Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Series:Wing Chun-starring Nicholas Tse, Hu Ke, Rain Li, Sammo Hung

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Just completed this series, and actually I think its quite an entertaining serial!

I have to say that by the end of the show Gao Ming was my favorite character! The role is well-written, with time devoted to his character development, and yet giving him some great consistent traits- he's a protective, loving brother, who, to the bitter end, wanted the best for his sister, and also wanted his sister to think the best of him. The actor's awesome as well, though I don't know his name nor have seen him in anything else- his tall build makes him perfect as this powerful, driven-to-the-edge, but still human and almost-noble giant. Not that he wasn't evil, but you feel a twinge for him and he's a much more complex character than any other in this serial!

Kudos also to Yuen Biao, who gave us a very lovable awkward, but upright dad. The actress for Little Bun also gives a great performance- I find her crying scenes awesome! She somehow manages to make her tears seem understated for her emotions- the opposite of the exaggerated weeping that is spotted by too many.

Nic Tse, though I still find him somewhat limited, surprised me here- he's unexpectedly quite a good comic actor, e.g., his pretend "date" with Little Bun at the beginning was lovely! He managed to, with very few words, shift from shy to stunned, awkward to amused to affectionate, and then back again in the scenes that might be the most emotional range I've seen from him yet in any serial. (Watch for Little Bun in these first few episodes- the actress is impressive in what she manages to convey with a changes in her eyes and mouth and posture without any lines.)

Sammo Hung's character is way cool in here- specially when he easy kicks Gao Ming's characters butt in the funeral scene. This is a guy who has nothing to prove that he hasn't already proven and it shows!

On the down side, there were minor characters that felt unneccessary- like Nic's brother's romantic interest- and there were side plots that were a little distracting (e.g., initial bad-guy Long's son)

However overall, it was a reasonably well-paced series which mixed comedy, romance and drama with some action highlights. (It is true that it's not focused on the action, in spite of having some great martial arts actors, which might disappoint some who came to see Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung fight more than they do. Still, what fighting there is is clearly choreographed and executed by people who know what they're doing!)
    wow... some the things you said above is so true. You mention you don't know Gao Ming name..i thought he is Sammo Hung's son and his name is Sammy Hung.
    What you think, is what you do....what you do, is what you are.......

haven't visit this thread for a while!

i agreed with you about gao ming. he was one of my fav characters too. he wasn't evil in the beginning, just wrong place and wrong time. i did feel sorry for him though and he did an excellent job! i, too, was wondering who he is by the time the series ended and yep, found out he's sammo's youngest son, sammy!

i would love to see him in a starring role. he's got some guest roles in some jackie chan movies.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Just completed this series, and actually I think its quite an entertaining serial!

I have to say that by the end of the show Gao Ming was my favorite character! The role is well-written, with time devoted to his character development, and yet giving him some great consistent traits- he's a protective, loving brother, who, to the bitter end, wanted the best for his sister, and also wanted his sister to think the best of him. The actor's awesome as well, though I don't know his name nor have seen him in anything else- his tall build makes him perfect as this powerful, driven-to-the-edge, but still human and almost-noble giant. Not that he wasn't evil, but you feel a twinge for him and he's a much more complex character than any other in this serial!

Kudos also to Yuen Biao, who gave us a very lovable awkward, but upright dad. The actress for Little Bun also gives a great performance- I find her crying scenes awesome! She somehow manages to make her tears seem understated for her emotions- the opposite of the exaggerated weeping that is spotted by too many.

Nic Tse, though I still find him somewhat limited, surprised me here- he's unexpectedly quite a good comic actor, e.g., his pretend "date" with Little Bun at the beginning was lovely! He managed to, with very few words, shift from shy to stunned, awkward to amused to affectionate, and then back again in the scenes that might be the most emotional range I've seen from him yet in any serial. (Watch for Little Bun in these first few episodes- the actress is impressive in what she manages to convey with a changes in her eyes and mouth and posture without any lines.)

Sammo Hung's character is way cool in here- specially when he easy kicks Gao Ming's characters butt in the funeral scene. This is a guy who has nothing to prove that he hasn't already proven and it shows!

On the down side, there were minor characters that felt unneccessary- like Nic's brother's romantic interest- and there were side plots that were a little distracting (e.g., initial bad-guy Long's son)

However overall, it was a reasonably well-paced series which mixed comedy, romance and drama with some action highlights. (It is true that it's not focused on the action, in spite of having some great martial arts actors, which might disappoint some who came to see Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung fight more than they do. Still, what fighting there is is clearly choreographed and executed by people who know what they're doing!)
    ---------
    Shellie

this one is a good one not too much fighting, more drama but it is good

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I do wing chun and that fight is painful to watch.
    You must remember this is a drama...they have to do 'showy' martial arts. How can the camera man get good angles/shots if actors focused on minimising target space and doing minute 'open up' feints during the fights? Wouldn't look good onscreen.

I don't find Nic a very versatile actor but he does have natural talent with martial arts.

Someone doesn't know James Dean? Isn't he supposed to be the American iconic bad boy? There was a reference to him in 'Grease'.

I love Sammo Hung! Although Yuan Biao always seems unattractive to mine eyes. Whenever overweight people or those who don't think they have the 'perfect' build use their figure as an excuse that they wouldn't be flexible or capable of exercise, I so wish they can see all of Sammo's films (not to say he's 'overweight' but certainly not the figure one would expect of a martial artist of his calibre).

New here - hello.
    Took forever to finish this series and I feel there's alot of loose ends.

Nic is terrible - as an actor, he is decent but trying to post as a martial artist, he is beyond terrible.. I done Wing Chun for a while and the way he does the stance and all, I am surprise the producer let him get away with what he got away with.

Gao Ming was brilliant.. he had the flair and he moves like a killer.. and no matter what they tell you, and no matter how good a teacher is, you can NOT win against someone who's been practicing for so LONG when you only been doing it for 1 month - seriously.

I am hoping they will do a 3rd series but put GaoMing in a better position and all but highly doubt it.. someone who was at the wrong place at the wrong time and had to make wrong/tuff decision to stay alive..

What concern me was that the DVD I bought and later on, when I watch some of the episode on the net - there's a LOT of scenes that have been cut from the DVD..

It's definitely a case of uh oh!

I'm just starting watching the first few episodes of this series in Viet dubbed and can't wait to see more! I like that new guy who played Gao Ming here, tall, dark, handsome! Wow, it's very interesting to find out his name is Sammy Hung Tin Chiu, Sammo Hung's youngest son! His acting was so good in here. He should be in more movies/tv series and promoted to an action star later like his daddy. Like father, like son! I don't know why I think that he looks cute paring up with that Little Bun girl more than that girl with Nic. Sammo was good in here as always. Nic was just ok, nothing extraordinary about his acting here. The Little Bun girl is cute, I find her pretty in a very gentle way and way cuter than Rain! Rain's acting here was so boring. Anyway, good show to watch once in a while!

I guess I have just one complaint.
    Gordon Liu only appeared for one episode.

I'm pretty early in the series but the chick who likes Nicholas Tse is pretty damn cute. Anyone know the name of the actress?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    I'm pretty early in the series but the chick who likes Nicholas Tse is pretty damn cute. Anyone know the name of the actress?

her name is liu zi yan
    http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Liu_Zi_Yan

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/gaoyer/519ffaa2g70ce3cba8926.jpg')

thanx for the info and pic... i seen in another thread that you posted some pics of her

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/gaoyer/519ffaa2t542ff3662299.jpg')

She's a damn cutie... She looks better in the series tho
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 07-06-09 at 06:07 PM.

i'm on episode 17 now. The visuals in this series is fantastic. I loved how the way they filmed the series and the DVD transfer has nice constrast and is pristine. Nice stuff. This could be one of the best looking series i've seen yet. The story so far is pretty good, not bad. They recently introduced Sammo Hung's character. I'm still waiting for the kung-fu scenes, there's not too many so far. Can't wait until Sammo Hung busts some moves.

Pretty boring actually. Especially the side story of Nic's doctor bro and his schizo girlfriend. And Nic's fighting is very wooden unlike his performance in Dragon Tiger Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    Pretty boring actually. Especially the side story of Nic's doctor bro and his schizo girlfriend. And Nic's fighting is very wooden unlike his performance in Dragon Tiger Gate.
    i thought so too! this was one series i didn't like nic's acting much...if at all.

Edited to all: i like the series for yuen biao, sammo and sammy. i could rewatch their scenes but nic's are quite painful.
    ---------
    Shellie

Nic's brother's part made the drama lose its kungfu edge, i recall I checked twice am I watching the right channel coz it seems far from kungfu (well he's a doc isn't he?) i thought it was a typical semi-modern love drama.. I've seen a few episodes on Wing Chun and there isn't much interesting parts, other than the star-studded cast (typically Nic and Sammo). Does Nic end up with the girl he loves? and what happens to the girl Little Bun who loves him?
    Nic is in far too many kungfu series, take Hero for example
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

I just finished watching the series. Overall i'll give it 3.5/5 stars.

I was a little disappointed because there isn't that much fight scenes. I was also hoping to see Nicholas fight his dad at the end but the series just ended. The cinematography and how they filmed the series was very professional. This was probably the best-looking series i've seen. The DVD transfer was excellent. The series also got kinda draggy towards the middle and the overall storyline was only average. I still think Nicholas can't act. Thank god he didn't have that much screen time.

What hooked me in the series was liu zi yan. She's a cutie.

So overall, this series is average or slightly above average. It's the fantastic visuals (the filming, the lighting, etc.) that kept me going.