Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Drama Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by velvet_ice
    Yup, I'm watching it with subs. I wouldn't be able to understand a thing otherwise. Because:

1) I don't really understand Japanese
    2) Even if I did, the characters speak way too fast
    3) I think they use a lot of Yazuka slang there, because Nagase's character is a yazuka henchman.

You're right, it's a hoot. It's pretty funny, and I think each episode is rather meaningful.

You watched it in Japan without subs ? You understand Japanese?
    Haha, I'm looking forward to it. My friend and her bro have been raving about it too. They do seem to like pairing Okada and Nagase together. Not that I'm complaining...hehe but Nagase really towers over Okada! I never knew Okada was of a slim built till I saw them on the set in one of the V6 variety episodes while in Japan.

Yeah I understand some Japanese. Not enough but possibly enough to get by with the general gist if they speak at a reasonable speed. Kyuumei Byoutou 24 Hr III Ep1 was quite easy to comprehend minus the medical terminology.

whoa. I was about to get this drama. I thought the cast was rather strong. Guess its a case of repetitive storylines huh. Yeah, I agree. Lately, Kimura Takuya has taken on those stereotypical roles, seen recently in Pride, and now that you mention it, Engine. I'm hoping to see him take on a different kind of role all together.
    You have to judge for yourself. I might be too harsh a critic. I like Kimutaku enough, but this drama just doesn't work. One can predict what will happen after watching the first episode, that really douses the enthusiasm. Everyone expects him to be a ratings success...but I suppose I'm not alone here, since Engine only registered an average 22% compared with his earlier dramas. Hero, as you guys were talking about, is a finer production. Matsu Takako and Kimutaku had great chemistry, fleshed out interesting characters and yeah I enjoyed Abe Hiroshi's role too! The cases were also interesting.

Did you watch it way after it's release? Haha, because LG was pretty much what made the Kimura Takuya - Matsu Takako pairing famous. But you're right, some parts are quite repetitive. Now, I may be biased towards LG 'cos it was the first ever J dorama I ever watched.
    LG is your first jdrama. Hmm, mine, as far as I can remember, was Kekkon Shiyouyo (Let's Get Married!) starring Yosuke Eguchi and Hikari Ishida. Yosuke Eguchi plays an architect who's going through a slump in his career and family life. He needed to find a new mother for his son, or his ex-wife take custody of the boy when he turns 6 or 7. So he and Hikari Ishida enter into a marriage of convenience. Ah, the plot was quite thin, though it was charming and sweet, with a happy-ever-after ending. With Yosuke Eguchi acting, I was quite happy to sit through the whole drama!

By the way, there was a more recent drama about lawyers as well, it's called 'Beginner'. Anyone heard of it? I haven't watched it but I heard it was pretty good.
    I watched Beginner. It was great! But a word of caution: it is loaded with lots of legal terminology. If you found Hero tough going, this will definitely require you to pause your vcd more often (the Chinese subs don't always do justice also). The legal jargon and case discussions that form much of the drama is in no way boring because of the stellar cast (well I liked most of them, although I found Mimura a bit annoying, because she was the starry eyed, sweet character), and a well developed script that depicts a group of students - with differing backgrounds, ambitions, motivations - who have passed the law exam and form an unlikely, "motley" study group. Tsutsumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko were my favs in the drama. Some people didn't like it though, because they thought it was like watching Jeopardy.

Did you watch it way after it's release? Haha, because LG was pretty much what made the Kimura Takuya - Matsu Takako pairing famous. But you're right, some parts are quite repetitive. Now, I may be biased towards LG 'cos it was the first ever J dorama I ever watched.
    LOL. I can't remember what my first dorama was, so long ago! I think I might have caught bits of Oshin when I was a kid, and vaguely still remember Momoe Yamaguchi and her hubby (are they still together?). LG... it was a lot of fluff and not a bad watch, but probably not something I'd revisit in a hurry.

Me, I 've seen Hero! If you were to ask me, I liked the chemistry between Kimura Takuya and Matsu Takako in there (better than in LG, in fact). However I was watching in traditional chinese subs and I had quite a hard time understanding a few 'cases' because the chinese 'law (?)' terms were too complicated for me to comprehend. Sometimes, I even had to pause the drama to catch what was going on.

There wasn't any real romance going on between Kuryu and Amamiya, just a few hints here and there. But both characters, Kuryu and Amamiya, were equally quirky and that's what I liked about them. Their quirky personas threw in some light-hearted moments in what would otherwise have been a serious show about public prosecutors. Just a simple example to highlight this - Amamiya's reaction towards Kuryu when he does the weirdest things, like exercising in his office.

But the thing about this show is that, not only did the leads stand out, I think the rest of the supporting cast did a good job. Without them, the show probably wouldn't have been as interesting as it was. I remember Abe Hiroshi, the loving dad who's cheating on his wife. Kohinata Fumiyo (小日向文世) the prosecutor's assistant... I felt they did great in the drama.
    Agree with you about Kuryu and Amamiya. I liked the quirkiness of their characters, and I thought Kimura did a great job portraying Kuryu and his "I refuse to bow down to convention" attitude. It was done in such a way that it wasn't annoying, but endearing. I thought that was one of his best serials, to be honest. Didn't see much of Good Luck, but didn't like what I saw either. Sleeping Forest... ehhh, caught some of it and his character seemed a bit jerky.

And I thought Matsu Takako did very well in Hero too, even though the focus was all on Kimura/Kuryu. Much better than her turn in Long Vacation, but that's understandable since I think LV was her first dorama? One of her firsts, at least. And yes, the chemistry between her and Kimura was more obvious.

As for the cases, I had the benefit of watching it with English subs, since it was shown on my local tv sometime back. So no problems with understanding the legal terms, though I'd be hard put to remember the cases now. Getting old!

Aww, haven't seen any of the other doramas that you and jade_frosts mentioned. Ack. Anyone post a pic of Matsuyuki Yasuko? Don't recall having seen her anywhere.

Oops, sorry to mislead you. Hehe, no, I haven't watched it yet, I only know its storyline and was telling The Khan it's a dark drama. I'd really love to watch those dark dramas I highlighted above to The Khan, especially Suna no Utsuwa. It's just that I can't get my hands on them.
    Ahh, I see. No probs. I thought it was quite a good dorama, first time I saw the Matsushima Nanako-Takenouchi Yutaka pairing. I hear they ended up not liking each other by the end of the serial??

jade_frosts, have you seen it?
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    They do seem to like pairing Okada and Nagase together. Not that I'm complaining...hehe but Nagase really towers over Okada! I never knew Okada was of a slim built till I saw them on the set in one of the V6 variety episodes while in Japan.
    They do? Where elsde did they pair them together? You know, Okada and Nagase - they remind me of Pinky and the Brain - just the difference in height. Ok. Warped logic... But you should see how Ito Misaki (Okada's love interest in the show) towers over Okada. And the scriptwriters made it very apparent too, with Okada's character complaining about the height difference blatantly. It's quite funny seeing them as a couple

Yeah I understand some Japanese. Not enough but possibly enough to get by with the general gist if they speak at a reasonable speed.
    Through lessons? I'm thinking of taking some Japanese lessons.

LG is your first jdrama.
    Yeah, I started late. I almost didn't want to watch it because I thought it was the J craze that had spread throughout S'pore at that time just a passing 'fad'. Fortunately, my brother succeeded in persuading me to watch J doramas. I'm so glad I sat down and gave J drama a try - once I started with LG, I realised that there were many more dramas which were even better. I tried to give K drama a go but I gave up in the end. hehe.

With Yosuke Eguchi acting, I was quite happy to sit through the whole drama!
    I would be too!

I watched Beginner. It was great! But a word of caution: it is loaded with lots of legal terminology. If you found Hero tough going, this will definitely require you to pause your vcd more often (the Chinese subs don't always do justice also). The legal jargon and case discussions that form much of the drama is in no way boring because of the stellar cast (well I liked most of them, although I found Mimura a bit annoying, because she was the starry eyed, sweet character), and a well developed script that depicts a group of students - with differing backgrounds, ambitions, motivations - who have passed the law exam and form an unlikely, "motley" study group. Tsutsumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko were my favs in the drama. Some people didn't like it though, because they thought it was like watching Jeopardy.
    So I heard - that it was good, and that it had lots of legal terminology. Even some native Japanese had trouble understanding, I heard. If I ever get this drama, I'm going to get one with English subs. There is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to catch up if it's subbed in Traditional Chinese (I'm crap at reading traditional chinese at fast speeds). Don't want to pause every 10 minutes - just takes away the satisfaction of watching a good J dorama. Tsutumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko are veterans, they haven't disappointed me at all so far, so I'd think I'd be most interested in their character sub-plot.

Could you tell me more about both characters' backgrounds?
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    I thought Kimura did a great job portraying Kuryu and his "I refuse to bow down to convention" attitude. It was done in such a way that it wasn't annoying, but endearing. I thought that was one of his best serials, to be honest.
    I thought so too. I liked Kimura Takuya the most in Hero, though I guess that isn't exactly fair because I haven't watched A LOT of his dramas.

And I thought Matsu Takako did very well in Hero too, even though the focus was all on Kimura/Kuryu. Much better than her turn in Long Vacation, but that's understandable since I think LV was her first dorama? One of her firsts, at least. And yes, the chemistry between her and Kimura was more obvious.
    Yeah, Matsu Takako had very immature roles to take on in LV and LG. Hero was where she started taking on a more mature role (albeit quirky.), and that made me sit up and take notice.

Aww, haven't seen any of the other doramas that you and jade_frosts mentioned. Ack. Anyone post a pic of Matsuyuki Yasuko? Don't recall having seen her anywhere.
    Matsuyuki Yasuko can be considered a veteran in Japanese showbiz now, (though she's not old) but despite her great talent in acting, she doesn't seem to be as popular as the likes of Matsu Takako, Matsushima Nanako etc. It's a shame. I think she should be given more roles to take on. To date, she's acted in some doramas are pretty good like 'Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji 2 (Emergency Ward 24 hrs 2)', 'Suna no Utsuwa (vessel of sand), and of course 'Beginner'.

Here's her picture (not really up to date) and a really brief profile, plus her filmography from jdorama.com.
    She's one of my favourite actresses.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Yeah she was very raw in LV. She improved tremendously by the time she did Hero. Hmm, apparently Lieutenant - Ninzaburo Furuhata 1 was her first drama (done in the same year as LV).

Anyone post a pic of Matsuyuki Yasuko? Don't recall having seen her anywhere.
    As velvet_ice said, Matsuyuki Yasuko is a veteran actress. Unfortunately she has not been getting many meaty high profile roles despite being a great actress. She looks really good playing the sophisticated femme fatale. Heh. She was in Mayonaka Ame (Midnight Rain) too with Oda Yuji, Abe Hiroshi, Ken Ishiguro. It was quite a good show though a bit dark (in the literal sense too). She had terrible hair though. Maggie mee like curls which I didn't quite fancy.

Ahh, I see. No probs. I thought it was quite a good dorama, first time I saw the Matsushima Nanako-Takenouchi Yutaka pairing. I hear they ended up not liking each other by the end of the serial??

jade_frosts, have you seen it?
    Oh nooo, haven't watched Koori no Sekai. I tried watching an episode or two, but I couldn't sit through it, perhaps I should give it a try sometime soon. In fact, I've never seen Yutaka Takenouchi in any drama. Why didn't they like each other? Come to think of it, Yutaka Takenouchi's star fell ever since Dekichatta Kekkon, hasn't it?

They do? Where elsde did they pair them together? You know, Okada and Nagase - they remind me of Pinky and the Brain - just the difference in height. Ok. Warped logic... But you should see how Ito Misaki (Okada's love interest in the show) towers over Okada. And the scriptwriters made it very apparent too, with Okada's character complaining about the height difference blatantly. It's quite funny seeing them as a couple
    Haha what a comparison to draw! But they are a quirky, interesting combination aren't they? Well they were in one other drama together - D X D (Dangerous Angel x Death Hunter) which is about the supernatural. A rather tacky sounding name...don't know how the drama is like though. Yeah I saw Okada with Ito Misaki in Ep1. The part where they were at one of those makeshift ramen stalls and she was sticking her head out of Nagase's car. I didn't expect him to be that interested in her 'cos I thought she was Nagase's girl? It was amusing, though I don't really think Ito Misaki is a very competent actress - she always acts such type of roles.

Through lessons? I'm thinking of taking some Japanese lessons.
    Ah hah. I've been learning Japanese for 2 years. It's a pain, as much as I like to watch jdrama. I don't think my brain is structured in the right manner to fully accept the intricacies of the Japanese language. It does get rather frustrating, they have so many words with the same meaning that can only be used in certain situations. And the grammar is just mindboggling. I appreciated Chinese so much more after I started with Japanese.

I'm so glad I sat down and gave J drama a try - once I started with LG, I realised that there were many more dramas which were even better. I tried to give K drama a go but I gave up in the end. hehe.
    I'm glad you did too. Similarly haven't taken too well with kdrama. Only survived watching 3 kdramas so far...well 2.5 actually since I only watched Lovers in Paris only for the sights of France. Hehe.

So I heard - that it was good, and that it had lots of legal terminology. Even some native Japanese had trouble understanding, I heard. If I ever get this drama, I'm going to get one with English subs. There is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to catch up if it's subbed in Traditional Chinese (I'm crap at reading traditional chinese at fast speeds). Don't want to pause every 10 minutes - just takes away the satisfaction of watching a good J dorama. Tsutumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko are veterans, they haven't disappointed me at all so far, so I'd think I'd be most interested in their character sub-plot.

Could you tell me more about both characters' backgrounds?
    Haha talk about growing old junny, I'm having problem recalling the details of a show I watched just a year ago. Man...this is bad. Well, let me give my best shot.

Tsutsumi Shinichi plays Kirihara Yuuhei, a former elite official with the Finance Ministry who has fallen from grace. His is a arrogant, no nonsense character who deigns himself to be superior to the rest. Having enjoyed a luxurious, lavish life, Kirihara takes things for granted and is insensitive to the fact that life has not been as kind to others around him. His disgrace has also left him dejected.

Matsuyuki Yasuko stars as a former gangster chief's moll, Morino Nozomi. An intelligent, perceptive, and strong-willed person Morino Nozomi struggles to lay her "seedy" past to rest in her attempt to become an upholder of the law. She doesn't have it easy though, because mistrust abounds. The school also fears that those from her past will come back into her life and attempt to manipulate her to their benefit when she decides to become a public prosecutor.

Kirihara meets his match in Morino, and grows to respect her. She's the perfect foil to his arrogance. The chemistry between the two of them sizzles. I loved their scenes best. The two characters often engage in petty squabbles and often alternate between aloof behaviour and subtle displays of care and concern. Hot!

How will you find an English subbed copy? I made do with the Chinese one. Couldn't wait.

Matsuyuki Yasuko can be considered a veteran in Japanese showbiz now, (though she's not old) but despite her great talent in acting, she doesn't seem to be as popular as the likes of Matsu Takako, Matsushima Nanako etc. It's a shame. I think she should be given more roles to take on. To date, she's acted in some doramas are pretty good like 'Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji 2 (Emergency Ward 24 hrs 2)', 'Suna no Utsuwa (vessel of sand), and of course 'Beginner'.

Here's her picture (not really up to date) and a really brief profile, plus her filmography from jdorama.com.
    She's one of my favourite actresses.
    As velvet_ice said, Matsuyuki Yasuko is a veteran actress. Unfortunately she has not been getting many meaty high profile roles despite being a great actress. She looks really good playing the sophisticated femme fatale. Heh. She was in Mayonaka Ame (Midnight Rain) too with Oda Yuji, Abe Hiroshi, Ken Ishiguro. It was quite a good show though a bit dark (in the literal sense too). She had terrible hair though. Maggie mee like curls which I didn't quite fancy.
    Ah, okay. Took a look at the link velvet_ice provided, don't really remember having seen her anywhere, though she does look pretty and elegant. Haven't watched the doramas she starred in too, but should probably try to invest in one so that I can see her in action (or hope that my TV station shows one of her serials soon!). Any particular reason why she's not really getting the meatier stuff to flex her acting chops?

I remember Oda Yuji from Bayside Shakedown 2. I thought he looked a bit like Alan Tam!

Oh nooo, haven't watched Koori no Sekai. I tried watching an episode or two, but I couldn't sit through it, perhaps I should give it a try sometime soon. In fact, I've never seen Yutaka Takenouchi in any drama. Why didn't they like each other? Come to think of it, Yutaka Takenouchi's star fell ever since Dekichatta Kekkon, hasn't it?
    Didn't watch Long Vacation? Yutaka was there, as Shinji, Minami's younger brother. As for him allegedly not getting along with Nanako... well, that was in some article I read a long time ago, and I'm not sure if it was true, but I've never seen Nanako with Yutaka in any other serial. Kind of a pity, cuz I thought they looked good together in Koori no Sekai.

What's Dekichatta Kekkon? As you can see, I don't speak a word of Japanese,
    玉木宏

blog

Ah, okay. Took a look at the link velvet_ice provided, don't really remember having seen her anywhere, though she does look pretty and elegant. Haven't watched the doramas she starred in too, but should probably try to invest in one so that I can see her in action (or hope that my TV station shows one of her serials soon!). Any particular reason why she's not really getting the meatier stuff to flex her acting chops?
    Yeah she's indeed as you described She apparently wanted to become a fashion designer. Don't know for certain why she hasn't been given the opportunity to helm higher profile dramas but I'll hazard a guess: she's not very young, doesn't really have the star power to draw in the ratings (like the big household names: Nanako, Yuko Takeuchi, Yukie Nakama). Not sure how roles are assigned. Perhaps they have to audition for them and she's rather particular about the types of characters she wants to portray.

Well that's not to say those in supporting or lower profile roles won't get their break. I think Abe Hiroshi and Tsutsumi Shinichi have made quite an impact in the entertainment world despite their age. I hope women get similar treatment and opportunities.

I remember Oda Yuji from Bayside Shakedown 2. I thought he looked a bit like Alan Tam!
    Haha, that's a hilarious thought.

Didn't watch Long Vacation? Yutaka was there, as Shinji, Minami's younger brother. As for him allegedly not getting along with Nanako... well, that was in some article I read a long time ago, and I'm not sure if it was true, but I've never seen Nanako with Yutaka in any other serial. Kind of a pity, cuz I thought they looked good together in Koori no Sekai.

What's Dekichatta Kekkon? As you can see, I don't speak a word of Japanese,
    Ahhh...I forgot completely about him. Come to think of it, I've watched LV and With Love (which I hated pretty much because it seemed a rather lame show). Unlike Yosuke Eguchi, it was quite a pain sitting through the whole of With Love.

Dekichatta Kekkon = Shotgun wedding. The one he acted with Ryoko Hirosue.

Ah hah. I've been learning Japanese for 2 years. It's a pain, as much as I like to watch jdrama. I don't think my brain is structured in the right manner to fully accept the intricacies of the Japanese language. It does get rather frustrating, they have so many words with the same meaning that can only be used in certain situations. And the grammar is just mindboggling. I appreciated Chinese so much more after I started with Japanese.
    Are you currently learning it? Yeah, my friends have warned me that it can get tough - I feel like kicking myself actually, had a chance one year, but picked another language to learn instead.

I'm glad you did too. Similarly haven't taken too well with kdrama. Only survived watching 3 kdramas so far...well 2.5 actually since I only watched Lovers in Paris only for the sights of France. Hehe.
    The thing is that J doramas are short, but not so short as to not leave any impression at all. It's quite a challenge fitting a story into 11 episodes. K dramas, on the other hand, are so loooong.... and I got bored after awhile. Not that I have anything against it, it's just that I prefer J dramas.

Kirihara meets his match in Morino, and grows to respect her. She's the perfect foil to his arrogance. The chemistry between the two of them sizzles. I loved their scenes best. The two characters often engage in petty squabbles and often alternate between aloof behaviour and subtle displays of care and concern. Hot!
    Kind of reminds me of Shindo and Kosaka. Shindo's the super doc whom everyone didn't dare challenge, until an initially arrogant Kosaka came along.

How will you find an English subbed copy? I made do with the Chinese one. Couldn't wait.
    Heh. When there's a will, there's a way... I'll try by all means.

on't know for certain why she hasn't been given the opportunity to helm higher profile dramas but I'll hazard a guess: she's not very young, doesn't really have the star power to draw in the ratings (like the big household names: Nanako, Yuko Takeuchi, Yukie Nakama). Not sure how roles are assigned. Perhaps they have to audition for them and she's rather particular about the types of characters she wants to portray.
    Agreed. I would say her talents in acting are up there, comparable to those bigname stars, but because she doesn't have the popularity (why, I don't know. Perhaps not enough hit dramas?!), she doesn't get as many opportunities as the rest. I checked her site and apparently, she's involved in many stage plays now. Perhaps she's thinking of focusing more on plays... but if that's so, good for her, but we'll be seeing less of her then - a shame.
    Last edited by velvet_ice; 06-28-05 at 11:11 AM.
    -velvet_ice-

Yeah she's indeed as you described She apparently wanted to become a fashion designer. Don't know for certain why she hasn't been given the opportunity to helm higher profile dramas but I'll hazard a guess: she's not very young, doesn't really have the star power to draw in the ratings (like the big household names: Nanako, Yuko Takeuchi, Yukie Nakama). Not sure how roles are assigned. Perhaps they have to audition for them and she's rather particular about the types of characters she wants to portray.
    Agreed. I would say her talents in acting are up there, comparable to those bigname stars, but because she doesn't have the popularity (why, I don't know. Perhaps not enough hit dramas?!), she doesn't get as many opportunities as the rest. I checked her site and apparently, she's involved in many stage plays now. Perhaps she's thinking of focusing more on plays... but if that's so, good for her, but we'll be seeing less of her then - a shame.
    I see. But if she's in her 30s, so are Nanako, Esumi Makiko and Miho Nakayama, to name a few who are household names. I think it could be that she's more selective about roles (which would be a nice thought, shows that she doesn't just take any role to boost her resume), and that she's doing plays, as velvet_ice mentioned. I always have the impression that stage work is more demanding on an actor's ability than TV and movies. Doing regular stage work has more of the earmarks of "thespian", and since she's such a talented actress as you guys have mentioned, it could be that it's a better outlet to showcase her abilities.

So she's not appearing in a new dorama anytime soon?

Ahhh...I forgot completely about him. Come to think of it, I've watched LV and With Love (which I hated pretty much because it seemed a rather lame show). Unlike Yosuke Eguchi, it was quite a pain sitting through the whole of With Love.

Dekichatta Kekkon = Shotgun wedding. The one he acted with Ryoko Hirosue.
    I read the synopsis of With Love, and it sounded boring, so I skipped it (didn't like the look of the lead actress either). The one with Hirosue... I caught some episodes, but they were not particularly interesting. I heard he did pretty well in Ningen no Shoumei (haven't seen this one), about a cop obsessed with arresting criminals.

The thing is that J doramas are short, but not so short as to not leave any impression at all. It's quite a challenge fitting a story into 11 episodes. K dramas, on the other hand, are so loooong.... and I got bored after awhile. Not that I have anything against it, it's just that I prefer J dramas.
    Yeah, me too. To date, I haven't finished one episode of a K-drama, much less a serial. But most parts are pretty skippable, and you don't really get the feeling you missed anything major and still understand the flow of the story. I like that J-doramas are more compact in terms of storyline and dialogue, and that very little of anything is superfluous. K-dramas are okay, but the emotional scenes are very cringe-worthy.

Notice that we three are hogging the thread?
    玉木宏

blog

Are you currently learning it? Yeah, my friends have warned me that it can get tough - I feel like kicking myself actually, had a chance one year, but picked another language to learn instead.
    Yup I still am. Trying for JLPT2 this year. I think I'll suffer a horrid fate at the exams. What did you learn? I wanted to do French back then...but thought Japanese would be better since it's cheaper to learn heh.

Yeah, me too. To date, I haven't finished one episode of a K-drama, much less a serial. But most parts are pretty skippable, and you don't really get the feeling you missed anything major and still understand the flow of the story. I like that J-doramas are more compact in terms of storyline and dialogue, and that very little of anything is superfluous. K-dramas are okay, but the emotional scenes are very cringe-worthy.
    Haha that I totally agree with both of you. I lose interest midway through kdramas, and normally watch only the start and the end...because they normally use similar formulas in different settings. They're also a little too dramatic for my liking.

I see. But if she's in her 30s, so are Nanako, Esumi Makiko and Miho Nakayama, to name a few who are household names. I think it could be that she's more selective about roles (which would be a nice thought, shows that she doesn't just take any role to boost her resume), and that she's doing plays, as velvet_ice mentioned. I always have the impression that stage work is more demanding on an actor's ability than TV and movies. Doing regular stage work has more of the earmarks of "thespian", and since she's such a talented actress as you guys have mentioned, it could be that it's a better outlet to showcase her abilities.

So she's not appearing in a new dorama anytime soon?
    The thing is not so much the age group but more that Nanako, Esumi Makiko and Miho Nakayama all got their big breaks in certain dramas ten years back...that sealed their star status and gave them a prolific tv career. So they are household names today. On the contrary, Matsuyuki Yasuko never really (in my opinion) had a similar breakthrough on small screen (for reasons we'll probably never know), so she has to play second fiddle to them. I haven't watched any shows where I thought she performed appallingly so I guess she is selective about roles.

Hopefully she's not focusing all her energies on stage work. It'll be nice to see her in one drama a year. Slightly off track, but did you guys realise that Hitomi Kuroki has been popping up in dramas probably more than any other artiste??? Seems to me that its an average of 2 shows a year...not including movies. Hmm, not yet. The summer drama lineup is out and Matsuyuki Yasuko isn't appearing in any new drama, hopefully she might spring a surprise in autumn or winter.

I read the synopsis of With Love, and it sounded boring, so I skipped it (didn't like the look of the lead actress either).
    Great decision. Totally agree with you. She was boring...darned boring and expressionless. It pained me to watch each scene she shared with him.

Yup. Where's everybody else? Come share the joy of jdrama. Heh.

I see. But if she's in her 30s, so are Nanako, Esumi Makiko and Miho Nakayama, to name a few who are household names. I think it could be that she's more selective about roles (which would be a nice thought, shows that she doesn't just take any role to boost her resume), and that she's doing plays, as velvet_ice mentioned.
    The thing is not so much the age group but more that Nanako, Esumi Makiko and Miho Nakayama all got their big breaks in certain dramas ten years back...that sealed their star status and gave them a prolific tv career. So they are household names today. On the contrary, Matsuyuki Yasuko never really (in my opinion) had a similar breakthrough on small screen (for reasons we'll probably never know), so she has to play second fiddle to them. I haven't watched any shows where I thought she performed appallingly so I guess she is selective about roles.

Yeah, as jade_frosts said, the bigname stars gained much fame when they were in their 20s - and I suppose that would be the ideal age for Japanese actresses who want to make it big. Matsuyuki Yasuko only started to be (a little more) well known later in her late 20s I believe, and you know, though dramas played a part in doing that, I would think her CMs (commercials) helped her loads as well. If I'm not wrong, she was, at one time, called the CM Queen.

I always have the impression that stage work is more demanding on an actor's ability than TV and movies. Doing regular stage work has more of the earmarks of "thespian", and since she's such a talented actress as you guys have mentioned, it could be that it's a better outlet to showcase her abilities.
    Hopefully she's not focusing all her energies on stage work. It'll be nice to see her in one drama a year. Slightly off track, but did you guys realise that Hitomi Kuroki has been popping up in dramas probably more than any other artiste??? Seems to me that its an average of 2 shows a year...not including movies. Hmm, not yet. The summer drama lineup is out and Matsuyuki Yasuko isn't appearing in any new drama, hopefully she might spring a surprise in autumn or winter.

Yeah, I guess junny's right - plays do require much more than just acting on the small screen. It's live - there's no take '2'. You can't forget your lines, and you have to engage the audience as well. Challenging.

I hope that she does get a chance to act in one of the new doramas, and I hope she hasn't ruled out acting on the small screen for the near future. Hitomi Kuroki? I haven't heard much about the latest doramas (with the exception of Engine and Tiger n Dragon), but guess what - I only knew of her after The Ring. She's 40 plus, right?

To date, I haven't heard of anything about Matsuyuki Yasuko taking on new roles, so no new doramas for now.

But most parts are pretty skippable, and you don't really get the feeling you missed anything major and still understand the flow of the story.
    I lose interest midway through kdramas, and normally watch only the start and the end...because they normally use similar formulas in different settings.
    In short, we should just watch the beginning and the end to know the entire story. Hehe.

Yup I still am. Trying for JLPT2 this year. I think I'll suffer a horrid fate at the exams. What did you learn? I wanted to do French back then...but thought Japanese would be better since it's cheaper to learn heh.
    Heh, I learnt French. I think French was easier than German (another offered language), but nonetheless still presented a fair bit of challenge to me. Entirely different grammatical structure, and I didn't have the willpower and energy to hold out for the more advanced levels. I quit after the first year. I've forgotten lots of stuff that I learnt (which is a waste), but that can't be helped 'cos I don't speak French regularly to anyone else.

I feel that languages are best learnt when you're young, and when you have people speaking the language regularly to you. Otherwise I wouldn't know how to speak one of my dialects (hokkien) hehe.

Yeah, don't tell me there are only 3 jdorama fans on spcnet. That's saddening.
    -velvet_ice-

Matsuyuki Yasuko only started to be (a little more) well known later in her late 20s I believe, and you know, though dramas played a part in doing that, I would think her CMs (commercials) helped her loads as well. If I'm not wrong, she was, at one time, called the CM Queen.
    Was she? Never knew that. It helps being a CM queen but it doesn't guarantee success in snaring those meaty roles I suppose.

Hitomi Kuroki? I haven't heard much about the latest doramas (with the exception of Engine and Tiger n Dragon), but guess what - I only knew of her after The Ring. She's 40 plus, right?
    Yeah Hitomi Kuroki is 40 plus. She acted in Golden Bowl, Good Luck, Great White Tower, Terms for a Witch, Oyaji...She seems to be appearing in everything!

Some drama updates for summer 2005, that I translated:

Slow Dance, Fuji TV
    Stars: Tsumabuki Satoshi, Fukatsu Eri , Fujiki Naohito, Hirosue Ryoko

Slow Dance will be a "happy, enjoyable drama" as opposed to the likes of weepies like Winter Sonata and Sekai no chuushin.

Eri Fukatsu plays Makino Isaki an apparel store manager who abhors evasiveness, is a capable career woman but hopeless when it comes to love. Tsumabuki Satoshi stars as Serizawa Riichi who aims to be a movie director (?) but is now a youth in normal employment; unwilling to give up his dream, Riichi is in a quandry.

They first meet at a coffee shop Riichi patronises regularly when Riichi discovers that the drink he ordered didn't taste right and headed to the cashier to make a complaint.

Umizaru, Fuji TV
    Stars: Ito Hideaki, Kato Ai, Nakamura Toru

The television version of Umizaru that we saw on the big screen. Hope we see character development and less naked male butts.

Dragonzakura, TBS
    Stars: Abe Hiroshi, Hasegawa Kyoko, Yamashita Tomohisa, Nagasawa Masami, Koike Teppei, Nakao Akiyoshi

Abe Hiroshi plays Sakuragi, a former delinquent turned third rate lawyer who transforms a hopeless, independent school that is on the verge of bankruptcy into an elite school.

Jokei Kazouku, TBS
    Stars: Yonekura Ryoko, Takashima Reiko, Seto Asaka, Yu Kashii

Set against the backdrop of a major, reputable clothing and dry goods business. The company president suddenly dies leaving his pregnant lover and three daughters to engage in a tussle over the enormous inheritance. Ryoko Yonekura plays the heroine, Fumino, a loveable character who is unselfish and easily contented despite an unhappy past.

Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu, TBS
    Stars: Mimura, Narimiya Hiroki

Another television version of a popular movie of the same name. (Don't think I'll be catching it...not fond of weepies. Didn't take too well to Mimura either).

Shiawase ni Naritai, TBS
    Stars: Kyoko Fukada, Yuki Matsushita

"Can I become a drama producer?" A drama about two females' struggle at a television station as they search for happiness.

The resident drama reviewer at Yomiuri is putting her bucks on Umizaru and Slow Dance. (I think I'll do the same too.)

Heh, I learnt French. I think French was easier than German (another offered language), but nonetheless still presented a fair bit of challenge to me. Entirely different grammatical structure, and I didn't have the willpower and energy to hold out for the more advanced levels. I quit after the first year. I've forgotten lots of stuff that I learnt (which is a waste), but that can't be helped 'cos I don't speak French regularly to anyone else.

I feel that languages are best learnt when you're young, and when you have people speaking the language regularly to you. Otherwise I wouldn't know how to speak one of my dialects (hokkien) hehe.
    Aww...I wanted to learn French (still want to but German seems more practical). A friend I know learnt both French and Japanese, and declared that French was absolutely easier to master because of many words were similar to English. Yeah it's a pity you don't use it, though I suppose its the same sentiments on my end. I do speak a bit, but generally figure its faster if I say what I think in English...

Yeah, don't tell me there are only 3 jdorama fans on spcnet. That's saddening.
    That's an utterly depressing thought!!!

Okay, I'm getting a bit confused with all this quoting, so I'll just dispense with them this time.

So Matsuyuki Yasuko was in a lot of commercials? That's cool, she seems very popular in Japan then. I guess that would in part explain why she had the leverage to focus on stage work instead of doing dramas. Does she star in movies, though?

As for Hitomi Kuroki, have seen her in some doramas, and remember her quite vividly in Golden Bowl and Terms of a Witch. She doesn't always look 40+, though. In Golden Bowl, she seemed quite compatible with Kaneshiro Takeshi.

I learnt French too, for about 10 months . Didn't feel the urge to go back and revisit the language, hehe. The pronunciation drove me nuts. Agree that it's easier to pick up a new language when you're young, the mind is more malleable to changes.

Oooh, I want to watch Slow Dance! But doesn't Eri Fukatsu end up with Naohito Fujiki? I'd so love to see them pair up, it'd be quite a refreshing pairing! Googled Tsumabuki Satoshi and he's quite cute, but would still wanna see Naohito with Eri. And the serial with Yonekura Ryoko looks interesting too. I thought she was very pretty in Love Revolution.
    玉木宏

blog

i personally like lunch queen, over time, and love revolution

other good dramas are:
    god please give me more time
    tokyo wankei (just finished it today, it was pretty good)
    witch's requirements
    love generation
    son-in-law
    tokyo love story (loved everything but the ending)
    and more but thats all i can think of off the top of my head

Hmm, I did a check at her website but couldn't read it because the words came out scrambled. Anyway, she does movies but they could be the avant garde indie stuff. She acted with Tsutsumi Shinichi in a movie called Monday. Probably need to google more. Well, I guess all we can do is sit tight and cross our fingers.

I wonder whether Hitomi Kuroki has great genes or a steady supply of botox? She looked pretty svelte and fresh in Good Luck.

We aren't all that old are we now??? I think it's perseverence too...and a conducive environment that will foster language learning.

Oh junny, you're not going to be in luck...Naohito I'm afraid is most likely playing Tsumabuki's older brother. So there's no way he's gonna pair up with Eri Fukatsu. Pity but...arh...maybe we'll get lucky next time ard. Not so excited about a older woman-younger man love story...but if the scriptwriters are to be believed then the two of the will end up together after some possible misunderstandings, clashes and romancing. I just read Ms Penn's musings on her thoughts for the upcoming season and she seems all gloom...despite the talented Eri Fukatsu she thinks Slow Dance may go the way of Anego (a similar drama which just finished its run).

This summer's thirtysomething love story Slow Dance (July 4, Fuji, 9 p.m.) offers a glimmer of hope. But if the finale of Anego, this spring's thirtysomething romance, is any indication, it is only a flicker of hope. Blessed with a likeable heroine, Anego rose in the ratings, but viewers who made an emotional investment in the series were left with no dividend.

She loved him. He loved her. There was no reason the producers could not give us a happy ending, but instead they send him off to Mongolia and she dithers on in Tokyo. They don't marry. They become e-mail pals, leaving viewers dangling in cyberspace somewhere between Mongolia and Japan.

When will the networks ever figure out why people are flocking to the South Korean drama lineup? I'll say it again. Viewers want heartwarming stories and preferably a happy ending. But they will settle for a sad or dramatic ending. It is this irritating lack of resolution that repels them. Unresolved issues may be common in real life but viewers expect better from their TV heroes.

And I pretty much agree with her...At times you really feel for the characters in the drama...after following them for a 11 ep ride, you've grown with them - laughed, mocked, cried, simmered whatever and then you're left with ambiguity at the end after that emotional investment, when all you wished were a definite conclusion.

Hey colona, you seem to like the romance genre! I think Lunch Queen is great, but haven't reached the halfway mark yet.

Currently Watching:
    - Engine
    - Like Asura (Eri Fukatsu, Hitomi Kuroki, Kyoko Fukada movie)

I'll probably give the first three doramas that jade_frosts mentioned a try if I had the chance: Slow Dance, Umizaru and Dragonzakura.

Matsuyuki Yasuko did do alot of commercials, and as for her movies, yeah, they're all rather indie-ish. (I think jade_frosts is right, she probably is selective of the roles she portrays)

She did do one mainstream horror one, though, called Another Heaven, with Yosuke Eguchi and Takashi Kashiwabara. Matsuyuki wasn't the lead though, she was part of the supporting cast. I caught it on cable TV before, and I thought it was all right, but like most horror movies, the story line was just average. Yosuke Eguchi was a detective of sorts, with Matsuyuki Yasuko portraying a doctor (again!) which would later come into contact with him due to an injury that he'd suffered. Apparently there was this weird thing that would seep into people's orifices and thus control their brains, going on a killing spree, involving the -ugh- cutting up and stewing of brains (and that's how the cops get involved). Rather graphic isn't it. Story-wise it was okay, but the acting spiced it up. If you asked me it wasn't scary, just gross, and in fact it was rather emotional at the end. Yosuke's character was interested in Matsuyuki's, but they didn't end up together. Don't know if you want spoilers, so I won't say why yet.

Hitomi Kuroki doesn't look like she's in her 40s at all. I knew her from Dark Water (oops did I say The Ring previously, haha.) which I watched a little, and when my brother pointed out that she was in her 40s I didn't believe him, until I checked it out for myself. She looks even younger than some of her younger counterparts -_-

French grammar can be hard to grasp at first, but yeah, the vocab is definitely easier than Japanese. It is indeed similar to English. Yeah, pronounciation was a problem. When I spoke to my French teacher in French, I had to repeat a couple of times for her to understand. Anyway, I'll probably take Japanese, the difference is that I have the interest in the language.

"It is this irritating lack of resolution that repels them. Unresolved issues may be common in real life but viewers expect better from their TV heroes. " - Yeah! My exact thoughts.

Colona: I like lunch queen too. I suppose you prefer the romance genre. hehe.

Me, I'm still watching Tiger & Dragon, Lunch Queen, and of course will be watching for a long time - 24 Hrs Emergency Ward 3 (Kyumei Byoto 24 ji 3)
    Last edited by velvet_ice; 06-30-05 at 01:35 AM.
    -velvet_ice-

LOL. Hitomi Kuroki does look younger than 40+, I think botox probably helped. But if she has some marvellous anti-ageing formula, she should share it with us. I still can't believe she played Takizawa Hideaki's mother in Terms of a Witch. He was a spoilt brat, but she doesn't look that old to be someone else's mother! What did you guys think of this drama?

As for Slow Dance... Aww, jade_frosts, I was so hoping for the Eri-Naohito pairing even though I knew there was no chance, since she's gonna go for the younger guy... ehhh, does that mean he's gonna go for Hirosue??? Ehhh, I don't really like her much. Either that, or he likes Eri, but she prefers the brother, and then they all get hopelessly confused, and as you and Ms Penn said, it could lead to another Anego ending (didn't watch this, is it that bad??).

As for the lack of resolution bit... well, I wouldn't mind a straightforward (happy) ending, but I don't mind the no-resolution bit, so long as it makes sense! If the scriptwriters are gonna introduce an ending that, no matter how original or creative, just doesn't make sense, then they deserve a hot poker up their arses! I hope there will be a nice ending to Slow Dance.

colona, I like Love Revolution and Over Time too.

Haven't watched Lunch Queen, what's that?
    玉木宏

blog

Oh yeah! Now that you mentioned, I caught Another Heaven at a cinema with a friend because we were both crazy over Yosuke Eguchi and she liked Kassy too. It wasn't a great show plotwise, particularly the ending, but well we were totally envious of that scrawny actress who got to put her hands all over Yosuke. Haha.

As for Slow Dance... Aww, jade_frosts, I was so hoping for the Eri-Naohito pairing ... ehhh, does that mean he's gonna go for Hirosue??? Ehhh, I don't really like her much...and as you and Ms Penn said, it could lead to another Anego ending (didn't watch this, is it that bad??).

If the scriptwriters are gonna introduce an ending that, no matter how original or creative, just doesn't make sense, then they deserve a hot poker up their arses! I hope there will be a nice ending to Slow Dance.
    I think Naohito might be too tall for Eri too. Ugh, but the thought of his being paired with Hirosue turns me off...Nooooo...I'd cry buckets if that happened. I didn't follow Anego so I'm not sure how the whole show was, but it performed rather respectably in the tv ratings.

I can't agree more on your comments...An ending that is unfathomable and illogical is possibly the most infuriating thing for a viewer to encounter. Well, I'll be watching Slow Dance and will let you know how I like it! I watched Eri Fukatsu in Like Asura yesterday and she delivered a really good performance as the smart, introverted, awkward third sister who craves the attention her fourth sister (played by Kyoko Fukada) always attracted. It was a comedic yet touching performance, and the movie was very interesting although at first it seemed that it would be a very typical story about a 70 year old father's affair coming to light, his daughters' reactions and attempts to keep their mother blissfully unaware.
    http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/nyaff04-asura.htm

velvet_ice, why're there only Fujitv dramas on SCV? TBS makes rather good productions too.

Lunch Queen has a very "delectable" male cast! Yosuke Eguchi, Tsutsumi Shinichi, Tsumabuki Satoshi. The female lead is Yuko Takeuchi. The drama revolves around a restaurant run by the brothers (Tsutsumi Shinichi though is an outcast but I'm not too sure of the details 'cos I haven't watched much), who're devoted to serving delicious food. A foodie drama in other words.