Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: Japanese Drama Recommendations

Just a general comment, the Japanese seemed to favour serials based on manga, whatever will they do without them?

Hmm, i don't really think Japanese favours dramas adapted from manga. Just that in recent years, the number of manga adaptations has gone up. It's not a guarantee that a drama will do well just base on the fact that it is adapted from a hit manga. Alot of its still lies with how well the story is written and whether it can translates nicely onto the screen, acted out by real people.

Anyway, everybody needs to watch Nodame Cantabile. I finished episode two yesterday, and omg, I think I am in love, with Chiaki-sama!!

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    This thread has been pretty quiet lately, I had to go all the way to page 3 to find the thread. Anyway, the new drama season in Japan has started for a few weeks already, so far I only manage to catch Nodame Cantabile.

Summary of Nodame Cantabile from Dramawiki
    -
    Megumi Noda, or "Nodame," is a piano student at Momogaoka College of Music. Although she is an extremely talented pianist who can play by ear, she can't read music. She also hates to take a bath or clean her room. For her daily meals, she usually grabs something out of her friend's lunchbox.

Nodame soon falls in love with Momogaoka's top student, Shinichi Chiaki. Born into a musical family, he plays the piano and violin brilliantly. Although his major is piano, he has secret ambitions to become a conductor.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/658/nodamecharttq4.jpg')

The first episode of Nodame Cantabile was a great deal of fun, I love the over the top comedy the show adopts, as expected since it's adapted from a manga. Chiaki and Nodame are both hilarious, one for being inherently arrogant and the other for just being inherently strange. The series looks very promising, definitely following the drama. The BGM was awesome as well, not to mention the wonderful pieces of music that was played throughout the show by the students.

What's BMG?

BGM - Background music

It seems that every season we have a winner as far as Jap serials are concerned.

I think that's at least good enough for me...at least there's a continuation of good worthy serials.

1 Liter Of Tears.
    It's a great J-Drama!
    I really recommand it. (=

I finally get moving with Attention Please!. for some reason I can stand seeing Aya Ueto character being silly and overacting. But last nite I hit 3 episodes in the row (can be more, too bad it's working days) and she was less silly, and more screen for Ryo-chan... .. It's quite funny and a lot of unexpected characters. IMO. I like the 3 girls friendship, a bit rocky in the beginning because of personality clash, but they started to mature now.. I shall finish this series by end of week.

I wish I can be with Ryo-chan on that small plane trip, sugoiiii...

BTW, Attention Please is about Cabin Attendant training and their struggle.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I haven't been following what's good to see for Japanese series apart from the threads here, so I'm kinda lost now .. Could people give some recommendation on the following series, whether is worth to watch or not?

- Gachibaka!
    - Ganbatte Ikimashio
    - Divorce Lawyer (Rikon Bengoshi)

that's all for now.. anyone? arigato nee...
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Does anyone know where is the best place to get J-drama in Singapore? They are really hard to find especially if it's old drama.

Thanks!
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

^ you can take a bus over to KL, malaysia seriously, they have got the largest selection. crappy english subtitles, but i'm assuming correct chinese subs. i couldn't find much in singapore, and it's hugely overpriced there too.

Hi, I'm looking for a jdrama to watch. I'd like a good younger man older woman relationship drama;
    So far I've seen & liked:
    Majo no Jouken
    Kimi wa petto(funny)
    Anego(not a great one but still)

I disliked:
    Sore wa, Totsuzen, Arashi no you ni...(the woman is kinda slow, too much of a housewife )
    Sapuri( just work, not much of a relationship between them)
    Ohitorisama(kinda stupid; the young teacher is too naive and timid )

Quote Originally Posted by Monique7 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for a jdrama to watch. I'd like a good younger man older woman relationship drama;
    Majo no Jouken
    Kimi wa petto(funny)

I disliked:
    Sore wa, Totsuzen, Arashi no you ni...(the woman is kinda slow, too much of a housewife )
    In your other thread, Lady Zhuge recommended Love Revolution and Around 40 - I agree with the former, although I don't think it's strictly an older woman-younger man romance, since Suga's age is not clear. However it's still worth watching, a great drama. Around 40 is a bit staid.

I also recommend Over Time and Long Vacation, both J-dorama classics along with Love Revolution.
    Last edited by junny; 02-06-10 at 02:42 PM.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    In your other thread, Lady Zhuge recommended Love Revolution and Around 40 - I agree with the former, although I don't think it's strictly an older woman-younger man romance, since Suga's age is not clear. However it's still worth watching, a great drama. Around 40 is a bit staid.

I also recommend Over Time and Long Vacation, both J-dorama classics along with Love Revolution.
    On Japanese Wikipedia for Love Revolution, Kyoko is listed as being 32 and Suga as 30. Yabuki also liked Kyoko and he was clearly younger than her (listed as being 24).

I know I'm in the minority here, but I just couldn't get into Long Vacation. Perhaps 3 episodes isn't giving it enough of a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    On Japanese Wikipedia for Love Revolution, Kyoko is listed as being 32 and Suga as 30. Yabuki also liked Kyoko and he was clearly younger than her (listed as being 24).

I know I'm in the minority here, but I just couldn't get into Long Vacation. Perhaps 3 episodes isn't giving it enough of a chance?
    Ah Suga is 30? The dorama site didn't list his age. Oh well. And Yabuki is kinda a non-entity to me

Long Vacation... requires a bit of patience, I think. Mainly because Sena is so... inactive at times and Minami can be a bit trying in the earlier episodes. But I think ultimately it's worth it, and Takenouchi Yutaka is kinda cute in here
    玉木宏

blog

Long vacation: I tried watching it some time ago but didn't like it
    thx, I'll see about the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Monique7 View Post
    Majo no Jouken
    Kimi wa petto(funny)

I disliked:
    You may want to try Suekko Chounan Ane san nin. Okada Junichi and Eri Fukatsu in here, also Koyuki as the 2nd sister. It's hillarous, it's more into their marriage and in-law family life not just about dating. I love this dorama.

I can't stand Sore wa either because I don't think it's right morally especially since the female lead was married already. I never watch Majo no Jouken either, because of the story. Kimi wa Petto lose it's charmed after few episodes, Anego was Ok because of Shinohara Ryoko.

Hold on! makes me think, all those jdorama above has JE boys acting as the younger male... (Tacky, MatsuJun, Akanashi Jin, Yamapi and Okada, even Kimura Takuya in Long Vacation) is a must-to-be-acted in their long list career in dorama .. sorry OOT

I don't mind Long Vacation, it's ok. Around 40 is recommended, for me because of Amami Yuki,
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.