Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How can the Greats win from Little Dragon Girl?

yep, though YG is a bit overreactive at times, but I no doubt agree that he is reasonable for his actions.
    The only thing that I don't like about YG is that he calls Gugugu a million times.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    yep, though YG is a bit overreactive at times, but I no doubt agree that he is reasonable for his actions.
    The only thing that I don't like about YG is that he calls Gugugu a million times.
    Well... he did change it to "Long Er" later. So I guess it's not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodstar
    Well... he did change it to "Long Er" later. So I guess it's not that bad.
    The moment YG started calling XLN "Long Er", I was no longer too annoyed with YG anymore. Plus, at that time YG has already gotten strong status in martial arts. His 36 years old self is even better.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

The moment YG started calling XLN "Long Er", I was no longer too annoyed with YG anymore. Plus, at that time YG has already gotten strong status in martial arts. His 36 years old self is even better.
    That "Long-er" word sounds very mature indeed.
    ..ext88

Haha, LYF sure gave XLN a positive image for me

I actually like YG (XF is still always the bestest best ), considering although he is immature at times, he is actually quite a nice person. The Guo family should thank their ancesters 5 million times for knowing the Yang family, and thus YG.
    Still searching for my GuGu

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    But then again, once she stepped forward, her moves were as fast as a bolt of lightning. No one had ever seen anything like it. This allowed her fears to escape from inside of her. (incorrect translation) Fawang suffered from the “Pure Heart of the Jade Maiden Swordplay” the moment it appeared again in front of his eyes; all he thought about was how to protect himself and how to slip away free from injury. Xiao Longnu gained the upper hand because of the way she beat him to the punch.

This may be the case in 2nd edition of ROCH, but in the 3rd edition this has been changed. In the past, Jin Yong stated that Jinlun Fawang was over-awed by Dragon Girl's speed/technique and let her gain the upperhand, failing to overwhelm her with his superior internal power.

In the Third Edition, Dragon Girl defeated Jinlun Guoshi fair and square. Both performed at their best, and Dragon Girl's superior speed and superior technique was able to overcome Guoshi's superior power.

The Greats of course can defeat Dragon Girl, but at this point of the story, they will still have some trouble doing it.
    Hm.... I'm having the 3rd edition right in front of me right now. It is true that at FIRST JLGS was going full strenth with some attack and some defense. After 50-60 stance, JLGS retrieves his gold wheel for defense, NO LONGER DARING to attack with it. After more stances, he also then retrieved his silver wheel, later along with all the other wheels, turning into a defense only no attack situation, being the same how it was for the other 3.
    Later... about 2 lines later. JY said this: IF JLGS had used use 5 wheel's overwhelming power to fight with XLN, XLN WOULDN'T HAVE HELD ON, BUT his heart __(something I can't translate), JLGS didn't compete with his advantage, competed in speed with XLN, turning into more and more disadvantage for JLGS.

Hm.... I'm having the 3rd edition right in front of me right now. It is true that at FIRST JLGS was going full strenth with some attack and some defense. After 50-60 stance, JLGS retrieves his gold wheel for defense, NO LONGER DARING to attack with it. After more stances, he also then retrieved his silver wheel, later along with all the other wheels, turning into a defense only no attack situation, being the same how it was for the other 3.
    Later... about 2 lines later. JY said this: IF JLGS had used use 5 wheel's overwhelming power to fight with XLN, XLN WOULDN'T HAVE HELD ON, BUT his heart __(something I can't translate), JLGS didn't compete with his advantage, competed in speed with XLN, turning into more and more disadvantage for JLGS.
    What did I say about the Golden Wheel Monk and low mental affinity?

I don't think this would have happened to any of the other Greats (except Kau Cheen Yan, who was just as bad as the Golden Wheel Monk in terms of mental affinity) had they fought Little Dragon Girl.

BUT his heart __(something I can't translate),
    Ah, my mother helped me out with the last word.
    That sentence translates to- But his heart is afraid.

So the whole part is- If JLGS had used use 5 wheel's overwhelming power to fight with XLN, XLN WOULDN'T HAVE HELD ON, BUT his heart he is AFRAID, and JLGS didn't compete with his advantage, competed in speed with XLN, turning into more and more disadvantage for JLGS.
    Last edited by Whsie; 08-01-06 at 08:57 PM.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

originally by whise.
    btw, why did kyss say that the speed of JLFW is greater than YG? That doesn't make any sense at all. YG was already able to match JLFW's qinggong when he was 18 before he learned Iron Sword. And when YG got to the same level, shouldn't that have made YG's qinggong far superior to JLFW?
    made a small mistake there. YG and JLFW were equal in speed, through YG was better in agility.

evaluation of greats vs GJ vs JLFW vs XLN vs YG at time of battle at mt zhongnan.
    lightskill(overall speed and agility): yideng .5; HQG & OYF & HYS .6; JLFW & YG .7;ZBT & GJ & QQR .8; XLN .9.
    technique: yideng & QQR & HQG & OYF & HYS & JLFW .7; YG & GJ .8; XLN & ZBT .9.
    power(inner power + external strenght):XLN .5; QQR & HQG & OYF & HYS & GJ & ZBT & YG .7; JLFW .8.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

In the previous editions there was this paragraph in chapter 26:
    [其實小龍女一人而使兩般劍法,出招雖快,威力終究不如与楊過聯手,別說真實武功仍与法王相差甚遠,即令瀟湘 子等人也是強胜于她。只是她一下來出招星馳電閃,各人從所未見,以致心下先行怯了。法王更在這“玉女素心劍 法”下吃過苦頭,一見到這劍法,心中想的便是如何自保、如何脫身。小龍女占到上風,實是仗了先 聲奪人之功。]

excerpt from spcnet reading room ROCH, chapter 26: Actually, Xiao Longnu as one person delivering two types of sword techniques pales in comparison to her alliance with Yang Guo in terms of power, even though her moves were rapid. Not to mention that her real martial arts were a long way behind Fawang's. Even Xiaoxiang Zi and others were stronger than her. But then again, once she stepped forward, her moves were as fast as a bolt of lightning. No one had ever seen anything like it. This allowed her fears to escape from inside of her. Fawang suffered from the “Pure Heart of the Jade Maiden Swordplay” the moment it appeared again in front of his eyes; all he thought about was how to protect himself and how to slip away free from injury. Xiao Longnu gained the upper hand because of the way she beat him to the punch.

This paragraph was removed in the newest edition. This old paragraph was the part that always clipped Xiao Longnu's wings a bit.

It is the Golden Wheel Monk's own damn fault for flustering. Xiao Longnu won psychologically, she got him nervous and scared. (Whisie: that character [怯] you didn't recognize or could not translate means scared; losing one's vigour).
    The legacy of Lin Chaoying is more or less:"If you can't beat them with force, use speed if that fails dazzle them till they make mistakes. And then beat them."
    Last edited by Athena; 08-02-06 at 08:16 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    The legacy of Lin Chaoying is more or less:"If you can't beat them with force, use speed if that fails dazzle them till they make mistakes. And then beat them."
    Generally speaking, that's how women have dealt with men since time immemorial...even outside the realm of martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Generally speaking, that's how women have dealt with men since time immemorial...even outside the realm of martial arts.
    Guilty as charged!
    And all we need of hell.

Athena? could you show me the third edition edited part? You mean that JY removed the part about GWM and the rest were in fact slightly afraid of her hence she won? So now she defeats them because she is stronger than them?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    Athena? could you show me the third edition edited part? You mean that JY removed the part about GWM and the rest were in fact slightly afraid of her hence she won? So now she defeats them because she is stronger than them?
    I hope not. It was bad enough in Ed. 2. To amp Little Dragon Girl even *more* would be beyond odious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    In the previous editions there was this paragraph in chapter 26:
    [其實小龍女一人而使兩般劍法,出招雖快,威力終究不如与楊過聯手,別說真實武功仍与法王相差甚遠,即令瀟湘 子等人也是強胜于她。只是她一下來出招星馳電閃,各人從所未見,以致心下先行怯了。法王更在這“玉女素心劍 法”下吃過苦頭,一見到這劍法,心中想的便是如何自保、如何脫身。小龍女占到上風,實是仗了先 聲奪人之功。]

excerpt from spcnet reading room ROCH, chapter 26: Actually, Xiao Longnu as one person delivering two types of sword techniques pales in comparison to her alliance with Yang Guo in terms of power, even though her moves were rapid. Not to mention that her real martial arts were a long way behind Fawang's. Even Xiaoxiang Zi and others were stronger than her. But then again, once she stepped forward, her moves were as fast as a bolt of lightning. No one had ever seen anything like it. This allowed her fears to escape from inside of her. Fawang suffered from the “Pure Heart of the Jade Maiden Swordplay” the moment it appeared again in front of his eyes; all he thought about was how to protect himself and how to slip away free from injury. Xiao Longnu gained the upper hand because of the way she beat him to the punch.

This paragraph was removed in the newest edition. This old paragraph was the part that always clipped Xiao Longnu's wings a bit.

It is the Golden Wheel Monk's own damn fault for flustering. Xiao Longnu won psychologically, she got him nervous and scared. (Whisie: that character [怯] you didn't recognize or could not translate means scared; losing one's vigour).
    I almost shed a tear hearing how awesome my Gu Gu is.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    The fight is practically the same, but this paragraph was just deleted:

[其實小龍女一人而使兩般劍法,出招雖快,威力終究不如与楊過聯手,別說真實武功仍与法王相差甚 遠,即令瀟湘 子等人也是強胜于她。只是她一下來出招星馳電閃,各人從所未見,以致心下先行怯了。法王更在這 “玉女素心劍 法”下吃過苦頭,一見到這劍法,心中想的便是如何自保、如何脫身。小龍女占到上風,實是仗了先 聲奪人之功。 ]

Excerpt from spcnet reading room ROCH, chapter 26:
    Actually, Xiao Longnu as one person delivering two types of sword techniques pales in comparison to her alliance with Yang Guo in terms of power, even though her moves were rapid. Not to mention that her real martial arts were a long way behind Fawang's. Even Xiaoxiang Zi and others were stronger than her. But then again, once she stepped forward, her moves were as fast as a bolt of lightning. No one had ever seen anything like it. Fear struck into the hearts of her adversaries. Fawang suffered from the “Pure Heart of the Jade Maiden Swordplay” the moment it appeared again in front of his eyes; all he thought about was how to protect himself and how to slip away free from injury. Xiao Longnu gained the upper hand because of the way she beat him to the punch.

Xiao Longnu did use TRUE martial arts to best her opponents. You could say that Xiao Longnu put the theories of Huashan Sword Faction into practice and reached the level what Sword Faction experts want to obtain.

To Yeung Gor: With all due respect, it's nice that you worship Yang Guo. Everyone to his own. I like him a lot too. But this role-playing of yours kind of creeps me out. If it is just harmless joking, it has reached a point that is no longer funny. But if there is more to it, I think you should consider professional help.
    And all we need of hell.

I'm going to be pedantic and suggest that some of this excerpt needs revising. My suggestion in bold.

其實小龍女一人而使兩般劍法,出招雖快,威力終究不如与楊過聯手,別說真實武功仍与法王相差甚遠,即令瀟湘 子等人也是強胜于她。只是她一下來出招星馳電閃,各人從所未見,以致心下先行怯了。法王更在這“玉女素心劍 法”下吃過苦頭,一見到這劍法,心中想的便是如何自保、如何脫身。小龍女占到上風,實是仗了先 聲奪人之功。

Actually, Xiao Longnu as one person delivering two types of sword techniques pales in comparison to her alliance with Yang Guo in terms of power, even though her moves were rapid. Not to mention that her real martial arts were a long way behind Fawang's. Even Xiaoxiang Zi and others were stronger than her. But then again, once she stepped forward, her moves were as fast as a bolt of lightning. No one had ever seen anything like it. Fear struck into the hearts of her adversaries. Fawang had suffered under the “Pure Heart of the Jade Maiden Swordplay” in the past; the moment it appeared again in front of his eyes, all he thought about was how to protect himself and how to slip away free from injury. Xiao Longnu gained the upper hand because of the way she beat him to the punch.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CFT
    Actually, Xiao Longnu as one person delivering two types of sword techniques pales in comparison to her alliance with Yang Guo in terms of power, even though her moves were rapid. Not to mention that her real martial arts were a long way behind Fawang's. Even Xiaoxiang Zi and others were stronger than her. But then again, once she stepped forward, her moves were as fast as a bolt of lightning. No one had ever seen anything like it. Fear struck into the hearts of her adversaries. Fawang had suffered under the “Pure Heart of the Jade Maiden Swordplay” in the past; the moment it appeared again in front of his eyes, all he thought about was how to protect himself and how to slip away free from injury. Xiao Longnu gained the upper hand because of the way she beat him to the punch.
    XLN's main advantage was she was twice as fast in her movements since she was executing two moves at ones. even with five wheels, JLFW could only send out one at a time, through he could do it really fast and following each one. even through her strenght was below his, her speed was the same before L/r technique. her stances was even more 'prefectly' executed then when she fought alongside yang guo, even through the strenght was only half. she was able to beat GSZ whos yinyang saber was equal to JLFW's five wheels. so in true martial arts, she was superior to JLFW at that time. true martial arts should means, the technique, power and speed combined. like the statement LTH made in sentimental swordsman, ruthless sword,(explaining why he wouldn't compete in inner power with a friend) real martial arts should flow to the suitution. only animals pit brute strenght against each other.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

but if JLFW had used pure power, JY SPECIFICALLY said that XLN WOULDN'T be able to handle it and lose. Well, this is at least specifically mentioned in the 3rd edition, not sure about 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    only animals pit brute strenght against each other.
    I don't believe that. I believe that someone with intelligence would use whatever advantage they have to win. If you're far stronger such that your opponent cannot withstand your blows, then you use that to your advantage. Only a fool (whether out of pride or something else) would not use this kind of edge deliberately. Even GWM didn't do that on purpose.