Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best Yang guo and best Xiao long nu?

andy's version of sad palms was the closest to the novel. the choreography match the stances in the book well.

I actually watched 83 version a long time ago and adored it. Then I watched 98 version with Chris and thought it was so so. I didn't actually watch Louis version until 2000 and read then 2nd edition a year later. Therefore, I never knew the story before hand and used the 83 plot until I read the novel. I enjoy every version because of different things. The only version that I hated on the Richie version. Therefore, the different portrayals in each version has its good and bad.

And I do agree with you on the screaming part, how come the director put some many screaming scenes? To me, just horrible editing and scripting.
    Last edited by hkopinions; 09-16-06 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110
    i think i'm the one person that can really comment on the acting, because as u all know. i never read the novel. actually i skim through the novel. i know the plot but didn't read it carefully enough to know the specific things about the character. alot of my opinions are logic base...

For example. XLN was rasied in a confine space seperated from the real world. therefore it accounts for her cold personallity... ect. ect...

what i'm basing on my opinion is whether it was logical and realistic. and for me, just for me. the new XLN and YG is nice to watch, but after u are done it, something is still missing, seems like they can't fullfill the logical part of the story... that didn't happen with the 95 version.

personally alot of this stuff u can't blame the actor/actress for not following the novel because changes are always made, and they do what the director wants most of the time.

i'll give an example. the new YG scream like an idiot all the time. regardless of what the novel said, no one scream like that, in any world/universe, someone who does that is loosing screws in his head.

these JY novel are so popular for many things, but one of the thing that we do like in them are the realism, it's taking place in a wierd wierd circumstance, yet you see something in there that resemblance the world u're in. and the key word here is REALISM... when u starting to step out of that, then it's not appealing anymore. and just one last thing, he didn't look at the right age, but that's just a minor thing.... no real problem on that... in reality alot of the JY character are all base on discriptions, and ofcouse there'll be variation, there insn't a real life and flesh YG for u to base it on.
    just bugs me when people say lyf didnt fit the description or that she suppose to look older than yg. in the novel, xln look much younger than yg. however, people use the previous xln to compare with the recent one.

as for hxm, i'm not going to say he's a bad actor base only one role. hxm did a wonderful job in other series. he's the only yg who tried to follow the novel. i admit...i did not like his dubbed voice. actually, he was okay when he was talking but his laughs was irritating. well, he's the only actor in the whole series who took the chance to dubbed his own voice. if he had it professionally done, i bet some of you would have thought differently about his performance. come on...a 28 years old man trying to act like a 16-18 years kid? it's very hard. previous yg took the safe route and just act like an adult.
    Last edited by crazylife123; 09-16-06 at 01:39 AM.

Frankly,

ROCH has been done too many times such that it has lost all its appeal for me in terms of story. and frannkly, none of the adptations so far was really fantastic. I can say that till now, there has not been any TV serial of ROCH that I consider well done....not even Andy's. It is much better in terms of story only because it was compared to ROCH06 but Andy's ROCH lacked the other elements.

I think it's safe to say that ZJZ was having his PMS when he made HXM into a screaming ape. It's pretty rare since the last time ZJZ had a PMS was in LOCH when he made LYP overdo his role until his YG came across as a total retard.

Quote Originally Posted by hkopinions
    And I do agree with you on the screaming part, how come the director put some many screaming scenes? To me, just horrible editing and scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    just bugs me when people say lyf didnt fit the description or that she suppose to look older than yg. in the novel, xln look much younger than yg. however, people use the previous xln to compare with the recent one.

as for hxm, i'm not going to say he's a bad actor base only one role. hxm did a wonderful job in other series. he's the only yg who tried to follow the novel. i admit...i did not like his dubbed voice. actually, he was okay when he was talking but his laughs was irritating. well, he's the only actor in the whole series who took the chance to dubbed his own voice. if he had it professionally done, i bet some of you would have thought differently about his performance. come on...a 28 years old man trying to act like a 16-18 years kid? it's very hard. previous yg took the safe route and just act like an adult.
    not even ONCE did i mentioned LYF didn't look right for the role

I said the new YG's age isn't a big factor because the dude can't help it looking old. he is OLD, nothing he can do to change that, so it was a minor thing.

i think my post was talking about something else besides looks.

not even ONCE did i mentioned LYF didn't look right for the role

I said the new YG's age isn't a big factor because the dude can't help it looking old. he is OLD, nothing he can do to change that, so it was a minor thing.

i think my post was talking about something else besides looks.
    i didnt say you...'people' could mean you but also other members in this forum.

i think i'm the one person that can really comment on the acting, because as u all know. i never read the novel. actually i skim through the novel. i know the plot but didn't read it carefully enough to know the specific things about the character. alot of my opinions are logic base...

For example. XLN was rasied in a confine space seperated from the real world. therefore it accounts for her cold personallity... ect. ect...

what i'm basing on my opinion is whether it was logical and realistic. and for me, just for me. the new XLN and YG is nice to watch, but after u are done it, something is still missing, seems like they can't fullfill the logical part of the story... that didn't happen with the 95 version.

i'll give an example. the new YG scream like an idiot all the time. regardless of what the novel said, no one scream like that, in any world/universe, someone who does that is loosing screws in his head.
    I'm the second person who felt it too. ROCH06 is nice to watch too but after I done watching it, somehow I felt there is something is still missing, the series felt like in a dreamy world, it felt soo modern rather than ancient mood, that is not how people actually live back then(ancient time). The 95 version gives the ancient mood like that is how people actually live in the ancient time, it's looks and feels releastic, 06 version feels too much modern and like a fantasy more rather than should be an ancient time/mood.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    come on...a 28 years old man trying to act like a 16-18 years kid? it's very hard. previous yg took the safe route and just act like an adult.
    So HXM is 28yrs. old when filming ROCH06? Yeah, it must be hard for him to act a 16yrs YG right? LYF is easy because she's 18yrs. and acted a 18yrs. old XLN.

Other past YGs actors(Andy, Louis, & Chris.) must be around 22-25yrs. when filming ROCH too. So they shouldn't have any problem trying to act like 16-18yrs. YG.

What about other past XLNs actresses(Idy, Carman, & Fann), they're around 22-24 yrs when filming ROCH too and yeah it must hard for them trying to act a 18yrs. old XLN.

Its not that he had a problem playing a 16year old, its that HXM had a pretty bad script to run with to play his part. The script made YG to kiddie like in the beginning so that we can see him change throughout the movie. Louis Koo's character was very static throughout until he became the Condor Hero. Maybe the director and script writers didn't think about how they put too many screams, hollers, and laughs into YG's character making it annoying at times. I don't blame the actor because I have seen HXM play other playful character (ex, The Han emperor) and was very playful and not annoying one bit.
    Last edited by hkopinions; 09-18-06 at 08:53 AM.

Yeah so it's the script writer fault for made HXM's YG so annoying, overly acting, and fake. The best YG is Andy Lau(look and acting) , next is Christopher Lee(look and acting), and lastly HXM(acting on the 2nd half to end of the series).

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

wow - i can't believe the battle for the best YG & XLN is still going on. but haha -it's fine with me. i've watch the 06 version around last month...hmm
    i dun really mind LYF - she's a pretty enough actress - it's just that i hate all her 'flowery' acting/fighting and overflowing emotions - guess can't blame her for that coz it's all about the director's decision - but does her scenes have to be THAT showy? i mean come on - the whole show is totally focused on making her look 'pretty'.
    And altho there's so much 'emotions' flowing from both her n HXM - none of it seems to connect - i agree with the past posts - they totally hv no chemistry.

guess i still prefer 95 version.
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

ANDY LAU AND IDY CHAN. I ALSO LIKE LOUIS TOO.

how many of these threads have we had?

i think we could merge them all into one super big argument.

nevertheless, my vote goes to Louis Koo for YG

liu yi fei and huang xiao ming!!!!!!!!

"who is the best Yang guo and best Xiao long nu?" in term of look?

well, that's obviously definitely louis n carman, they're the most compatible couple the best yg&xln

I'm torn, I love both Andy and Louis...I can't decide...but I like Carmen as Xiao Long Nu.
    I'm not even Chinese or Thai, but I am obsessed with their TV series. Current obsession: Ken Theeradeth Wonpuapan. He has super good looks and is very talented.

No, age is not the factor. It's the look. HXM looks too mature and muscle-headed. YG is suppose to be a pretty boy (he's a clone of YK who looks like his hot mom) not a muscle head.

And HXM just doesn't look good in messy long hair and Song costume. Yuan Hong pulls off that look much better.

Some people can be in their late 20s or 30s, but look barely out of school. E.g. Wallace Chung - age-wise he's older than HXM but looks years younger than him.

I'd say Louis Koo has YG's pretty boy look down pat, but no one has ever matched up to Andy's acting. Andy Lau's YG is the best ever and closest to the novel - his is the only YG who doesn't make me cringe whenever he calls "Gu Gu".

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Yong1 View Post
    So HXM is 28yrs. old when filming ROCH06? Yeah, it must be hard for him to act a 16yrs YG right? LYF is easy because she's 18yrs. and acted a 18yrs. old XLN.

Other past YGs actors(Andy, Louis, & Chris.) must be around 22-25yrs. when filming ROCH too. So they shouldn't have any problem trying to act like 16-18yrs. YG.

What about other past XLNs actresses(Idy, Carman, & Fann), they're around 22-24 yrs when filming ROCH too and yeah it must hard for them trying to act a 18yrs. old XLN.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 06-27-10 at 11:38 PM.

in term of EVERYTHING, best XLN: carmen lee!

no opinion for best YG but i thought Louis is quite good.

Without a thought, Andy is the best YG. The man has it all
    Christopher Lee's portrayal was pretty good, Louis was only average and HXM was too mischevious and dramatic for my liking.

I'd say the best XLN is Idy Chan. Carman, again she's icy beautiful but heck, she's like a wooden doll. The character itself was never an attraction to me but I appreciated Idy's portrayal for giving something more beyond. LYF wasn't too bad herself. The rest, no comment.

HXM as YG is so bad that i cudn't endure to finish the series and ROCH is suppose to be my favorite wuxia adaptaion. ROCH 95 is the best and the couple really did it. my fav on screen couple.