Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Da Ren Wu (celebrity) Translation By Gu Long

It's not quite the same monks, as you can see below.

This is another long installation.

fastclock - Wuxia Stories

Chapter 22 – Seemingly Real, Seemingly Imaginary

One

This gambling establishment was brilliantly illuminated, each gambling table was fully crammed. This was the gambling establishment’s liveliest time. Every gambling establishment in the world was like this.

But when Tian SiSi saw this situation, she was ten times more startled than when she saw this room full of monks just a moment ago.
    She was stunned for a very long time before she turned around.

Qin Ge stood behind her with open mouth, big staring eyes, and the face expression of someone who had just been kicked in he stomach.

Tian SiSi licked her dry lips and said, “What do you see?”

Qin Ge said, “One ......crowded gambling establishment.”

Tian SiSi said, “You really see that?”

Qin Ge show a forced smile and said, “Who knows whether it is real or not? Maybe only the ghost knows.”

Tian SiSi wanted to speak further when she saw a person walked to them with a grin.
    The person who put on a very elegant air carried a snuffbox. His stature was big, with heavy beard, when you saw how he walk, his wugong was not weak.

Tian SiSi did not wait for him to arrive, she first greeted him and said, “How long has this gambling establishment opened?”

This person seemed to regard her question as strange, after looking at her several times he said with a smile, “This gambling establishment was opened for business maybe since you were still a child.”

Tian SiSi felt alarm in her heart and said with trepidation, “Ever since this gambling establishment was open for business, you have been here?”

This person said with a smile, “I welcomed the first visitor of this gambling establishment.”

Tian SiSi said, “You were here all the time?”

This person, “Except when I slept.”

Tian SiSi said, “This afternoon?”

This person, “I had planned on having a nap in the afternoon, but there were several friends coming today, so I was with them today.”

Tian SiSi clenched both of her fists and suddenly turned around, “You ......You ......Did you hear him?”

Qin Ge’s complexion had also turned white, saying sternly, “You better say the truth!”

This person’s complexion changed color and said, “Why wouldn’t I say the truth?”

Tian SiSi said, “Actually who are you?”

This person, “I am surnamed Jin (gold) ......”

Tian SiSi said, “Surnamed Jin? How are you related to the golden beard?”

This person traced his beard and said with a smile, “I am precisely the golden beard.”

Tian SiSi really could not bear this and screamed, “You are not the golden beard, no!”

This person appeared startled and said, “Who am I if I am not the golden beard?”

Tian SiSi said, “No matter who you are, you are not the golden beard!”

By this time, there were some people who had circled them.
    Tian SiSi had not looked clearly who they were, she only saw grinning faces, ugly smiles, and strange feelings.

This person was also smiling and said suddenly, “How does the girl know that I am not the golden beard?”

Tian SiSi said, “Because I recognize the golden beard, he does not have any beard at all.”

This person suddenly laughed loudly and pointed at her, “This girl said that the golden beard does not have any beard. “

All the people surrounding them laughed loudly, as if they had just heard some good jokes.
    “How can the golden beard not have any beard?”
    “If he does not have any beard, how can he be called the golden beard?”
    The laughter was coarse and grating.

Tian SiSi were so anxious that she felt she was going insane with rage very soon. Exhausting her whole body strength, she called out loudly, “Not only the golden beard does not have any beard, but he has also become a monk.”

When she said this, everybody laughed aloud, laughed so hard that they had to bend their waists to gasp for breath. If the golden beard had become a monk, probably everybody had also become a monk.

“If this girl has not mistakenly identify a person, maybe she must have suffered a heat-stroke that caused her head to be dizzy!”

Tian SiSi jumped and said, “I am not confused nor have I made a mistake, I saw that with my own eyes.”

That person with a beard said with a smile, “What did you see?”

Tian SiSi said, “I saw the golden beard became a monk.”

Someone said, “Why did he want to become a monk?”

Tian SiSi said, “Because someone compelled him.”

The person with a beard said, “Who was compelling him?”

Tian SiSi said, “......A monk.”

The laughter grew louder and louder, this grating sound caused her headache to grow too. The strange matters that she encountered today seemed to be a bunch of lies too, that she could no longer distinguish clearly.

Suddenly someone said, “You were saying a monk?”

This voice was slow and calm. It was loud but not yelled, even among the boisterous laughters everyone could hear his words clearly, like he was speaking directly to their ears. Even a simple person could see that this person surely had strong internal cultivation.

The people surrounding them immediately dispersed very quickly as if they had prior agreement. Then they could see that the speaker was unexpectedly also a monk.

Two

This monk was withered, diminutive, emaciated, looking like he had just recovered from a major illness, he was almost shorter than other people by a head.
    But whoever saw him would not have shown even the slightest contempt of him.

This was not because his eyes were particularly sharp, nor because of two dignified, calm middle-aged monks standing behind him. Also not because these monks were wearing very magnificent and expensive robes, or that the string of rosary in his hand was dazzling with golden light.

Not for any particular reason, whoever had seen him would give him respect.
    Tian SiSi was not an exception.
    Although she had not met this monk, nor did she know who this monk was, but she felt that he must surely be an eminent enlightened monk.
    An eminent monk was like a famour writer, you paid attention to him wherever you were.

What was strange was that nobody saw them a moment ago, this room did not have any monk before. Nobody saw where they had come from.

Tian SiSi blinked and said, “You were asking me a moment ago?”

The senior monk nodded and said, “Female benefactor has mentioned about a monk a moment ago?”

Tian SiSi said, “Yes.”

The senior monk said, “What type of monk was that?”

Tian SiSi hesitatingly said, “That monk had a round face, maybe with a dimple.”

The senior monk said, “He was old?”

Tian SiSi said, “Not very old, but he looked very important.”

The senior monk said, “A taoist priest was also with him?”

Tian SiSi said, “Not only a taoist priest, but also a scholar.”

The senior monk said, “Where are they now?”

Tian SiSi said, “I have not seen the scholar and the taoist priest, but that monk ......”
    She gave a long sigh and then said, “That monk has died!”

That senior monk did not show any change in his expression, but suddenly “crack”, the chair he was sitting unexpectedly disintegrated!
    This senior monk actually still showed the same sitting posture without moving.
    Everyone gulped secretly, no one dared to laugh.

After a very long time, this senior monk slowly said, “Where did he die?”

Tian SiSi pointed toward the leafed door behind her.
    As quickly as her finger pointed it out, the two middle-aged monks behind the senior monk had rushed across quickly. With a whooshing sound, the clothes of many people were blown away, some hats actually flew away.

Tian SiSi stole a secret look at Qin Ge.
    Qin Ge’s complexion was also very serious, the red silk handkerchief seemed to be drenched in sweat.

That two middle-aged monks walked in from the door while carrying that monk's corpse.
    Although they tried to stay calm, but their faces were filled with anger.

The senior monk only took a look once, dangled his head, put both palms together, and chanted a low voice of prayer. When the eyes opened again, Tian SiSi suddenly felt as if they flashed outward with piercing glances.

The senior monk suddenly arrived in front of her, and said, “What is the female benefactor’s name?”

Tian SiSi gently coughed twice and said, “I am surnamed Tian, called Tian SiSi.”

The senior monk calmly looked over her before shifting his vision at Qin Ge and said, “This benefactor?”

Qin Ge said, “The lowly one is Qin Ge.”

The senior monk said, “Qin for dynasty? Ge for that generous sorrowful song?”

Qin Ge said, “Precisely.”

The senior monk nodded gently, suddenly his blue veins sticked out on his sickly face.
    But his voice was very calm as he said, “Good, good wugong, fine skills, you really live up to your reputation.”

Tian SiSi could not bear calling out, “He did not kill this monk, you must not make that mistake.”

The senior monk said, “If he did not commit murder, would it be you?”

Tian SiSi said, “How could it be me, when I went in, he had already died.”

The senior monk said, “Going in where?”

Tian SiSi said, “Inside that room.”

The senior monk said, “At that time benefactor Qin was already in room?”

Tian SiSi said, “When I went in, he was not there. He went in later.”

That bearded man suddenly said, “That is my private room, there is no other way of entry, how did Hero Qin went inside since none of us knew?”

Tian SiSi said, “He did not go in from here.”

The senior monk said, “This benefactor just said a moment ago that the room had no other entrance.”

Tian SiSi said, “He ......He was underground.”
    She felt that people would not believe this answer, therefore she immediately explained, “This afternoon when we came, this monk had not died, but while speaking with us, he suddenly fell into a tunnel below.”

The senior monk said, “Then?”

Tian SiSi said, “Later Qin Ge had fallen as well. There was no one else in this room, all the monks had left, therefore I went in to find them, only to find that this monk had died inside. But when I went to get back outside, this door had been locked from outside.”

She spoke in one breath quickly, only to find these other people were staring with big eyes at her.
    Everyone seemed to be unable to smile.

Only that senior monk did not show any mirth and said with a lower voice, “Miss came here this afternoon?”

Tian SiSi said, “At that time it was just about noon, maybe one and a half hour ago.”

The senior monk said, “There were people in this room?”

Tian SiSi said, “Right.”

The senior monk said, “These people?”

Tian SiSi said, “No. It was a houseful of monks, including the golden beard.”

That bearded man could not bear to smile and interrupted, “I am never a monk, everybody here can attest to that.”

The senior monk said, “Can anyone provide the proof for Miss? That houseful of monks?”

Tian SiSi said, “All ......All had left.”

The senior monk said, “Gone where?”

Tian SiSi said, “I do not know.”

The senior monk said, “After they left, was there anyone here?”

Tian SiSi said, “No, no one!”
    Before saying this, she found that some people were smiling secretly.
    After saying this, some people was smiling and laughing.

The senior monk’s vision flashed, looking around he said, “Where were you all this afternoon?”

Several dozens of people cried together, “Here!”

The senior monk said, “When did you come?”

Some people said, “In the afternoon.”
    Also someone said, “Yesterday evening.”

The senior monk said, “Did anyone leave?”

Everybody said, “No one, absolutely no one did.”
    When the gamblers were betting happily, even if you were using the whip to chase him away, you still would not be able to get him to leave.

Tian SiSi was so mad she felt she would go crazy, she screamed, “They are talking nonsense! There was no one here this afternoon— these persons were not here.”

The senior monk looked at her coldly and said, “There are 70-80 benefactors here, and they are all talking nonsense, only you have not talked nonsense.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why do I want to talk nonsense?”

The senior monk said, “Do you know the monk who is dead?”

Tian SiSi said, “I do not know.”

The senior monk’s eyes were filled with grief and indignation and said, “His religious name is Wu Ming (nameless), he is my younger brother.”

That bearded man suddenly blurted out, “Is it possible that he is the hero monk, meddlesome monk, Shao Lin’s Master Wu Ming?”

The senior monk nodded, “Since he is a monk, why also be a hero? Since nameless, why also be meddlesome? If he does not enter hell, who will enter it?”

The heavily bearded man changed countenance and said, “Then, master you ......”

The senior monk said, “I am Master Wu Se, from Shao Lin.”

When he said his name, suddenly nobody spoke or smiled.
    Any people in jiang-hu knew the names of Shaolin Temple’s two protectors.

Tian SiSi was getting very angry, was flying into rage just now. But at present, she could not help but stay quiet.

Because she suddenly felt an ice-cold chill in the air, as if she was engulfed in freezing water which were turning into ice.

Whether this place was a gambling establishment or a temple was fine. Whether that person was the golden beard or not was also fine. It was not a big problem.
    But if someone had killed a Shaolin Temple's disciple, had killed the famous hero monk in jiang-hu, that was a totally different proposition.

At that moment, Tian SiSi suddenly realized that this strange matter was a carefully well-laid evil plot. This plot was not only fearful, it could yield really awful conclusion.
    She was thrust into this obviously awful plot with Qin Ge, it would not be easy to extract themselves out of this mess.
    She now truly understood how fearful it was to be treated unjustly by other people.

Everyone was all starting at her, their glances were completely different from a moment ago.
    A moment ago, everyone was treating her as a girl who acted and lied like a madman, that was humorous. But presently, they were looking at her like she was a dead person.

“Why did I want to lie?”

“You must certainly have lied, because you could not admit guilt to the killing of Master Wu Ming.”

Tian SiSi said in a trembling voice, “I have no hatred or enmity with you all. Why do you keep accusing me?”

The heavily bearded man cast a cold sidelong glance at her, slowly receeding from her. Other people also went backward, as if she were the plague, they could not afford to be stained by her.

Tian SiSi rushed forward and seized a person’s front clothes and said, “I know that you are an honest and good person, why don't you tell them, that you were simply not here this afternoon, that no one was here at that time!”

All of her life she had never asked anything from anyone, but in this moment she had entreated earnestly.

Although this person’s face had turned white, he actually stuck to what he said and coldly said, “If I were not here this afternoon, how could I have lost 500 taels?”

Tian SiSi’s eyes became clearly red, she could not resist slapping his face.
    This person traced his face, but did not show anger or retaliation.
    Nobody could retaliate against a dead person.

That senior monk might have become enlivened at that time, but instead he closed his eyes and chanted the prayer for Master Wu Ming.
    He certainly did not need to worry.
    These two persons could not escape anywhere.

Tian SiSi ran to him and said loudly, “Fine, let me ask you one thing then, if I have no enmity with him, I do not even know his name, why should I kill him?”

Master Wu Se was silent for a very long time and said slowly, “It is said that he had entered Shan Liu (mountain flow).”

Shan Liu?

Tian SiSi said, “If he had entered Shan Liu, therefore I must have killed him?”

Master Wu Se sighed, “People who wanted to kill him are not just you, as soon as one enters Shan Liu, that is no different than giving up himself into hell.”

Tian SiSi jumped and said loudly, “There goes your imagination, I do not even know what Shan Lu is all about.“

Master Wu Se sank his face and said, “In front of old monk, nobody dares to be so impolite.”

Tian SiSi said, “It is you who is unreasonable, not me. If I had wanted to kill him, I still would not have had the capability.“

Qin Ge had just stood there like a statue, but at this moment he heaved a heavy sigh and suddenly said, “It is useless.”

Tian SiSi said, “What is useless?”

Qin Ge said, “Whatever you say is useless.”

Tian SiSi said, “But I ......”

Qin Ge said, “Although you do not have the capability to kill him, I have.”

Tian SiSi said, “But you have not killed him.”

Qin Ge said, “Besides you, who can prove that I have not killed him?”

Tian SiSi was stunned.

Qin Ge laughed wildly suddenly and said, “I have about 500 knife cuts big and small, why should I care about this additional stab in the back.”

Master Wu Se lowered his voice, “The old monk has long heard that benefactor Qin is a dauntless man ......”

Qin Ge laughed, “Right, the real man should show why he is a real man, if you insist that I must have killed him, why not act as if I had killed him.”

Master Wu Se said, “Good, such being the case, I am asking the benefactor to return to Shao Lin with me.”

Qin Ge said, “If we are going, let us go, to Shaolin Temple no matter how difficult and dangerous is the situation, I am surnamed Qin will also go with you.”

Tian SiSi held back his sleeves and said, “You ......Why should you return to Shaolin Temple with him?”

Qin Ge smiled, “To do what they want.”

Tian SiSi clenched her teeth and said, “They want your life.”

Qin Ge said, “They can pluck my life.”

Tian SiSi said, “You should not give up your life so easily, why should you yield to the person in this unclear manner?”

That dignified middle age monk suddenly injected, “Miss must not forget, revenge for a murdered person is not only a natural justice, it is also the law of the land.”

Tian SiSi said, “Have you forgotten that you are a Buddhist, how can you keep on proclaiming anger and revenge, in Buddhism a person should not take someone’s life recklessly, haven’t your master taught you this?”

The middle-aged monk coldly said, “Miss, you have formidable tongue.”

Tian SiSi said, “This strange monk's eyes are too flawed, they cannot distinguish clearly between the good person and dishonest people.”

The middle-aged monk lowered his face and said sternly, “Although the Buddhist's tongue is flawed, but ......”

Master Wu Se roared suddenly, “Stop talking! You have led a pious life of many years, how can you still enter into a useless argument?”

The middle-aged monk put together his palms, bowed and said, “The disciple admits guilt.”

By now, everyone had drawn two conclusions.
    Shaolin Temple’s discipline was really stern, but it would not tolerate anybody committing crime against them.
    Qin Ge was really a dauntless man.
    But how would this matter be concluded? Nobody knew.

Master Wu Se lowered his voice, “Because the old monk does not want to take life recklessly like in the buddhist commandment, therefore this time I must bring back benefactor Qin.”

Tian SiSi said, “What will you do after bringing him back?”

Master Wu Se said, “To present him to the legal official trial.”

Tian SiSi said, “He is not a Shao Lin’s disciple, how can you punish him by legal official trial?”

Master Wu Se said, “The disciple is murdered, this authorizes the use of the legal official trial.”

Tian SiSi said, “Who saw him murder your Shaolin Temple monk?”

Master Wu Se said, “The fact is very clear, why should we need a personal witness.”

Tian SiSi coldly said, “What is called the clear fact? Did someone see him murder the meddlesome monk, who could prove that he was the instigator?”

Master Wu Se said, “Only both of you have the time and the opportunity.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Master Wu Se said, “At that time only both of you were with him.”

Tian SiSi said, “Where were you at that time?”

Master Wu Se said, “I was on the way.”

Tian SiSi said, “Since you were on the way, how would you know what happened here? How did you know that no one else had gone in into that room?”

Master Wu Se’s face showed anger and said, “How can Miss quibble about this?”

Tian SiSi coldly said, “It is the senior monk who quibbles, not me.”

Master Wu Se scolded, “You have a very sharp tongue, little woman. My arguments are not as good, but I can still conquer the evil.”

He seemed to have forgotten the words he said to his apprentice a moment ago.
    That middle-aged monk casts down his eyes, not even daring to look toward him.

Tian SiSi sneered, “So only the senior monk can act rashly and become angry, the lesser monk cannot ......”

Master Wu Se said sternly, “Stop talking! If some people dare again to be unreasonable, do not blame the old monk if he becomes heartless.”

Tian SiSi said, “You want to resort to violence? Good!”
    She turned around to pat Qin Ge’s shoulder and said, “He wants to resort to violence, you have heard him?”

Qin Ge said, “Yes.”

Tian SiSi said, “Are you afraid?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “I can only fight originally, I cannot debate.”

Tian SiSi clapped and said with a smile, “This is right, a dauntless man would rather have his head broken rather than being treated unjustly, otherwise he cannot be called a dauntless man, he can only be called the bean curd.”

Qin Ge said, “I am listening to you.”

Qin Ge had not finished the words before he attacked. He hit the face of that middle-aged monk on the left. He attacked very quickly, but that middle-aged monk was actually not a weak one, he lowered his body like sitting on a horse, raised his left hand to block and then swung an upper-cut with his right fist.

Shaolin Temple became the world-famous place for the fist styles, this style was precisely the essence of Shao Lin’s “fu-hou-luo-han-quan (crouching tiger Luo Han fists)”.

Who knew that Qin Ge would not evade or dodge this fist and met this tough fist head-on.
    “Thud”, that middle-aged monk's fist had hit his stomach.
    People watching this called out in alarm, as they were in dismay that such a bright powerful person like Qin Ge could be hit so easily by that person.
    Although some people called out in alarm, the person under the attack never made any noise.
    When that middle-aged monk hit with his fists on his stomach, it was as if he had hit a big stone, he was just stunned ......

Master Wu Se yelled, “Careful.”
    Even before that yell this middle-aged monk's fist was already covered by Qin Ge.
    Then, Qin Ge’s fist had also landed on his stomach.

This middle-aged monk did not suffer this as well as Qin Ge, he staggered backward, both of his hands covered his stomach, sweat beads as large as soybeans flowed down his face as he could no longer stand up straight.

Tian SiSi relaxed at last and said with a smile, “What did you use that time?”

Qin Ge said, “This is called letting oneself be attacked.”

Tian SiSi said, “Letting oneself be attacked is also a skill?”

Qin Ge said, “You may not understand this, but you should not learn how to hit a person first, instead you should learn how to be attacked, that way I can suffer not only the fist attacks but also the knife stabs.”

He indeed had been stabbed, no one could deny that.
    He had endured 472 knive stabs at least.

Tian SiSi said with a smile, “Right, you hit him with a fist, he has also hit you with a fist, both sides did not get any advantage, but it is only a pity that he did not come up as well as you under the attack.”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “You have finally understood this truth.”

Master Wu Se with a pale face had walked slowly forward, he sneered, “Good, the old monk wants to see how much you can suffer.”

Qin Ge replied, “You also want to try?”

Master Wu Se said, “Please!”

Qin Ge said, “Good!”

His fist went into attack immediately, with the same style as in a moment ago.
    Master Wu Se lowered his body as if sitting on a horse, the left hand went up to block, the right hand made the counter-attack.
    This move was entirely alike to the one used by the middle-aged monk a moment ago.

But when the expert showed his hand, the quality of the goods looked entirely different.
    Although Master Wu Se's stature and fist were all much smaller than the middle-aged monk, but this heavenly feet movement and strong embodiment, was strong enough to blast even a big chunk of wood into a pulp.

Who knew that unexpectedly Qin Ge decided not to be attacked this time.
    He leapt up high over the head of Master Wu Se gently and swiftly, and pointed a couple of finger like a sword at the accupoint of Master Wu Se’s head “the protrusion of the occipital bone accupoint”.
    Not only this move was steep and superb, the way he attacked was also very quick and quite different from the style he used a moment ago.

Master Wu Se gave a low exclamation, “Good!”
    As he exclaimed, he laid back his body and with a “ding dong” sound, the iron rosary had swung into Qin Ge.

Immediately Qin Ge’s legs kicked backward and his body suddenly slid sideways three feet, and using a person’s shoulder had flown again into the sky.

Who knew that Master Wu Se's iron rosary had also followed him, swirling menacingly like the wind of a golden sabre.

Even if Qin Ge could fly quickly, he would still be slower than the wind of the flying iron rosary. Even if he could really suffer the stings of this iron rosary on his body – wherever it hit him on the body would not feel any good.

Tian SiSi had called out in alarm, but who knew that at this moment, suddenly “crack” the roof had opened up a big hole. A hand had extended from the hole and grabbed suddenly that string of rosary.

Master Wu Se shouted angrily, “Who is it?”

Someone on the roof said with a smile, “A person who must knock on the monk’s head, in particular a meddlesome monk.”

Tian SiSi called out loudly, “Do not let him leave, perhaps he is the killer of Master Wu Ming.”

She really did not need to call out, because immediately Master Wu Se shed his robe and soared with “a solitary crane to the heaven” move, with hands extended like pulling up the onions, he had flown like a crane to the big hole on the roof.

In that same instant, several cold stars flew in from the roof, “ding! dang! dong!” A succession of menacing sounds ensued and all the lights in the room had been extinguished.

In the darkness the crowd grew loud and confused.

Tian SiSi luckily had already estimated where Qin Ge would land, she ran over immediately and said in a low voice, “Where are you?”

A hand extended and gripped her hand.

Tian SiSi said, “We should not wait for them to settle this muddled accusation, let us leave.”

Qin Ge said, “If we leave now, wouldn’t it be like admitting to the murder?”

Tian SiSi said, “If you do not leave, others will still accuse you of murder.”

Qin Ge sighed and said, “Fine, let us go.”

The door was open.
    Outside the door the stars lighted up the sky.

Tian SiSi pulled Qin Ge to run, suddenly someone ahead of them blocked the entrance, his hand held a sharp sabre, this heavily bearded face shouted out, “These two people wanted to escape, block them quickly!”

While shouting, his sabre moved toward Qin Ge.
    Qin Ge sneered and quickly ran to him, welcoming the swinging sabre.

If anything, he did not fear the sabre.
    No matter how quick was the sabre.

Instead that person was completely flustered, the sabre had not chopped down, this sabre in his hand had been deprived of by Qin Ge.

END OF CHAPTER 22

Thanks fastclock.

This is getting weirder and weirder! Can't wait till the mystery is solved.

What a confounding mystery! If the gambling visitors never left the establishment and if there are two Golden Beards, then perhaps there may be two identical casinos connected by the leafed door room? Maybe the room can rotate, kinda like how an elevator opens to different rooms. That can explain how the leafed door could not be opened if the entrance was rotated to face a wall.

There may be an even more simplistic solution than my crazy idea. Would sure love to find out more clues or answers to the mystery.

Chapter 23 - Masters

One

Immediately only the sabre’s flash was seen.
    The bright sabre flashed forward toward that heavily bearded man’s face.

The heavily bearded man could only feel that his face was cool, as afraid as he was he could not help putting out his hand to trace his face, the chin was already smoothly shaven.
    Goodbye to the black silk things dancing in the air at present, which was originally his beard.
    Very quick sabre, very wonderful sabre.

The heavily bearded man leg’s went soft all of a sudden and he dropped down to the ground.

Tian SiSi’s laughter was heard outside the door saying, “Didn’t I say that the golden beard actually did not have any beard? Right?”

Qin Ge laughed and said, “He did not have any beard at all.”

Two

Now there was finally no question about the beard’s existence.
    But what about the monk?
    Actually who killed the monk?

Was it the person that extended his hand from the roof?
    If he had killed the monk, why did he have to rescue Qin Ge?
    Who was he?

It looked like these questions would not be solved very quickly nor very easily.

Star lights all over the sky.

Tian SiSi stopped, gasping for breath.
    Here they finally could no longer see the monk or the bearded person.

Tian SiSi looked at Qin Ge’s face and said with a smile, “You have not kept the beard luckily, your luck is really good.”

Qin Ge gave a forced smile, “My luck is also good?”

Tian SiSi said, “If you have kept the beard, I will extract them one by one down to their roots.”
    She frowned suddenly and said, “Did you recognize that bearded person?”

Qin Ge said, “Not only have I not recognize him, I have never seen him before in my life.”

Tian SiSi said, “I have never seen him either, the people I have seen before, probably at the most only have half of his beard.”

Qin Ge looked at the sabre in his hand and said with a smile, “This is luckily a very quick sabre, otherwise it was really not easy to shave all of his beard.”

Tian SiSi had also smiled and said, “I did not expect your sabre skill to be that good.”

Qin Ge said, “If a person had suffered 472 sabre cuts, his sabre skill should not be too bad.”

Tian SiSi sighed and said, “But that senior monk was really so formidable, his skin was wrinkled like a monkey, but he was unexpectedly so difficult to cope with.”

Qin Ge said, “In Shaolin Temple, there are several thousand monks that are none so easy to cope with, moreover among these thousand monks, he was the most difficult to cope with.”

Tian SiSi said, “He is really the Shao Lin’s number one master?”

Qin Ge said, “If not the number one, he is not far from it.”

Tian SiSi sighed, “No wonder you were not his match.”

Qin Ge stared, “Who said I was not his match?”

Tian SiSi curled her lips and said, “If it had not been for someone who had rescued you, you would have been already ......”

Qin Ge said sharply, “That did not count.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because he had his weapon, I was actually empty-handed, I was already at a disadvantaged position.”

Tian SiSi said, “He was just using his string of rosary.”

Qin Ge said, “That rosary is his weapon, when a Buddhist monk walk outside, he would feel embarrassed carrying a sword around. Especially with his status, he could only take this kind of weapon with him.”

Tian SiSi blinked and said, “If he had been also empty-handed? Could you have defeated him?”

Qin Ge smiled and said, “At least I would not have been defeated.”

Tian SiSi said, “Shao Lin Pai has been the fundamental school in the martial arts world for several hundred years, and no other school has the same kind of reputation. Since your wugong is at the same level as the Shao Lin’s number one master, wouldn’t your skill be already unmatched in this world?”

Qin Ge said, “Heh heh! Ha ha!”

Tian SiSi said, “What is the meaning of heh heh ha ha?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “Meaning, I am not unmatched in the world.”

Tian SiSi had also smiled and said, “Finally you are very honest.”

Qin Ge sighed, “A chivalrous person has no alternative but to be honest.”

Tian SiSi said, “According to you, there are several people in the world whose wugong is higher than you?”

Qin Ge thought and said, “Not too many.”

Tian SiSi said, “What do you mean?”

Qin Ge said, “There are not that many people.”

Tian SiSi said, “Actually there are several?”

Qin Ge thought and said, “I heard that in the East Sea’s Bi Luo Dao (blue spiral island), the city leader of Ruo Cui Cheng (light green jade city), has quick sword moves, unparalleled in the world.”

Tian SiSi said, “Is he the first under heaven?”

Qin Ge said, “No.”

Tian SiSi said, “Who is the first under heaven then?”

Qin Ge said, “Little Li’s flying dagger.”

Saying these four words, his face showed all the respect and admiration of him.
    Anyone who mentioned “Little Li’s flying dagger” had no alternative but to admire him.
    Anyone who did not admire him already had their last words.

Tian SiSi was also unable to restrain her admiration and said, “Are you saying Li XunHoan, Little Li Tanhua?”

Qin Ge sighed, “Who else?”

Tian SiSi asked, “I heard that he had live secluded for a long time already, is he still in this world?”

Qin Ge said, “Certainly, this kind of person will live forever.”
    He said it correctly.
    A person could live forever, because their lives had been planted in the people’s hearts forever.

Tian SiSi said, “Let us not consider the people who have lived secluded, but only the people who are still active in jiang-hu.”

Qin Ge said, “That would not be that many.”
    He thought and then said, “Shao Lin’s leader Master Wu Gen has deep internal cultivation, nobody knows how deep.”

Tian SiSi said, “You have fought with him?”

Qin Ge said, “No, I do not dare to.”

Tian SiSi sweetly said, “Fine, he is one.”

Qin Ge said, “There are also Wudang’s Taoist Fei, Bashan’s swordsman Taoist Gu, Da-mo-shen-long (the desert’s divine dragon) ......I don’t want to fight with them.”

Tian SiSi said with a smile, “Only them?”

Qin Ge said, “In addition, at least one more.”

Tian SiSi said, “Who?”

Qin Ge said, “The person who rescued me a moment ago.”

Tian SiSi said, “You have not even seen that person, how should you know how high is his wugong?”

Qin Ge said, “When he was on the roof, he could extend his hand through the roof and caught Wu Se’s rosary just at the right time, I cannot do that.”

Tian SiSi also had no alternative but to acknowledge, “That was really great.”

Qin Ge said, “One more thing.”

Tian SiSi said, “Extinguishing the lights?”

Qin Ge said, “Right, such hidden weapon expertise was really excellent.”

Tian SiSi said, “You think he is the murderer of Wu Ming?”

Qin Ge said, “I only know that I did not kill that monk.”

Tian SiSi said, “These people have no hatred nor enmity with us, we have never seen them before, why should they treat us unjustly like that?”

Qin Ge coldly said, “Perhaps they just want to divert the blame onto others.”

Tian SiSi frowned and said, “Diverting the blame onto others?”

Qin Ge said, “You don’t get that?”

Tian SiSi said, “I certainly do, you are saying that they wanted Master Wu Ming dead, but they were afraid that Shao Lin Pai would take revenge, therefore they had devised this method to divert the blame to you.”

Qin Ge said, “Exactly.”

Tian SiSi said, “'But who are they? Why did they want Master Wu Ming dead?”

Qin Ge said, “Do you know the meaning of Shao Lin Pai?”

Tian SiSi said, “I know!”
    She should know.
    For several hundred years, the three words “Shao Lin faction” had embedded into people’s minds as the true fundamental faction of martial arts world.
    Therefore, unless you were not normal, nobody would be willing to affront them.

Qin Ge said, “Do you know the status of Master Wu Ming in Shaolin Temple?”

Tian SiSi said, “His status cannot be a low one.”

Qin Ge sighed and said, “Not low?”

Tian SiSi said, “I heard besides the abbot leader, who hold the highest status in Shaolin Temple, there are also the two law protectors.”

Qin Ge said, “Strictly speaking, there are not just two law protectors, but four.”

Tian SiSi said, “Actually is it two or four?”

Qin Ge said, “The most correct view is two big protectors and two small ones.”

Tian SiSi had smiled and said, “I did not expect that monks are just like officials, they are divided into many social classes.”

Qin Ge said, “But people should have different social classes.”

Tian SiSi said, “But I thought that everyone should all be equal, otherwise it is unfair.”

Qin Ge said, “Fine, let me ask you, if a person is stupid or lazy, who does nothing except eat during the day and sleep at night, what will he turn out to be?”

Tian SiSi said, “A beggar.”

Qin Ge said, “Also if another person, diligent and thrifty, also intelligent, who is willing to progress, will he beg for food?”

Tian SiSi said, “Certainly not.”

Qin Ge said, “Why do some people beg for food then? Or that some people live very comfortably?”

Tian SiSi said, “Because some people are stupid, some people are intelligent, diligent, some people are lazy.”

Qin Ge said, “Is this very fair?”

Tian SiSi felt relaxed and said, “Very fair.”

Qin Ge said, “So, should people have different social classes?”

Tian SiSi said, “Yes.”

Qin Ge said, “When all people are standing at one place, they are all equal. Then, it depends on whether you are willing to crawl upward or you just stand there coolly enjoying the wind. Whether some people crawl and sweat profusely or just waiting there, that would bring inequality, if that is called unfair, then the truth is unfair.”

He then slowly said, “If all the people can understand this truth, there will be less hatred and pain in the world.”

Tian SiSi was staring at him, sighed gently, “I am suddenly discovering that the way you speak feels more and more like someone I know.”

Qin Ge said, “Who?”

Tian SiSi shook her head, sighed and said, “You do not know him, he ......”
    She bit her lips, not saying anything except to herself, “Where has that big-headed ghost disappeared? Will I be able to see him again?”

Qin Ge suddenly said, “Where were we a moment ago?”

Tian SiSi reddened and said with a smile, “We were discussing the two big and two small of Shaolin Temple’s law protectors.”

Qin Ge said, “Two big law protectors means that these two people are older, with very profound skills, therefore unless there was an emergency, they would not tackle the matters in the world.”

Tian SiSi said, “Two small law protectors?”

Qin Ge said, “These two law protectors are not so old but they are already mature, they are really the Shaolin Temple’s real stewards. Therefore these two people are not only extremely astute, their wugong skills are certainly also very high.”

Tian SiSi said, “That means the two small law protectors are actually not small at all.”

Qin Ge nodded and said, “That monk Wu Ming was originally one of the Shaolin Temple's law protectors, he was also the current abbot leader’s younger fellow.”

Tian SiSi said, “He did not seem to have such a decorated background.”

Qin Ge said, “For several hundred years, there is only one kind of people who dares to kill Shao Lin’s law protectors.”

Tian SiSi said, “What kind of people?”

Qin Ge said, “Insane ones.”

Tian SiSi laughed inevitably, “Do you think these people were all insane?”

Qin Ge said, “There two kinds of insane people actually.”

Tian SiSi said, “What two kinds?”

Qin Ge said, “One kind is the one that has gone crazy because of himself, the other kind is the one that has gone crazy because he was compelled by others.”

Tian SiSi’s eyes rotated and said, “You think that they have been compelled to insanity by Wu Ming.”

Qin Ge said, “Certainly.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why did the monk Wu Ming have to compel them?”

Qin Ge said, “Because this monk liked to be meddlesome.”

Tian SiSi said, “Since he was the Shaolin Temple's law protector, why did he have to be meddlesome?”

END OF CHAPTER 23

I have hopes of finishing this translation (32 chapters).
    Hopefully then, the readers won't fell abandoned in the middle of the story.

Thanks fastclock! Only 10 more chapters to go! You can do it!

Another long one, but I'm too lazy to split it up.

Chapter 24 - Who are the Masters?

One

Qin Ge said, “I only said that he was originally the Shaolin Temple's law protector.”

Tian SiSi said, “Originally, but not now?”

Qin Ge said, “Not since 6-7 years ago.”

Tian SiSi said, “Was he forced to resign?”

Qin Ge said, “No, he just resigned.”

Tian SiSi said, “After climbing up with great difficulty to reach that high status, why did he have to leave?°

Qin Ge said, “Because Shaolin Temple was too cold, whereas his heart was actually too hot.”

Tian SiSi said, “The Buddhist cannot be too warm-hearted?”

Qin Ge said, “Therefore he would rather go to hell.”

Tian SiSi also sighed and said, “I only understand now what that meant.”

Qin Ge said, “Oh?”

Tian SiSi said, “A person that goes to hell is not being forced by others, he goes willingly there to save other people.”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “You can understand that, you have already grown up a lot.”

Tian SiSi pouted her mouth and said, “I am already a grown-up.”

Qin Ge said, “You were originally a young lady, but now you are a grown-up.”

Tian SiSi had not said anything else.
    Because she had realized that after these days, she had really grown up a lot— at least several years older.

She understood the difference between “a young lady” and “a grown-up”.
    This was something that a young lady would have never understood.

After a very long time, she also asked suddenly, “That monk said something really strange a moment ago, did you understand him?”

Qin Ge said, “The senior monk said many strange things, 7-8 out of 10 were strange.”

Tian SiSi said, “But this was something really different.”

Qin Ge said, “Which sentence?”

Tian SiSi said, “It was actually just two words.”

Qin Ge said, “Two words?”

Tian SiSi said, “Shan Liu.”

As soon as he heard these two words, Qin Ge’s expression really became a little different.

Tian SiSi said, “That senior monk said the monk Wu Mink should go to hell, because he entered Shan Liu, did you hear that?”

Qin Ge nodded.

Tian SiSi said, “What is the meaning of Shan Liu?”

Qin Ge was silent for a very long time and then slowly said, “Shan Liu is a group of people.”

Tian SiSi said, “A group of people?”

Qin Ge said, “A group of friends, their interest is the same, therefore they unify together, these two words make up for their code name 'Shan Liu.’“

Tian SiSi said, “What is their interest?”

Qin Ge said, “Going to hell.”

Tian SiSi, “They don’t want people to go to hell?”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “So to them, the gambling establishment is like hell, they must rescue these people who were perishing inside, therefore they must alter the gambling establishment into a temple?”

Qin Ge said, “At least the temple is not hell, it does not have burning places to burn the dead people.”

Tian SiSi said, “But to the people who open the gambling establishment, they would certainly hate him to the bone so much that they want the bones of a monk instead.”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “Therefore these talented people wanted his life.”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “I have heard of many things in jiang-hu, why have I never heard of ‘Shan Liu’?”

Qin Ge said, “Because that is originally a very secret organization.”

Tian SiSi said, “What they are doing are not shameful matters, why do they need the secrecy?”

Qin Ge said, “After they did something good, they are not willing to let others know, only then they are doing something truly good.”

Tian SiSi said, “But to do truly good, that is not too easy.”

Qin Ge said, “It is indeed not easy.”

Tian SiSi said, “If you must do good, you will offend a lot of dishonest people.”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “The dishonest people are not easy to cope with.”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “Therefore regardless of what they are trying to do, they must brave many dangers, and when they are not cautious enough, they can be like the monk Wu Ming, who died inexplicably on someone else’s hands.”

Tian SiSi said, “But they clearly know the dangers, right?”

Qin Ge said, “Regardless of the difficulty and many dangers, they do not care about them at all, not even dying.”

Tian SiSi sighed, her eyes shone and said, “I do not know whether I will have the opportunity later to get to know them.“

Qin Ge said, “I am afraid the opportunity will be very limited.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because they are doing this not to make themselves famous or to publicize themselves, even people around them might not know them, so how would you get to know them.”

Tian SiSi said, “You do not know who they are?”

Qin Ge said, “Up until now, I only know Master Wu Ming, if he were not dead already, I think Master Wu Se would not have revealed his identity.”

Tian SiSi said, “Besides him, there would be at least a scholar and a taoist priest.”

Qin Ge nodded and said, “They could certainly be Shan Liu people, but possibly they were not either. If they did not say it themselves, nobody could determine that.”

Tian SiSi hesitatingly said, “Inside this group of people, since it already has the monk, the taoist priest, and a scholar, it possibly has many kinds of strange people.”

Qin Ge said, “Right, I heard that inside Shan Liu, they have many complex people, nothing else in the world is as complex as this organization.”

Tian SiSi said, “How can these people get organized?”

Qin Ge said, “Because they share the same interest, same belief.”

Tian SiSi said, “There is no other reason?”

Qin Ge said, “There is also a person who can organize them.”

Tian SiSi said, “This person must be very great.”

Qin Ge said, “Certainly.”

Tian SiSi eyes flashed and said, “I must find a way to get to know him.”

Qin Ge said, “You can’t.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because nobody knows who he is.”

Tian SiSi glanced at him and said, “Therefore, anybody is possibly him..”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi was staring at him and said, “You can also possibly be him.”

Qin Ge had smiled and said, “If I were him, I would certainly tell you.”

Tian SiSi said, “Really?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “You should not forget, we are good friends.”

Tian SiSi sighed and said, “It is a pity that you are not.”

Qin Ge said, “I am not a Shan Liu person, because I am not qualified.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why are you not qualified?”

Qin Ge said, “To enter Shan Liu, one must have complete self-devotion, must have the spirit to go to hell, and willing to go through the fire or water and not even balk at ten thousand deaths!”

Tian SiSi said, “You?”

Qin Ge sighed, “I am no good, I enjoy life too much.”

Tian SiSi sweetly said, “Moreover you are also too famous, wherever you go, people will pay attention to you.”

Qin Ge gave a forced smile and said, “This is precisely my biggest problem.”

Tian SiSi sighed, “They elected you to be the scapegoat, I think because you are just too famous. Wherever you go people will recognize you, Even if you want to run, you still cannot escape.”

Qin Ge sighed, “Fame portends trouble, a mother should teach this to her kids.”

Tian SiSi said, “Now not only the Shao Lin Pai people will look for you, Shan Liu people will try to find you too.”

Qin Ge said, “Shan Liu people are even more fearful than Shao Lin Pai people.”

Tian SiSi said, “As soon as you walk somewhere, they will recognize you as the murderer.”

Qin Ge gave a forced smile.

Tian SiSi looked at him, after a long sigh she dangled her head and said, “I knew that I had made a mistake.”

Qin Ge said, “What mistake?”

Tian SiSi said, “I should not have told you to run a moment ago.”

Qin Ge said, “Indeed I should not.”

Tian SiSi was nipping her lips and said, “But why did you leave with me then?”

Qin Ge smiled and said, “Perhaps I did not leave for you?”

Tian SiSi said, “If not for me, then for who?”

Qin Ge said, “The person who rescued me a moment ago.”

Tian SiSi said, “You know who he is?”

Qin Ge nodded and said, “Besides him, even if all the people in the world asked me, I would not have left.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because I truly admire him in my heart.”

Tian SiSi widened her eyes and said, “I did not know that you have someone you admire.”

Qin Ge said, “Such a person like him, you will admire regardless.”

Tian SiSi said, “What kind of person is he?”

Qin Ge said, “The person who you have no alternative but to admire.”

Tian SiSi said, “Actually who is he?”

Qin Ge smiled, smiled very mysteriously.

Tian SiSi’s eyes flashed and said, “Is it Liu FengGu?”

Qin Ge stayed quiet.

Tian SiSi said, “Is it Yue HuanShan?”

Qin Ge stayed quiet.

Tian SiSi said, “Why didn’t you say something?”

Qin Ge had smiled and said, “Do you know them?”

Tian SiSi said, “I don’t know them now.”

Qin Ge said, “I do not know them too.”

Tian SiSi seemed bewildered and said, “Why don’t you know them?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “Maybe because I am very lucky.”

Tian SiSi had stared at him for a while before turning aside, curled her lips and sneered, “I know now the kind of person that you admire.”

Qin Ge said, “Oh?”

Tian SiSi said, “He is someone who is inferior to you, then you can admire him.”
    She did not let Qin Ge speak up, instead she injected, “When a man praises another man in front of a woman, that person is actually inferior to him, like ......”

Qin Ge said sharply, “Like when a woman praises another woman in front of a man, that other woman was actually a clown compared to her, right?”

Tian SiSi could not bear smiling, “That is right.”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “If it is like that, you are calling the soul of men by the heart of the concubines.”

Tian SiSi replied quickly, “What is so great about men?”

Qin Ge said, “Men are not so great, but he is willing to sincerely praise another man in front of a woman, to praise a truly great person.”

Two

The men were different in a lot of ways than women. But regardless, both men and women were doing fine. Because little differences could actually be a wonderful thing.

If you were a man, it would be best to understand one thing:

If another man praised you in front of you, he did not really admire you fully, but considered you a fool who could be easily deceived, he must have a hidden agenda.
    But if he praised you behind your back, then he was really praising you.

The women were actually different.
    If you were a woman, you should best understood one thing:

If another woman praised you in front of you or behind your back, that could only mean that she was looking down on you.
    Instead if she were scolding you behind your back, you should feel happy.

Some other matters were also equally wonderful.

When a man and a woman were alone together, the one who asked questions was usually the woman. If that happened, men should be happy. Because if a woman was willing to ask men questions, even strange or stupid questions, that meant that at least she did not dislike you. The more trivial was the question, the more she liked you.

But if she never asked you anything, and you had to be the one who entertained her, that meant that you liked her very much, but she did not really have a great interest in you.

If in your company, a woman did not even feel interested in asking you anything, what other interest she would have in you?

This situation happened in nearly every cases without an exception.
    Except now.

Tian SiSi was a woman, she did not dislike Qin Ge.
    Therefore she was also asking:
    “Who do you really admire?”

This question was originally very simple, very easy to reply.
    But Qin Ge still would not answer.

Three

Men and women could be found in different places, either in a town or a village.

For a roaming man, the town would have certain advantages: when you had to stay for many evenings, you could go to different places to eat.
    That would be something good to have.

But to find a lonely woman late at night at those places, for sure, she could not be a good woman.

But “having something” would always be much better compared to “having nothing”.

Four

Even in the most prosperous town, you could still see many open areas, for some unknown reason, people just did not occupy them.

These places might be prepared for a house, a business place, or something that could thrive well and then afterwards people would wonder why that place had not been occupied before.

Everybody only knew that wherever there was some open spaces, people could go there to herd cows, to raise pigs, to fight, to kill people or even to urinate.

Only when someone’s brain got excited, would he be moved to try to use this open area to make money. To get the place ready to make money was not an easy matter. Not only you had to use your brain, you also had to work really hard to achieve your goal.

This outdoor stall was on a very big open area.

Tian SiSi had asked Qin Ge, “Where are you bringing me to eat?”

Qin Ge said, “To Seven and a half.”

Tian SiSi said, “Seven and a half?”

Qin Ge said, “Seven and a half cents is to pay for the food.”

Tian SiSi said, “That place is called Seven and a half?”

Qin Ge nodded and said with a smile, “That place’s boss is also called seven and a half.”

Tian SiSi said, “How can this person have such a strange name?”

Qin Ge said, “Because when others have a haircut it costs 15 cents, but he only has to pay seven and a half cents.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because he is a bald person.”

Tian SiSi also smiled.

Qin Ge said, “When he was selling in the marketplace, he was already very famous. Afterwards he has opened a beef food stall here, and everything is good. The beef noodles is good, the pig’s feet noodle is also good, they are only sold seven and a half cents per bowl. Afterwards, this business has becomed really famous, the owner also has becomed really famous. So, many people who has come to this place also know this seven and a half person.”

Tian SiSi said, “His business is very good?”

Qin Ge said, “Very good.”

This outdoor food stall business was indeed very good.

Tian SiSi had never seen so many people in one place outside this late at night, and so many different kinds of people.
    Several dozens of tables were all occupied by all kinds of people.
    Some people rode horses, some people went by carriages to this place, so besides this open area, there were also a lot of stationary carriages and horses.
    All different kinds of carriages and horses. Some carriage drivers were waiting, some were wearing very nice clothes.

Tian SiSi really could not understand, since these people had such nice attractive carriages and horses, why should they bother to come to this kind of shoddy outdoor stall, just to eat a great seven and a half cents of beef noodle bowl?

In that big stretch of open area, only a few lanterns hung at the front of the stalls.
    The lanterns were already blackened with smoke so they were not very bright, and the place was really too big, so the lighting at most tables were almost non-existent. People’s faces were just too dark to distinguish.

Tian SiSi had waited with Qin Ge at the side for a while, before they had finally found an empty table. Unexpectedly nobody had noticed Qin Ge.

After waiting for some time, a mystifying waiter finally came along and put the cups and chopsticks on the table.

“Want some wine?”

“Yes.”

“How much?”

“Five catties.”

After asking these two questions, this waiter turned around and left, not even bothering to look at their faces.

Tian SiSi was stunned, she could not help saying, “This waiter is very impolite.”

Qin Ge smiled, “We are eating, not looking at the waiter.”

Tian SiSi said, “But he has not asked you what we want to eat?”

Qin Ge said, “He does not need to ask.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because they only provide four side dishes to everyone.”

Tian SiSi knits the brows, “Which four types?”

Qin Ge said, “Beef noodles, salted beef, pig’s feet noodle and red-roasted pig's feet.”

Tian SiSi was stunned and said, “Only these four types?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “These four types are also already enough, if someone does not like the beef, he can eat the pig's feet, if he does not like the pig's feet, he can eat the beef.”

Tian SiSi sighed and smiled reluctantly, “It is really his talent that he can find these four types of dishes to serve.”
    Perhaps because this place only served these four dishes, then people thought that this place was something unique.

Qin Ge said, “I know that he is not a talent.”

Tian SiSi said, “Oh?”

Qin Ge said, “But because he is not a talent, he can then get rich.”

Tian SiSi smiled.
    She also had no alternative but to acknowledge that this saying made sense.
    Actually she was still not too clear about the truth.
    Nobody really could make clear of this bewildering truth in this world.

The table and the place grew darker.

Tian SiSi looked around and suddenly found slivers of shadow flitting in the darkness, watching wandering souls coming and going. She could not clearly see their attires but they were like hunters eyeing to seize the rabbits.
    That kind of vision really invoked evil intentions.

Tian SiSi could not bear asking, “Who are these people?”

Qin Ge said, “People doing business.”

Tian SiSi said, “What kind of business has to be done here?”

Qin Ge said, “Shameful business.”

Tian SiSi’s thought about something but then nodded, although she was still not that clear about it.

Besides men, there were also women in the darkness.
    What were these women waiting to do? At least she seemed to understand about their intention.

Then she had turned to a place brightly lit at one side.
    She saw every kind of people, the poor and the wealthy, the inexpensive and the expensive clothings.
    Almost everyone was drinking — — although they shared the same place, they were not coming from the same world.

Then finally she saw that waiter bringing their wooden plates.
    The noodle and the meat were all hot.
    So long as they were hot, the food could not be too unpalatable.

Tian SiSi had eaten several mouthfuls before laying down the chopsticks, she looked at Qin Ge and said, “You said this place has become really famous?”

Qin Ge said, “Mmm.”

Tian SiSi said, “Famous because it sells two kinds of noodles?”

Qin Ge said, “Mmm.”

Tian SiSi looked around, sighed suddenly and said, “I think all these people must be sick.”

Qin Ge said, “Which people?”

Tian SiSi said, “These people who come here especially to eat the noodle!”

Qin Ge waited until he had finished his beef noodle bowl, before giving a long sigh, “They are not sick.”

Tian SiSi said, “That person?”
    She said this as her eyes were staring at a person.

This person sat under the bright light, wearing a very soft, very comfortable light blue gown, not only was it very luxurious, the fitting was tailor-perfect.
    He was not too old, his face expressed natural dignity, even while sitting on this broken table, rotten stool, nobody could despise him.

Tian SiSi said, “This person certainly has very high status.”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “He must have servant girls in his house.”

Qin Ge said, “Not just one, but many of them.”

Tian SiSi said, “He can certainly eat anything at home if he wants to.”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “Then, if he is not sick, why does he bother to come to this kind of place to eat late at night?”

Qin Ge drank the cup of wine slowly, then he put down the wine cup slowly, he look far ahead at a distant place in the darkness. After a very long time, then he gave a low sigh and said, “Do you know what is called loneliness?”

Tian SiSi said, “Certainly, I was frequently very lonely before.”

Qin Ge said, “What were you thinking at that time?”

Tian SiSi said, “My thought wandered everywhere, if I strolled out somewhere, I would ask anyone to chat with me.”

Qin Ge had smiled suddenly and said, “You think that is loneliness?”

Tian SiSi said, “What is it if it isn't loneliness?”

Qin Ge said, “That is called boredom, the true loneliness is not like that.”

He smiled very miserably before adding, “What is the appearance of true loneliness? Perhaps nobody could say clearly, because you would not know what you were thinking at that time.”

Tian SiSi was listening.

Qin Ge said, “If you have experienced many things, but it suddenly does not matter to you at all. Or if you have obtained many things, but you suddenly felt all empty inside you. Or when you arrived somewhere at the dead of the night and you found yourself all alone…”

His voice grew softer, then he said slowly, “Only at that time, you can understand what loneliness really means.”

Tian SiSi blinked her eyes and said, “You understand then?”

Qin Ge did not seem to have heard her, after a very long silence, he said, “Perhaps you did not think like that at the time, but that person sitting there all alone, perhaps he could feel emptiness in his heart, not knowing where to go, sometimes he wants to scream or something else to release that feeling…”

Tian SiSi said, “You should be thinking of something interesting at that time.”

Qin Ge said, “Perhaps the person’s biggest pain was that he could not control his own thought. Even if you tried your hardest to recollect the past happy thoughts but the ones that came up was only bitterness and pain, your heart just felt that it had been pierced by a needle.”

Tian SiSi said with a smile, “Pierced by a needle? That is only what the writers describe ......”

Qin Ge drank the cup of wine and said, “Before I did not believe that a person's heart could really suffer so much pain, I also thought that what the writers described were in excess, but afterwards I only knew that even the most extreme rhetoric that a writer used still could not describe what you feel at the time.”

He smiled miserably, then said, “If you have had that kind of feeling, only then you can understand why these people want to come here very late at night, running personally to this tattered outdoor stall to get drunk.”

Tian SiSi was silent for a while before saying, “If he is afraid of loneliness, he does not need to come here.”

Qin Ge said, “No?”

Tian SiSi said, “Why doesn't he look for his friend?”

Qin Ge said, “Fine, you may ask a friend to accompany you, for ten days, for half a month. But you cannot expect your friends to accompany you for a lifetime.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Qin Ge said, “Because your friends certainly also have their own problems to solve, their own family members to comfort, they could not accompany you forever.”

He smiled and said, “Moreover you do not really want to have your friends share your pain forever.”

Tian SiSi said, “You may at least hire a person to accompany you.”

Qin Ge said, “That kind of person is not your friend, if you were really lonely, that person will not relieve it.”

Tian SiSi rotated her eyes and said, “I knew someone who might bring relieve …”

Qin Ge said, “What kind of person?”

Tian SiSi said, “A person like Zhang Haoer might be more comfortable here than anyone else.”

She pointed to a fat person with a youth-looking pattern clothes and said, “He looks like a person who can have the strength to enjoy a girl.”

Qin Ge said, “Right, he can go there. But if you go too often to that kind of place, you can become very, very weary.”

Tian SiSi said, “Therefore, he would rather run here and drown his own sorrow?”

Qin Ge said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “But the person who comes here still has no friend, no one to understand his pain, wouldn’t it be the same if he has just stayed all by himself.”

Qin Ge said, “That is completely different.”

Tian SiSi said, “What is so different?”

Qin Ge said, “Because here you can feel other people’s existence, feel his own pulse of life, or he may see some other people in more pain than him…”

Tian SiSi said, “If a person saw someone suffering more pain than him, his own pain could be lessened?”

Qin Ge said, “Sometimes yes.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why? How can a person be so selfish?”

Qin Ge smiled forcedly and said, “Because a person is basically a selfish person.”

Tian SiSi said, “I am not selfish, I only hope that everyone in the world can have joy.”

Qin Ge gave a long sigh and said, “When you grow up, you will understand that this idea is impossible to realize!”

Tian SiSi said, “Why can’t people be joyful?”

Qin Ge said, “Because if you want to be joyful, you must often pay the painful price. If you obtain something, at the same time you often lose something else ......”

Tian SiSi said, “Why do people think like that? Why don't they think in another way?”
    Her eyes glittered, “If you suffer pain, just think of wonderful things. When you lose something, think about something else that you have gotten, wouldn’t that feel more joyful then?”

Qin Ge was staring at her, before smiling and tossing down his drink. He said, “Because not many people in the world could think like you, otherwise this world would be a lot more lovable.”

People who came here were not just lonely people.

Qin Ge said, “There are some people who come here only in the evening, because it is shameful to come here in the daytime. There are some people too who really like this place.”

Tian SiSi said, “Some people really like this place?”

Qin Ge said, “Certainly, I like this place.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why do you like this place?”

Qin Ge said, “This place is not that clean or comfortable, the beef and the pig’s feet are not that special, but it certainly has a distinctive ambience.”

Tian SiSi sweetly said, “What ambience? Fetid odor?”

Qin Ge said, “If you come to a big restaurant every day, sometimes if you do not go there for a few times, you feel something fresh and exciting.

Tian SiSi said, “So this place is good for people that are not in a good mood?”

Qin Ge said, “No, it is like ......”
    He smiled, then said, “Like you are with your wife every day, but sometimes you look at other women, and although her face was like a clown compared to your wife, you still feel something fresh and stimulating.”

Tian SiSi’s face stiffened and said, “How can you say something like that in front of a lady?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “Because I know that you will not marry me, sometimes when a man treats a woman as a friend, he forgets that she is a woman.”

Tian SiSi smiled.
    She smiled very sweetly, very happily.
    But suddenly her heart felt indescribable disconsolate feeling, as if it was searching for something to cover the emptiness inside.

In her mind before, Qin Ge was the man, but now she had even forgotten that he was a man.
    Because he was already her friend.
    Her true need was not for a friend, but for someone who could accompany her forever, comfort her, let her lie down on his bosom.

Would she find this kind of a man later?
    She did not know.

Actually what should this kind of a man look like?
    She did not know.

Perhaps only because she never stopped looking that she could never find him.
    Because perhaps she might have found him, but she had just let him go.
    Didn’t people always let go of things that they needed the most? Only after they lost the things, then they understood how important were the lost ones.

“In any event, I should never try to look for that big-headed ghost.”
    Tian SiSi clenched her teeth.
    “I should not even care if he never comes to see me again or even if he dies.”

She told her heart again and again, like forcing herself to accept this truth.
    But in the end, she realized that only when with Yang Fan her heart did not feel this terrible empty feeling. Perhaps she could get angry or get upset, but never get lonely.

Qin Ge was looking at her and said suddenly, “What are you thinking?”

Tian SiSi suddenly lifted up the wine cup and drank. She reluctantly smiled, “I was wondering whether that person will come or not.”

Qin Ge said, “Who?”

Tian SiSi said, “Your most admired person.”

Qin Ge was smiling, smiling very mysteriously and said, “That person has already come now.”

Tian SiSi said, “Where?”

Qin Ge said, “You just need to turn around.”

END OF CHAPTER 24

I'm posting several short posts so the page is not too long...
    Only 8 more chapters to go.

Thanks fastclock.

Can that person be Yang Fan?

Chapter 25 – A Divine Thief, a Lame Person, a Beautiful Woman

One

Tian SiSi had turned around immediately.
    As soon as she turned her head she saw Yang Fan.

The old Yang Fan, the big head, the round face, with his distinguishable very fat, stupid appearance.
    But Tian SiSi did not consider him ugly at all.
    She only felt a sudden surge of warmth in her heart, not only warmth but also happiness.
    It was the same kind of feeling when someone retrieved her most beloved thing that she had lost.

She almost nearly jumped up and called him.
    But when she actually turned her head, her face seemed to stiffen.

Because Yang Fan did not seem to notice her, nor had he paid any attention to her.
    Yang Fan was speaking with another person.
    As if in his heart, all the people in the world seemed to be a lot more important than her.

Tian SiSi suddenly no longer felt empty, instead she felt awfully mad and angry.

Qin Ge said with a smile, “Now you ought to know who he is?”

Tian SiSi sneered, “I only know that you can see this big-headed ghost.”
    She could not bear asking, “The person you admire the most is really him?”

Qin Ge nodded.

Tian SiSi said, “The person who rescued you a moment ago was him?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “Moreover, the person who was afraid that you would catch a cold last night was also him.”

Tian SiSi blushed furiously and said, “You saw that...”

Qin Ge said, “I had to pretend that I did not see it.”

Tian SiSi was staring at him, and railed bitterly, “You already knew him before?”

Qin Ge said, “If I had not known him, I could not have admired him.”
    He was smiling, and also said, “The truth is if you were to admire a person, you would need to know him for a very long time, only then you would know what kind of a person he is.”

Actually what kind of a person was Yang Fan?

Tian SiSi thought she knew him very clearly.
    He was from a famous family, the third master Yang was the sole heir of the family property, destined to enjoy money and happiness for a lifetime.

But he did not enjoy a merry life.
    Since he was very small, he had roamed about and created his own world.

He had studied under many martials arts teachers, but most of his masters afterwards took him as a friend.

He was an expert at living a life of dissipation. Someone said that he was dead drunk in Da-tong’s brothel place for 17 days, the wine that he drank was enough to drown several people to death.

Sometimes he could also be found in a temple, but it was not clear whether he just wanted to rest or he wanted to confess his own evil.

His head was very big, he had thick-skinned face.
    Besides living a life of dissipation, he did not seem to have any other proper things to do.

This was Yang Fan— — Tian SiSi knew that much.

But she suddenly realized now that the more she got to know him, the more she could not really understand him. Was it because she had not looked deep enough?

Tian SiSi stared at him with big eyes, looking at Yang Fan.

He was standing there talking to several people. His voice was very low, bringing a little mystery with him. He seemed to always work a little mysteriously.

There were 5-6 people sitting there talking to him originally, but after a while other people had left, leaving only a person there sitting eating the noodles. His eating capacity was really not small, 6-7 empty bowls were already piled in front of him.

When Yang Fan came to him, he was gnawing at the pig's feet, but when he saw Yang Fan, he immediately stood up showing a great respect.

It seemed that besides Tian SiSi, everyone else all showed great respect to Yang Fan.
    Actually what were they saying? What topic were they discussing?

Tian SiSi had called suddenly and said loudly, “Yang Fan, can you come here first?”

Yang Fan turned around to look at her with a frown. The person speaking with him was smiling and nodding, after a gentle two sentences, he walked away with a limp.

Tian SiSi discovered that he was a lame person who was also poor, thin and abandoned.
    This person might not have had meals for several days, therefore he was seizing the opportunity to stuff all the beef noodles into his stomach.

Tian SiSi curled his lips and sneered, “I really do not understand what you were saying to flatter this kind of person.”

She had not said it when Yang Fan came over and said lightly, “You know him?”

Tian SiSi said, “Who would know him?”

Yang Fan said, “Since you do not know him, how do you know what kind of a person he is?”

Tian SiSi said, “What is so great about what kind of a person he is?”

Yang Fan said, “He does not have anything great, but still if he wants to speak to me, even if it is for three days and three nights, I will accompany him.”

Tian SiSi’s eyes grew bigger and said, “He will say something nice?”

Yang Fan said, “Not something nice, but something actually worth listening.”
    He then said leisurely, “Something worth listering usually are not that pleasant to hear.”

Tian SiSi sneered, “What has to be worth listening? Like what place to go to find women?”

Qin Ge suddenly laughed.

Tian SiSi turned her head to stare at him and said, “What are you laughing at?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “I am laughing at you all.”

Tian SiSi said, “Laughing at us all? Who are us?”

Qin Ge said, “You and him.”
    He was smiling, also said, “When you have not met each other, both of you seem to think of each other a lot, but yet as soon as you meet each other, you actually cannot stop quarrelling......”

Tian SiSi’s face stiffened and said loudly, “I am telling you, I am me, he is him, even if eight sticks were used to bind us that still would not bring us together.”
    Although she stiffened her face, but her complexion had become red.

Yang Fan smiled suddenly and said, “If eight sticks are not enough, how about nine sticks?”

Tian SiSi said maliciously, “With nine sticks I will kill you, kill this big-headed ghost.”
    She spoke this but before the end she giggled as her face became very red.

If you were really a girl who were supposed to be bound together with a man and be pulled somewhere, her face would not blushed, she would just turned pale. She would not giggle.

For the first time Lady Tian felt that this place had a good point, the lighting was at least good.
    She did not really want to let this big-headed ghost see her blush so fiercely.

Unfortunately that mystifying waiter suddenly walked in.
    Seeing Yang Fan, he unexpectedly became like a different person, he showed a very kind smiling face. He bowed and said with a smile, “Today what do you want to eat?”

Yang Fan said, “You just arrange it.”

The waiter said, “Is the previous arrangement good?”

Yang Fan said, “Fine.”

The waiter said, “How about some wine?”

Yang Fan said, “Tonight I have to take care of something.”

The waiter said, “Then a little bit is fine, a catty of wine certainly will not mess things up.”
    He bowed again and left.

Tian SiSi sneered, “There are only a couple of things here to eat, why did he have to ask?”

Yang Fan blinked and said, “Perhaps he only wanted to hear me speak.”

Tian SiSi said, “Hear you speak? What is so pleasant to hear?”

Yang Fan said easily, “Many people say that my voice is pleasant to hear, haven’t you noticed?”

Tian SiSi bent her waist immediately, holding her belly, as if suddenly feeling nauseated and wanted to vomit.

Qin Ge suddenly laughed.

Tian SiSi stared at him, “What are you laughing at?”

Qin Ge said, “I suddenly remember something, this saying is not only interesting, it is true.”

Tian SiSi said, “What is it?”

Qin Ge said, “If a woman starts putting on airs in front of you, she is already expressing how much she likes you.”

Tian SiSi called out, “That is nonsense, who said this kind of B.S?”

Qin Ge said, “Yang Fan.”
    He smiled while also saying, “Certainly Yang Fan, except Yang Fan, no one else can say something like this.”

Tian SiSi winked, putting on a serious face she said, “There is someone else.”

Qin Ge said, “Who?”

Tian SiSi said, “The pig.”

Two

The food was sent out quickly, besides the beef and the pig's feet, all kinds of dishes unexpectedly also came out. Almost any kind of dishes you would want were all laid out on the table.

Tian SiSi was staring at that waiter and said, “Isn’t this place only serves beef and pig's feet?”

The waiter said, “And the noodles.”

Tian SiSi said, “No other?”

The waiter said, “No.”

Tian SiSi nearly shouted, “Then where do these things come from?”

The waiter said, “Fished from the pots and pans.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why didn't you send us these a moment ago?”

The waiter said, “Because you are not the eldest brother Yang.”

He did not wait for Tian SiSi to ask anymore questions and turned around.

If this person were a girl, or if there were not so much oil on his body, Lady Tian would have held onto him and certainly taught him some manners. Unfortunately he was a man and the oil on his clothes was probably enough to stir fry 70-80 types of dishes.

Therefore Tian SiSi only sat there with a blank angry stare.
    Actually what did this big-headed ghost have that cause others to be so good to him? She really did not understand.

Tian SiSi just sat there for a while before blurting out, “What did he say just a moment ago? Eldest brother Yang?”

Yang Fan said, “Seems so.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why does he call you eldest brother Yang?”

Yang Fan said, “Why can’t he call me eldest brother Yang?”

Tian SiSi said, “Is he your brother?”

Yang Fan said, “That is not good?”

Tian SiSi sneered, “Certainly good. As long as he is an individual, he can be your friend and be on intimate terms with you.”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “But it actually has to be an individual, this is most important, because some people are not qualified.”

Tian SiSi looked at him and said, “You are also his brother?”

Qin Ge said, “That is not good?”

Tian SiSi sneered, “Certainly good. Your tune has become very similar to his, if you were smaller, you could even become his son, that is still good.”

Qin Ge said, “There is also a person whose tune has quickly become quite similar to his.”

Tian SiSi said, “Who is it?”

Qin Ge said, “You.”

Some people’s behavior and action were so distinct that other people could quickly follow him involuntarily. It was like spreading the colds sickness, it was too easy to infect the others. When you stayed with him in the same place for a while, you could not help yourself being infected by him.

Tian SiSi detected suddenly that she had changed a little, that before she did not speak like this.
    Should a girl speak like this?

She had not figured that out when from the darkness ahead, some 5 or 6 shadows had walked nearer. The person in the front was walking with a limp, the lame person.

Tian SiSi could not bear asking, “This crippled person is also your brother?”

Yang Fan said, “He is not called the cripple, nobody called him the cripple.”

Tian SiSi said, “What do others call him?”

Yang Fan said, “Wu BanCheng.”

Tian SiSi said, “His name is Wu BanCheng (half a city)?”

Yang Fan said, “His name is Wu BuKe (not possible), but all others actually called him Wu BanCheng.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why?”

Yang Fan said, “Because nearly half of this city used to belong to their family.”

Tian SiSi said, “Now?”

Yang Fan said, “Now there is only this place.”

Tian SiSi was stunned and said, “This place is his?”

Yang Fan said, “Right.”

Tian SiSi said, “He already looks so poor, why doesn’t he open his own business in this place?”

Yang Fan said, “Because he is afraid that if he takes back this place, he will have nowhere to go in the evening.”

Tian SiSi said, “Therefore he would rather die poor, and let others get rich on this place?”

Yang Fan said, “He is not poor.”

Tian SiSi said, “He is not poor? How can he be not poor?”

Yang Fan said, “Although he has sold half of the city, he had actually gained half a city of friends, therefore he is still Wu BanCheng.”

Qin Ge said, “Therefore he is still a lot richer compared to others.”
    It looked like there were certain people who considered having friends to be truly richer and happier than being rich.

Tian SiSi sighed and said, “So, he is actually an odd person.”

Yang Fan said, “Because he is an odd person, therefore I can frequently hear strange news only from his mouth.”

Tian SiSi’s eyes shone and said, “Today you have heard some strange news?”

Yang Fan said, “He has many friends, his news is certainly very interesting.”

Tian SiSi said, “What news do you hear?”

Yang Fan said, “He tells me that there is a temple outside the city.”

Tian SiSi said, “You think this news is very strange? Only if a person had never been in a temple the whole life would he think that news is strange, even a pig should have been in a temple once!”

Yang Fan paid no attention to her, then said, “He also told me that there are three senior monks in the temple.”

Tian SiSi disappointedly said, “Not only this pig has never seen a temple, he has never seen monks too.”

Yang Fan said, “He also told me, today suddenly there are several dozens of monks in this temple, moreover they are not senior monks, but new monks.”

Tian SiSi’s eye had shone, she nearly jumped and said, “Where is this temple?”

Yang Fan said lightly, “Since this news is not strange, why do you ask?”

Tian SiSi sweetly said, “The one who said that this news does not feel strange is the real pig.”
    She suddenly felt extremely excited.

If there were many new monks in the temple, they must certainly be the monks from that gambling establishment. And one of them must be the golden beard.

As long as they could find these monks, they could prove that the event this afternoon was not just a dream, that she was not talking nonsense. As long as they could prove this matter, they could prove that Qin Ge did not kill the meddlesome monk.
    Therefore the key to revealing this plot was in that temple!

Qin Ge also could not bear asking, “Where is this temple?”

Yang Fan said, “Outside the north gate.”

Qin Ge said, “How far is it from here to the north gate?”

Yang Fan said, “Very near.”

Tian SiSi jumped up and interjected, “Such being the case, why don’t we go now, what are we waiting for?”

Yang Fan said, “We should wait for a person.”

Tian SiSi said, “Wait?”

Yang Fan said, “It is a person worth waiting for.”

Tian SiSi said, “If we don’t hurry there now, these monks might leave?”

Yang Fan said, “If they have left, I cannot do anything about it.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why can’t we hurry there, why do we have to wait for that person?”

Yang Fan said, “Because I have to wait.”

Tian SiSi said, “He is so important?”

Yang Fan said, “Mmm.”

Tian SiSi sat down again, pouted her mouth and could not bear asking, “Does he have something very important to tell you?”

Yang Fan said, “Mmm.”

Tian SiSi said, “Actually what news?”

Yang Fan’s face just responded by disinclined “mmm” all the time and he sipped the wine in the cup slowly while picking up a duck gizzard to chew.

Qin Ge said with a smile suddenly, “I think your alcohol capacity has dwindled recently.”

Yang Fan smiled and said, “Indeed it has dwindled, but it would still see you crawling all around the place talking nonsense.”

Qin Ge laughed and said, “Boasting again, when we find the opportunity, I will prevail over you.”

Yang Fan said, “Do you remember when we were at the Fragrant hall, enjoying the Shaoxing wine ......”
    At this critical time, these two people unexpectedly just chatted back and forth.

Tian SiSi became anxious and angry, and suddenly banged the table and said loudly, “Since you two already know each other long ago, why didn’t you tell me?”

Yang Fan said, “Why did we have to tell you?”

Qin Ge said with a smile, “We know so many people, if we have to tell you one by one, three days and three nights are still not enough.”

Men were really not a good thing, yesterday they pretended not to know each other, today they formed the battle front against her.
    The most annoying thing was that when they said something, she could not argue against it.

Tian SiSi had suddenly remembered Tian Xin.
    This servant girl was always glib, if she had her by her side helping her, maybe they could not bully her so easily.
    But unfortunately she could not see this servant girl anywhere.

Immediately Tian SiSi banged the table again and said loudly, “How about my servant? Return her to me quickly.”

Yang Fan said, “What are you saying?”

Tian SiSi said, “You brought along my servant girl, and you still dare to pretend you don’t know?”
    Yang Fan frowned and said, “When did I do that?”

Tian SiSi said, “Yesterday, when you went out of that gambling establishment, didn’t she follow you along?”

Yang Fan said, “You asked her to leave you?”

Tian SiSi, “I could not have provided her lodging.”

Yang Fan had not spoken, his complexion seemed to change really ugly.

Tian SiSi did not like his look and with an anxious smile she asked, “Haven't you seen her?”

Yang Fan shook his head.

Tian SiSi said, “You ......You do not know where she is?”

Yang Fan shook his head again.

Tian SiSi’s hands and feet suddenly became ice-cold, she sighed, “She ...... has been carried away by force by these people?”
    Whenever someone mentioned about Mr. Ge, her hands and feet became icy cold.
    Thinking that Tian Xin could possibly have fallen into this devils’ hands, she felt shivering cold all over.
    After a very long time, she only then struggled to stand up.

Yang Fan said, “You must leave?”

Tian SiSi nodded.

Yang Fan said, “Where are you going?”

Tian SiSi was nipping her lips and said, “To look for that dead servant girl.”

Yang Fan said, “Look where?”

Tian SiSi said, “I ......I would look for Zhang Haoer first, then look for Madam Wang.”

Yang Fan said, “If she were really there, what would you do?”

Tian SiSi was stunned.

Wherever Tian Xin were, Mr. Ge woud also possibly be there.
    As soon as she saw Mr. Ge, her body felt weak, so what could she do?

Yang Fan said, “I think you should better sit down first and wait ...“

Tian SiSi said loudly, “Actually how long are we waiting?”

Yang Fan said, “Until the person comes.”

Tian SiSi said, “What if he does not come?”

Yang Fan said, “I will continue to wait.”

Tian SiSi said bitterly, “Is that person your father that you should be like this?”

And then someone behind her said lightly, “I am not his father, at the most I can only be called his old lady.”

This voice was hoarse and low and deep, but had indescribable charm, even a woman who heard her voice would think that it was extremely pleasant to hear.

Tian SiSi had turned around and saw a woman.
    She had never seen such a woman before.

Three

The light at that place was only as good as the chilly star lights.
    She stood passively underneath.

Her face did not show any expression, she had not spoken and had not moved at all, not even her fingertips. But for some unknown reason, Tian SiSi for a quick moment felt that her whole body was like moving and speaking. In particular that eyes, the dim, partly opened eyes seemed to continuously give this half asleep appearance. But when these same eyes were looking at you, you felt that her life was giving a message about loneliness and at the same time, reaching out to you the cordiality that intertwined into the depth of your bone and body.

Whoever you were, you would feel thorough sympathy with her.
    And yet when you wanted to approach her, she could suddenly became very remote ......
    As far as the horizon.

Tian SiSi had never seen such a woman.
    But she actually knew that such a woman was precisely whom men longed for even in their dreams.
    Zhang Haoer had graceful bearing and was also very beautiful.
    But compared to this woman, Zhang Haoer was simply like a clumsy countryside girl.

“The one Yang Fan was waiting for was her.”

END OF CHAPTER 25

Thanks for the nice update fastclock.

Just a few days away and then these updates! Woo .. keep going ....

Thanks for the translation. Every day you post, it's the highlight of my day.

Chapter 26 - Wine and Be Drunk

Tian SiSi clenched her teeth, but also had to acknowledge that she was indeed a woman worth waiting. And worth looking.

Yang Fan and Qin Ge’s eyes were clear, continuously staring at her.

She had slowly sat down and had taken the wine cup in front of Yang Fan.

Qin Ge immediately poured the wine for her.

She raised her cup and quickly tossed it down, drinking even quicker than Qin Ge.
    A woman originally should not drink like that.
    But her way of drinking did not cause others to think that she was boorish, instead her alluring style of drinking could cause a person to get drunk not from the drink.

She had quickly downed five big cups of wine before she smiled at Tian SiSi.
    Her smile was insipid as if she was weary of life, and yet her insipid smile was still elegantly beautiful.

Tian SiSi looked at her, like looking at the star in the sky.
    Looking at her starlike eyes, the star light had seemed to change its color.
    She was already drinking her seventh cups of wine.

Tian SiSi was nipping her lips saying, “Someone was waiting for you here.”
    But her response was just that insipid smile.

Tian SiSi intentionally did not look at her as she coldly said, “If you have something important to say, it is best if you can say it quickly, otherwise we have a very important thing to do.”

Yang Fan smiled suddenly and said, “When Wang SanNiang has not drunk enough wine, she is always disinclined to speak.” He evidently understood her very well.

Tian SiSi’s lips began to hurt from her own nipping, and then in her best serious voice she asked, “When will she have enough wine to drink then?”

Immediately Wang SanNiang smiled lightly and said, “Only when I am drunk.”

Tian SiSi said, “If you were drunk could you still speak?”

Wang SanNiang’s hands took another cup of wine and with a faraway look she said, “What I will say is a drunken rambling anyway.”

Tian SiSi said, “I did not know that some people will also listen to a drunken rambling”

Yang Fan smiled and said, “All living things must say some drunken ramblings at some point.”

Immediately Wang SanNiang smiled and patted lightly Yang Fan’s shoulder as she sweetly said, “You are very good, I have not seen a man like you for a while. No wonder some people will feel jealous for you!”

Although Tian SiSi was trying hard to endure patiently, she still interjected, “Who is jealous?”

Wang SanNiang had not replied, but turned her face to the light and said, “Have you seen my facial wrinkles?”

The lights were chilly clear.
    Although Tian SiSi had not seen clearly the wrinkles on her face, she suddenly discovered that indeed she appeared very thin, pale and very weary.

Wang SanNiang said, “A beautiful woman will always appear well under the lamp, she will always appear young.”

Tian SiSi said, “Oh?”

Wang SanNiang said lightly with a smile, “A woman who looks my age sometimes unavoidably must feel jealous, especially with such a girl like you.”

Tian SiSi stiffened her face and said, “You are rambling?”

Wang SanNiang sighed gently and said, “Often the rambling is the truth, it is only a pity that often people do not like listening to the truth.”

Yang Fan said, “I like listening to the truth.”

Wang SanNiang glanced at him and said, “The story that you heard was not false.”

Yang Fan’s complexion had changed and said, “You know that it is not false?”

Wang SanNiang nodded slowly, no longer spoke.

Yang Fan also no longer spoke, he just stared ahead blankly, after a very long time he finally sighed and said, “Many thanks.”

Wang SanNiang said, “You will later have the opportunity to thank me. Now ......”
    She smiled at the thought and said, “You leave quickly, do not let this youngest sister wait with worry ......When a man makes a girl wait, he is not a fine gentleman.”

Tian SiSi said, “What if a woman makes a man wait?”

Wang SanNiang said, “That is not really a problem, only ......”

Tian SiSi said, “Only what?”

Wang SanNiang’s vision was still pointed at a distant place, she said, “Only you should better remember that men do not have a lot of patience, although you deserve to be waited upon, he cannot wait for a long time.”

Tian SiSi was silent.
    She seemed to chew on this indescribable bitterness in her speech.

Yang Fan said, “We are leaving, how about you?”

Wang SanNiang said, “I will stay here, I still want to drink several cups.”

Qin Ge said, “I will accompany you.”

Wang SanNiang said, “Why do you have to accompany me?”

Qin Ge also sighed and said, “Because I know the drinking taste of a loner.”
    That taste would not feel better.

Wang SanNiang smiled actually, lightly said, “Whatever the taste does not really matter, you do not need to accompany me, you just leave.”

She had returned to the wine cup.
    She seemed to changed completely into her loneliness.
    Perhaps some people were besides her, but she would still be a lonely person.

Yang Fan no longer spoke, he stood slowly, and beckoned to the dark ahead.
    The dark shadow emerged.

Nobody saw where he came from, like he was the dark demon in there.
    That shadow still stood there, as if dissolving in the darkness.
    After he bowed to Yang Fan, he waited there.

Yang Fan turned to Wang SanNiang and said, “SanNiang, I respect you a cup and leave.”

Wang SanNiang said, “Just promise that this is not the last cup.”

Yang Fan said, “Certainly not.”

Wang SanNiang raised her cup and drink.

Tian SiSi could not bear saying, “We leave now?”

Yang Fan nodded.

Tian SiSi said, “You were not waiting to speak to her?”

Yang Fan said, “I have spoken to her.”

Tian SiSi said, “Only that?”

Yang Fan pondered for a little while before saying slowly, “Sometimes a quick chat can exceed millions of words!”

He slowly walked into the darkness.
    That shadow in the darkness suddenly leapt up high and vanished like the spirit.

Yang Fan darted after him.
    Qin Ge and Tian SiSi also pursued from behind immediately.

After pursuing shortly, Tian SiSi could not bear looking behind once.
    Wang SanNiang actually had not turned her head.
    Tian SiSi could only see her elegant slender back that had curved a little, as if there was a very heavy burden on her shoulder. The burden of life.
    Her back unexpectedly looked so forlorn, so weary, so lonely.

Yang Fan was waiting in the front.
    In the darkness up front, a shadow could be vaguely distinguished waiting there.

Tian SiSi had finally caught up with them gently panting for breath and said, “Why do you have to go all out to pursue that person?”

Yang Fan said, “Because he is our guide.”

Tian SiSi said, “Is that the same lame person who told us about the temple?”

Yang Fan said, “That person is not the cripple, he is Wu BanCheng.”

Tian SiSi said, “It looks like your friends mix are indeed very broad, unexpectedly you also know this kind of person.”

Yang Fan said, “You know what kind of person he is?”

Tian SiSi shook his head and said, “I only know that his levitation skill is really good.”

Yang Fan said, “What else?”

Tian SiSi said, “What else? Nothing.”

Yang Fan smiled beckoned suddenly to the shadow up front.
    That shadow immediately rushed like light smoke to them.

Yang Fan had also rushed forward, during the high-speed encounter, Yang Fan seemed to have said something. But he spoke so low, Tian SiSi could not hear what he said. At this moment, that shadow passed over gently and swiftly from her side, looking lively like the wind.

Yang Fan also came back, bringing his smile at her.

Tian SiSi frowned, could not bear asking, “Actually why are you so happy?”

Yang Fan said with a smile, “I only want you to have a look at what he is.”

Tian SiSi said, “Then you should ask him to stand in front of me, let me look at him clearly, now his face is all black I cannot see clearly.”

Yang Fan said, “If you cannot see his face, why don’t you look somewhere else.”

Tian SiSi said, “Where?”

Yang Fan said, “For example at his hands.”

Tian SiSi said, “What is so attractive about his hands? Does he have more fingers in his hands?”

Yang Fan said, “His fingers are actually not that many, but he has more hands than ordinary persons.” He looked at Tian SiSi, smiled suddenly and said, “What has actually fallen from your body?”

Tian SiSi looked up and down, “Nothing.”

Yang Fan said, “Really?”

Tian SiSi sighed, smiled forcedly and said, “Nothing could possibly have fallen from my body.”

Yang Fan said, “Up above?”

Tian SiSi said, “Nothing above ......”
    She had not completed her sentence when she realized that her hair hung loose now.
    The hair tie had unexpectedly disappeared.

When he rushed besides her just now, did he managed to get her hair tie?
    She was not dead, how could she not feel anything?

Yang Fan said with a smile, “Now you ought to understand what type of a person he is?”

Tian SiSi pouted her mouth and said, “I did not know that your friend simply has three hands.”

Yang Fan said lightly, “Not simply three hands, he has thirteen hands.”

Tian SiSi coldly said, “Either three or thirteen, he is merely a thief.”

Yang Fan said, “Have you seen several thieves?”

Tian SiSi said, “No, luckily.”

That shadow was waiting for them in front, calmly stood there, as if he had never moved.

Tian SiSi blinked and said, “Can you ask him to come again, I want to have a look at him.”

Yang Fan said easily, “Since he is only a thief, there is nothing attractive about him.”

Tian SiSi said, “I ......actually want to see how many hands he has?”

Yang Fan said, “You will not be able to see his hands.”

Tian SiSi pouted her mouth and said, “Then, can I see his face?”

Yang Fan said, “No.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why not?”

Yang Fan said, “Nobody has seen his face.”

Tian SiSi passes, “You?”

Yang Fan said, “I have seen him.”

Tian SiSi said, “Why can you see him, while others cannot?”

Yang Fan said, “Because I am his friend.”

Tian SiSi was staring at him and said bitterly, “Besides the thief and the lame person, do you also have some nice friends?”

Yang Fan said, “No.”

Tian SiSi could not bear saying with a smile, “The dragon mingles with dragons, the phoenix mixes with the phoenix, the mouse friend can dig the burrow, I have heard them all, but unexpectedly you do not have any nice friends, I did not know that.”

Yang Fan said, “I also have a very wonderful friend, if others know they will probably laugh very loudly.”

Tian SiSi said, “How is this person wonderful?”

Yang Fan said, “She is all wonderful, the most wonderful part is besides causing trouble, she cannot do anything else.”

Tian SiSi could not bear saying with a smile, “Who is this person?”

Yang Fan said, “You.”

Lady Tian’s anger simply swelled up inside her, ready to explode.
    Before getting to know Yang Fan, she never understood how a person could get fully irritated by someone else.
    Now she had finally understood.

This big-headed ghost must have been born just to irritate her.
    The most exasperating part was besides to her, he was very friendly and polite to other persons.
    And equally exasperating, regardless of what she said, he never became angry because of her.
    So what else could she have done?

If a man really could make a girl half dead with anger, he could not be considered too smart, but that was still very great.
    It was only a pity that such matter did not often happen.
    The majority of men were the ones who were half dead with anger by the girls.
    Therefore the majority of girls all believed that men should be the ultimate scapegoat since they were born.

END OF CHAPTER 26

Thanks for all the compliments.
    Only 6 more chapters to go.

Thanks for the update and your dedication to completing this story fastclock! Looking forward to the next 6 chapters!

Chapter 27 – Fan Yin Temple

One

Big forest on the hillside.
    This temple lay on the forest on the hillside.

Fan Yin temple.

The dim light of night was indistinct, but one might vaguely distinguish these three brush-written words on a flaky gold lacquers.

After arriving there, “the thirteen hands” had simply disappeared.

Although it was very late at night, but the temple’s large oil lamp was still shining brightly before the Buddha statue. Gloomy light actually surrounded the tall wall outside, blurred by the pale yellow dense smoke, or was it cloud or fog?

Tian SiSi sighed in the darkness, every time she came to a place like this, her heart felt very uncomfortable. She only felt that temples seemed to be inundated with dead people, coffins, scary relics, ghosts… Things that would never make people happy.

You absolutely would never hear happy laughters inside the temple, you could only hear some monotonous droning sound of the buddhist drums, like a continuous sob of a resentful woman, sometimes the incantation did sound like a sobbing sound.

She liked listening to laughters, she never liked listening to people crying.
    Now luckily no sound came out.
    Unfortunately, no sound was often the most fearful sound.

Yang Fan’s complexion was very serious.
    Tian SiSi thought that he would go in to have a look and have her and Qin Ge wait outside.
    She certainly would oppose that.
    Regardless of what Yang Fan might say, she would certainly oppose it.

Who knew that Yang Fan had not said anything, and just walked forward majestically.

Tian SiSi could not keep her calm and said, “This temple is not a very secret place.”

Yang Fan turned around and waited for what she would say.

Tian SiSi said, “But the these people are actually very important.”

Yang Fan said, “Which people?”

Tian SiSi had stared at him and said, “Certainly the golden beard and others who had become monks.”

Yang Fan said, “Oh?”

Tian SiSi said, “Since they dared to gather these people here in the temple, they could certainly guard against the possibility of us coming here.”

Yang Fan said, “Mmm.”

Tian SiSi said, “They cannot afford to let us find these people, therefore ......”

Yang Fan said, “Therefore what?”

Tian SiSi said, “Therefore I think the outlook of this temple is not that simple, there must be an ambush inside.”

Yang Fan said, “So what if there is an ambush?”

Tian SiSi said, “Since there is an ambush, we cannot just rush in like this.”

Yang Fan said, “Then we should just draw back.”

Tian SiSi said, “Since we are already here, how can we just go back!”

Yang Fan said, “We cannot go in, and we cannot go back, so what are you suggesting that we should do?”

Tian SiSi said, “We can have someone have a look inside, and the two other people wait outside to give help as needed.”
    She originally was determined to oppose this idea, but now she had said it herself.

Yang Fan unexpectedly did not seem to oppose the idea and said lightly, “Who do you think should take a look first?” Surprisingly, he felt alright asking this question. If he were another man, he would have certainly offered to volunteer first before the woman.

Tian SiSi was nipping her lips, and turned to Qin Ge.
    Unexpectedly Qin Ge also did not respond at all.
    He seemed to be a very independent individual, but after being together with this big-headed ghost he seemed to become meeker and less original.

Tian SiSi said bitterly, “What are you saying? Who do you think should advance to have a look?”

Yang Fan said lightly, “Since you raised this idea, certainly you are the one who should go.”

This pig actually felt that it was fine to let a woman be the first one in the battle front, letting the woman take the risk! Tian SiSi soon felt wild with rage, as she stamped her feet bitterly and said, “Fine, I will go first!”

Yang Fan said easily, “After you go in, if you meet with an accident, we can find a way to rescue you, whereas if we meet the danger, you will not be able to save us.”

Although he exposed his friends to danger, he was still giving plausible explanations.

Tian SiSi no longer wanted to listen to him and turned around.
    These two men really lacked prospects for a bright future, they were simply not good people, Lady Tian felt really disinclined to ever look at them again.

She walked without turning back through the stone pillars arriving at the front of the temple, and start stepping on the stone steps. She suddenly stopped.

The front gate was closed but not closed tight.
    Some faint yellow smog, light blue indistinct candlelight fluttered from the crack between the gates.
    Since the temple also had the incense and the candles, there should also be people inside.
    Since people were inside, why was there no sound?
    Did they see Tian SiSi, therefore they were calmly waiting there?
    Had they all been killed by the person to eliminate witnesses. Were they all dead?

Lady Tian was originally aroused by anger before entering the place, but now her anger had dissipated and her hands and feet had become ice-cold, she wanted very much to hold on onto a man's hands.
    In particular Yang Fan’s hands.
    His hands always seemed to be very warm, very stable, very kind, the kind of hands a girl liked to rely on.

It was only a pity that this big-headed ghost’s shadow could not even be seen.
    Qin Ge had also disappeared.
    Tian SiSi had turned around but could no longer see them.

Her hands had became colder, clammy with cold sweat, she almost could not bear shouting loudly. But Lady Tian certainly would not do that, she would rather die than being disgraced in front of this pig.

After standing for a long time at the stone steps, Lady Tian finally gathered up her courage, and pushed open the gate.

The gate was closed but not barred.
    When Tian SiSi pushed it gently, it slowly opened with a creaking sound.
    The grating sound could cause a person listening to feel even scared.

Tian SiSi clenched her teeth, stepped on the topmost stone steps, and did a quick look around.
    She could not see anything.

The courtyard was filled with the faint yellow smog, it was not really clear whether that was smoke or fog.

A faint light illuminated the hall of that temple, although the light was not bright, at least it was better than nothing.

Tian SiSi drew a long breath, and stepped forward slowly.
    She only hoped that she had not stepped on a person’s body.

Two

There was no dead people in the courtyard.
    But no live people either.

Passing through the courtyard, the light from the hall of the temple still shone.
    There was no one in that temple hall, only an incense burner stood in front of the statue that send out the faint yellow smog.

Where are the golden beard and others?
    Did they expect Lady Tian to come and find them here, therefore they had sneaked off first?

Tian SiSi clenched her teeth, and walked forward step by step, walking slowly.
    Was she afraid to see live people? Or dead people?
    She was not clear about it either.

The statue in that temple hall was all mystifying, giving a half-dead look, which permeated chilliness in this smog, causing one to feel even more fearful.

Tian SiSi had suddenly remembered Mr. Ge.
    Mr. Ge gave precisely this kind of mystifying, half-dead look.

Was he behind this idol? Maybe he was just waiting for Tian SiSi to walk by before he sprung out alive, captured her and compelled her to marry him?

Thinking about it, Tian SiSi’s legs had become so weak that she could no longer walk.
    She seemed to see a bench at one side so she took a seat.

She absolutely did not really want to sit down in this kind of situation, after sitting down, she could not sit still. She had to sit down to feel a little bit of relief. Without sitting, her legs just could not support her.

The wind blew hard from outside, sending the smog in that hall everywhere. This mystifying half-dead statue seemed to suddenly become alive, making threatening gestures, waiting to bite on people.

Tian SiSi felt the cold sweat beads dropping down on her forehead.
    “That big-headed ghost unexpectedly has really let me come inside, and now not even his shadow can be seen.”

Tian SiSi tried to think beyond her anger but she felt more hateful instead. Suddenly, she realized something very fearful.

The place that she sat on seemed to move upwards, as if someone was lifting this bench upwards.
    She mustered her courage to look below.
    Instantly, Lady Tian’s whole hair had stood up.

What she had sat on was not a bench, but the cover of a coffin.
    The coffin itself was already fearful, but the fact that this cover was slowly raising up was even more fearful.

A hand had suddenly extended from the coffin, and held on to Tian SiSi’s hands.
    The hand that was as cold as ice.

Tian SiSi’s whole body became like a jelly.
    She originally wanted to rush outside, but as her body tried to move away, she had dropped down instead, nearly fainting with fright.

If she had really fainted, perhaps that would have been better.
    But she was as sober as a monk, not only she could see everything, she could also hear everything.

From the coffin, not only the hand had extended outside, but the laughter had also suddenly filled the room. That gloomy, sneering laughter was grating to the ears like the cry of the ghosts.

Tian SiSi exhausted her whole strength before she could say loudly, “Who hides in the coffin? I know that you are a person, even if you pretend to be a ghost, that will not work.”

She could really tell that this hand belong to a live person?

END OF CHAPTER 27

Thanks fastclock.