Thread: ROCH: The closest picture to the novel

Default ROCH: The closest picture to the novel

(I think this thread belongs to this forum.) Okay, since there are so many different adaptations to ROCH, I wanted to start the task of painting the perfect story that would be closest to the third edition of the novel by glueing together all the different versions in film:

ROCH 83 (Andy Lau)
    ROCH 95 (Louis Koo)
    ROCH 98 (Christopher Lee)
    ROCH 00 ? (Richie Ren--total butcher of the story)
    ROCH Anime
    ROCH 06 (Huang Xiao Ming)

The task is cut bits and pieces of each movie/series that stuck to the novel as best as possible. I want to be really detailed in this so we can understand the book (or paint a picture of the novel to the best of our abilities). For example, costume, display of a special move, words, etc.

I have only read the 2nd edition and dont think any thing changed in the first chapter. Here is my go at it. Please jump in to correct since I don't remember the details from the 98 version and did not watch the Richie Ren version.

Novel starts out with Lu Wushang and Cheng Ying on a boat meeting an old man under a willow tree. CHeng Ying gives him a lotus flower to eat. The old man takes Lu Wushang. She bites down on him. He asks her for Yuanjun.

[Hmm, this is hard. I would have no clue on this one, since I believe none of the series start out like so. Which is the closest? ROCH 95?]

Eek...this is kinda hard. From the ones I've watched (all except 98 and the anime version), none of them start out like this. But, my vote would go to the 83 version since it actually starts off with the two girls. Both the 95 and 06 versions start out with Li Mo Chou. As for the Richie Ren version...actually, I don't remember how that one starts. I so sickened by the wanton slaughter of story by that version that I try to wipe everything from my mind about it.

btw, though i haven't read the novel officially yet, when i glanced at it a couple of years ago, i thought that it began with the poem that Li Mo Chou always recites? Or is my faulty memory playing tricks on me?

Yeah there is mention of a poem and some scholar, but the novel really starts with the girls. I guess it would have to be 83 version. The 95 version starts with LMC killing the Dali priest before shifting to the girls. 06 version starts with LMC killing the Lu's off right away.

The next part is the old man digging up the graves.

[I'm just using the fan translations as reference so I don't have to reread. http://www.spcnet.tv/readingrooms/vi...nslationID=10]

Hmm, this is hard since the 95 version deviates from the novel in this part. I don't remember much from the 83 version.

I see, I see. I'm reading Xiao Ao Jiang Hu right now while translating HSDS all at the same time so i don't really have time to read ROCH...hehe...i'm such an overachiever...

Anyway, I think this next part has to go to the 83 version again. I just rewatched the beginning to be sure. There is a scene in that adaptation that has Wu San Tong walking away from an upturned grave with a skeleton in his arms.

Yep so far 83 is closest to the novel depicting the first few scenes.

The next scene:
    [A woman stands outside the Lu Manor to explain about the circumstances]

This is split right here. The 95 version does depict this very well. However, the characters are changed. Therefore this part will need to go to 83 again.

[Next scene is the kids outside and Lu Wushange breaks her leg/]

Hmm, 95 version right? Don't recall 98 version.

Hehe...I've been in Australia the past week...no free internet in the hotels there....

Anyway, yup. From what i remember, should be 95.
    如果要让我活 让我有希望的活
    我从不怕爱错 就怕没爱过
    ~“孙悟空” - 五月天

难道说难道说 这性格是我的错
    你不会欣赏我是你的自由
    怎么说怎么说都认为你不值得
    你走了才发现这个世界没改变
    ~“平底鞋女生” - 迷子

hmmm...although many parts of the 95 version seemed like it was taken directly from the book, i must say that they missed out on many details, and i cant get over the fact that they used almost zero animals! i mean, there were no horses, the bull that YG rode on to save Lu Wushang from LMC was non-existant, and the eagles were terribly fake. also, the final battle btwn GJ, HR, & the mongolians was a disappointment. we didnt get to see the brilliant plan that HYS came up with to fight the mongolians to rescue GX.

anyways, what was the next scene after Lu Wushang broke her leg? aiyahhh i swear, i have the memory of a seventy year old woman...i cant remember what happened even though i just re-read the novel...

The 81? stances to catch the sparrows, Beauty first--shown perfectly in ONLY the anime version. All the other stances did not stay true to the version how YG slowly progressed from room to room

LMC shows up--this would be 95/83 version? 95 followed sequences and words but simplified the story. 83 better depiction.