ZhengMing, You TanZhi, Duan YanQing, Xuan Ci, Ding ChunQiu

6. Some of the other Xuan generation monks, Murong Fu

Logically speaking, XZ and DY should be miles ahead of the other level 3 fighters. But its just inconceivable to see them beating up MurongBo or Xiao Feng.
    Logically speaking

My personal list for TLBB ONLY. Here's my top 10
    1. Sweeper Monk (I think nothing needs to be said)
    2. Xuzhu (210 years of internal, anything more? Even if he can only utilize 60-70%, he is still here.)
    3. Wuyazi (Bei Ming. Start Absorbing!)
    4. Tian Shan Tong Lao (8H6Hsomething something DG)
    5. Li Qiu Sui (FULL Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. Her mastery is above JMZ. And she performs a palm blast around 4-5 zhang, and that's why she is above XF.)
    6. Duan Yu (the reason he is ranked 6th is because he still has problems using his 6 Meridian Swords. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes..... )
    7. Xiao Feng. Performs approx 3 zhang palm blasts which is approx actually 9,9 meters. XL28Z. No need to say more do I? Just for some people, I say that he has attack range of 3 zhang because MRF and DCQ each needed to jump out 3 zhang to avoid being blasted.
    8. JMZ- 7/8th of Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. This is just another area that shows that JMZ should be below Li Qui Sui(and in addition, Li Qui Sui has MUCH MORE YEARS of training). I put him above XYS and MRB because in addition to the external 72 arts, he has Tibetan Arts and his famous Flame Blade. More variety to work with.
    9. MRB- Star Shift Stance. Collection of all types of arts.
    10. XYS- He has considerably less arts to work with, but he also has the Khitan warrior spirit like XF does. Some of Shaolin Supreme Arts.
    Last edited by Whsie; 07-07-06 at 10:45 PM.

Mu Rong Fu ranking higher than Ding Chunqiu, You Tanzhi, Duan Yanqing, Duan Zhengming and Xuan Ci? Dude what are you smoking? Those guys would owned MRF who is a jack of all trades and a master of none.

10. Mu Rong Fu

12. Kurong

17. Duan Yanqing
    I take it you didn't consult the novel very carefully.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

haha, easy now PJ. Btw, if it was Richard's list, I would also add in Shenshan monk. And I'm just curious. I'm sure some of you guys read TLBB more carefully then I did. What is Xuanci's LDA maximum range? All I've ever here is that he can do LDA, but I never heard or seen how far. And one more thing, what is the typical Xuan generation range for Xuan Nan or Xuan Du? I just want to see approx how strong the TLBB Xuan generation monks are. I've looked at the 2 XF battles, don't think there was range mentioned..... help?
    Last edited by Whsie; 07-07-06 at 11:07 PM.

Alright, I will try to answer everyone as best as possible.

You mentioned _Peak_ abilities. Therefore you can't use the Xu Zhu from the Shaolin fight as a representative sample of his abilities. Both his and Duan Yu's skills can be consider 'honed' enough by chapter 50. They could pull off a feat which Xiao Feng was not 100% confident of pulling off (charging an army alone).
    Yes they did charge an army but the two situations were rather different. When QF charged against the army, he was opposed by almost every single soldier on the other side while XZ and DY were rather passing through them. Besides, the army QF faced was in formation while the one his brothers went against was dispersed.

whsie
    2. I don't think Xu Zhu can utilize 60-70% of his potential yet by the end of the novel.

3-4. if wyz's legs are not broken, he would be ahead of TSTL but at his peak (internal qi, wise), he is already handicapped and can't even go out to defeat DCQ. Thus the only time we can compare him with the others is when he hasn't broke his legs. I presume, at that time he is only slightly ahead of TSTL but after so many years without learning and polishing his techniques, TSTL at 96 years old will be stronger than him before he was pushed from the cliff by DCQ.

5. interesting deduction there regarding their palm blasts, I will certainly look into it. However, the reason I ranked her so low is because she is leagues away from tstl. She can only tie tl when tl can only use 1 of her legs(imagine how much stronger duan yanqing will be if he is not handicapped). another point is that when she exchanged palms with xz during their first encounter, she seemed to have suffered more damage than xz did. (yes, xz had wyz's qi but that is still rather shameful)

7. QF can single handedly handle MRF, DCQ and YTZ and still comeup on top. SM actually remarked "QF is the best indeed (of course, he never included himself when he made the comparison, did he?)" after QF used xr18z on him. And as everyone has mentioned before, he has that 'warrior spirit' in him that allows him to perform at a level surpassing his abilities when necessary. And it is this spirit that propelled QF to never lose a single battle in his life.

8. Didn't JR only revise that JMZ learnt Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong in version 3? Thus I believe that JMZ is more proficient with his other skills than that (and thus is still so strong in version 1 an 2.)

Its really hard to compare and refute certain points because there aren't enough evidence to do so thus it somewhat really comes down to personal impressions. But I must say, I am really impressed with your knowledge and certain arguements. If I am less stubborn, I may have been convinced on most of them

pj
    MRF is slightly better han DCQ (derived from heir encounter in the inn) and DCQ is stronger than DYQ (derived from the gathering at the go game) thus I ranked MRF higher than DYQ. However I won't argue the point of kurong for the moment because I pulled that one from thin air. I really can't remember what happened during his exchanges with JMZ except I recall I was rather impressed with his abilities. I will get back to you on that
    Last edited by R!chard; 07-08-06 at 06:49 PM.

MRF is slightly better han DCQ (derived from heir encounter in the inn)
    Murong Fu was the loser during their encounter. Murong Fu would have suffered a terrible fate if Ding Chunqiu's disciples were not conveniently present to be the subjects onto which Murong Fu could shift Ding's energy. The novel said that Murong Fu was not strong enough to shift Ding Chunqiu's energy back to Ding (probably due to inferior internal energy).

and DCQ is stronger than DYQ (derived from the gathering at the go game)
    Ding Chunqiu never fought Duan Yanqing. When Duan Yanqing was concentrating on the go game, Ding used some mind tricks to cause Duan Yanqing to approach fire deviation. However that doesn't mean that Ding Chunqiu can defeat Duan Yanqing in actual cobat.

And Duan Yanqing is clearly better than Murong Fu at the end of DGSD. Duan Yanqing was better than or equal to Murong Fu plus his 4 assistants.

However I won't argue the point of kurong for the moment because I pulled that one from thin air. I really can't remember what happened during his exchanges with JMZ except I recall I was rather impressed with his abilities. I will get back to you on that
    Basically, Kurong is better than Duan Yanqing, who is better than Murong Fu.

Alright, I will try to answer everyone as best as possible.

Yes they did charge an army but the two situations were rather different. When QF charged against the army, he was opposed by almost every single soldier on the other side while XZ and DY were rather passing through them. Besides, the army QF faced was in formation while the one his brothers went against was dispersed.

2. I don't think Xu Zhu can utilize 60-70% of his potential yet by the end of the novel.

3-4. if wyz's legs are not broken, he would be ahead of TSTL but at his peak (internal qi, wise), he is already handicapped and can't even go out to defeat DCQ. Thus the only time we can compare him with the others is when he hasn't broke his legs. I presume, at that time he is only slightly ahead of TSTL but after so many years without learning and polishing his techniques, TSTL at 96 years old will be stronger than him before he was pushed from the cliff by DCQ.

5. interesting deduction there regarding their palm blasts, I will certainly look into it. However, the reason I ranked her so low is because she is leagues away from tstl. She can only tie tl when tl can only use 1 of her legs(imagine how much stronger duan yanqing will be if he is not handicapped). another point is that when she exchanged palms with xz during their first encounter, she seemed to have suffered more damage than xz did. (yes, xz had wyz's qi but that is still rather shameful)

7. QF can single handedly handle MRF, DCQ and YTZ and still comeup on top. SM actually remarked "QF is the best indeed (of course, he never included himself when he made the comparison, did he?)" after QF used xr18z on him. And as everyone has mentioned before, he has that 'warrior spirit' in him that allows him to perform at a level surpassing his abilities when necessary. And it is this spirit that propelled QF to never lose a single battle in his life.

8. Didn't JR only revise that JMZ learnt Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong in version 3? Thus I believe that JMZ is more proficient with his other skills than that (and thus is still so strong in version 1 an 2.)

Its really hard to compare and refute certain points because there aren't enough evidence to do so thus it somewhat really comes down to personal impressions. But I must say, I am really impressed with your knowledge and certain arguements. If I am less stubborn, I may have been convinced on most of them

And yes thanks for mentioning Shenshan monk. Its being such a long time and I really need to go back and reread everything a couple of times. There may be afew more people we have missedas well

MRF is slightly better han DCQ (derived from heir encounter in the inn) and DCQ is stronger than DYQ (derived from the gathering at the go game) thus I ranked MRF higher than DYQ. However I won't argue the point of kurong for the moment because I pulled that one from thin air. I really can't remember what happened during his exchanges with JMZ except I recall I was rather impressed with his abilities. I will get back to you on that
    2. 竹的武功内力均在丁春秋之上,本来早可取胜,只是一来临敌经验实在太浅,本身功力发挥不到六七成;二来他心存慈悲,许多取人性命的厉害杀手,往往只施一半便即收回;三来丁春秋周身剧毒,虚竹颇存顾忌,不 敢轻易沾到他身子,却不知自己身具深厚内力,
    I interpret the underlined part as Xu Zhu at most can only utilize 60 or 70%.
    3-4, I'm more leniet on the Xiao Yiao 3 Elders. Generally, I rate them controlling 3 spots in a row. So I don't really care about this one.
    5. During the first encounter, at first she didn't know who Xu Zhu was. She asked him who he is. Xu zhu says that he is from Shaolin. Li Qiu Sui grabbed him for the purpose of testing Xu zhu's martial art level. After the test, Li Qiu Sui felt Xu Zhu's martial art was weak. Saying Shaolin has such a big name, but their arts stink. Xu Zhu says that is because he is a low level monk. And for a while, Li Qiu Sui ignored Xu Zhu thinking that Xu Zhu is worthless. In other words, Li Qui Sui is underestimating Xu Zhu right for the moment. It didn't occur to her that Xu Zhu was something until Xu Zhu grabbed TSTL away and ran away having a 5-6 zhang lead. Li Qui Sui now knew Xu Zhu is stronger, but still thinks she can close the gap. Apparently, Li Qui Sui couldn't. It wouldn't be until Xu Zhu slowed down that Li Qui Sui got somewhere within 4-5 zhang and blasted Xu Zhu off the cliff. That's the 4-5 zhang palm blast. XF's max is 3 zhang in comprision to Li Qui Sui's 4-5 zhang. (remember, 5 zhang is max). And you do realize that the difference in internal for using one more zhang is huge right? In HSDS, Du Generations can blast out somewhere between 1-2 zhang. ZWJ was shown by Laviathian to be able to at least have the potential for a 3 zhang blast. Their internal is tremendously different. And that gives me the impression that the Xiao Yiao elders have consideralby more internal than XF. Even with warrior spirit, that internal difference is just too much.
    A.Um..., not really. Hold on. BTW HANKY PANKY, 转瞬之间,三人翻翻滚滚的已拆了百余招。萧峰连使巧劲,诱使游坦之上当。游坦之经验极浅,几次险些着了道儿,全仗慕容复从旁照料,及时化解,而对萧峰所击出刚猛 无俦的掌力,游坦之却以深厚内功奋力承受。What does that mean(not the meaning)? I got this out of 2nd edition. Does that mean that JY only clarrified that XF's palm is better than GJ's palm by adding that later part where he explains the theory to XZ?
    B. Back to Richard. No, XF in the 2nd edition was having trouble with MRF and YTZ alone(not including DCQ because he is busy fighting XZ). He could only handle the 3 combo for a very limited amount of time. When it was 2 on 1, XF was still losing because of YTZ's massive internal absorbing a lot of the hits and he wasn't having any signs of winning soon. Don't forget that XF would eventually weaken becasue XL18Z takes too much internal and energy. And since XF had no sign of winning any time soon, he would eventually lose due to endurance reasons. That is the 2nd edition. In the 3rd edition after JY made some changes, XF is on par with the YTZ/MRF combo. But I still don't see XF winning against the duel not to mention against the trio of YTZ/MRF/DCQ.
    8. Yes, JY revised JMZ. And what I gave you was the REVISION. I forgot how, but Li Qui sui somehow got somekind of a relationship with the DCQ side or something. But the point is that DCQ got all 8 manuals of Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. For some reason, DCQ wasn't able to learn Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. Therefore, DCQ kept one of the manuals. Later, JMZ would steal the other 7 manuals and learn Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. The reason for fire deviation later would be because JMZ didn't learn that 8th manual. Due to the fact that Li Qui Sui had mastered the full 8 manual in comparision to JMZ's 7/8th Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong AND that Li Qui Sui is in her 90s with much more practice and training. Don't forget, JMZ is in his 40s, so he has approx 10-20 years of practice of Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. But Li Qui Sui? hehe. Assuming she started in her 20s or 30s (which I think is the case), she would have 60 or 70 years of practice and training. Therefore in amount, Li Qui Sui definitely has more.

DYQ and DCQ exchanged palms which resulted in DYQ staggering back if I recall correctly. Or have I remembered that incorrectively?

MRF, while may not be able to return DCQ's strike, can most likely dodge it. My impression was thet fight was at least a draw. Haha, more things to review

And oh this also brings another point. I am not sure if you remember but Duan Zhengming once remarked "DYQ, you may be stronger than me but if we really fight to the death, I think I will come up on top". DYQ replied "I agree. Afterall I am still a cripple." Thus it can be claimed that DZM is better than DYQ and based on their fights, MRF is closer to Jiu Mozhi than DZM is. Thus since MRF > DMZ and DMZ > DYQ, it can be deduced that MRF > DYQ.

DYQ and DCQ exchanged palms which resulted in DYQ staggering back if I recall correctly. Or have I remembered that incorrectively?
    Are you basing this on the novel or on a TV adaption? This scene was only in Mainland's DGSD adaption but not in the novel.

MRF, while may not be able to return DCQ's strike, can most likely dodge it.
    Trust me, Murong Fu is weaker than Ding Chunqiu.

And oh this also brings another point. I am not sure if you remember but Duan Zhengming once remarked "DYQ, you may be stronger than me but if we really fight to the death, I think I will come up on top". DYQ replied "I agree. Afterall I am still a cripple." Thus it can be claimed that DZM is better than DYQ
    Duan Yanqing's mastery of Yiyang Finger is slightly better despite being crippled. Duan Yanqing can be considered a better martial artist than his relative Duan Zhengming. However it is true that Duan Zhengming can probably defeat Duan Yanqing in a real fight.

and based on their fights, MRF is closer to Jiu Mozhi than DZM is.
    FYI, Murong Fu was subdued by Jiumozhi within several stances.

Thus since MRF > DMZ and DMZ > DYQ, it can be deduced that MRF > DYQ.
    Murong Fu was confirmed in the novel to be weaker than Duan Yanqing. This is not debatable. Trust me, Murong Fu is weaker than Duan Yanqing. I am currently on vacation and do no have the novel with me. Another fellow reader, please paste here the text in which Murong Fu was shown to be weaker than Ding Chunqiu and Duan Yanqing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    2. 竹的武功内力均在丁春秋之上,本来早可取胜,只是一来临敌经验实在太浅,本身功力发挥不到六七成;二来他心存慈悲,许多取人性命的厉害杀手,往往只施一半便即收回;三来丁春秋周身剧毒,虚竹颇存顾忌,不 敢轻易沾到他身子,却不知自己身具深厚内力,
    I interpret the underlined part as Xu Zhu at most can only utilize 60 or 70%.
    3-4, I'm more leniet on the Xiao Yiao 3 Elders. Generally, I rate them controlling 3 spots in a row. So I don't really care about this one.
    5. During the first encounter, at first she didn't know who Xu Zhu was. She asked him who he is. Xu zhu says that he is from Shaolin. Li Qiu Sui grabbed him for the purpose of testing Xu zhu's martial art level. After the test, Li Qiu Sui felt Xu Zhu's martial art was weak. Saying Shaolin has such a big name, but their arts stink. Xu Zhu says that is because he is a low level monk. And for a while, Li Qiu Sui ignored Xu Zhu thinking that Xu Zhu is worthless. In other words, Li Qui Sui is underestimating Xu Zhu right for the moment. It didn't occur to her that Xu Zhu was something until Xu Zhu grabbed TSTL away and ran away having a 5-6 zhang lead. Li Qui Sui now knew Xu Zhu is stronger, but still thinks she can close the gap. Apparently, Li Qui Sui couldn't. It wouldn't be until Xu Zhu slowed down that Li Qui Sui got somewhere within 4-5 zhang and blasted Xu Zhu off the cliff. That's the 4-5 zhang palm blast. XF's max is 3 zhang in comprision to Li Qui Sui's 4-5 zhang. (remember, 5 zhang is max). And you do realize that the difference in internal for using one more zhang is huge right? In HSDS, Du Generations can blast out somewhere between 1-2 zhang. ZWJ was shown by Laviathian to be able to at least have the potential for a 3 zhang blast. Their internal is tremendously different. And that gives me the impression that the Xiao Yiao elders have consideralby more internal than XF. Even with warrior spirit, that internal difference is just too much.
    A.Um..., not really. Hold on. BTW HANKY PANKY, 转瞬之间,三人翻翻滚滚的已拆了百余招。萧峰连使巧劲,诱使游坦之上当。游坦之经验极浅,几次险些着了道儿,全仗慕容复从旁照料,及时化解,而对萧峰所击出刚猛 无俦的掌力,游坦之却以深厚内功奋力承受。What does that mean(not the meaning)? I got this out of 2nd edition. Does that mean that JY only clarrified that XF's palm is better than GJ's palm by adding that later part where he explains the theory to XZ?
    B. Back to Richard. No, XF in the 2nd edition was having trouble with MRF and YTZ alone(not including DCQ because he is busy fighting XZ). He could only handle the 3 combo for a very limited amount of time. When it was 2 on 1, XF was still losing because of YTZ's massive internal absorbing a lot of the hits and he wasn't having any signs of winning soon. Don't forget that XF would eventually weaken becasue XL18Z takes too much internal and energy. And since XF had no sign of winning any time soon, he would eventually lose due to endurance reasons. That is the 2nd edition. In the 3rd edition after JY made some changes, XF is on par with the YTZ/MRF combo. But I still don't see XF winning against the duel not to mention against the trio of YTZ/MRF/DCQ.
    8. Yes, JY revised JMZ. And what I gave you was the REVISION. I forgot how, but Li Qui sui somehow got somekind of a relationship with the DCQ side or something. But the point is that DCQ got all 8 manuals of Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. For some reason, DCQ wasn't able to learn Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. Therefore, DCQ kept one of the manuals. Later, JMZ would steal the other 7 manuals and learn Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. The reason for fire deviation later would be because JMZ didn't learn that 8th manual. Due to the fact that Li Qui Sui had mastered the full 8 manual in comparision to JMZ's 7/8th Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong AND that Li Qui Sui is in her 90s with much more practice and training. Don't forget, JMZ is in his 40s, so he has approx 10-20 years of practice of Xiao Wu Xiaong Gong. But Li Qui Sui? hehe. Assuming she started in her 20s or 30s (which I think is the case), she would have 60 or 70 years of practice and training. Therefore in amount, Li Qui Sui definitely has more.
    Argh, I can't read Chinese

5. LQS knocked XZ off of the cliff but she was injured from the exchange herself. Even after tumbling down the mountain, XZ is still unhurt. Thus I assume, XZ won that exchange.

8. Hasn't JMZ only practiced XWXG for 3 years? And even if his XWXG is weaker than LQS's, he still has other techniques to relie on (which imo is better than LQS's XWXG). To me, his encounter with XZ is almost on par in Shaolin (that is after XF absorbed TL's and LQS's internal along with extensive training with TL and in the cave). And if you refer to the above, I believe XZ actually won his palm exchange with LQS.

慕容复在这门功夫上虽然修练多年,究竟限于年岁,未能达到登峰造极之境,遇到丁春秋这等第一流的高手,他自知无法以“斗转星移”之术反拨回去伤害对方,是以连使三次“斗转星移”,受到打击的倒霉家伙,却都是星宿派弟子。

他转是转了,移也移了,不过是转移到了第三者身上。丁春秋暗施“逍遥三笑散”,弹杯送毒,逼射毒酒,每一次都给慕容复轻轻易易的找了替死鬼。
    In general, MRF trully wasn't able to win with his best art. This is when DCQ was trying to use Huo Gong Da Fa or the Dissapating technique on MRF. MRF tell into DCQ's trap and was stuck. He tried to use Star Shift Stance, but since DCQ was stronger, it didn't work. Therefore, his only way to survive was to find some "scapegoats" which were DCQ's disciples.

great....., you should have told me earlier that you couldn't read chinese....