Thread: Heroes of the Giant Banner (Gu Long)

Default Heroes of the Giant Banner (Gu Long)

Has anyone read this novel? I just finished it and am surprised that this one reads a bit like a Jin Yong novel. I guess it must be one of GL's earlier works. (I have read the LXF series and Flying Dagger Lee, both of which are distinctly different from JY stuff)

The beginning was great, but I thought the ending was lame. The main character gets trapped underground for the last quarter of the novel and does nothing. He's presumed to be dead. The other main character is also presumed dead, and the female lead is in a comatose state, so the final parts of the novels are carried by secondary characters. Meanwhile the "big secret" was nothing to write home about. Plus, the ending was left open.

The Leng Qing Ping character was really tortured in this novel... I wish GL could have given her ONE break.
    This account is retired.

this is the series that currently out rite?
    Let him be violent,
    Let him be evil,
    For me, it is enough if I
    just breathe in my pure energy."

http://echallengor.blogspot.com

http://ech33.ui2u.com

That novel's ending pisses me off like nothing else. It started out pretty damn well (just like any GL's novel I suppose) but man... I want some of that GL was smoking when he wrote the ending. Only Monty Pythons can come up with something just as outrageous, bit like the ending of 'The Meaning of Life'.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Has anyone read this novel? I just finished it and am surprised that this one reads a bit like a Jin Yong novel. I guess it must be one of GL's earlier works. (I have read the LXF series and Flying Dagger Lee, both of which are distinctly different from JY stuff)

for real...I had the same thought while I was reading it. Usually, I cannot tolerate his novels but I actually finished reading this one not too long ago. It felt closer to JY's style than GL's to me. The ending was left open, as such I didn't get any kind of closure after having finished reading the story. kinda lame ending, I'll admit.
    路漫漫,长伴......

C'mon get ready......the future is now, the past is gone forever.....