Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Drama Recommendations

Well, junny Slow Dance performed dismally last week in tv ratings - around 17% compared to 22.5% in the first week. As you said I truly hope they won't let Eri Fukatsu's talent be wasted on a typical drama, having just watched Saikou na Kataomoi (White Love Story), Eri's breakthrough role way way back in 1995. The english title isn't a correct translation of the Japanese title since it actually means Best One-sided Love. I was totally bowled over by Eri's character, Kurumi, a naive, sweet, generous-hearted 21 year-old who falls head over heels in love with this character, Kosuke played by Masahiro Motoki, who'd caught her in his arms one day just as she tripped and was about to fall after being pushed by passengers emerging from the train. As the title hints, the one-sided love becomes a mutual one, but after much trials and tribulations because into the fray comes a junior from Kosuke's school days whom Kosuke used to love and who can't seem to exorcise, and Kosuke's buddy, Ryuhei who loves this junior, though she has eyes only for Kosuke. Complicating huh? I loved watching how Eri's character touched Kosuke's heart though they were completely different personalities. It was totally charming and to add to the allure, it was set against a winter backdrop and skiing. Awwwww.....

Yeah Yada Akiko was in Hotman. I haven't really seen the actress who played Yukimi much, she's not very high profile, I guess. As for Konishi Manami, who played Shima, it might have been a scheduling conflict so she wasn't able to appear in 2?

Finished watching Koi ni Ochitara and Last Christmas. Velvet_ice, you must definitely watch Koi, it is humourous and very enjoyable although I found the last episode a let down. A good storyline, competent cast and enough twists in the story to make it my current favourite of Spring 2005, and also one of Tsuyoshi Kusanagi's most appealing roles to date; not to forget Tsutsumi Shinichi! Last Christmas was interesting, right up till Ep6, when they threw in the ex-factor to complicate the relationship between Oda Yuji and Yada Akiko...from then on it kinda dragged but finally picked up around Ep9. Not too bad, but if you want a winter show worth watching then my vote goes to Saikou na Kataomoi.

Oh btw, Kimutaku's Engine was given 4 New Sour Plum Awards (literally translated from the Chinese title 'Xin Suan Mei Jiang'). Figure this is something like the American Razzies. One for Kimutaku's role, another for Koyuki's role, and the remaining two for the pairing of Kimutaku and Koyuki, and the script of Engine. What a bummer but I agree...

Currently watching:
    - Ikebukuro West Gate Park
    - Kagayaku Toki no Naka de (Into a bright moment)

ahh i watched IWGP, it's very dark series, but so different, interesting. Heard this series got a very good critism.

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun
    ahh i watched IWGP, it's very dark series, but so different, interesting. Heard this series got a very good critism.
    How did you like IWGP? I'm still 3/4 through the first episode (just after they found Rika dead and are bringing Matoko in for questioning) and am not quite sure what to make of it. It seems to be celebrating and 'glamourising' the seedy side of life. There doesn't seem much focus too.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    How did you like IWGP? I'm still 3/4 through the first episode (just after they found Rika dead and are bringing Matoko in for questioning) and am not quite sure what to make of it. It seems to be celebrating and 'glamourising' the seedy side of life. There doesn't seem much focus too.

Because of Tomoya Nagase??? hahaha.. besides, the storyline kind of interesting, so different, hard life, darks side of the society in Japan. But yeahh too much blood, fighting and 'harsh words' but instead of that cruel society, there's still luv n frenzhip. SPOILER... i cried when YamaP's character (forgot the name) is dead.

I just finished watching H2. It's good!!!!!!!!!! lol Hiro-kun is so kakkoii n kawaii too but sumtimes wants to smack him Yamada Takayuki!! he's good playing the role. And now i'm starting to watch his doramas.

Ah, sorry, been slow to reply. How did Slow Dance fare in the ratings lately?

Also, I bought Ice World and Long Vacation through Yesasia, can't wait to revisit them again.

Oh, I also caught one episode (I seem to always catch only one episode of everything ) of the Yutaka Takenouchi drama, the one he acted as a cop. He looked muy cool!
    玉木宏

blog

OoOo tanteun, IWGP is entertaining, dark and quite unpredictable. Though I still don't know what to make of Nagase's character's life as a 'bum' with connections to the gangs at Ikebukuro. My favourite character is Kubozuka's King, I thought he pulled the role off well, in lesser hands, the guy might have looked like a loony! But I found Kato Ai's character rather irritating...at the Ep6 now I think, but my friend's disc is slightly spoilt so got a lil fed up and went to watch Waterboys, the movie.

Yamada Takayuki acted in Densha Otoko, the movie. Haven't seen any of his shows but realised that he had a small role in Psychometrer Eiji II, when he was still a young kid.

Slow Dance's ratings have been rather dismal actually: 22.5%_17.4%_15.8%_16.5%_14.9%. A fairly credible cast let down by a lousy script? I'm not too sure. I think I'll start watching Slow Dance by the end of August, then I can deliver my verdict and post more pics. The most popular drama this season is turning out to be Densha Otoko, though the season has another 6 more weeks to run...so it's still too early to make a verdict.

Haha. You're rewatching those dramas again? I bought Perfect Love, starring Yoshino Kimura and Fukuyama Massaharu. Getting in the mood for older dorama flicks.

hoho thanks to Yamada, now i'm hooked to another doramas, especially his. I know i'm late i just watched Waterboys, Fireboys and Sekai no chuusin which those are starred by Yamada. I like those series but not Sekai no chuusin. I don't know why people said it's a best dorama, even it got an award. Maybe because i'm not the person who believe that kind of luv.

Heard about Densha Otoko the movie tho, but i couldn't find it here. Do u know where i can find it??

I can't watch Ice World Put it in my Windows Media Player (I watch vcds on my comp) and it jammed. This sucks.
    玉木宏

blog

hoho thanks to Yamada, now i'm hooked to another doramas, especially his. I know i'm late i just watched Waterboys, Fireboys and Sekai no chuusin which those are starred by Yamada. I like those series but not Sekai no chuusin. I don't know why people said it's a best dorama, even it got an award. Maybe because i'm not the person who believe that kind of luv.

Heard about Densha Otoko the movie tho, but i couldn't find it here. Do u know where i can find it??
    I guess Sekai is the type of show that appeals to people with specific tastes. Those that do not like melodrama will prob not like it tat much coz it's almost 100% melodrama. I tot it was pretty well done though and had some meaningful themes. I guess that kind of luv is hard to believe in but that's wat dramas are all about, appealing to people's hopes and sensitivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    I guess Sekai is the type of show that appeals to people with specific tastes. Those that do not like melodrama will prob not like it tat much coz it's almost 100% melodrama. I tot it was pretty well done though and had some meaningful themes. I guess that kind of luv is hard to believe in but that's wat dramas are all about, appealing to people's hopes and sensitivities.

I like melodrama, but again maybe the idea of that kind of luv especially that they're still 17 years old is not fitted me at all. I don't know,maybe people in Jap, took 17 years of age as the turn point of their luv life *but i doubt it too*. Still young and they have lots of things come in front of their life and waste it only to show that neverending luv??

Well eventho, i kept continuing watch 'till the end. Yes, there's sum parts that are really touchy and beautiful and i just said what i think about it

Oh dear. Try watching Ice World on a VCD player or using Mplayer then?

Tanteun, funnily the movie version of Densha Otoko hasn't turned up yet. But will let you know if I see it around. I personally think that as hilarious as Densha Otoko sounds, it does seem pathetic that there are probably a great proportion of Japanese men who lead similar lives as 'Densha Otoko' and they're wondering why the Japanese birth rate is tumbling.... I share the same sentiment as you on Sekai chuu...and I don't quite fancy melodramas so I skipped it totally.

Thinking of watching Satorare again after having watched the movie version of it. It's totally unrealistic and wacky (since its based on a manga series) but an entertaining drama all the same. Imagine if all your thoughts could be heard by those around you, and you were deemed a precious entity to the nation because of your high intellect such that there is a national system set up to ensure that you are protected and never find out that you are a satorare.

jade_frosts,
    heard the movie turned very well in the box office and lots of countries already bought the right. Just really hope to be released soon. The trailers are sooooo *drooling*

*high five* rarely see the same idea about Sekaichuu but it has a great cast tho

I like melodrama, but again maybe the idea of that kind of luv especially that they're still 17 years old is not fitted me at all. I don't know,maybe people in Jap, took 17 years of age as the turn point of their luv life *but i doubt it too*. Still young and they have lots of things come in front of their life and waste it only to show that neverending luv??

Well eventho, i kept continuing watch 'till the end. Yes, there's sum parts that are really touchy and beautiful and i just said what i think about it
    it's prob not the age that was the issue, but how deep into the love the guy was. I mean, when you've gone to the stage where you're willing to marry a dying girl, it's hard to forget that kind of love. 17 years may be a long time, but you never know eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    it's prob not the age that was the issue, but how deep into the love the guy was. I mean, when you've gone to the stage where you're willing to marry a dying girl, it's hard to forget that kind of love. 17 years may be a long time, but you never know eh?
    Yeahhh , never know
    but again, in my eyes, the age IS become the issue Won't againts it if u're an adult, it's a different story.

Oh dear. Try watching Ice World on a VCD player or using Mplayer then?
    I don't have a VCD player, or Mplayer (what's that?). I don't have a DVD player either, which is why I watch VCDs on my Windows Media Player. I didn't have problems in the past, sigh.

Anyway, I recently caught an episode of Yutaka's cop drama (he was the swoonsome cop, Munesue). He was in America to check up on some case details, and he spoke some English. It was a bit garbled, but I could still understand him okay (and the dialogue was a little different from the English subs).

I like the brooding Yutaka .
    玉木宏

blog

Oh heh Mplayer is just like window media player. I like it because its probably the most user friendly and players almost all media formats. I'm not sure whether you can still download Mplayer though...What format are the files for Ice World in?

This cop show is called Proof of the Man. I didn't catch it though...heh but I think a broody Yutaka Takenouchi will definitely send hearts a flutter.

Gonna continue watching IWGP, and probably Antique. Naohito Fujiki!

recently watching DragonZakura, it was better than i thought... quite funny.. other recommands... orange days, gokusen, long love letter, IWGP, Sekai Chuushin de ai wo sakebu, engine.... there are too many good japanese series

What format are the files for Ice World in?
    I just tried again yesterday. The first couple of discs got jammed, but I could work one of them. It was very weird. I just gave up after a while.

I think it was some DAT file or something.

So what's happening for Slow Dance?
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    I just tried again yesterday. The first couple of discs got jammed, but I could work one of them. It was very weird. I just gave up after a while.

I think it was some DAT file or something.

So what's happening for Slow Dance?
    Oh dear. Try copying the DAT file onto your desktop and play it. If it still doesn't work ask for a replacement. That must the most crummy thing to happen when you're looking forward to sitting down to god entertainment!

Slow Dance hmm...It was Ep 7 last week and it was entitled "True feelings realised by a kiss." Eri Fukatsu and Satoshi Tsumabuki's characters kissed (TWICE), but there's lots of emotional baggage that's probably gonna hold them back (as you saw in the earlier chart). Many people have likened Slow Dance to Long Vacation. It's too predictable but many are sticking around for the great cast. Four more episodes to go!

I'll probably start watching next week or so...Do you understand Chinese/Japanese? I can send you short files.

17.5% for Ep8!
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 08-23-05 at 03:17 AM.

Well, I'll try that method you suggested, though I'm not sure if that'll work either. Sigh. I'm rather apprehensive about trying out the rest of the VCDs I got from yesasia. Bleh.

Oh, you mean you're posting Slow Dance episodes here? I understand Chinese, but not Japanese. If you're posting links here, I can click and download.
    玉木宏

blog