Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Drama Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Zech
    Personally I thought GTO is definitely better than Gokusen 2. (i've nv watched Gokusen 1 b4 so can't compare with that ) Gokusen 2 is pretty funny... but i thought some parts were a bit overdone esp the parts when she goes to the rescue of her students whereby she'll let down her hair, remove her specs and then come the horrendous background music... hahaha.... it was quite funny for me the first few times I saw that but when it starts repeating over and over again.. it kinda gets to me.
    It has its funny moments as well. my fav was the part when one of her students almost accidentally revealed to the whole class that she was the successor to a mafia group!
    Overall the storyline isn't as good as GTO, but it's a good alternative to a similar storyline of GTO. One thing I've got to give it to Nakama Yukie... she's really really funny esp when she was acting out those exaggerating moments! Oh yes... anyone knows the title to the song which they played when there are sadder moments?
    I watched Gokusen 1 at the insistence of a friend. It had a great cast acting as students, esp Matsu Jun, and Yukie Nakama was real spunky as the 'unorthodox' teacher but I think they were let down by the script. Haha, yeah Zech I thought the fighting bit hilarious, over dramatised and fake. Haven't had the chance to watch 2.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 06-22-05 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    Ooh, there's an Eri Fukatsu drama? I'll keep a lookout for it!

jade frosts, I hope you like "Love Revolution" too. I loved it!
    Yep, Koi no Chikara is an Eri Fukatsu drama, a 2002 production. She has a new one coming out this July, that's called Slow Dance! It has a rather impressive cast - Satoshi Tsumabuki, Naohito Fujiki, Ryoko Hirosue. The story line is a romantic one again, this time an older career woman falling in love with a younger man. I'm watching out for it because of the very talented Ms Fukatsu

I liked Love Revolution, junny, but have mixed feelings about it. Always a big fan of Makiko Esumi and Naohito Fujiki was just so confident and suave *swoon* . I thought the first half of the show was the best, with the build up in the relationship between Kyoko and Suga, but after they went their separate ways midway into the drama, it seemed to me that Love Revolution just fizzled out. What I loved to see were their scenes together (am sure everyone does), but there weren't many, and as the show progressed Kyoko turned into an indecisive person, obviously still in love with Suga but unwilling to acknowledge it (perhaps she thought it good for both of them). She was like this ping-pong ball bouncing in between Suga and Yabuki. Her wavering dragged on for quite a bit so the show lagged, and I lost interest in the end so much so that it didn't really matter if she chose Yabuki or Suga.

What did you think?

I get my dramas from auctions, buying from individuals who have hard to find titles or online for the latest fixes as well as classics. Can't live without dorama. Heh.

I just finish "Pride".....highly recommended! Not to be missed by any Kimura fan!

Can't remember whether I posted this before, but I highly recommend "Great White Tower" aka "Shoroi Kyoto"! An awesome jdorama! Don't miss it!

Eri Fukatsu is very talented indeed, I've liked her since Bayside Shakedown 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I liked Love Revolution, junny, but have mixed feelings about it. Always a big fan of Makiko Esumi and Naohito Fujiki was just so confident and suave *swoon* . I thought the first half of the show was the best, with the build up in the relationship between Kyoko and Suga, but after they went their separate ways midway into the drama, it seemed to me that Love Revolution just fizzled out. What I loved to see were their scenes together (am sure everyone does), but there weren't many, and as the show progressed Kyoko turned into an indecisive person, obviously still in love with Suga but unwilling to acknowledge it (perhaps she thought it good for both of them). She was like this ping-pong ball bouncing in between Suga and Yabuki. Her wavering dragged on for quite a bit so the show lagged, and I lost interest in the end so much so that it didn't really matter if she chose Yabuki or Suga.

What did you think?
    Agree that Suga was oh so suave in the first part , but a quite a bit of a jerk too sometimes. I liked the build-up to the relationship too, it was very sweet. My reservations about the second half of the serial were more on Yabuki, whose character turned 180 degrees into some annoying jerk-cum-stalker, it was getting on my nerves. The change just felt unnatural to me, and didn't square with the Yabuki in the first part. I was kinda hoping he'd end up with Mariko, but am glad she turned to someone else later. With that kind of character in the second part, Yabuki was a major turn-off.

As for Kyoko being indecisive... I guess that was all right for me, cuz I knew somehow she'd end up with Suga, and maybe cuz I was perverse, since I wanted to see some angst on Suga's part . Didn't like any of her scenes with Yabuki, though, didn't like him pressuring her and she wavering, it sort of went against everything she'd so painstakingly built up (character, career, etc). I loved the part where she and Suga got upset with each other over the malpractice incident at the hospital.

As for the last bit at the airport (after Mariko's wedding), I felt it was a bit redundant, they could have just gotten Kyoko and Suga to move their butts to the countryside.
    玉木宏

blog

Agree that Suga was oh so suave in the first part , but a quite a bit of a jerk too sometimes. I liked the build-up to the relationship too, it was very sweet. My reservations about the second half of the serial were more on Yabuki, whose character turned 180 degrees into some annoying jerk-cum-stalker, it was getting on my nerves. The change just felt unnatural to me, and didn't square with the Yabuki in the first part. I was kinda hoping he'd end up with Mariko, but am glad she turned to someone else later. With that kind of character in the second part, Yabuki was a major turn-off.

As for Kyoko being indecisive... I guess that was all right for me, cuz I knew somehow she'd end up with Suga, and maybe cuz I was perverse, since I wanted to see some angst on Suga's part . Didn't like any of her scenes with Yabuki, though, didn't like him pressuring her and she wavering, it sort of went against everything she'd so painstakingly built up (character, career, etc). I loved the part where she and Suga got upset with each other over the malpractice incident at the hospital.

As for the last bit at the airport (after Mariko's wedding), I felt it was a bit redundant, they could have just gotten Kyoko and Suga to move their butts to the countryside.
    Haha, yeah Suga was an utter cad sometimes, but infinitely more charming than Yabuki. I agree with you that Yabuki was an irritant factor in the second half, argh and I can't get over how spiteful Mariko was to Kyoko just because Yabuki wasn't into her. There were some scenes that they could have done without (like you said) and instead spent more time developing the relationship between the two lead characters...it was ultimately a nice ride, but could have been better.

In that way Koi no Chikara is way way more addictive to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by il_mare
    I just finish "Pride".....highly recommended! Not to be missed by any Kimura fan!

Can't remember whether I posted this before, but I highly recommend "Great White Tower" aka "Shoroi Kyoto"! An awesome jdorama! Don't miss it!
    Pride is cool! I loved the ice hockey bits esp. Can't help but think it better than Kimutaku's current drama Engine, which has remained rather bland since the first episode. None of the cast were outstanding and that's troubling, though that could possibly be because the plot's focus is on the children in the foster care facility, and that many are raw actors.

Haha, yeah Suga was an utter cad sometimes, but infinitely more charming than Yabuki. I agree with you that Yabuki was an irritant factor in the second half, argh and I can't get over how spiteful Mariko was to Kyoko just because Yabuki wasn't into her. There were some scenes that they could have done without (like you said) and instead spent more time developing the relationship between the two lead characters...it was ultimately a nice ride, but could have been better.

In that way Koi no Chikara is way way more addictive to watch.
    Hehehe. That drama is looking more interesting by the minute. Hope I'll be able to see it soon.

I think Mariko's actions were somewhat justified, because Yabuki kinda embarrassed her in public (that love declaration for Kyoko during the play). It was more or less obvious that Mariko and Yabuki were going out, and he was just as bad being with her while still having feelings for Kyoko. He took her as a substitute. I don't blame her for being angry.

I was confused by Suga's reaction, though. Was it really that much of a shock that he had to cancel the wedding, and in front of all the guests?
    玉木宏

blog

Hehehe. That drama is looking more interesting by the minute. Hope I'll be able to see it soon.

I think Mariko's actions were somewhat justified, because Yabuki kinda embarrassed her in public (that love declaration for Kyoko during the play). It was more or less obvious that Mariko and Yabuki were going out, and he was just as bad being with her while still having feelings for Kyoko. He took her as a substitute. I don't blame her for being angry.

I was confused by Suga's reaction, though. Was it really that much of a shock that he had to cancel the wedding, and in front of all the guests?
    Mariko had a right to be angry, but she should not have gone and spouted Kyoko's woes to Suga because Kyoko was an innocent party. She had no right to interfere, and since she indirectly caused the botched wedding, I frown on her actions.

Yeah, Suga was really a jerk. I still can't believe that he declared he couldn't marry Kyoko in front of all the guests and not offer her any explanation. I couldn't help but wonder at the depth of their relationship.

Yabuki was another jerk because he wasn't into Mariko. He didn't really seem interested in Mariko though she was all over him ... Maybe he wanted female attention, but it sure seemed that it was more physical than anything else from the very start. What a guy!!!

Oh they're so messed up. Heh

really? Any other good shows?

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    really? Any other good shows?
    What genre do you like? I'm pretty biased because I'll recommend shows with my fav actors in them , but there're definitely many hidden gems other than those popular idol dramas.

Mariko had a right to be angry, but she should not have gone and spouted Kyoko's woes to Suga because Kyoko was an innocent party. She had no right to interfere, and since she indirectly caused the botched wedding, I frown on her actions.

Yeah, Suga was really a jerk. I still can't believe that he declared he couldn't marry Kyoko in front of all the guests and not offer her any explanation. I couldn't help but wonder at the depth of their relationship.

Yabuki was another jerk because he wasn't into Mariko. He didn't really seem interested in Mariko though she was all over him ... Maybe he wanted female attention, but it sure seemed that it was more physical than anything else from the very start. What a guy!!!

Oh they're so messed up. Heh
    Hahaha, how true! I think Suga realised the depth of what he'd lost after he split with Kyoko, at least that's what I like to think. It prompted a change in his ethics and work attitude.

Mariko... ah, well. Maybe I sympathise with her a bit more because I know what it's like to fall for a guy who doesn't give a damn about you. Sigh.

As for Yabuki... spot on. I don't think he could love Kyoko the way Suga eventually did. He just wanted something new, and since Kyoko didn't respond to him the way Mariko did, he probably thought she was a challenge (the fact that he couldn't stand Suga was added motivation, I guess). Maybe he was redeemed in the end when he let Kyoko go to Suga, but it was too little too late.

But I guess that's why we like watching J-dramas. Nothing's straightforward or overly unrealistic, and we can relate to the characters. I like that they're not that predictable and am thankful for the reduced melodrama!

Seen Over Time?
    玉木宏

blog

Hahaha, how true! I think Suga realised the depth of what he'd lost after he split with Kyoko, at least that's what I like to think. It prompted a change in his ethics and work attitude.
    Haha nice thought.

As for Yabuki... spot on. I don't think he could love Kyoko the way Suga eventually did. He just wanted something new, and since Kyoko didn't respond to him the way Mariko did, he probably thought she was a challenge (the fact that he couldn't stand Suga was added motivation, I guess). Maybe he was redeemed in the end when he let Kyoko go to Suga, but it was too little too late.

But I guess that's why we like watching J-dramas. Nothing's straightforward or overly unrealistic, and we can relate to the characters. I like that they're not that predictable and am thankful for the reduced melodrama!

Seen Over Time?
    Naohito is the man that made Love Revolution worth sticking through...Manabu Oshio was alright, but as you said, progressively annoying.

Haha yeah I love j-drama as you said it. Sometimes they go into fluff overdrive but most times, the stories are varied, have enough depth and character development to make you wish it'd keep going on and on and on.

Well, I watched hmm, maybe at most 2 eps of Over Time. Enough to know that Makiko Esumi's character didn't end up with Takeshi Sorimachi's because he thought that was the best decision he could make for her sake? I suppose that's why I didn't want to watch it in its entirety for I might be annoyed at such a ending, though I watch almost everything Makiko Esumi acts in. The OST is very nice though.

Haha yeah I love j-drama as you said it. Sometimes they go into fluff overdrive but most times, the stories are varied, have enough depth and character development to make you wish it'd keep going on and on and on.
    Fluff overdrive reminds me of Love Generation, though I felt it was not a bad show (but still didn't measure up to Overtime). It was a very idealistic show, but nonetheless still a classic.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Well, I watched hmm, maybe at most 2 eps of Over Time. Enough to know that Makiko Esumi's character didn't end up with Takeshi Sorimachi's because he thought that was the best decision he could make for her sake? I suppose that's why I didn't want to watch it in its entirety for I might be annoyed at such a ending, though I watch almost everything Makiko Esumi acts in. The OST is very nice though.
    Aww. You should watch the whole serial. I'm sure you'll like it. It's the development of the chemistry and friendship between Esumi and Sorimachi's characters that's really the highlight. I suppose there's a touch of nobility to Sorimachi's ultimate act of gifting his love to someone else, but that's what makes it more bittersweet, to know that something like that can happen even though two people seem to be so good together.

Yes, the OST is lovely. I love the theme song, though I have no idea what the lyrics are about.
    玉木宏

blog

What genre do you like? I'm pretty biased because I'll recommend shows with my fav actors in them , but there're definitely many hidden gems other than those popular idol dramas.
    Well any show that is funny and with a happy ending. Not too tear jearky. But most important is the happy ending. I am a sucker for happy endings. Can't stand the everybody dies crap these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    Well any show that is funny and with a happy ending. Not too tear jearky. But most important is the happy ending. I am a sucker for happy endings. Can't stand the everybody dies crap these days.
    You might like to try Gokusen, it's pretty funny (check out the Headmaster's ridiculous hair), mainly because it's adapted from a manga.

However like others have said in the above posts, they found GTO better than Gokusen. I don't know whether it is funnier, since I haven't watched it, but you might like to give them a try.

In contrast to K Dramas, J doramas with happy endings aren't very hard to find. Most dramas I've watched mostly have pretty 'happy' endings, and most I've watched aren't tear jerkers (with the exception of Kamisama mou sukoshi dake, or 'Precious Time' starring Kyoko Fukada and Takeshi Kaneshiro). Basically, most J doramas won't give you sad endings that launch you into a sobbing frenzy...

Of course, try to avoid those dark dramas like Koori no Sekai (Ice World), Nemureru Mori (Sleeping Forest), Suna no Utsuwa (Vessel of Sand). They definitely aren't comedy material and most of them (not all) have depressing endings.
    Last edited by velvet_ice; 06-25-05 at 12:21 AM.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Quote Originally Posted by velvet_ice
    Fluff overdrive reminds me of Love Generation, though I felt it was not a bad show (but still didn't measure up to Overtime). It was a very idealistic show, but nonetheless still a classic.
    Haha. I've haven't watched Love Generation either. Must be missing lots.

Are you watching Tiger & Dragon with subs? I saw the Ep1 while in Japan, and had problem following because of the rakugo. Maybe the way Nagase speaks too. But it looked like a hoot. Must be a fun one. I'm swopping dramas with a friend so haven't got to watch it yet.

Been following Kimutaku's latest, Engine, and must declare great disappointment (not that I expected much when I read the Japanese synopsis). Engine is like an overly indulgent drama, where Kimura Takuya adopts his usual nonchalant, cool persona (that we've seen in Pride and Good Luck), but this time round it gets very grating (to me at least) when he deals with the kids at the foster care facility. Perhaps less predictability is good; more chemistry with Koyuki and maybe less annoying kids? would have been good. Only sticking around for the race car bits (not enough of that though).

In that department, am sure Koi ni Ochitara won't disappoint, although it's predictable! Tsutsumi Shinichi!!!

Aww. You should watch the whole serial. I'm sure you'll like it. It's the development of the chemistry and friendship between Esumi and Sorimachi's characters that's really the highlight. I suppose there's a touch of nobility to Sorimachi's ultimate act of gifting his love to someone else, but that's what makes it more bittersweet, to know that something like that can happen even though two people seem to be so good together.

Yes, the OST is lovely. I love the theme song, though I have no idea what the lyrics are about.
    Now that you recommend, I should get my hands on it. Swamped with too many jdramas now...must savour them slowly. Heh.

LG was probably the first drama which propelled the Kimura Takuya-Matsu Takako onscreen pairing to the no1 spot in Japan at that time.

Are you watching Tiger & Dragon with subs? I saw the Ep1 while in Japan, and had problem following because of the rakugo. Maybe the way Nagase speaks too. But it looked like a hoot. Must be a fun one. I'm swopping dramas with a friend so haven't got to watch it yet.
    Yup, I'm watching it with subs. I wouldn't be able to understand a thing otherwise. Because:

1) I don't really understand Japanese
    2) Even if I did, the characters speak way too fast
    3) I think they use a lot of Yazuka slang there, because Nagase's character is a yazuka henchman.

You're right, it's a hoot. It's pretty funny, and I think each episode is rather meaningful.

You watched it in Japan without subs ? You understand Japanese?

Been following Kimutaku's latest, Engine, and must declare great disappointment (not that I expected much when I read the Japanese synopsis). Engine is like an overly indulgent drama, where Kimura Takuya adopts his usual nonchalant, cool persona (that we've seen in Pride and Good Luck), but this time round it gets very grating (to me at least) when he deals with the kids at the foster care facility. Perhaps less predictability is good; more chemistry with Koyuki and maybe less annoying kids? would have been good. Only sticking around for the race car bits (not enough of that though).
    whoa. I was about to get this drama. I thought the cast was rather strong. Guess its a case of repetitive storylines huh. Yeah, I agree. Lately, Kimura Takuya has taken on those stereotypical roles, seen recently in Pride, and now that you mention it, Engine. I'm hoping to see him take on a different kind of role all together.
    -velvet_ice-

Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Well, not really. I wasn't quite into Love Generation. Some parts are skippable, and you'll won't miss much, I guess.

Have seen neither Pride nor Engine, so can't comment. Still vividly remember the Kimura Takuya-Matsu Takako pairing in Hero, that was a good drama for me. Anyone seen that?

Oh, and has anyone seen Ice World? I liked it! velvet_ice, I think you've seen it, since you mentioned it to The Khan. Thoughts??
    玉木宏

blog

Well, not really. I wasn't quite into Love Generation. Some parts are skippable, and you'll won't miss much, I guess.
    Did you watch it way after it's release? Haha, because LG was pretty much what made the Kimura Takuya - Matsu Takako pairing famous. But you're right, some parts are quite repetitive. Now, I may be biased towards LG 'cos it was the first ever J dorama I ever watched.

Have seen neither Pride nor Engine, so can't comment. Still vividly remember the Kimura Takuya-Matsu Takako pairing in Hero, that was a good drama for me. Anyone seen that?
    Me, I 've seen Hero! If you were to ask me, I liked the chemistry between Kimura Takuya and Matsu Takako in there (better than in LG, in fact). However I was watching in traditional chinese subs and I had quite a hard time understanding a few 'cases' because the chinese 'law (?)' terms were too complicated for me to comprehend. Sometimes, I even had to pause the drama to catch what was going on.

There wasn't any real romance going on between Kuryu and Amamiya, just a few hints here and there. But both characters, Kuryu and Amamiya, were equally quirky and that's what I liked about them. Their quirky personas threw in some light-hearted moments in what would otherwise have been a serious show about public prosecutors. Just a simple example to highlight this - Amamiya's reaction towards Kuryu when he does the weirdest things, like exercising in his office.

But the thing about this show is that, not only did the leads stand out, I think the rest of the supporting cast did a good job. Without them, the show probably wouldn't have been as interesting as it was. I remember Abe Hiroshi, the loving dad who's cheating on his wife. Kohinata Fumiyo (小日向文世) the prosecutor's assistant... I felt they did great in the drama.

By the way, there was a more recent drama about lawyers as well, it's called 'Beginner'. Anyone heard of it? I haven't watched it but I heard it was pretty good.

Oh, and has anyone seen Ice World? I liked it! velvet_ice, I think you've seen it, since you mentioned it to The Khan. Thoughts??
    Oops, sorry to mislead you. Hehe, no, I haven't watched it yet, I only know its storyline and was telling The Khan it's a dark drama. I'd really love to watch those dark dramas I highlighted above to The Khan, especially Suna no Utsuwa. It's just that I can't get my hands on them.
    -velvet_ice-