Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Yeung Teet Sum commit suicide?

Default Why did Yeung Teet Sum commit suicide?

I've never really thought about it before, but now that I have, I don't really understand exactly why Yeung Teet Sum decided to commit suicide in LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES. At the moment that he chose to kill himself, he had essentially *won* his struggle against Yeun Nan Hung Lit. Yeung Teet Sum had reunited with his wife, Pau Sik Yerk, and her love was for him alone, not Yeun Nan Hung Lit (and not all of Yeun Nan Hung Lit's wealth, power, and retinue of martial artist flunkies could change that). The only thing Yeung Teet Sum lost was his son, Yeung Hong, who had chosen to throw in with his adoptive father, but Yeung Teet Sum had already accepted that.

It was a completely unexpected decision, and in retrospect, an inexplicable one.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

YTS killed himself because he saw the QZ priest were about to sacrifice their lifes for him and he couldn't let it happen. his wife did not want to leave her husband and was feeling guilty for losing her chastity.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    his wife did not want to leave her husband and was feeling guilty for losing her chastity.
    Do you mean that she did not want to leave Yeung Teet Sum, or Yeun Nan Hung Lit? I thought that especially after Pau Sik Yerk discovered that Yeun Nan was the one who destroyed her home and deceived her for eighteen years, she definitely turned against him and returned to her first husband.

YTS killed himself because he saw the QZ priest were about to sacrifice their lifes for him and he couldn't let it happen. his wife did not want to leave her husband and was feeling guilty for losing her chastity.
    did his wife lose her chastity?

what's lose her chastity mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Do you mean that she did not want to leave Yeung Teet Sum, or Yeun Nan Hung Lit? I thought that especially after Pau Sik Yerk discovered that Yeun Nan was the one who destroyed her home and deceived her for eighteen years, she definitely turned against him and returned to her first husband.

She never found that out.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=chastity
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Bao Xiruo never knew that Wanyan Honglie was the one who ordered the attack on her husband and friends.

Yang Tiexin committed suicide because they were surrounded by a horde of soldiers and Wanyan Honglie's martial artists. Like Kyss said, he did not want to be a burden to the QZ priests (I think at least one of them was badly injured at the time) so he killed himself hoping that his action would stop the attacks. Before his death, Yang Tiexin said that he was already a very happy man because of his reunification with his wife.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Cool

just so, is anyone who asked me the above question a minor(under 18) or child(under 12) cause if you are, this probably won't concern you for a long while. and really something you should ask your parents about.(least i want is being accused of putting ideas in a minor, some people can really be touchy about this.)

in a marriage, your supposed to come to your marriage bed a virgin, and give your 'chastity' to your spouse. if you only have sexual relations with your spouse, you are still chaste through no longer a virgin. but if you have intercourse with somebody else, your 'chastity' is lost. Bao Xiruo remarried another man while her husband was alive and while her marriage vows were still valid. she had relations with Wanyan Honglie, therfore she had broken her marriage vows and lost her 'chastity'.

Bao Xiruo was with Wanyan Honglie for 18 yrs. from well before yang kang was born. in fact yang kang was probably born inside the jin palace.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Bao Xiruo was with Wanyan Honglie for 18 yrs. from well before yang kang was born. in fact yang kang was probably born inside the jin palace.
    It couldn't have been more than a few months. Pau Sik Yerk was pregnant with Yeung Hong, Yeung Teet Sum's biological child, when she first encountered Yeun Nan Hung Lit. That means that by the time she came to live with Prince Yeun Nan at the Jin imperial palace, she was at least several months into her pregnancy.

And there's no "probably" about the location of Yeung Hong's birth; he was definitely born in the palace.

she had relations with Wanyan Honglie, therfore she had broken her marriage vows and lost her 'chastity'.
    to be very straight and direct, you mean "sexual" relationships? is there any evidence in the novel to show this? sorry for being so direct.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    is there any evidence in the novel to show this?
    Yeah there's a bedroom scene in Chapter 8, and there's a paragraph in chapter 9 in which WNHL said that he luckily didn't have to endure any blue ball for that whole 18 years.

What, are you that naive? Bao Xiruo was his wife for 18 years. Seriously, pay attention in sex-ed classes.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

somehow and as usual, i know that candide will candidly COME IN.

I thought BXR never did it with WYHL. She just lived in her little hut all by herself.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I thought BXR never did it with WYHL. She just lived in her little hut all by herself.
    That was my impression as well. I thougth he was content of just having her for himself. He probably had other wifes to do their "chores".
    Last edited by AnhHung; 07-14-06 at 07:06 AM.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Default The Birds & The Bees

Yang Tiexin's suicide in LOCH was a noble act. It brought to an end almost two chapters' worth of increasingly tedious fight scenes.

As for whether Bao Xiruo did it with Wanyan Honglie, if people aren't convinced that 18 years of marriage to a rapacious tyrant isn't enough of a hint, there is textual evidence. In Chapter 11, between the double suicide and Guo Jing running off with Huang Rong, there's a scene where GJ is chatting with his teachers and the Quanzheners; Jin Yong writes: "Although Bao Xiruo had succumbed to Lord Zhao, she had only thought that her dear husband was already dead". "Succumbed" is my translation of "shi shen", which literally means "to lose one's body". The exact same phrase is used by Jin Yong in Chapter 40 to refer to what Yang Kang & Mu Nianci did that made her pregnant, and it's also used elsewhere in the Trilogy as an euphemism for the deed. Given that Jin Yong is *very* shy about sex in LOCH, this is about as close an admission that BXR & WYHL did it as you're going to get.

I think Bao Xiruo sort of represents the Chinese commonfolk and the land of China: alluring but difficult for invaders to conquer fully. The covetous WYHL 'occupied' her for 18 years, but never won her heart.

18 years of marriage without any sexual relations? WYHL would be the one killing himself. Let's not be naive little ones, Bao Xiruo lost it.
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    YTS killed himself because he saw the QZ priest were about to sacrifice their lifes for him and he couldn't let it happen.
    The irony is that if North Beggar Hung 7 Gung had shown up just a little bit earlier in Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's lives, his presence would likely have spared Yeung Teet Sum the need to commit suicide. With Hung 7 Gung present, YTS wouldn't have needed to worry about any of his allies or supporters sacrificing themselves because Hung 7 Gung could easily deal with all of Yeun Nan Hung Lit's flunkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The irony is that if North Beggar Hung 7 Gung had shown up just a little bit earlier in Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's lives, his presence would likely have spared Yeung Teet Sum the need to commit suicide. With Hung 7 Gung present, YTS wouldn't have needed to worry about any of his allies or supporters sacrificing themselves because Hung 7 Gung could easily deal with all of Yeun Nan Hung Lit's flunkies.
    If Guo Jing and the six freaks had arrived a few minutes earlier they could probably have turned the tide themselves without the need for Hong Qigong. The only reason Yang Tiexin's team was losing was because Qiu Chuji was fighting alone, and had to also protect the injured Wang Chuyi and poisoned Ma Yu. My guess is if Ma Yu didn't fall for Pang Lianhu's trick and got poisoned, between the two of them they could probably have won the day.

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    That was my impression as well. I thougth he was content of just having her for himself. He probably had other wifes to do their "chores".
    According to LOCH82, there is a scene WYHL tells BXR that he really loves her. He tells her all of his brothers have many many concubines while he himself only have her and no one else. Yes, she stays in the tiny house but he stays there with her at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Is there really any irony in the situation though? Hong had no connection to this storyline and 99% of wulin problems would have been solved if a Great had stepped in to help; even if they met Hong earlier they weren't really in a position to ask him to help out.

It kind of makes me wonder, as long as you recognize Hong Qigong and had a legitimate sob story, say son of a righteous official and some corrupt governor killed your family, is he automatically obligated to help/avenge you? Same question for all the "righteous" sects in HSDS.
    Last edited by tape; 09-24-17 at 09:56 PM.