View Poll Results: Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely not. What they did in the past was horrific!

49 33.33%
  • Yes. What's past is past, we should forget and move on...

73 49.66%
  • No opinion on this issue

25 17.01%
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

Exclamation Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

**NOTE: I'm not sure if this topic should be under the section: Academia. Correct me if I'm wrong! **

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have Your say on it:

This might be a bit biased sort of question but it brings out the issues that happen in the past. Japan did commit war crime atrocities during WWII. But you must realized that this has happened 60 years ago. Should we forgive and forget? Here's what I got when I read the article by BBC News:

There are severeal different viewpoints from this article:

When have textbooks not been biased? Look at Christopher Columbus, some countries praise him while some despise him. The state of Texas creates its own textbooks that play down the theory of evolution. There are countless other examples. It is the same with Japan and China they create textbooks to reflect their national interest and pride. I feel the reaction is completely out of control.
    Christopher Southerlin, Anchorage, AK, US

The Chinese have a valid point. Japan did commit war crimes atrocities during World War II. However, the war has been over for 60 years. Japan is no longer the same militaristic country that it was in WWII anymore than Germany is. While it's wrong for Japan to whitewash its history, it's equally wrong for China to nurture old hatreds against the Japanese. The Japanese should acknowledge their WWII history and the Chinese should acknowledge Japan's peaceful progress since WWII.
    Greg, Philadelphia, USA

I think this problem is going to be continued because the essence of this problem is that China is communism and autocracy. I'm worried about South Korea more than China. Because they are continuing to keep the single knowledge of history although they are a liberal democratic country.
    Yasuaki Shikinami, Saitama prefecture, Japan

If you are interested to read more click here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4436425.stm
    Last edited by j-walker; 07-29-06 at 05:02 PM.
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

I really doubt this hatred to Japan really is so important anymore. While it may exist in some more older generations who may have been directly affected by it, the modern people have mostly forgiven. I mean, many textbooks still write German Nazi's as the bad guys and do direct hatred toward them, but we still love our BMWs and Mercedes and still play our World Cup there, etc. Likewise, there are tons of Japanese things that are widely accepted in China and over parts of asia. I'm sure there are still Japanese hating Chinese out there, but there are also plenty of racists and sexists and whatnot-ists out there. Can't stop all the hatred in the world, can we?

Should what the Japanese did in China during WWII be forgiven? No, I don't think so. Just like how Pearl Harbor & the Holocaust should NEVER be forgiven. But that is the event, and the people at the time that should not be forgiven. Hitler shouldn't be forgiven, but that doesn't mean we all hate German people, does it?

definetely not!
    the japanese won't even admit that they did all of that. in plus, they killed millions of people

What's there to forgive? The Japanese still refuses to admit and apologise for their past deeds.

The Chinese have a valid point. Japan did commit war crimes atrocities during World War II. However, the war has been over for 60 years.
    Doesn't mean that it no longer matters.

Japan is no longer the same militaristic country that it was in WWII anymore than Germany is.
    You sure? I think its current leader is a closet militarist.

While it's wrong for Japan to whitewash its history, it's equally wrong for China to nurture old hatreds against the Japanese.
    We should just forget the shame and trampling then? Especially when the other party fervently claimed that whatever we said never happened?

The Japanese should acknowledge their WWII history and the Chinese should acknowledge Japan's peaceful progress since WWII.
    We acknowledge their blatant disrespect for us too. We also acknowledge that they will never admit or apologise for their crimes.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by wuxia
    definetely not!
    the japanese won't even admit that they did all of that. in plus, they killed millions of people
    Maybe you should re-direct some of your anger towards two megalomaniacs named Mao and Chung! Both kept the vast majority of their armies in the interior of China waiting for the allies to defeat Japan so they could fight each other. Had they really cared about China and it's people they would have joined forces and kicked butt. During the war, both drove the American military advisers in China nuts with their total self-interest and lack of desire to really tackle the Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    Maybe you should re-direct some of your anger towards two megalomaniacs named Mao and Chung! Both kept the vast majority of their armies in the interior of China waiting for the allies to defeat Japan so they could fight each other. Had they really cared about China and it's people they would have joined forces and kicked butt. During the war, both drove the American military advisers in China nuts with their total self-interest and lack of desire to really tackle the Japanese.
    this issue is obviously going to vary depending on which direction you're coming from... ichinese, japanese people are obviously going to have different persepectives.

it's history, it can't be rewritten. The hatred falls on a few people who were in command at the time and shouldn't continue to fall on people who are just associated with them.

I think we should call a peace between the two countries although it wouldn't be that easy. Yes the Japanese did did horrible things but we can't punish their descendents because of that.
    If you started, you must finished.
    If you do it, you must give it all.

Hope nobody is gonna start trashing me but here's my opinion. The people who did the war crimes are mostly dead by now and their descendants aren't the same people. Besides, America used the atomic bomb on Japan and I think that's a pretty bad thing to happen. Basically, just forgive them.

I think this is a very difficult question to answer beside being very senstitive. but what's over is over and the crimes were committed by people who mostly had already died and who could be brain-washed but to forgive that kind of atrocities is very difficullt especially if you are directly affected by the war. I think we have got to understand that.

I have no answer for this...its more of a personal choice I feel.

I say "yes," because nothing positive is gained in holding on to old hatreds and conflicts. I disagree with the "forget," part, however. Forgetting would be an invitation to repeat the mistakes of the past. Forgiving is good; forgetting is not.

What have the Japanese done to deserve forgiveness?
    Rewrite their history books, deny any wrongdoing, put their war criminals up on the pedistal.

Do they even give a damn about getting forgiveness? There actions seem to scream no.

Japan - non-militarist? Psshhh, they can assemble a nuke in a few days, and chuck at China if China attacks Japan over Taiwan (Japan likely to be the base for US forces).

Note: I am talking about their government, not the general populace, although the general populace have some responsibility over what the government does.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

It depends on what the definition of "forgive" is and what it implies.

For sure no one should attempt to get revenge (or, wuxia style, "bou chou") on the Japanese by booking a plane flight to Tokyo and carbombing something. That's just misplaced anger which doesn't benefit anyone except possibly yourself.

On the other hand it's not very desirable to say that the Rape of Nanjing was a minor misunderstanding, either.

To be honest I'm not sure exactly what forgiveness would entail, which makes this a hard question. Like, how would the relationship change if the Chinese forgave the Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by wuxia
    definetely not!
    Like the chinese government are so honest themselves.

Lots of government modified their history books to potray themselves in the good light (including China who are no saints themselves), Japan is not alone in it.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

hatred is a difficult emotion to carry....
    The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://66.7.192.165/banners/full_banner2.jpg'), '')

how about the question: should koreans forgive the japanese?
    it seems that the animosity between the two is much greater, though not sure about it.
    The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://66.7.192.165/banners/full_banner2.jpg'), '')

They should apologize properly for their atrocities...
    just disgusting what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    They should apologize properly for their atrocities...
    just disgusting what they did.
    Yeah if they actually and publically admit their crimes then I bet people would move towards closer relationships
    If you started, you must finished.
    If you do it, you must give it all.

I say build a bridge and move on... the majority of us weren't even there when it happened (or might have happened). Japan paid for their atrocity many times over when they were nuked.

Proud nations (and Leaders) will never admit their mistakes...
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Lots of government modified their history books to potray themselves in the good light (including China who are no saints themselves), Japan is not alone in it.
    american history books claim WW1 started in 1916
    how self centered of them!

There are more chinese people here on the forum... so it's obviously expected that there's going to be a stronger opinion towards NO here than in other places.

yes, the past is gone, the future is yet to come, live now.