Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peach Blossom Formation - trees that move? No, right?

Default Peach Blossom Formation - trees that move? No, right?

When TVB adapted LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES in 1982, it depicted East Heretic Wong Yerk See's "Peach Blossom Formation" quite dramatically: peach blossom trees would move from their positions and chase after intruders, spew colorful poison smoke at them, form defensive perimeters around them, and even bind intruders' limbs so that the intruders could not move (there's no modern security system that's that good).

It was fun to watch, but I'm guessing that's *not* how Jin Yong depicted the Peach Blossom Formation in the canonical novel, right? I'm guessing that the novel probably depicted the Peach Blossom Formation as yet another one of those "Five Elements Octagon" traps that are placed in certain positions to create optical illusions that disorient and thereby disable intruders. The trees don't actually move, right?

right. I'm pretty sure that the directors didn't know how to make that kind of trap. That's why they did moving trees to "confuse".
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

I'm sure that in the novels and in real life, the trees or rocks (whatever is available) are just strategically placed so that they look all the same or something, confusing the enemy.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    right. I'm pretty sure that the directors didn't know how to make that kind of trap.
    Even in 1982, the SFX required for creating confusing patterns on screen were old hat, but I'm guessing that it wasn't as fun as making trees chase after people, spew colorful smoke at them, etc. I guess the cinematographers decided they'd have a little fun with this scene rather than adapt it straight.

Is this the same adaptation where when GJ uses XL18Z, holographic dragons come out and start fighting with the opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    Is this the same adaptation where when GJ uses XL18Z, holographic dragons come out and start fighting with the opponent?
    No, I think that that was a later adaptation...ROCH '95, perhaps. In LOCH '82, CGI was still very rudimentary. They basically did *one* stock shot of Felix Wong's Gwok Jing shooting out animated palms and used it every time the Gwok Jing character used Hong Lung 18 Palms. The humorous part was that no matter what Gwok Jing was wearing when he used the palms, he would always "change" into that one particular tan and white costume (the one they filmed Felix doing the palms in) when using the palms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    No, I think that that was a later adaptation...ROCH '95, perhaps. In LOCH '82, CGI was still very rudimentary. They basically did *one* stock shot of Felix Wong's Gwok Jing shooting out animated palms and used it every time the Gwok Jing character used Hong Lung 18 Palms. The humorous part was that no matter what Gwok Jing was wearing when he used the palms, he would always "change" into that one particular tan and white costume (the one they filmed Felix doing the palms in) when using the palms.
    I remember that very well, There was a H7G version as well IIRC.

Anyway to get a screen shot of it now?

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I remember that very well, There was a H7G version as well IIRC.
    Yes, which they used only twice. That was a shame. I wish they'd used the Hung 7 Gung version a few times more.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Anyway to get a screen shot of it now?
    I had the Gwok Jing version on my previous computer at one time, but it was lost when I replaced my computer a few years ago.

OMG LOL~! My dad was watching the '82 LOCH last week, felix wong looks so young and dopey lol. Fits the role very well, such a good actor. My dad managed to buy a copy of that LOCH adaption on DVD, the video is sooo clear, so much better than the VHS we had. The extreme downside is that its all in mandarin, dubbed, the voices just sound sooo bad. At least its got the original sound effects and music, best of all, original themesong - my dad loves it.
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

Quote Originally Posted by kamii
    OMG LOL~! My dad was watching the '82 LOCH last week, felix wong looks so young and dopey lol. Fits the role very well, such a good actor. My dad managed to buy a copy of that LOCH adaption on DVD, the video is sooo clear, so much better than the VHS we had. The extreme downside is that its all in mandarin, dubbed, the voices just sound sooo bad. At least its got the original sound effects and music, best of all, original themesong - my dad loves it.
    Yes and Barbara Yung was the most convincing Huang Rong ever. None of the other actresses who did Huang Rong's role were as good as her.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodstar
    Yes and Barbara Yung was the most convincing Huang Rong ever. None of the other actresses who did Huang Rong's role were as good as her.
    Barbara Yung played the most colorful and memorable Wong Yung ever, but according to novel purists, her portrayal of Wong Yung, wonderful as it was, didn't quite capture the character. These critics say that Barbara's Wong Yung was too bratty; the actual Wong Yung from the novel was somewhat sweeter in disposition.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    the one where he shots out four golden palms, right. it was a little cool. but i prefer the XF dragons out of the palm's version from DGSD.

When TVB adapted LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES in 1982, it depicted East Heretic Wong Yerk See's "Peach Blossom Formation" quite dramatically: peach blossom trees would move from their positions and chase after intruders, spew colorful poison smoke at them, form defensive perimeters around them, and even bind intruders' limbs so that the intruders could not move (there's no modern security system that's that good).
    the trees in actually do not move, but when the intruder tries to get out, he will find the trees/shrubs blocking every path and the path he took would have disappeared from view. the paths will be only visable from certain angles, and unless you stand in the correct spot(according to the five changes eight triagram), you will not see it. the idea is meant to confuse and disorientate.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Barbara Yung played the most colorful and memorable Wong Yung ever, but according to novel purists, her portrayal of Wong Yung, wonderful as it was, didn't quite capture the character. These critics say that Barbara's Wong Yung was too bratty; the actual Wong Yung from the novel was somewhat sweeter in disposition.
    True. The Huang Rong in the novel was mischievous, yes, but she was definitely not loud or crass. Instead, she was gentler and more compassionate than the one portrayed by Barbara Yung. Zhou Xun's Huang Rong was closer to the novel in that respect.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 07-27-06 at 05:20 AM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    True. The Huang Rong in the novel was mischievous, yes, but she was definitely not loud or crass. Instead, she was gentler and more compassionate that the one portrayed by Barbara Yung. Zhou Xun's Huang Rong was closer to the novel in that respect.
    From what I hear, Andy Lau's Yeung Gor was sassier than the canonical Yeung Gor as well.

It was the 1980s, I suppose. Hong Kong youth were in a rebellious phase, so perhaps even Jin Yong characters adapted for television reflected that trend.

From what I hear, Andy Lau's Yeung Gor was sassier than the canonical Yeung Gor as well.
    Ha! Now you know why some of us novel purists really dislike the canonical Yang Guo. Andy Lau made Yang Guo a lot more bearable ... even when he is in "Gu-gu" mode.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Ha! Now you know why some of us novel purists really dislike the canonical Yang Guo. Andy Lau made Yang Guo a lot more bearable ... even when he is in "Gu-gu" mode.
    Ironically, it was Lau's "sassy" Yeung Gor that turned me off to the character.

From what I've been told, however, I might like the canonical version of the character better.

The role of Yang Guo is not easy to play though... i think most of the actors either fit the pre-16-years-separation Yang Guo role well or the post-16-years Yang Guo role well, but not both. For example in this latest version I thought Huang Xiao Ming was suited to be the older Yang Guo but he just came across as silly as the young mischievous angsty YG, not to mention he looked too old to be the teenage YG.

I thought Andy Lau did a pretty decent job... he captured that transition over the years pretty well. He didn't come across (at least to me) as being an overaged guy acting cute in the earlier bit or a young guy pretending to be mature towards the end.
    Last edited by bloodstar; 07-27-06 at 05:56 AM.

In LYP's version, the trees moved towards GJ, and backed whenever GJ used his XL18Z. I guess the newest version is not that good either.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodstar
    I thought Andy Lau did a pretty decent job... he captured that transition over the years pretty well. He didn't come across (at least to me) as being an overaged guy acting cute in the earlier bit or a young guy pretending to be mature towards the end.
    Lau did an excellent job. He's always been a good actor. I just didn't like the character that he depicted, and having not read the ROCH novel, I can't be sure if it's the way he chose to portray the character (or the way the TVB directors instructed him to portray the character) or if it's really just the way that the character is (according to Jin Yong). From what I've been able to gather, the canonical Yeung Gor has fewer of the characteristics that make him distasteful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    the one where he shots out four golden palms, right. it was a little cool. but i prefer the XF dragons out of the palm's version from DGSD.

Which DGSD was this?

The 2003 version was relatively tame, except for the scene where XF blasts "Duan Zhengchun" and the water about him turns into dragons (which, btw, was incredibly cool).