Thread: The Deer and the Cauldron

Junior Member O Rei do Frango Assado's Avatar

Default The Deer and the Cauldron

Hey, everybody!
    I'm new here. I'm male, I'm 20 years old and I'm Portuguese.

Now that I have introduced myself, I will get to the point.
    I was reading about Wuxia novels and the one that caught my interest the most was "The Deer and the Cauldron" by Louis Cha. It really looks like a great book. I was planning to order it online, despite the high price. However, after reading a bit around here, I found out that the available translation is an abridgement. I was incredibly disappointed. I hate abridgements!
    Now, even though I would've preferred if the translator kept the original Chinese names, I don't really mind that fact. To me, that's a minor issue. The big issue really is the fact that the book is abridged.

I am now facing a dilemma and I'd like you opinion.
    Do you think the book is worth it, anyway? Should I buy it?
    I hate abridgements, but the book looks really good and I was really looking forward to reading it, but I don't want to spend my time and money with it, only to find out later that a new, unabridged translation is available. The problem is, who knows when such a version will be available? I haven't read about any such plans. Am I going to have to wait 10, 15, 20 years before such a thing happens? I wouldn't like that. But, if I read this abridgement and then another unabridged version would come out, I'd have to buy it. I would feel that obligation. However, that would mean spending more money and reading an extremely long book with me having already read most of its content.

I'm really facing a big dilemma.
    What should I do? Should I wait until an unabridged translation comes out? I'd like your opinions, please.

Thank you.
    Last edited by O Rei do Frango Assado; 07-16-06 at 03:21 PM.
    "Os meus remédios para a constipação são uma bruta foda e umas imperiais." - Fernando das Barbas

try this link where some readers posted a review.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...=deer+cauldron

edit: link has been corrected
    Last edited by patricia n; 07-16-06 at 04:38 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

and... is it just me or is that link not working....
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

sorry...here's the correct link. i copied and pasted the previous link which was incomplete.

here you go. this one definitely works as i just checked it out myself:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...=deer+cauldron

btw, welcome O Rei do Frango Assado.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Hi, I have read the three translated volumes of "The deer and the cauldron" published by Oxford, and I have to say that I enjoyed it very much. I would suggest you buy it. The only thing that I did'nt like was the westernization of the names eg xiao xuen became misty ... The translations done here in spcnet are probably closer to the books.
    Last edited by bundak; 07-16-06 at 08:31 PM.

Junior Member O Rei do Frango Assado's Avatar

Thanks for answering.

I've been thinking about it and I'll probably not buy the books. I know that I'd probably enjoy them very much, but that's the problem right there. Reading a fine book and knowing that's an abridgement and that I'm missing a lot of stuff just makes it all worse. Since I have quite a few books in my shelves waiting to be read, I think it's better to not buy the books and read the books I already have, in the meantime. Those'll keep me busy for a long time and, with some luck, we'll get some news regarding a new, unabridged translation of the book (cross your fingers!). I mean, I'm sure that someone will eventually translate the complete book, right? The only problem is, that we have no clue of when that'll happen. I don't want to wait my whole life for it. If only we had some confirmation that a complete (and good, of course) translation was in the making or, at least, planned, it'd be all good, even if it was planned to come out in a long time.
    Yeah... I think I won't buy the books, for now. As much as this sucks (since I was all hyped up about reading the book), I think it'll be for the best. I want to experience the book in all its glory.

By the way, where can I find the translations here in this website? I tried searching, but it was to no avail.
    "Os meus remédios para a constipação são uma bruta foda e umas imperiais." - Fernando das Barbas

Quote Originally Posted by O Rei do Frango Assado
    By the way, where can I find the translations here in this website? I tried searching, but it was to no avail.
    Try looking under the title of THE DUKE OF MT. DEER (typically abbreviated DOMD). That's a well-known alternate title for THE DEER AND THE CAULDRON.

http://wuxiapedia.com/novels
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I just have to say, your name is awesome Welcome to Spcnet. As for a fan translation, there is none since the novel has already been translated. Candide's site has links to other finished novel translations. I recommend Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword (Gu Long).
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Cool

wuxia has mainly been a asian thing. and only just recently been exposed to the west. JM's translation of DOMD was meant to introduce wuxia to the west and some of the words will be in terms which western readers are used to. hardcore wuxia fans will be disappointed in it but for a begineer, it could be a gateway to wuxia treaures.

jigsta, why do you have the question's old post in your signature, it's not what you would consider a quoteable quote( to quote reader's digest). in fact, it reads like an obituary.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Dont know wether you (O Rei do Frango Assado) have read wuxia before. I got the impression that you only read about them. DOMD is a great book. One of the best JY novels, but it is not a typical wuxia novel. When talking about JY wuxia, people tend to mention Legend of the Condor Hero. Dont know if there are a complete translation on wuxiapedia though. If not, keep hassling the translators.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    jigsta, why do you have the question's old post in your signature, it's not what you would consider a quoteable quote( to quote reader's digest). in fact, it reads like an obituary.
    It's the post he directed at me when he was arguing with me about ROCH adaptions. I find it the most funny thing I've ever read I might change it to the SPT thing soon.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

i'm viet, i dunno chinese, so i read viet translation version. i think it's quite ok, the english translation aren't as good (i'm guessing because of the slight barrier between west/east culture, same thing happen when harry potter get translated to asian language)... if u want some reenforcement on the story, grab some series on movies, DOMD has the 198X version by TVB, another version in 199X, and a 2000 version by taiwan, it's quite ok. just watch all 3.

I've been thinking about it and I'll probably not buy the books.
    Perhaps you could try looking for them at a public or even university library, especially one with an Asian collection. Then you can read the book without having to buy it.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!